Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Whichever one where they're in the insane asylum is still my favorite. I wanna say it's the second or third one .

But yeah check them out regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

Whichever one where they're in the insane asylum is still my favorite. I wanna say it's the second or third one .

But yeah check them out regardless.

Yeah that sounds like the second one. The first half, the insane asylum half, is probably the weaker part. The second half is loving rad as all poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember liking the first Hellraiser and it scaring me as a kid. But my only vivid memory of the series is one of them having CDs sticking out of his head and throwing the CDs at people in a later movie lol.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
That would be Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, which also features a “Camerahead Cenobite”…

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Hellraiser (?) was my first movie experience where Cop Was Bad. As in like you may be going to hell, bad. Because he did cocaine, you see. Also hookers corruption and parental neglect? It was a long time ago and just like pile up guilt in a semi religious way and have some pinhead make the character regret his dumb life.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Medullah posted:

I started it but I'm getting pissed it has ads in the middle of the goddamn movie. I'm fine with 3 minutes of ads before the movie starts but I can't remember it EVER being this intrusive. Taking me out of the story seeing boner pill ads abruptly

i've never gotten boner pill ads on mine :raise:

i do get ads for birth control because it's under my wife's email address though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hellraiser (?) was my first movie experience where Cop Was Bad. As in like you may be going to hell, bad. Because he did cocaine, you see. Also hookers corruption and parental neglect? It was a long time ago and just like pile up guilt in a semi religious way and have some pinhead make the character regret his dumb life.

I think you’re describing Hellraiser Inferno, which is the fifth one. It’s the last vestige of something in the general neighborhood of quality after two horrendous entires and before a stretch of further abysmal sequels, but it’s not really good per se.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

i've never gotten boner pill ads on mine :raise:

i do get ads for birth control because it's under my wife's email address though

It was actually something like depression pills but I thought boner pills sounded funnier. :D

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I've only ever watched the very first Hellraiser but I'm curious if the series has sunk to a level of desperation such that one of the movies has a Pinhead origin story.

I can hear the pitch. "Sure, we all know and fear and *cheer* for Pinhead the Cenobite, but we've never gotten to know Pinhead the man.

He was born Pinkerton Head, the only son of a famous acupuncturist...."

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 8, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i reviewed the new hellraiser for a friend's podcast this morning (it's fine) and until then i didn't realize there were eight other films, i thought it was one of those "oh they made like three and then called it good" deals

i can't even imagine how bad they get lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Replyedit thing

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

david_a posted:

I think you’re describing Hellraiser Inferno, which is the fifth one. It’s the last vestige of something in the general neighborhood of quality after two horrendous entires and before a stretch of further abysmal sequels, but it’s not really good per se.

Yeah it wasn’t fun and felt preachy but at least it was preaching against a cop and not those darn sex having teens from some franchises. Those would admittedly be earlier in the horror timeline but there are always throwbacks like Fever Lake (omfg there’s a rifftrax I know what I’m doing tonight).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

veni veni veni posted:

Samaritan is very stupid but it’s stupid in a way that feels like it’s a movie from 1991, which made it pretty enjoyable.

I definitely feels like a movie from 1991, but it's one of the lovely ones that had too many copies in Blockbuster so you reluctantly watch it and then waste 2 hours of your life with a boring movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don’t get me wrong, it’s terrible but I found it entertaining enough.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I've only ever watched the very first Hellraiser but I'm curious if the series has sunk to a level of desperation such that one of the movies has a Pinhead origin story.

I can hear the pitch. "Sure, we all know and fear and *cheer* for Pinhead the Cenobite, but we've never gotten to know Pinhead the man.

His origin is revealed in part 2

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

They already get to this point by the third one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it look like the OG Hellraiser is on Tubi :twisted:
hell yeah

https://tubitv.com/movies/478798/hellraiser?start=true

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5_-ZqJKzNc

The scene rules and comes back later in the plot

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pinhead getting "made" is in hellraiser 2, the person who becomes pinhead is in hellraiser 3. The origin of the box is hellraiser 4.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Pointed this out in another thread lastnight while watching Hellraiser. I couldn’t unsee Gideon in a wig as the main character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me she looked like Alia Shawkat, but if she was a balloon and someone let 30% of the air out of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone should check out Deadstream on Shudder. It's really good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

a sexual elk posted:

Pointed this out in another thread lastnight while watching Hellraiser. I couldn’t unsee Gideon in a wig as the main character.

I kept seeing the daughter character from the Dinosaurs! TV sitcom.

Also, I had such higher hopes for Hellraiser 22, but it felt like something was missing. I kept bracing for something that never quite came.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I thought she looked like the dude from stranger things that played the Metallica song. Probably just the hair that did it though

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The new season of Avenue 5 premiers tonight. I don't remember the first season at all, so I'm rewatching it. I hope the second season is good; I like The Orville, but I like Hugh Laurie better than Seth MacFarlane.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think they’re pretty different shows too. Just both in space. I don’t remember liking the jokes on avenue 5 but I’ll check out new season

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone should check out Deadstream on Shudder. It's really good.

Agreed! What an absolute blast

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inspector Hound posted:

The new season of Avenue 5 premiers tonight. I don't remember the first season at all, so I'm rewatching it. I hope the second season is good; I like The Orville, but I like Hugh Laurie better than Seth MacFarlane.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. Had no idea it was ever coming back. It had some moments.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone else finding the new Interview With the Vampire kinda boring?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Anyone else finding the new Interview With the Vampire kinda boring?

I actually watched the first three episodes today (I signed up for a free week trial of AMC + to watch the final season of Better Call Saul, and despite advertising it as one of the shows to watch on the platform, apparently they actually don't have the show) and was surprised at how much I've liked it so far. Turns out it's from one of the producers of Breaking Bad and BCS. I like the acting, I love this take on Lestat compared to the Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend versions. I love how they're leaning heavily into the implied gay relationship between them. I'm really loving the reporter doing a great impression of Anthony Bourdain. I'm liking how the reporter is pointing out how Louis is an unreliable narrator.

I've never read the book, so I have no idea how accurate it is to the book (aside from the obvious change in race for Louis, and changing it from the late 1700s to the 1920s).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

I've never read the book, so I have no idea how accurate it is to the book (aside from the obvious change in race for Louis, and changing it from the late 1700s to the 1920s).

I’ve only read one book by Anne Rice and formed a lot of opinions from it. The Vampire Lestat is extremely homoerotic, the movie follows.

I only found out the show existed and the guy is doing the same clipping that Brad Pitt did.

As a goon I have to say he’s certainly illiterate

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I enjoyed Werewolf by Night wayyyy more then I expected where the hell did this come from?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Upsidads posted:

I enjoyed Werewolf by Night wayyyy more then I expected where the hell did this come from?

It was fun! Curious to see where they'll take it going forward in the MCU.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Upsidads posted:

A composer who never go to direct and went all out on his first try

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I actually watched the first three episodes today (I signed up for a free week trial of AMC + to watch the final season of Better Call Saul, and despite advertising it as one of the shows to watch on the platform, apparently they actually don't have the show)

While you've got the service -- if you've still got the service -- check out Moonhaven and Pantheon. Both pretty cool, under the radar, sci-fi shows that I've been really enjoying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm really loving the reporter doing a great impression of Anthony Bourdain. I'm liking how the reporter is pointing out how Louis is an unreliable narrator.

Fun fact, I thought Eric Bogosian and Bourdain were the same person for a really, really long time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

A composer who never go to direct and went all out on his first try

Giaccino made a really rad metafiction concept album a few years back that showed off his storytelling ambitions.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The new Hellraiser started off pretty decent, but man; it got lamer and lamer as it went along. Like, it felt like something that came out in 2003 direct to DEE VEE DEE, and not in a fun way. In that, "no one will care" way. The woman playing Pinhead was fine, but i missed the black leather bondage dress the original wore.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It felt like it became 13 Ghosts, without the best part, Shaggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

a sexual elk posted:

It felt like it became 13 Ghosts, without the best part, Shaggy.

I was thinking the same thing when Voight showed up.