Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Toast King posted:

Seems like part of the idea is to make you more deliberate with choosing where you want to focus your upgrades, rather than having 6x modules for a bunch of things which I can understand.

Honestly it feels like the other way around, 60 dedicated "can't be used for anything but tech" slots means you're probably going to be able to get maxxed out 3-upgrades on every tech that can have upgrades, possibly with room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah ive spent some time drop pod hunting on my settlement planet and now i have enough room in my suit for all kinds of things i neglected so i could have 6 x shields and 6 x jetpacks. And having the three types of inventory was one of the major things that confused new players

I had a moment of horror when i first saw the state of my inventory but now I like the change.

And the rocket to sell your stuff is cool, but seems to be glitched at the moment so you can't scroll down on your inventory when transferring stuff to it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beef Hardcheese posted:

They've combined the regular storage with cargo, so now there's only "Cargo" and "Technology". Y

oh my god, this completely solves my biggest complaint about inventory where buying things or picking things up a certain way would dump them into your General instead of the Cargo slots unless your General inventory was already full.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The maximum size for exosuit tech inventory now appears to be 99 (yes, 10x10 with 1 slot that you can't unlock)

I suspect this isn't intentional but it's also like, way way more than you could ever possibly fill even if it was just 60 slots, so

marktheando posted:

I had a moment of horror when i first saw the state of my inventory but now I like the change.

tbh I have to wonder how much of the horror would have been assuaged if they had just said "if you've got half your general inventory taken up with tech, we'll unlock that many tech slots on first load"

I had a fun bit of time doing some initial runarounds since all of my life support/hazard protection was in my general inventory

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly it feels like the other way around, 60 dedicated "can't be used for anything but tech" slots means you're probably going to be able to get maxxed out 3-upgrades on every tech that can have upgrades, possibly with room to spare.

That's true, I never got deep enough to have a ton of upgrades but 60 slots seems like a lot. It might feel more natural when you're starting from scratch and slowly expanding and don't get to that many slots for a long time, but still don't know what would fill all those or why the max is that high.

Either way I'm excited to check it all out soon, I haven't properly played in a long time so I think I'll give it a week while all the worst bugs get ironed out as usual.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's interesting that this makes everything black hole proof now

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh he'll yeah the storage increase applies to the nutrient processor too

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m feeling a lot more positive about the update now that I know I can have 60 tech slots in everything now. Last night it looked like we were getting 30 when I first opened the game, so phew, 60 is great and probably more than enough.
I’m running around now just expanding my various tech inventories to put back in what had been in general and get everything functional again.
I’m still salty about the loss of hyperdrive range on my freighter though, that beauty was just over 6100 ly before and now it’s just under 4,900 ly.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I don't know if it was this update or a recent one, but coloring the freighter works properly now.

Also: Daily missions now give 400 quicksilver.

Holy crap are storage containers big now! 10 of them is overkill.

CaptainSkinny fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 8, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I used to have a full stack of each resource in my suit cargo, and i liked it that way because nothing gets shuffled if you die.

oh he'll yeah the storage increase applies to the nutrient processor too

It also takes storage units from 20 to 50.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Other than something in my lizard brain being bothered by all the things in my suit inventory being re-arranged I think this is pretty good (and the storage units' order being unchanged is nice). I had already moved every tech I could to the tech tab (because I felt like that's where it should go) so I only need like 9 regular slots and a few ship slots and I have a lot of money.

I hit the wrong button while navigating my inventory all the time so just cutting all these pages out will hopefully reduce that and the thing I had been doing where I turned my colossus and like 4 of my 7 ships into storage units. It's still helpful to have stuff in the same place for manufacturing but anything I have an excess of can go into storage and I can free up some of this stuff.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Has anyone played around with the custom difficulty settings yet? Looking forward to trying out a Survival-ish playthrough with the resource grind and inventory management toned down a bit. I'm also intrigued by the challenging enemy strength setting, space combat always felt too easy to me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

You'd think so, but I always managed to upgrade my suit + my favorite ship of the day to a degree most people would call insane, like imagine a ship with 20 filled tech slots and 20+ more general slots filled with even more upgrades. And that's not even with all my favorite weapons installed! I had to actually pick and choose what 2-3 weapons I can fit into a ship or the combined number of upgrades would slowly fill up large parts of the main inventory. And my suit hat something like 50+ upgrades total (that is with some upgrades not even installed, since the inventory started to look a bit cramped).

