Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To be clear I was curious on what job/quest lines in ARR seemed to be more from 1.0! I do know the story picks up a lot post-ARR :D

That being said I'm very much enjoying ARR as it is, so I'm looking forward a lot to HW and onwards. I think I got heavily burnt out years ago on MMORPGs with WoW where it was just rush rush rush do all the quests to get to 90 and then all the raid content for gear to do the raid content and rush rush rush and after having played Everquest before that and tried and bounced off multiple other mmos (EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, etc) I wonder if its like enough years have gone by I'm just ready for a new mmo that actually is also just really good not just on its own merits but also in comparison to all those previous titles.

I miss EVE but I'll never have the schedule ever again to play it the fun way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
quigs, you should (and eventually, Must) do the Crystal Tower raids. They are notoriously hilarious shitshows. A mix of sprouts running it their first time who don't know the mechanics, and vets doing it for roulettes who don't care about them. You will die. Others will die. poo poo will be going off everywhere. But it's tremendous fun and you'll ooh and aah at the dungeons. IMO i would suggest going in blind for the Adventure, and then reading/watching a guide for them to figure out what the big busters are, then you'll be pro.

e: just say "hi! first time run here" and ppl should help you with the big risky spots, and the second rule is: always. stay. with. your. group. (alliance raids are split into A, B, and C 8-person groups - figure out which one you're in and stick to them like glue)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 8, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

quigs, you should (and eventually, Must) do the Crystal Tower raids. They are notoriously hilarious shitshows. A mix of sprouts running it their first time who don't know the mechanics, and vets doing it for roulettes who don't care about them. You will die. Others will die. poo poo will be going off everywhere. But it's tremendous fun and you'll ooh and aah at the dungeons.

How long on average do raids take? Need to know so I can block off IRL time accordingly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd say hour and a half to two hours from the first quest acceptance to complete. There are some cutscenes you'll want to watch, and sometimes it takes a few minutes to get a Duty Finder started up just due to the sheer raid size. Strongly recommend trying it primetime when more players will be signing up for it.

e: thats for 3 raids and all the quests and cutscenes. a single one is going to be like 15-25 minutes but i suggest doing the series of 3 all in one session for max story feels

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My god tanking is stressful. :catstare:

I have tank stance on and I'm bonking enemies to try to keep them on me, I'm not sure how Provoke works, but I try to weave between my rotation and my AoE, but I'm like not sure if I'm doing a good job. I'm just trying to do what I saw other tanks do which is run past enemies, hitting at least one of them, and pulling like 2-3 groups.

I am getting commendations though, that's reassuring.

Sometimes my health bar gets dangerously low and I'm just nervously looking at the healer :sweatdrop:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Healers tend to enjoy the game of tank hp limbo, especially if they think you're not going to get pasted immediately.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Basically for a good chunk of the game, Tanking consists more-or-less entirely of "turn stance on, spam AOE for trash mobs/do damage to boss, rinse and repeat until one of you is dead". If you can do that no one is really going to care about anything else you do.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have tank stance on and I'm bonking enemies to try to keep them on me, I'm not sure how Provoke works, but I try to weave between my rotation and my AoE, but I'm like not sure if I'm doing a good job. I'm just trying to do what I saw other tanks do which is run past enemies, hitting at least one of them, and pulling like 2-3 groups.

Sometimes my health bar gets dangerously low and I'm just nervously looking at the healer :sweatdrop:

If you have 2+ enemies, just use your aoe. The single target combo should never be used on a pack. Provoke puts you at the top of the targeted enemy's enmity list, though you'll lose that aggro if you do not then damage that enemy. In a dungeon, you'd only need provoke if you miss one of the enemies (it will have a green dot instead of a red one next to its name). Provoke is mainly used for tank swaps and add phases that are needed in some raids and trials, so it should never be used as part of a rotation. You should almost never need it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raenir Salazar posted:

We see you. And we're laughing.

No, for real, yeah that's the healer minigame in dungeons. my official orders from the Sage Cabal are: "see how much dps you can do while keeping an eye on the tank's health and laser-light-show bombing them with heals if it gets dicey, then go back to dps"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

healer here: rest assured, we are paying attention. it's just that our job is to maximize our dps and waste as little time casting heals as possible, so we get pretty good at calculating how much damage our tank can withstand before we need to drop one on ya

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Every Tank gets a ranged attack that has extra +threat, and their aura adds ridiculous +threat too. You don't need to weave Provoke and can save it for an emergency ranged snag or to trade a boss with other tanks in raid stuff later(and this takes awhile to come up at all, you just start doing Alexander fights and later stuff and it's like "oh this guy stacks stuff on the tank until they gib 'em"), your ranged attack will get snap aggro on any one monster at range pretty reliably.

