Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

~Coxy posted:

So It Seems October 17, 1952

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:buddy:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Time for everyone’s favorite scribbly history and Canada and Canadian history comic: Hark! A Vagrant.

The other day I was on the subway and I saw a guy reading a newspaper. From a distance, I could make out the unmistakable hairdos of Sir John A MacDonald and Sir Wilfred Laurier glamming it up on a big full page spread. “What trouble are those two rascals causing,” I said to myself, “I know our current PM is boring but these guys are dead and can’t do much about that now. “

Though really that is the only thing that could stop those two in particular from trying.

Later I spent $1.50 to find out. I hope they appreciated it. As it turns out, the Dominion Institute is putting on a thing called MacDonald-Laurier Days to honor our big nation-builders. Not a whole lot of hullabaloo, but worth a look. The Dominion Institute is an interesting group and they published a book called ‘Great Canadian Questions’ which is in my room but you can also find the whole text online. We already know that Canadians are experts at remembering past leaders though, man anyone can tell you John A. was a drunk and you can deface Wilfred Laurier on money to make him look like Mr. Spock. A+ history class, yes yes yes.

It isn’t like things ended well for Richard anyway

Are my likenesses informed by Chester Brown well of course they are! Louis Riel is again, an extremely fascinating figure. Hero, sure. Super crazy in the end, oh yessum. I suggest picking up Brown’s book.

Say hello to me little friend!

Oh Robespierre! You’re insane

You know all of our countries are guilty of it, but drat you English have a habit of making heroes out of criminals. Dashing rogues my foot!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Lumskhund 22
Lumskhund 23
Lumskhund 24
Lumskhund 25
Bristlecone 1
Bristlecone 2

Bristlecone 3

Bristlecone 4

Bristlecone 5

Why did they choose specifically snakes as the pacifist magic booby traps? :iiam:

Talking character deaths: 45 (+1 guard)
Deaths altogether: 85+ (+2; guard & snake)
Scepter of Deaths: 10+

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The prior adventures of Torgo and The Master

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i ain't irrationally scared of snakes either, but i am rationally afraid of entering snake ceiling building

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This was seriously one of the best threads in recent memory.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really like writing, but Casey’s journal entries are not necessary to get the story, think of them as gaiden stuff that might not make it into the whole picture. I want to finish this in the next 2 or 3 years, so slice of life is pushed to text. This marks the end of Episode 5. Hit up my thread (linked in my avvie) as I'm definitely taking opinions, and I think people in THESE threads are exhausted with me writing 6 paragraph essays on comic making.

===============
Lackadaisy is about the kitty cat 1920s it's very fun, and beautiful.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Nov 28, 2022

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hempuli posted:

Why did they choose specifically snakes as the pacifist magic booby traps? :iiam:

I fully believe it is because snakes are easy to draw.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If you want to maximize the odds that a randomly-teleporting human will intersect an animal, but still leave space to walk around between the animals and actually use the rooms, then long-and-thin is ideal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

absolute lol at the insane snake house

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

absolute lol at the insane snake house

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Food $200
Guards $150
Rent $800
Snakes $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my universe is dying

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

Food $200
Guards $150
Rent $800
Snakes $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my universe is dying

Lure the landlord into your snakehouse and use the rent money you save to buy more snakes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Screaming nooooo at the snake being hammered to death God dammit he was innocent.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Also post anime club or old collections of rumblo, bee power, gun show, etc cuz we're only now about 1/3 the way through BACK

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love Robocop 2

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Screaming nooooo at the snake being hammered to death God dammit he was innocent.

wrong! no snake is innocent

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Those snakes really don't look happy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This is actually my personal favorite Whomp

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

My internet's out so no comics from me today, but I wanted to say that I appreciate this post.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Onwards, to adventure!

Masterpiece

Putting those new Icelandic mage skills to work

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ah yes, powerful protective magics based off the ancient rune of stasis and freezing known as "internet explorer logo"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

Ah yes, powerful protective magics based off the ancient rune of stasis and freezing known as "internet explorer logo"
I'd stay away.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

"If you come any closer, your OS will be automatically upgraded to Windows 11"

"Lykkyä tykö" is basically an old-timey way of saying "good luck", literally something like "good luck to be by/with you"

EDIT:
Actually since I'm a bit of a linguistics nerd, I'll say a couple more words about idiomatic phrasings. SSSS uses a lot of semi-archaic words that tend to still have a meaning in modern Finnish even if they're no longer really actively used, but often the modern understanding of their meaning is based on some idiomatic phrase or saying (at least in my case) and as such the words might have other/additional meanings that have been lost unless you go linguistics/folklore nerd even harder and read about them. So for example, "surma", "lykky" and stuff like "Kade" are words where I know or at least can guess at the meaning, but there might be other, older meanings that SSSS draws from that I would know if I read up on this stuff more. (I remembered later that "surma" in many cases translates really well to "slay".)