So, considering that Hello Games probably adds even more poo poo in the future, 60 slots can fill up fast. And while buying slots is now cheaper, experimenting with one of my ships showed that the costs still grow exponentially. This means, sooner or later it will get pretty hard to expand your inventory without collecting dedicated expansion items.

I feel like this is a good trade-off. If you don't need 60 tech slots, you can just drop items on expanding your also greatly expanded normal inventory. But if you end up collecting every technology and every upgrade, it's kind of cool to get the possibility to finally use everything at once in a single ship, if you absolutely want to. And it not being effortless and instead really, really expensive, makes sense.

Edit:

Though just in case I'll make my next galaxy jump without restoring my suit to full power, just in case the tech slot protection has been deactivated. Being forced to repair 60 slots at once seems like the opposite of fun. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CaptainSkinny posted:

Holy crap are storage containers big now! 10 of them is overkill.

Ha ha, oh man, posts like this make me feel like a hoarder. :allears:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Woah, ship slots are *expensive*.

75 Mil a slot, and I need a bunch of Tech Slots. Updates to NMS Save Editors when?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

75 Mil a slot, and I need a bunch of Tech Slots. Updates to NMS Save Editors when?

75 mil. equaled something insane like 300 mil. in the old system, now that was expensive. :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

lol yeah, it was 'how to spend a billion units in 3 easy clicks' and you could beggar yourself in15 or so

oh and the nerf to activated indium in this update is pretty funny but very needed. My AI farm is now worthless but I'm happy I also have Stasis device farms and mines set up so I can still make plenty of money if I need to.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Libluini posted:

75 mil. equaled something insane like 300 mil. in the old system, now that was expensive. :v:

Sure, but before they were ‘just’ Cargo, I didn’t care. Now I need Tech slots!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Sure, but before they were ‘just’ Cargo, I didn’t care. Now I need Tech slots!

Uh no they weren't, you could buy tech slots too, just not as many as cargo/general slots.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Feedbacker posted:

Has anyone played around with the custom difficulty settings yet? Looking forward to trying out a Survival-ish playthrough with the resource grind and inventory management toned down a bit. I'm also intrigued by the challenging enemy strength setting, space combat always felt too easy to me.
that and also seeing that you don't need to gently caress around powering things in your base (I'm assuming thats what the 'free base power' setting is) mean I'll probably jump back on again soon.

Just wish they'd model pirates and other dangers as proper NPCs doing their own thing that you can at least try to avoid or engage with as you choose, rather than a timer that fires every 10 minutes that just dumps them on top of you out of nowhere.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 8, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still want legit dangerous derelict freighters. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still want legit dangerous derelict freighters. :colbert:

I'd like it if there were more different types of derelict freighters. Like, as soon as I learned to love the neutron cannon, filling them with all those knock-off aliens switched from slightly scary to hilarious. Some more diversity in enemy types would help with that.

Additionally:

-Different types of gameplay altogether: Let me use my scanner to scan things, have some ominously silent derelicts that have no enemies at all, or deadly traps instead.
-Some more vertical derelicts, and then let the player jump in those. It's a bit silly that all derelicts switch off your jump pack all the time.

