Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Taima posted:

Are you saying people thought the FE design was good for OC?

As far as I understood the plans of my brother the FE models are best suited for DIY customizing of watercooling solutions. He wants to fiddle and tweak the FE and not paying the boardpartners.

I prefer the out of the box/plug’n’play AIB models and get more fps than the FE but it is still quieter and cooler…..while beeing aware that that’s another 500 Euro on top.
That’s the tax for getting the best tested and stable all around cooling+noise+overclocking add ons including warranty.
That’s 2500 Euro but my last holiday trip with my wife was more expensive than the 4090 will be and it’s my hobby after all.

I already got a buyer for my 3090 as well so that helps funding the 4090.
e: He bought the complete system later as his CPU was just too slow for the 3090.

Just wait for the tests and benchmarks if you are not already locked in for a special custom 4090.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

This has to be some kind of gimmick.

Not really, just 40+ year old gaming enthusiasts. My neighbor spends the equivalent of 3 4090s every year just for this car leasing and still has to fuel it. It’s where I shrug similar like you might now when reading about 4090 buyers :shepspends:

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

These purple lines mean my GPU is borked right?

I just got it from EVGA (3070) via their refurbished deals :(.

Will they refund me or only replace? I think i'd prefer to just get a new card at this point.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Mr.PayDay posted:

Not really, just 40+ year old gaming enthusiasts. My neighbor spends the equivalent of 3 4090s every year just for this car leasing and still has to fuel it. It’s where I shrug similar like you might now when reading about 4090 buyers :shepspends:

I’m actually 100% with you. Even the 4090 isn’t much as far as hobbies go.

For example a good mountain bike is 5k+ just for the bike not counting car mounting, accessories, clothing.

The 4090 is only relativey expensive vs historic trends, not objectively unaffordable vs any other medium to high expense hobby.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PittTheElder posted:

They were the only ones selling FE's here I think.

Were they in-store or only online?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Taima posted:

For example a good mountain bike is 5k+ just for the bike not counting car mounting, accessories, clothing.

The 4090 is only relativey expensive vs historic trends, not objectively unaffordable vs any other medium to high expense hobby.
Fair enough; I just don’t see the point in successive generations of halo products. Even during peak Moore’s Law I’d only refresh the GPU every two models.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Reasier posted:

These purple lines mean my GPU is borked right?

I just got it from EVGA (3070) via their refurbished deals :(.

Will they refund me or only replace? I think i'd prefer to just get a new card at this point.

Yep this GPU is damaged. Unfortunate… Ask for a new GPU.

And yet tragical funny because the only 2 GPUs (in 25 years of gaming GPUs) that forced me to follow the RMA process were my EVGA 980Ti and EVGA 2080Ti.

There where many whispers in the industry that EVGA had a far too expensive support and service overhead and lacked quality control.
The failed EVGA 3090s with poor soldering design confirmed by EVGA were just another issue,

Maybe they would have stayed in business with less financial incompetence and better products.
Igor Wallosek alias Igor‘s Lab had some similar takes here.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The 4090 will keep it's value longer than a Peloton at least, and Nvidia isn't in any danger of going bust either.

If you break it down it's roughly 67$-80$ a month over two years to buy a 4090, and quite honestly that's really easy to spend that much on a nice dinner and a couple of drinks once a week or month.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr.PayDay posted:

There where many whispers in the industry that EVGA had a far too expensive support and service overhead and lacked quality control.
The failed EVGA 3090s with poor soldering design confirmed by EVGA were just another issue,

Part of the problem is that EVGA contracted out their assembly... the factory is incentivized to cut their own costs by cutting corners, where if you're running your own factory then presumably you won't do that because you're the one on the hook for support costs... but what's not to like about cutting your costs and letting some other client foot the bill?

the classic "mis-aligned incentives between partners" thing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m paying for a wedding this month anyway, so the 4090 looks like a pretty minor expenditure in that context. Also I want one.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

infraboy posted:

The 4090 will keep it's value longer than a Peloton at least, and Nvidia isn't in any danger of going bust either.

If you break it down it's roughly 67$-80$ a month over two years to buy a 4090, and quite honestly that's really easy to spend that much on a nice dinner and a couple of drinks once a week or month.

Exactly. I was just conservative saving money the last 2 years for the 4090 as well while liquidating the 3090 to get some money back and making another gaming buddy happy.

Asides the 4090 is a stupid irrational purchase and just a toy but who cares.
No one needs a 4090 for Pc Gaming anyway.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I’m paying for a wedding this month anyway, so the 4090 looks like a pretty minor expenditure in that context. Also I want one.
GPU Megat[H]read: The 4090 costs much less than my wedding; plus I want one.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have that same effect too when I buy something really nice I feel that splurging a little bit on a nice consumable item (usually food) it doesn't seem like a big deal at that point.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shumagorath posted:

GPU Megat[H]read: The 4090 costs much less than my wedding; plus I want one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The 4090 is a bit more defensible in this aspect I think. 3090 was just throwing a thousand bucks for a few extra frames (and because of loving miners).

I mean sure why not but I'd rather have an extra vacation.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
PC gaming is the vacation.

But yeah 4090 really only makes sense if you're pushing 4k as I have a 4k 144hz monitor and 4k/120hz TV to play with.

Still on the fence a bit until the benchmark embargo is released.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Taima posted:

It isn't and it is. Take care of that bike and you'll be using that frame forever with part swap outs here and there.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'm regularly checking MSI/Asus/Gigabyte to see if any of them release a 4090 card with a full cover water block for custom loops and so far nothing, the only water cooled cards listed at the moment are all AIO types. Hopefully someone announces one soon and it isn't permanent vaporware, I'm getting tired of pulling apart $1500+ GPUs to slap an additional $300 water block on it...

Suffering fan noise is not an option and one look at how humongous the cards are makes me seriously question if they will even fit in my well loaded full tower case.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

jisforjosh posted:

It isn't and it is. Take care of that bike and you'll be using that frame forever with part swap outs here and there.

An MTB getting serious use? No you won't. It will last a long time, but eventually it will be a serious risk of failure one way or another even if it doesn't take any abnormal abuse. And also, parts availability is not forever. The specs of things change and older parts stop being produced. My current bike is about 4 years old, probably within 10 years there will be wear parts that you cannot replace new.

It's true that PC gaming is a relatively inexpensive hobby, but that's not a particularly good argument to spend the maximum possible on it. There are plenty of other hobbies that are way cheaper if we want to go by that standard.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if there will be any meaningful performance improvement.

The 3070ti was a hot, wet and expensive fart with its 6X memory.
The 3060ti does more than fine with a 256bit bus and slower GDDR6. Only thing it needed for world domination was oddball 1.5GB memory chips to get 12GB, 8 is already cutting it awfully close now in certain games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I wonder if Nvidia has ever considered partitioning into fast and slow RAM, that could be a great way to get to where they need capacity-wise without jumping to 16GB.

Both the current gen Xboxes have a fast/slow RAM split, so developers are dealing with it already.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

K8.0 posted:

…MTB stuff…

probably within 10 years there will be wear parts that you cannot replace new.
It doesn’t really matter but
I find this very hard to believe, but it’s been years since I was a bike mechanic so idk

Electronics stuff has always been throwaway since the 90’s while bikes never have

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They had it on the 970 and it was awful, any time a game needed more than 3.5gb of ram performance took a big hit. Consoles can tolerate it because they're designing for fixed settings on fixed hardware and can explicitly manage everything. On PC it's just not worth the problems it causes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I wonder if Nvidia has ever considered partitioning into fast and slow RAM, that could be a great way to get to where they need capacity-wise without jumping to 16GB.

Both the current gen Xboxes have a fast/slow RAM split, so developers are dealing with it already.
I mean… the XBone did that too with ESRAM but it was a disaster. Making devs think harder is deeply unpopular.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there going to be games that support DLSS 3 on release, or is that just all games that already use DLSS?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

The 3070ti was a hot, wet and expensive fart with its 6X memory.
The 3060ti does more than fine with a 256bit bus and slower GDDR6. Only thing it needed for world domination was oddball 1.5GB memory chips to get 12GB, 8 is already cutting it awfully close now in certain games.