Your AoE rotation with 3+ up generally does the job, though some tanks get more survivability if they do their single target, but killing stuff is mitigation too. Charging or manually running into packs and doing one AoE rotation or using your AoE button(low level content) about twice will glue threat on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I notice far too many healers try to keep my health topped up :(

Nooo let me use Bloodwhetting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FuturePastNow posted:

I notice far too many healers try to keep my health topped up :(

Nooo let me use Bloodwhetting

Yeah, learning about the 'low health -> big payoff' actions really drilled the healer role into my brain. you're supposed to let them dip a bit!

also ppl that waste a bunch of time adlo'ing or whatever the tank to full after a fight. ugh

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I tend to drop a Regen on the tank if I think a trash pull is gonna be dicey but I'll only spend the time dropping actual heals if they get below half, and I'm still a mega-sprout WHM. I have to imagine good healers can go way further before they start dedicating time to healing the tank.

e: this is assuming the leveling roulette hasn't given me loving Satasha again, in which case I only get access to Cure I and I probably won't heal you the entire dungeon :v:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quiggy posted:

e: this is assuming the leveling roulette hasn't given me loving Satasha again, in which case I only get access to Cure I and I probably won't heal you the entire dungeon :v:

lmao, the first time i rouletted sastasha as a ~50 scholar, we started and i was all "uhhh i can do faerie heals but none of my other buttons work down here, sorryyyyy"

"you idiot, put physick on your bar"

so i keep all my super lowbie spells that don't upgrade on a little trash bar over in the corner of the UI, and if i get dragged down to a low level dungeon i swap a couple in to my real hotbar real quick

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I like having the GCD filler spell on my hotbars entirely for when new fight stimuli/disaster panic overloads my brain for a few seconds and I can just target empty bars and push that a few times as I recover. Always Be Casting and all.

Otherwise yes a fun game to keep people as topped off as possible while never interrupting my damage output.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I assure you if you die while I'm healing it wasn't because I was just dpsing while playing how low can it go. It was the tanks fault. Or a dps... somehow. Lag? "hitboxes"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GloomMouse posted:

I assure you if you die while I'm healing it wasn't because I was just dpsing while playing how low can it go. It was the tanks fault. Or a dps... somehow. Lag? "hitboxes"

Rezzing tanks when they die is more mana efficient than casting healing spells the whole time they're alive.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

quiggy posted:

I just finished ARR last night and to be honest I ended up really liking it by the end, the story starts slow and it's definitely simple but it gave me enough motivation to enjoy the final sequences. Some of those end challenges are pretty interesting and tough, too!

So now that I'm onto 2.x content and then HW, mind explaining raiding in FFXIV to me? The only game I've raided in before is Destiny, where the raid teams are much smaller but basically require voice chat to survive. Is the Raid Finder a good way to do that? Are people generally chill towards healers who are new to the game and still learning? Should I just skip the ARR raiding scene and go straight to HW?
There are two raid types per extension, both with their own storyline that may or may not be relevant for other optional content (or MSQ) :
- The alliance raids : pack of 3 dungeon-y areas with half a dozen to a dozen of encounters (trashes+midbosses or bosses) to defeat, where the players are put into 3 full parties (3x8 persons = 24). There are occasionally some mechanics that require each party to do something on their own. Alliance raids are usually easy to participate in, though some mechanics can be merciless the first time you encounter them
- The normal raids : 3 pack of 4 bosses to defeat in a full party (8 people). Those are straight up like the trials you know, although some can be a little harder, and the HW normal raids have some trash mobs to fight through sometimes. They can have some dirty mechanics also but usually the fights themselves teach you how to do them.
You also have trial series which are another set of optional storyline that will involve 3 or 4 trials and occasionnaly a dungeon.

ARR is a special case because the Alliance Raid became mandatory so no escaping those, and the ARR normal raids were overtuned when they released and are still not in the duty roulette at that point. You might want to find people to run those unsynced because the story can be really important, but you can safely ignore them.

You should be able to run all of these without any problem since (except for the ARR normal raids) they are all fairly doable for casual players, just queue up with the duty finder, and say to your party you're new, there should be someone to explain important mechanics if needed.

