Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

If you're trying to hook up with somebody at a bar, don't tell them the thermal capacity of your sweet custom water loop. For some reason it never works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Charles Leclerc posted:

If you're trying to hook up with somebody at a bar, don't tell them the thermal capacity of your sweet custom water loop. For some reason it never works.

The bars you are going to must be boring my dude.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey baby I’m not saying I’m hot but my nickname is Zen 4.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Charles Leclerc posted:

I mean this is a great way to pick up engineering students.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The bars you are going to must be boring my dude.

Probably doesn't help that I can't shut up about the near zero backforce ratchet on my sweet LTTstore.com screwdriver either.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Charles Leclerc posted:

I know it's supreme dork poo poo to build your own PC and a meme that you get roped into a lifetime of support, but I am so far beyond the point of no return when it comes to building a PC with a friend over a couple of beers purely to save them from the hellscape of lovely system integrators.

If you do it right in the first place you literally never get somebody pestering you for support.

The whole get roped into lifetime support thing is always so weird to me. I'm gonna help my friends out with free tech support whether it's a DIY PC I helped them build or a fuckin' Dell, because they're my friends. That's what friends do. If you have friends and aren't willing to help them out with an afternoon of your time, and vice versa, those aren't friends. They're acquaintances.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

The whole get roped into lifetime support thing is always so weird to me. I'm gonna help my friends out with free tech support whether it's a DIY PC I helped them build or a fuckin' Dell, because they're my friends. That's what friends do. If you have friends and aren't willing to help them out with an afternoon of your time, and vice versa, those aren't friends. They're acquaintances.
The issue isn't that they shouldn't get help, the issue is that some people (especially family, but also some friends) think they have a professional 24/7 on-call line
One that's expected to not only know the solution to every problem but drop everything in order to help them as if they filed a ticket in a ticketing system where "Critical" means something because it hasn't been abused and applied liberally to everything.

If you're lucky enough to have friends who don't treat you like that, that's great - but I find it hard to believe you don't have family like that.

EDIT: Another variant of it is the people who'll expect all of the above, but treat you as if they're doing you a favour because "you know all this, it's so easy for you".

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The issue isn't that they shouldn't get help, the issue is that some people (especially family, but also some friends) think they have a professional 24/7 on-call line
One that's expected to not only know the solution to every problem but drop everything in order to help them as if they filed a ticket in a ticketing system where "Critical" means something because it hasn't been abused and applied liberally to everything.

If you're lucky enough to have friends who don't treat you like that, that's great - but I find it hard to believe you don't have family like that.

EDIT: Another variant of it is the people who'll expect all of the above, but treat you as if they're doing you a favour because "you know all this, it's so easy for you".

Spot on.

My elderly relatives are great to do nice things for, the younger ones are a pain in the rear end to do anything nice for.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Reminds me of a coworker, that had me drive to his place to find an important file he misplaced. I suggested to participate in some computer basics course, or DIY it using the internet/Youtube. "No time for that sort of stuff" was the reply. A month later he was bragging about downloading movies via Torrent. Time for that was apparently there. At least he learned file system basics with that. But still.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My parents got a macbook with applecare after years of me being the support for windows pcs and then they didn’t need my help anymore and I kind of missed it :sigh:

They really liked the applecare and they could call it anytime instead of waiting to call me after work. Plus I wasn’t very familiar with mac stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's this cool word that helps in these situations: "no". Possibly with some extra words after it to soothe the feelings of the person you are saying it to.

I do have friends who are apt to ask for too much -- not in computer poo poo but other areas of life. If you don't set some boundaries, they don't know that they're overstepping them. You have to communicate that they're asking too much before you can expect them to ask less. And if they are lovely about it :sever:

OTOH I also have friends who I will always give the "critical" tag in the ticketing system of my life, because I know they'd do -- or have done -- the same for me.

I know you'd had major health problems, so you may have a lot of past favors you feel the need to repay. A real friend should understand "yes, but I'm busy now so not until this weekend" even if they've done a lot for you. Cancer and a broken PC aren't the same. If they don't get that, gently caress 'em.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Exactly.

Be a bit of a dick about it when they ask for too much, and they’ll back off and only ask for really important poo poo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I think we all know interpersonal relationships aren't prescriptive, but sometimes it's just easier to not do things for people you just know are going to be a pain in the rear end and do them for the people you know will generally be good. I tend to think that after a single bad experience we mostly have that poo poo figured out for future reference.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

There's this cool word that helps in these situations: "no". Possibly with some extra words after it to soothe the feelings of the person you are saying it to.

I do have friends who are apt to ask for too much -- not in computer poo poo but other areas of life. If you don't set some boundaries, they don't know that they're overstepping them. You have to communicate that they're asking too much before you can expect them to ask less. And if they are lovely about it :sever:

OTOH I also have friends who I will always give the "critical" tag in the ticketing system of my life, because I know they'd do -- or have done -- the same for me.

I know you'd had major health problems, so you may have a lot of past favors you feel the need to repay. A real friend should understand "yes, but I'm busy now so not until this weekend" even if they've done a lot for you. Cancer and a broken PC aren't the same. If they don't get that, gently caress 'em.
The standard phrase I evolved for it was "I know you can figure out how to do it, and because that's exactly what I'll be doing when I sit down - figure out things on the fly".
That seems to have taught most of the people I've helped over the years that they don't have to rely on me, but can do things themselves.

I've got people who I still help with things, sure - but I've had almost no real help after the diagnosis (my mom, who's about the only person I still do a bit of PC support for), so all the help I've been given to people over the years feels like it's been taken for granted and not even noticed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
from my very limited experience, building computers by and for people who has zero or little willingness to learn troubleshooting is just asking for trouble

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'll always love these dumb Alex-made cooling rig videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozKrDoS1Dc

40000 for a 7950x in Cinebench :stonk:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I'll always love these dumb Alex-made cooling rig videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozKrDoS1Dc

40000 for a 7950x in Cinebench :stonk:

Back-to-back bangers from Alex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blU_2wIMT4U

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IDK why people keep pretending those Noctua fans are still "the best fan" when Phanteks has had a superior fan for like a year now, and plenty of other fans are also competitive to superior depending on what exactly your goals are. Odd to me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the brown makes it quieter

but yeah the T30 is just better if you have the extra 5mm of clearance, and they need to hurry up and release the 140mm version so i can fill my case with them

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
embrace the poop brown

I wish people put more interest in 180mm fans, the fractal torrent is a fantastic case but finding fans for it is a bit tricky

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

IDK why people keep pretending those Noctua fans are still "the best fan" when Phanteks has had a superior fan for like a year now, and plenty of other fans are also competitive to superior depending on what exactly your goals are. Odd to me.

Arctic makes some solid fans too, and they're like half the price of Noctua's.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Arctic makes some solid fans too, and they're like half the price of Noctua's.

Arctic's fans are solid yeah, but not on the same level as the noctua or phanteks fans being discussed.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

K8.0 posted:

The brown makes your PC look more like a hi-fi cabinet from the 1970's, which is cool and rad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
those last two LTT videos were pretty fun

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Those fans are horrifyingly dangerous. :stare: I'm glad they put a shroud over the fans after initial testing because that thing looks like it will shred your fingers and tear your hand off without a flinch.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

"We're cooling a PC in an incredibly stupid and ill-advised way" remains the best LTT content.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just watching the WAN show in background, the piece about Youtube's 4K premium poo poo, and they mention that Youtube was running an experiment by resetting people's playback settings to some lower resolution, checking to see how long it took to react, if at all.

I had this poo poo happen to me frequently over a certain timespan, and it was pissing me off royally. I should have known it was one of their loving experiments. Let me opt out of this poo poo.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just watching the WAN show in background, the piece about Youtube's 4K premium poo poo, and they mention that Youtube was running an experiment by resetting people's playback settings to some lower resolution, checking to see how long it took to react, if at all.

I had this poo poo happen to me frequently over a certain timespan, and it was pissing me off royally. I should have known it was one of their loving experiments. Let me opt out of this poo poo.

The same thing happened to me too! Another time I was also in a different "experiment" as well which broke the Transcript feature on Firefox (it worked in a private browsing tab and when logged out and I verified I was being delivered different JS bundles between logged in and not). In that case, after I used the "Send Feedback" option to report the bug they reverted me to the default player.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lol corporations gaslighting their users

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder if that breaks the browser plugin that is supposed to auto switch to max resolution, I have noticed that doesn’t work great lately.

Man I wish there was a better option than youtube. I’m thinking about just setting up something to auto download my subscribed channels so I can play them locally. I don’t usually go outside my feed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

always switching to the max resolution is probably counterproductive, in my experience browsers (well chromium, not sure about firefox) do a poor job of downscaling video and tend to produce a lot of aliasing

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Youtube also messed up or changed something with monetization a bit ago which led to a youtuber crossover I wasn't expecting to see on twitter.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Autoplay frequently turns itself back on for me, I assumed it was just the site being dumb. Now I'm wondering if that was also part of an experiment to boost play counts or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh poo poo is THAT what that was? It was driving me crazy how videos kept playing at low res until I manually turned them back up. I thought I was having weird connection issues and I did a lot of troubleshooting on my router.

loving A/B testing is just corporate gaslighting.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
lol if youtube expects me to manually check the quality setting on their garbage tv app every time they pull that stunt

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Youtube doing lovely A/B testing to max ads is definitely a possibility, but also youtube can have real weird stuff happen from cookies & localstorage bugs.

At one point a number of years ago I was having weird issues with settings getting reset and UI being broken. After investigating ublock, other extensions, and a bunch of other things, the problem turned out to be resolved by resetting youtube cookies & storage. Youtube caches a *lot* of data locally.

So if you are having problems with autoplay or resolution reset I'd try that. Especially if it keeps happening. If they were A/Bing you they'd only do it once (what they want to see is how many people switch back vs how many don't notice).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh poo poo is THAT what that was? It was driving me crazy how videos kept playing at low res until I manually turned them back up. I thought I was having weird connection issues and I did a lot of troubleshooting on my router.

they also made it harder to switch resolutions on their lovely android official app

google loves their non evil passive-aggressive stealth capitalist poo poo

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SmartTube for Android tv is rad. Ad blocking and sponsorblock built in is so good

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I was assuming they’d computed some sort of “movement figure” for the video and dumped resolution on stuff that’s just mostly static backgrounds, guy in front of a pc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1580432357449793536?t=xvW-ZbG5hmVjhRhHw5BFvQ&s=19