The entire reason I wrote this is so that I can give a hopefully-interesting example:
'Olla jumissa' = 'to be stuck', literally 'to be in a jumi'
jumala = god
jumi = a word related to a bunch of old religious practices; among others, a marriage ritual where youngsters were put in a big room overnight to lie next to their to-be partner (literally multiple pairs of couples in the same room, I guess several marriages were arranged at the same time?) without being allowed to touch them. I guess the idea was to be some kind of a "if you keep your hands off for this night, you've proven your chastity powers and can marry" ritual thing.

So, "to be in a jumi" literally meant spending a night lying on the floor next to someone, in a room full of other couples, without being allowed to do much of anything, thus being very literally stuck. Nowadays no-one remembers the word "jumi" anymore, but "olla jumissa" is still used to refer to being stuck.

TL;DR: words

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Oct 9, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thanks for the language notes, they are appreciated.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hempuli posted:

"If you come any closer, your OS will be automatically upgraded to Windows 11"

"Lykkyä tykö" is basically an old-timey way of saying "good luck", literally something like "good luck to be by/with you"

EDIT:
Actually since I'm a bit of a linguistics nerd, I'll say a couple more words about idiomatic phrasings. SSSS uses a lot of semi-archaic words that tend to still have a meaning in modern Finnish even if they're no longer really actively used, but often the modern understanding of their meaning is based on some idiomatic phrase or saying (at least in my case) and as such the words might have other/additional meanings that have been lost unless you go linguistics/folklore nerd even harder and read about them. So for example, "surma", "lykky" and stuff like "Kade" are words where I know or at least can guess at the meaning, but there might be other, older meanings that SSSS draws from that I would know if I read up on this stuff more. (I remembered later that "surma" in many cases translates really well to "slay".)

The entire reason I wrote this is so that I can give a hopefully-interesting example:
'Olla jumissa' = 'to be stuck', literally 'to be in a jumi'
jumala = god
jumi = a word related to a bunch of old religious practices; among others, a marriage ritual where youngsters were put in a big room overnight to lie next to their to-be partner (literally multiple pairs of couples in the same room, I guess several marriages were arranged at the same time?) without being allowed to touch them. I guess the idea was to be some kind of a "if you keep your hands off for this night, you've proven your chastity powers and can marry" ritual thing.

So, "to be in a jumi" literally meant spending a night lying on the floor next to someone, in a room full of other couples, without being allowed to do much of anything, thus being very literally stuck. Nowadays no-one remembers the word "jumi" anymore, but "olla jumissa" is still used to refer to being stuck.

TL;DR: words

There was a custom in western europe called "bundling" that came over to the u.s. early on.
http://www.sexualhistorytour.com/bundling-a-curious-colonial-custom/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

Frick yeah it's Frick time!

I love how it's not even parody it's just real rear end Sherlock Holmes

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Such a great visual gag.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I haven't read this myself but apparently spawn dips out of his own crossover after like 2 pages

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Oct 9, 2022

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hark!…

You have to admire the President who takes visiting dignitaries on hikes through the mountains. Or who signs up in the army and takes glamor shots of himself in uniform. Exciting! Anyway because I hadn’t made a comic in a while I didn’t write this one out beforehand, I just started making a comic about Roosevelt and at the end of the page I finished it. What a process! Recommend me to all your professional friends.

More gravy than the grave

Today, I re-drew an old comic for fun. The original Mary Shelley was drawn about a year ago when I was doing comics at my work, during which time I was in an almost a constant state of delusion and scribbled madly. I also don’t have it anymore and didn’t take a proper scan like most of those old comics! Someday I will learn to take care of my things.

Madame don’t louse this document up with all your hormones, it’s literature

I think that the idea of Stan Rogers being a wandering presence in the Maritime - or Canadian even - psyche is an odd but endearing one. Shoo!

….A Vagrant.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: In the London night, a man and woman walk through the streets alone! The lady mentions a story she heard about a killer on the loose! The man smiles and draws a weapon!

Read right to left:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

Chapter 38

Blind Alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not going to lie guys, I skip over everything even vaguely manga looking but Ranking of Kings has won me over.