Now if you want challenge, there are also :
- Extreme trials : harder versions of the trials (like Titan etc) that require a little cooperation usually
- Savage raids : harder normal raids that require a lot of cooperation
- Ultimate fights : weirdo super hard trials in multiple phases that you should need a full static group to challenge
Difficuly goes like this :
Trials > Alliance raids > Normal raids > Extreme trials > Savage raids > Ultimate

(e: a large portion added because I submitted by error)

Zanael fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 8, 2022

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Basically, you can just treat raids as either trials or bigger dungeons that you can queue for casually. The one big exception being Coils of Bahamut which is still not in any of the roulettes and its mechanics are more tuned towards a premade coordinated party. People usually do Coils unsynced if they want to see its story, which is pretty good.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Also don't sleep on the optional dungeons, they are usually interesting to do for the lore they can add, plus you benefit for a larger available pool in the daily roulettes.
And so you know, when a dungeon is noted "(Hard)" it's not just the same old dungeon with inflated health bars, it's usually other parts of the dungeons with totally different encounters.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, learning about the 'low health -> big payoff' actions really drilled the healer role into my brain. you're supposed to let them dip a bit!

also ppl that waste a bunch of time adlo'ing or whatever the tank to full after a fight. ugh

if its just 1 adlo they're probably doing it to pre-shield for the next pull so they can slack a bit more though

some people say the trick is to land it right when the last mob dies but I disagree, I think the trick is to swiftcast adlo after the tank takes off running

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be clear I was curious on what job/quest lines in ARR seemed to be more from 1.0! I do know the story picks up a lot post-ARR :D

That being said I'm very much enjoying ARR as it is, so I'm looking forward a lot to HW and onwards. I think I got heavily burnt out years ago on MMORPGs with WoW where it was just rush rush rush do all the quests to get to 90 and then all the raid content for gear to do the raid content and rush rush rush and after having played Everquest before that and tried and bounced off multiple other mmos (EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, etc) I wonder if its like enough years have gone by I'm just ready for a new mmo that actually is also just really good not just on its own merits but also in comparison to all those previous titles.

I miss EVE but I'll never have the schedule ever again to play it the fun way.

Off the top of my head DRG 30-50 is taken directly from 1.0, to the point that video comparisons exist and it makes parts of 2.x's plot Really Weird if you don't do it early enough.

It is very obviously not supposed to be happening concurrently with the rest of ARR, basically.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

All of the job quests canonically take place at the time they release, it's just that only dragoon 30-50 makes it really noticeable when you do it later (the CUL level 50 quest is also super weird of you do it at certain points)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

blatman posted:

if its just 1 adlo they're probably doing it to pre-shield for the next pull so they can slack a bit more though

some people say the trick is to land it right when the last mob dies but I disagree, I think the trick is to swiftcast adlo after the tank takes off running

yeah i did SCH to 74-ish before i hopped to SGE, i'd usually try to finesse a swift adlo for that. Now it's not a problem of course with insta euk diag

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

From WoW I am used to temporal distortion

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Mainwaring posted:

All of the job quests canonically take place at the time they release, it's just that only dragoon 30-50 makes it really noticeable when you do it later (the CUL level 50 quest is also super weird of you do it at certain points)

DRG 30-50 straight up does not make sense to happen during ARR given things they wrote later. Not even "Heavensward" later, just... 2.x later. Unless they're telling me at least a year passed between the end of those quests and when Estinien shows up again, a DRG WoL being indifferent to him being there is outright nonsense; they last saw the man having a massive eyeball-induced mental crisis of the sort of scale that you don't get over in a few months.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When should I worry about materia.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

When should I worry about materia.

endgame

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I found materia handy for closing a few gaps while leveling omnicrafter. In particular bridging 79-90.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Combat wise, you don't need it until you hit max level and are getting endgame gear. The only times I can think of otherwise are lvl 70 BLU or filling in the slots on your Eureka specific gear.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

euphronius posted:

I got a a major plot twist around level 47 where an identify was revealed .

Holy hell I did not think I could care and be shocked like that about a mmo .

This is from a while ago but I cannot for the life of me remember what this is referring to.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
While it's not necessary, having materia in your gear spiritbinds it faster, and any rank 8 or below materia can be removed without breaking 100% of the time. Taking a few second to meld when you get a piece of gear really has no downside.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been stuffing every materia I get into a retainer, and tried combining them with Mutamix a few times, but unless there's a faster way to get better ones out of crap, it looks like I should just sell everything below IV or V. Well, put certain IIIs on the MB, crafter quests need those.

Relyssa posted:

This is from a while ago but I cannot for the life of me remember what this is referring to.

I'm thinking Lahabrea? *checks* Yeah, Escape from Castrum Centri.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

I've been stuffing every materia I get into a retainer, and tried combining them with Mutamix a few times, but unless there's a faster way to get better ones out of crap, it looks like I should just sell everything below IV or V. Well, put certain IIIs on the MB, crafter quests need those.

I'm thinking Lahabrea? *checks* Yeah, Escape from Castrum Centri.

Ah yeah I forgot about that whole thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Relyssa posted:

Ah yeah I forgot about that whole thing.

Easy to forget since it's a momentarily shocking reveal with no actual consequences.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quiggy posted:

So now that I'm onto 2.x content and then HW, mind explaining raiding in FFXIV to me? The only game I've raided in before is Destiny, where the raid teams are much smaller but basically require voice chat to survive. Is the Raid Finder a good way to do that? Are people generally chill towards healers who are new to the game and still learning? Should I just skip the ARR raiding scene and go straight to HW?