Seriously though. Neutron cannon. A bunch of S-class upgrades. Fire fast enough and cracking an alien nest kills every single one of the little buggers with splash damage before they can spill out. And even if you gently caress this up, a couple balls to the carapace and the problem is solved. As a bonus, you can't blow yourself up with neutron balls, so go to town on the critters!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, you've sold me on the neutron cannon, holy poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shockeh posted:

The last 12 multi-tool slots are $600m each.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

people on reddit and twitter are absolutely freaking out about this update not letting them have 6 modules haha

though i am slightly annoyed at spending 3 billion on ship slots and then discovering the activated indium nerf when i went to my farms to get cash back

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marktheando posted:

people on reddit and twitter are absolutely freaking out about this update not letting them have 6 modules haha

though i am slightly annoyed at spending 3 billion on ship slots and then discovering the activated indium nerf when i went to my farms to get cash back

Yeah, I was in a few NMS Facebook groups, and I had to leave them because of the constant bitching. Like jfc, SHUT UP.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

see, this is why you only trust in crafting *suddenly a pipe bursts, is drowned in Radon*

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, did my first galaxy jump of the new era. This is my warning.

-First, tech slots don't protect you anymore. Every installed tech in both ship and suit will break.
-Second, your ship is now apparently a lot further away, so expect a lot of running to get back.
-Pack a lot of repair packs. Yours and your ship's inventory combined can easily result in you having to repair 100+ slots.

Hell, good thing I went through without getting all my poo poo back and installed. Also, lesson of the day: If this is intended and not just bugged, I will spend a lot of my future time folding techs and putting them into inventories, because :lol: at repairing 100+ things every time I go through the core.

Edit:

That said, the good old "shittiest pistol + ship"-combo still works. So I guess you only need to de-install all your suit techs and store them? That's only up to 60 things to move! Still better then having to repair everything, of course.

Good lord, I guess Hello Games didn't take galaxy travelers into account, or wanted to make galaxy jumping balls-rear end hard. :stare:

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
I don't have an actived indium set up, but I have noticed an across the board 50% drop in extractor output. Does anyone have more info on the changes they made?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well glad I didn't ever go all-in on AI mining like I always meant to.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The customized difficulty is my favourite new thing. It gives me what I always wanted, which is unlimited sprint, no fall damage and no refuel costs.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Does anyone know if starting a new game with the tutorial disabled removes the free freighter? I’m in a new save and it should have spawned by now but nothing so far

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Has anyone else had any visual "jankyness" gong on since the update? Playing on PS5 earlier and it was noticeable. Tried to play last night on PS4 and it was so bad I stopped playing after 10 minutes. Just a lot of HUD visuals popping in and out of the horizon as I'm flying near the surface on a a planet.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How do you upgrade the number of technology slots?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

How do you upgrade the number of technology slots?

It’s been a little janky but the latest patch is supposed to fix it. You can now move the slot around and upgrade the exact slot you want so just move it up to the tech section and to the place you want. Upgrading the 31st slot has been the jankiest as it doesn’t show you the new open row but it works if you put the upgrade in the right place.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Exodor posted:

Does anyone know if starting a new game with the tutorial disabled removes the free freighter? I’m in a new save and it should have spawned by now but nothing so far

The free freighter did finally spawn - I think I was just being impatient.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I guess they have space storms now
also one of my shield upgrades broke when flying through an asteroid field, so don’t do that anymore

e: Starship storage modules are now rewards for doing space station missions as are exosuit modules and drop pod maps, so that’s another easy-ish way to get them. Also Nexus missions have them as rewards as well as multi-tool expansion slots.

Helith fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 9, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I bought this last night on steam and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. It's one of the most fascinating games in a long time though. Going from the surface to space and vice versa is super impressive. Currently going through the tutorial and got myself a hyperspace drive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Helith posted:

I guess they have space storms now
also one of my shield upgrades broke when flying through an asteroid field, so don’t do that anymore

e: Starship storage modules are now rewards for doing space station missions as are exosuit modules and drop pod maps, so that’s another easy-ish way to get them. Also Nexus missions have them as rewards as well as multi-tool expansion slots.

Space storms were added last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
Have any of these updates added HOTAS support?