Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Heavy Metal posted:

I read Amazing Spider-Man #33 recently, the one where he does the thing (lifts the thingy), epic stuff. Holds up well too. That guy is pretty inspiring.

Here's a question. Has Lizard (in Lizard form) ever teamed up with Spider-Man and did a good thing?

In Steve Orlando's recent Curse of the Man-Thing miniseries, the Lizard ends up helping out at one point, fighting alongside Captain America and Spidey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's awesome, good stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So how dumb in a subjective sense is the return of Gwen? I haven't read Spider-Man recently, other than Zdarsky stuff (I just heard about it). Did they pull this off?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yes, they pulled it off

it's the celestial judging Norman, but instead of just appearing as Gwen, it brought her back just for that task (and at the end to judge Norman too) unless there's a big swerve, she's not back for real.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

So I was mistakenly under the impression that the secret of Amazing Spider-Man's timejump would be revealed in the Hellfire-Gala tie-in X-Men team up issue, but it wasn't
but the AXE crossover issue provides more details than anywhere else so far

-Someone important to Peter was "lost". I think the implication is that it's Mary Jane, but that may also be what we're being led to believe.
-Peter tried to get her back, and nobody thought it was a good idea. Given what happened with OMD, this is starting to become a real pattern with this guy!
-Norman, whos sins were freshly eaten at the end of Spencer's run, probably feels like he owes it to Peter to make up for the poo poo he's done and helps him out
-It went poorly
-The ultimate result is now everyone is kind of pissed at Spider-Man except Norman Osborn the mutants (which works out nicely for that Ben Reilly x Madelyne Pryor teamup arc) and Mary Jane is alive now but she's also with some dude and they may have biological children together, somehow

I really hope this doesn't turn out the way so many comic "mysteries" do where it gets drawn out for so long the ultimate reveal is a total wet fart. I've enjoyed the run a fair bit so far (Tombstone stuff in particular was great) and Wells went up a tier in my mind as a creator after Hellions so I want him to bring it home.

Yeah, I think this is the gist of it. We still haven't had that strange figure that showed up to Peter and MJ at the end of the previous series explained.

So that figure likely did something to MJ. Peter then tried to get her back, and messed something up. It's unclear if people refused to help him before or after this, but regardless, Norman was the only one to give him assistance. MJ is with that guy because she feels a sense of responsibility to be with him. We're not sure if the kids are or are not really hers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Yes, they pulled it off

it's the celestial judging Norman, but instead of just appearing as Gwen, it brought her back just for that task (and at the end to judge Norman too) unless there's a big swerve, she's not back for real.

To expand on this It didn't bring her back to judge Peter. It just assumed her form during the period of judgment. Once he was judged fitting it brought her back as a gift to give Peter a little bit of closure. Then she faded away. That's all it was and I liked it a lot. And we can also assume from an earlier story beat the same may have happened with May and Ben. I really liked the issue a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, that's a weird choice for group shot. Polaris and Strong Guy both end up in X-Factor

My theory is that they were not totally locked in at the time who was going to end up on what time. Like if you remember old comic cards, they had a completely different X-men team that I think never got together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

My theory is that they were not totally locked in at the time who was going to end up on what time. Like if you remember old comic cards, they had a completely different X-men team that I think never got together.

That makes sense. Peter David has talked about how he basically got the leftovers that Lee/Claremont/Portacio/Byrne didn't want.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've enjoyed the run a fair bit so far (Tombstone stuff in particular was great) and Wells went up a tier in my mind as a creator after Hellions so I want him to bring it home.

Jury's still out for me, but the newest ASM was good (despite the art) and latest episode of She-Hulk made me sit up and go "Zeb Wells wrote this episode?? lol, awesome" so I guess I'm warming up

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't realize Wells wrote that episode. He's come a long way from Robot Chicken.

When I went to look it up I also laughed at how the show is getting review bombed. Frail male egos.

Anyway, I liked this Spidey issue as well. I wonder if it's also setting up Gwen to return for real. Like her short appearance could have been to gauge the reaction of bringing her back for real. It would also kind of fit in with Wells and how he likes to have the past play a big role in the present.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Moira McTagart’s an odd lady.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am very much enjoying this current run of Thunderbolts. Oddly enough Purple Woman is the character who's been the stand out for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never expected to read a comic all about Starfox and actually enjoy it but his one-shot this week was really good imo

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Oh boy Savage Avengers is so fun every issue, loved this week's. The new Dan Slott Spider-Man series seems really promising too! Had a great time w/ #1

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1578463971170217984?s=46&t=7FuT-HCeh9Ti0ug0-4QCAg

This follows Secret Reverse and Deadpool Samurai in being neat collaborations with manga creators. More cynically I’d say it’s Marvel trying to get more of that manga money, but hey why not try to expand your audience

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is the full list of artists somewhere? For those of you unfamiliar, of the four they've mentioned two of them have done a lot of work for American comics already(Sana Takeda is the artist on Monstress and Kamome Shirahama has done a lot of covers for DC and Star Wars), Yusuke Murata is arguably the greatest action comics artist of all time,

and Shigeto Koyama is a concept, character, and mecha designer for Trigger who did all the stuff for Promare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1z8XFR3nNg

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 8, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo, I thought that Japanese artist thing was cool but how about a really exciting partnership?

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1578392202300071936?s=20&t=xJS9GQjsnJCZZHM8s3T2VA

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well I guess it's not as bad as the Northrop-Grumman partnership.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How much does it cost to get one of these comics? Could we commission Marvel to do a promo comic for us?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolutely. John Romero Jr and Roger Stern telling our humble BSS story, in the Marvel way. Sign me up.

edit: Romita is good too

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo, I thought that Japanese artist thing was cool but how about a really exciting partnership?

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1578392202300071936?s=20&t=xJS9GQjsnJCZZHM8s3T2VA

They turned off replies for some reason I can’t figure out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Murata has already done some absolutely insanely cool Spider-Man stuff.

Just Google "Murata Spider-Man" and you can see higher quality versions of these pieces.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I never expected to read a comic all about Starfox and actually enjoy it but his one-shot this week was really good imo

Gillen could write a good story about any character, I think.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Manga is the superior medium

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thetoughestbean posted:

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1578463971170217984?s=46&t=7FuT-HCeh9Ti0ug0-4QCAg

This follows Secret Reverse and Deadpool Samurai in being neat collaborations with manga creators. More cynically I’d say it’s Marvel trying to get more of that manga money, but hey why not try to expand your audience

I'm hearing some exciting rumors that this whole event is being spearheaded by occasional Marvel contributor Akira Yoshida!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nessus posted:

How much does it cost to get one of these comics? Could we commission Marvel to do a promo comic for us?

Secret Empire, but it's Jeffrey using the Cosmic Cube to turn Lowtax into a functional adult

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gripweed posted:

Do you think we can bully them into cancelling this title like we did with the Northrop-Grumman crossover?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rochallor posted:

I'm hearing some exciting rumors that this whole event is being spearheaded by occasional Marvel contributor Akira Yoshida!

the ironic thing is cebulski is actually likely the reason this is happening considering he was marvel's talent scout in japan for years and is the guy who has contacts there

though I imagine you don't need a lot of cache to call murata and go "hey do you wanna draw a spider-man comic" because that man will absolutely jump at that opportunity

JordanKai posted:

Do you think we can bully them into cancelling this title like we did with the Northrop-Grumman crossover?

I doubt enough people have sufficiently strong feelings about doordash compared to the military-industrial complex

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

the ironic thing is cebulski is actually likely the reason this is happening considering he was marvel's talent scout in japan for years and is the guy who has contacts there

though I imagine you don't need a lot of cache to call murata and go "hey do you wanna draw a spider-man comic" because that man will absolutely jump at that opportunity

Murata’s already drawn a bunch of Spider-Man covers already, right?

Anyways they should make the DoorDash comic read right to left like a manga. Problem solved

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm actually psyched that they got Sana Takeda back, her and Liu's run on X-23 was great and her run on Ms Marvel is underappreciated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

No, Marvel needs to keep up with DC's brand partnerships like the Batman/FaZe clan comic or the KFC multiverse (I am not making these up)

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any Man-Thing comics worth reading?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Noob Saibot posted:

Not the one by RL Stein for sure.

While not just a Man-Thing book the Howling Commandos of Shield was fun as I recall.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Noob Saibot posted:

Uncanny X-Men #144 is a good one, from right after the Dark Phoenix Saga in Claremont's run. Cyclops happens upon him in his wandering soul searching adventures.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wait a sec I thought werewolf by night is J.Jonah Jameson son. The guy from spider-man 2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Noob Saibot posted:

Wait a sec I thought werewolf by night is J.Jonah Jameson son. The guy from spider-man 2?

He's Man Wolf IIRC.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
John Jameson is Man-Wolf, yes. When he's not Stargod.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

John Jameson is Man-Wolf, yes. When he's not Stargod.

I thought they’re the same thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thetoughestbean posted:

I thought they’re the same thing

Man-Wolf is from exposure to a space rock, Werewolf By Night is a bog standard traditional Werewolf

Funny thing is Earth X had a gag/plot point regarding people making that exact mix up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Man-Wolf is from exposure to a space rock, Werewolf By Night is a bog standard traditional Werewolf

Funny thing is Earth X had a gag/plot point regarding people making that exact mix up

No I meant Man-Wolf and Stargod. Like, are they meaningfully different forms or are they just aliases?