Raiding in FF14 is, as far as I can tell, a much different (and kinder) beast than in basically any other game.

There are two main forms of raid: Alliance Raid (24-player) and Normal Raid (8-player).

Alliance Raids are considered content for any player and, barring the odd mechanic nobody properly understands or stressful fight or two, of difficulty generally on par with the MSQ of the same level.

The first set of Alliance Raids, the Crystal Tower, consist of three ~20-minute 24-player dungeons and an absolute shitload of cutscenes between queuing for each, and are required to continue the MSQ. Important stuff happens.

The Alliance Raids that follow (Mhach at 60, Ivalice at 70, Nier at 80, and the current set at 90, of which only the first has been revealed) are MSQ-optional, but very much worth the time to play them for both story and for more and fancier boss fights. Be sure to learn about math before fighting mathbot. (They are also all 20-30-minute 24-player dungeons with shitloads of cutscenes in between.)

These are best queued for via duty finder, same as you would a random dungeon that gets thrown your way.

There are two difficulty levels of Normal Raid: Normal and Savage. Normal difficulty is probably a bit harder than content at the same level, but is still absolutely doable at 3 am with a bunch of randoms who have never seen each other before and never will again, half of whom are drunk, the other half stoned, and most of them asleep. (This is hyperbole, but they're honestly really doable, even by me, and I'm Bad At Video Games).

No normal raid is required for the MSQ, but they are all good to have done.

Savage Raids are absolutely optional. They are where the rubber starts hitting the road for real, game difficulty-wise, but they are specifically non-canon fights that do not happen in the story. There is no plot attached to them. The only reasons to do them are

a) you want bigger, meaner fights
b) you want some of the gear these fights drop, which is flashier than the normal stuff and makes for good glam pieces (and, at top level, has slightly better numbers than the other stuff)

Normal Raids began as more similar to other raid formats in other games, where you'd have more dungeon-like environments, some trash packs, then a big boss or two. The trash was dropped over time, and eventually Normal Raids essentially became a series of boss fights, queued for one at a time, with their own cutscenes and plot between.

Normal Raids consist of 12* 10-15-minute duties, released in groups of four over several expansion patches, with the fourth, eighth and twelfth being a bit beefier than the others, usually.

(* one has 13 but it doesn't really count, read on)

The level 60-90 normal raids on normal difficulty can be queued for via duty finder, no problem.

Now, here's where the problem is: The level 50 raids, Coils of Bahamut, are from ancient times, and even at the normal level, were tuned way harder than need be. Running these 13 stages at-level is the equivalent of running a more modern raid set on savage difficulty. However, there is Big-Deal Plot You Will Probably Want To Know in them. It's hoped that squenix will eventually retune the series to more reasonable numbers, or make it a single-player experience, but that is a day far in the future.

Do not queue for Coils on duty finder normally. You will never get a party together.

They've changed the terminology ("undersized party" is the current nomenclature iirc), but you'll still hear people talk about running fights "unsynched." By switching the appropriate setting in duty finder, you can queue for most duties without forcing your level down. This makes the best way to queue for Coils being grabbing a couple friends, queuing unsynched, and being prepared to not mind that they're going in there as level 90s who one-shot everything to carry you through to see the plot. The plot is the most important part of Coils.

People can also farm older fights unsynched for gear drops, this can either be a solo activity or something done with a group in party finder.

For queuing for savage difficulty, that is where you want to have a team, probably with voice chat, the whole nine yards. That's not my scene, not worth the frustration imo. Someone else can give tips on how to live that life.

As regards "the raiding scene," the stuff you're mentioning in your post really only exists in savage difficulty. People are expected to field their positions, but in normal difficulty, outside of the most recent fights, people generally aren't that stressed about group performance (apart from the occasional group you land in where people think they can just out-dps mechanics that they absolutely cannot---looking at you, A9.) When you get to the 60 normal raids, just like a dungeon, the magic words "it's my first time" will take all the heat off you.

Additionally, you'll notice people referring to raid sections by an initial and a number, such as I just did, the ninth stage of the "A" fights. This is because the names can be spoilery, so they're referred to by first initial. Level 60 unlocks Alexander1-12, 70 for Omega1-12, 80 for Eden1-12, and at 90, we are currently working on Pandaemonium1-8, with the last set of four fights to arrive next year, if memory serves.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Super informative post, thank you! So it sounds like I should be safe to queue any normal difficulty raid (except Coils) with the same kind of IRL commitment as a dungeon?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

absolutely.

the level 90 stuff might be a little spicier, but that's not an issue for right now

by the time you get there, you'll know what to expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright, cool. That's definitely a relief coming from my days raiding King's Fall :negative: