Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How did I only just hear about peposo? Did you all know and kept it to yourselves? For shame gws. It's simple enough that in a universe where I was more clever I could have come up with it at home on my own, but sadly I didn't and years have been wasted not eating it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MarsPearl posted:

Funnily enough, the British diet during WW2 was probably the healthiest it's ever been. The dig for victory campaign was a godsend to working class nutrition at the time.

Worth bearing in mind the black market was a lot more pervasive than either propaganda back then or popular memory would have you believe, of course.... (if you could afford it)

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
is there a slow cooker thread? looking for new stews and soups to make for winter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7151116791845162286

Kinda curious to try space food

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Does one need to soak beans before cooking them in a pressure cooker?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nope

Ninja edit: pressure cookers are great for dried chickpeas. Easy and cheap hummus.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Nope

Ninja edit: pressure cookers are great for dried chickpeas. Easy and cheap hummus.

Thanks!

I was thinking about chickpeas. That’s a killer use. I want to use more dried beans and chickpeas but it needs so much forethought; being able to chuck them into a pressure cooker and get cooked one fresh in 45m or whatever is very appealing.

This partly prompted it but it’s been on my mind for a while

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0015tp6?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile
(Not sure if link works outside of UK).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Thanks!

I was thinking about chickpeas. That’s a killer use. I want to use more dried beans and chickpeas but it needs so much forethought; being able to chuck them into a pressure cooker and get cooked one fresh in 45m or whatever is very appealing.

This partly prompted it but it’s been on my mind for a while

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0015tp6?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile
(Not sure if link works outside of UK).

This is the method I use for chickpeas

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/265065/pressure-cooker-hummus/

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The best thing about these food units is that you gain health just by walking over them

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I shuddered.

Biggest thing I’m excited to finally move from my city apartment to our country-adjacent house is the pressure cooker. My partner fears them, and I am not accustomed to all this space, and time. Together, we will feast on delicious beans, should Rancho Gordo ever come through with the bean club.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm very ambivalent about pineapple in Italian food. On one hand I really like how it enrages uptight middlebrow food purists even more than cream in carbonara. On the other hand i don't really think it tastes very good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Should've called it Hawaiian carbonara.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm more triggered by people calling non-spaghetti pasta "spaghetti" than I ever will be by inclusion or exclusion of whatever ingredients in Italian food on a British news site. I'm sure Hawaiian spaghetti makes a better meal than coal rubbed on bread or whatever they were planning to have.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m definitely thinking of a slow pressure cooker. I already have a combination rice cooker/slow cooker; for space reasons a pressure cooker that was those things too would be handy. I see some Instant Pots are multi functional. Any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 7, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

therattle posted:

I’m definitely thinking of a slow cooker. I already have a combination rice cooker/slow cooker; for space reasons a pressure cooker that was those things too would be handy. I see some Instant Pots are multi functional. Any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Instant pots are good. If I was put into a situation where I could only have one cooking implement with a single standard plug, an instant pot would be on the short list. Definitely top 3 for that scenario.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I’m definitely thinking of a slow pressure cooker. I already have a combination rice cooker/slow cooker; for space reasons a pressure cooker that was those things too would be handy. I see some Instant Pots are multi functional. Any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

I only use the manual pressure cook function on mine and I imagine a lot of folks are like that. They all offer a bunch of other features so just decide what you think you’ll use it for. Then it’s just picking the size. I think mine’s a 6 quart and it’s been perfect for me but I don’t really know how to best select a size.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I only use the manual pressure cook function on mine and I imagine a lot of folks are like that. They all offer a bunch of other features so just decide what you think you’ll use it for. Then it’s just picking the size. I think mine’s a 6 quart and it’s been perfect for me but I don’t really know how to best select a size.

Great, thanks. I already use the slow cook and rice cook functions on my combi rice/slow cooker, so i would want those to work well, plus the pressure cooker. I will measure how much volume my rice cooker has - it's about right.

CommonShore posted:

Instant pots are good. If I was put into a situation where I could only have one cooking implement with a single standard plug, an instant pot would be on the short list. Definitely top 3 for that scenario.

Thanks. I will definitely explore them. I am looking forward to some tidy good beans.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone else I think mentioned, you may want to keep your rice cooker around (or Invest in a small cheap dedicated rice cooker), since often times what you’re cooking in the pressure cooker you will want to serve with rice.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Found a good deal on a Breville Smart Oven, BOV860 on ebay. Used, but free returns. Amazon Warehouse had similar deals for the ovens a couple steps down. Arrives today and I’m going to throw a chicken bake at it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

As someone else I think mentioned, you may want to keep your rice cooker around (or Invest in a small cheap dedicated rice cooker), since often times what you’re cooking in the pressure cooker you will want to serve with rice.

That's a good point but they are both really quite bulky appliances and I think on those occasions I can just make rice on the stove top. We do eat rice quite a lot as my son is coeliac (and we all love rice).

As a treat i got some smoked mackerel for my son last week. He wanted it on a sandwich (he loves sandwiches), and initially suggested it with ketchup. i told him that wouldn't work,. so the next thing he said, out of nowhere, was horseradish - which very much would work. I gave him a bit to try. He loved it, had it on the rest of the sandwich, and then on his hamburger this weekend. He has started an after-school cooking club, which he's really enjoying. That boy loves eating - it's great that he's starting to get into cooking too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

idk about sizes, but the sautee and slow cook functions are good too. I don't use any of the programmable poo poo just different versions of "get hot."

Some Chinese immigrant friends of mine simply bought two Instant Pots. They use one for rice exclusively.

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

As a treat i got some smoked mackerel for my son last week. He wanted it on a sandwich (he loves sandwiches), and initially suggested it with ketchup. i told him that wouldn't work
What if it was a Pittsburgh style sandwich with french fries in it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I'm more triggered by people calling non-spaghetti pasta "spaghetti" than I ever will be by inclusion or exclusion of whatever ingredients in Italian food on a British news site. I'm sure Hawaiian spaghetti makes a better meal than coal rubbed on bread or whatever they were planning to have.

Thatcher closed all our coal mines in the 80s. It's just bread now. With dripping if you're lucky.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For bean soaking I almost always soak even though it's not strictly necessary. I've been doing a soak with salt/baking soda (15/5 gram per liter of water respectively) as suggested by serious eats. I've been doing black beans this way and the texture is fantastic.

If you pressure cook you've got to make sure to do a good rinse though, they might be more prone to foaming up. So either skim the foam during a lid-off boil before closing or make sure to rinse well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

What if it was a Pittsburgh style sandwich with french fries in it

He LOVES carbs so he’s happily eat that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Instant pot ordered. Now to order some prime beans and chickpeas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/diannaeanderson/status/1578424846647951361?s=46&t=vNOcMBv81w9b2eo4Bzya7Q

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Here come ze Germans

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7151446719538957574

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7151794644341230854

This is especially funny thinking about how good all my viet friends are at home cooking, viets are S tier

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve just come back from a couple of days in Germany, and I agree that no-one else should eat German food, I will take that bullet

I’m basically Jesus for doing this, drinking beer and eating wurst and schnitzel for your sins

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
rattle, keep the rice cooker. Instant pot is trash at making rice. Trust me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I wouldn't recommend using an instant pot for rice in general

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I’ve just come back from a couple of days in Germany, and I agree that no-one else should eat German food, I will take that bullet

I’m basically Jesus for doing this, drinking beer and eating wurst and schnitzel for your sins

I have such fond memories of visiting Bar convent Berlin and taking a friend for his first Döner Kebab. Place only served that and 5cl bottles of Jäegermeister.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why does my daughter like Moxie so much? I can't get this poo poo with my groceries, someone's gotta go to Maine

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

rattle, keep the rice cooker. Instant pot is trash at making rice. Trust me.

Trust you?

Noted. I’ll think about it. I also have to figure out where to keep the rice cooker (which isn’t amazing but does the job). I am making an Ethiopian wat tonight with yellow slit peas: a perfect first use for the IP (it just arrived).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Trust you?

Noted. I’ll think about it. I also have to figure out where to keep the rice cooker (which isn’t amazing but does the job). I am making an Ethiopian wat tonight with yellow slit peas: a perfect first use for the IP (it just arrived).

Yes, you butt. Trust me. I go through like 5 kg of rice a month. Also, I work for a rice company. I could bore you for hours about rice. The instant pot is a fine appliance, but it’s not gonna replace a rice cooker. If I could figure out where to keep a rice cooker in my postage stamp of a studio, you can find space for the Most Important Appliance Ever. (The rice cooker, that is.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

dino. posted:

Yes, you butt. Trust me. I go through like 5 kg of rice a month. Also, I work for a rice company. I could bore you for hours about rice. The instant pot is a fine appliance, but it’s not gonna replace a rice cooker. If I could figure out where to keep a rice cooker in my postage stamp of a studio, you can find space for the Most Important Appliance Ever. (The rice cooker, that is.)
Propaganda from big rice!

Seriously though even the cheapest rice cooker will cook great rice that's better than an instant pot. Instant pots are sealed so they can't boil off the liquid to get the consistency right

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm on team wheat but you can make bread in a rice cooker

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Trust you?

:haw:

I actually had exactly that situation tonight: made wat and rice and used the IP and the RC. Also made this cabbage, potato carrot dish, which is REALLY good. I used to wonder what to do with cabbages when we got them in our veg box but now when they arrive I’m happy as we can make this. It doesn’t look that great but it’s extremely tasty. I find there’s something almost magical about dishes with very few ingredients that turn out so well.

I also made an apple crumble with some apples that had been sitting in the fridge and am now sitting enjoying a quiet moment with a gingery beer before my son’s bath is finished before we eat.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/05/ethiopian-recipes-from-mazi-mas-we-like-to-eat-slowly-with-family

2nd recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Help me spoon goons.

There was a parody text taking the piss out of online/blog recipes and how they have 268 paragraphs of life story ("I remember those halcyon days of growing up on my Grandmother's farm..." type thing) then eventually just a really simple recipe. I think somebody here wrote it. The punchline was something like "Take 1 egg. Eat a egg".

Searching gets me loads of people grumbling about the trend but not this one. Would love to read it again as it was loving hilarious. Any ideas?