3070ti is a 3070 with 6x and 3080 power run through the core to make it look like a ti. It only has 2 more SMs! (48 vs 46)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I mean… the XBone did that too with ESRAM but it was a disaster. Making devs think harder is deeply unpopular.

Could ESRAM even be directly accessed? I thought it was effectively an L3 cache so would be completely transparent to a developer.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there going to be games that support DLSS 3 on release, or is that just all games that already use DLSS?

it requires extra work to support but here's the list of games/apps where it's confirmed to be in the works:

A Plague Tale: Requiem
Atomic Heart
Black Myth: Wukong
Bright Memory: Infinite
Chernobylite
Conqueror's Blade
Cyberpunk 2077
Dakar Desert Rally
Deliver Us Mars
Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed
Dying Light 2 Stay Human
F1Ⓡ 22
F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
Frostbite Engine
HITMAN 3
Hogwarts Legacy
ICARUS
Jurassic World Evolution 2
Justice
Loopmancer
Marauders
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Midnight Ghost Hunt
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Naraka: Bladepoint
NVIDIA Omniverse
NVIDIA Racer RTX
PERISH
Portal with RTX
Ripout
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl
Scathe
Sword and Fairy 7
SYNCED
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
THRONE AND LIBERTY
Tower of Fantasy
Unity
Unreal Engine 4 & 5
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

no idea how many will be ready for when the 4090 launches though, & a lot are games that aren't out yet

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

Sure, but the ESRAM was megabytes of fast RAM, the Series X is 10GB of fast RAM and 6GB of slow. I'd assume that really changes the strategies of how to effectively use it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wow I don't play any of those guess I can wait for the RTX 4050

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Could ESRAM even be directly accessed? I thought it was effectively an L3 cache so would be completely transparent to a developer.

it wasn't a cache, developers had to janitor it manually

usually the main framebuffer ended up there

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure, but the ESRAM was megabytes of fast RAM, the Series X is 10GB of fast RAM and 6GB of slow. I'd assume that really changes the strategies of how to effectively use it.

it's also shared with the CPU - in general the GPU resources probably all or mostly end up in the 10GB portion

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lih posted:

if the 3060 Ti refresh is actually cheaper like that suggests that's fantastic news

£369 is the regular 3060 Ti's FE msrp: https://www.scan.co.uk/nvidia/products/3060ti/ryv9wkid8295bj?g=4f07b220-1dcd-4047-8b7f-ba0d6b717d74

So no price movement up or down.

edit: I just realized that the price in that article is derived from that retail listing so it doesn't really mean anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 9, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
oh i remembered it being a little more for some reason but i think i just forgot that the price was in pounds lol

still don't really understand why they're throwing gddr6x on the 3060 ti though, surely that's just going to make it hotter & more expensive for not that much benefit in this case?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

New Samsung GDDR6 is faster than micron GDDR6x, I’m sure it’s a wafer allocation thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seems stupid that the 4090 is still using 21 gbps GDDR6X. Give us that 24 gbps goodness.

Guess that's probably coming with the Ti.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

21 gbps was probably a surer thing for yields and I absolutely agree that’s going to make an appearance on ti versions.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lih posted:

oh i remembered it being a little more for some reason but i think i just forgot that the price was in pounds lol

still don't really understand why they're throwing gddr6x on the 3060 ti though, surely that's just going to make it hotter & more expensive for not that much benefit in this case?

6X is more power efficient than 6, it’s just also clocked much higher. Maybe they are getting runt bin 6x and it won’t be clocked at 19gbps like the 3070/3080? Or maybe these are runt GA102 dies? These sort of very late SKU shenanigans are not abnormal for Nvidia to clear inventory or target weird niches, like the 1060 5GB or 2060 KO. Wouldn’t surprise me if the 3060 Ti with 6X ends up as a similar weird footnote.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

with how expensive these flagships are getting they should just bring back HBM

hopper has 3.35TB/sec bandwidth, let the gamers have that you cowards

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

3. Check your wallet