Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

As much as I think Maestre Clean night be overdoing it there is definitely a difference between his dough and l'Petit Czar's. If you worked there please talk about the four-way fuckable Parcheesi board calzone that they tried to get everybody to eat
As I said the main difference I see is his ingredient quality and his sperging over humidity and stuff like that. Otherwise your core is precise measurements water temperature and how long your dough is allowed to proof before shaping/pressing/baking.

The end result in the dough itself is virtually the same in terms of crisp/fluff etc visually (same temp ovens but a conveyor belt oven vs the firebrick setup he uses). Granted I'd have to be able to actually have it in my hand and taste to say 100%, but I don't see much difference as someone who makes a lot of pizza. Certainly not enough to make it worth all whatever you want to call that video. However just the handmade and freshness aspect is doing the heavy lifting here vs like domino's/Papa fascist/pizza chud dough. There's a huge difference there. Prepackaged/frozen dough sucks.

Are you talking about the Batman calzone? Yeah that thing was ridiculous and nasty both to prep and eat. I won't go to bat for the emperor on that or most of their other LTO things over the years. I still think the best one they ever did and will probably never bring back is the smokehouse pizza from years ago.

Don't get me wrong dude has passion and talent in the art of maestre d'pizza that I respect, but to me I don't see anything here that stands out or makes anything he's doing here unique or worthy of a world's best pizza chef title, which IMHO is a low bar to begin with.

Gimme the same ingredients and I could easily do that and at a higher volume without that creepy looking co chef. Problem is the average fat Americans would look at that pizza and laugh at it especially in a fat food setting so you aren't gonna get that anywhere unless it's a specialty/local place that does like 1/2-3/4 of daily sales on an average day by numbers.

I'm still laughing at the thought that if my employees saw "buffalo mozzarella" on an order they'd think they needed to squirt Frank's red hot sauce all over your pie which might be good depending on what you topped it with. Yes I know what real buffalo mozzarella is and that it's both very expensive per oz and no major pizza chain would use it but the thought of my employees squirting red cum all over the pizzas made me laugh..

Pizza is a land of contrasts as this thread shows us every day.

Randabis fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1576346174529110016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

How is buying sliced bread cheaper than making dough?

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

How is buying sliced bread cheaper than making dough?

Volume, time and labor is your answer. If you are only making like 1-3 crap pies to exploit for Twitter likes and shares or just making it for poverty dinner 101 for 1-2 nights I could see it working for a little bit.

Otherwise making good dough which is probably the most important part of a decent pie does take a lot of time effort and equipment that most poverty homes aren't going to have easy access to.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Randabis posted:

Volume, time and labor is your answer. If you are only making like 1-3 crap pies to exploit for Twitter likes and shares or just making it for poverty dinner 101 for 1-2 nights I could see it working for a little bit.

Otherwise making good dough which is probably the most important part of a decent pie does take a lot of time effort and equipment that most poverty homes aren't going to have easy access to.

Ok, I understand time and effort, but equipment is what, hands and a surface?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Randabis posted:

As I said the main difference I see is his ingredient quality and his sperging over humidity and stuff like that. Otherwise your core is precise measurements water temperature and how long your dough is allowed to proof before shaping/pressing/baking.

The end result in the dough itself is virtually the same in terms of crisp/fluff etc visually (same temp ovens but a conveyor belt oven vs the firebrick setup he uses). Granted I'd have to be able to actually have it in my hand and taste to say 100%, but I don't see much difference as someone who makes a lot of pizza. Certainly not enough to make it worth all whatever you want to call that video. However just the handmade and freshness aspect is doing the heavy lifting here vs like domino's/Papa fascist/pizza chud dough. There's a huge difference there. Prepackaged/frozen dough sucks.

Are you talking about the Batman calzone? Yeah that thing was ridiculous and nasty both to prep and eat. I won't go to bat for the emperor on that or most of their other LTO things over the years. I still think the best one they ever did and will probably never bring back is the smokehouse pizza from years ago.

Don't get me wrong dude has passion and talent in the art of maestre d'pizza that I respect, but to me I don't see anything here that stands out or makes anything he's doing here unique or worthy of a world's best pizza chef title, which IMHO is a low bar to begin with.

Gimme the same ingredients and I could easily do that and at a higher volume without that creepy looking co chef. Problem is the average fat Americans would look at that pizza and laugh at it especially in a fat food setting so you aren't gonna get that anywhere unless it's a specialty/local place that does like 1/2-3/4 of daily sales on an average day by numbers.

I'm still laughing at the thought that if my employees saw "buffalo mozzarella" on an order they'd think they needed to squirt Frank's red hot sauce all over your pie which might be good depending on what you topped it with. Yes I know what real buffalo mozzarella is and that it's both very expensive per oz and no major pizza chain would use it but the thought of my employees squirting red cum all over the pizzas made me laugh..

Pizza is a land of contrasts as this thread shows us every day.

Man you really like Little Caesars a lot huh

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Volume is the key. You aren't mass producing many pizzas without equipment like even a small mixer. You definitely can make enough dough for like 1-5 pies without anything fancy at home but you'll tire yourself out pretty quick if you are doing more than that on a daily basis which a maestre d'pizza is certainly doing at a restaurant and you'll need much more time which you could be poo poo posting on your phone with or whatever.

Soul Dentist posted:

Man you really like Little Caesars a lot huh

Nah it's nothing special really but I would say more effort is put into the end product overall than the other big 3 chains. I've worked at all of them in some capacity over the past 20 years or so. The other ones have more toppings options and sides mainly. The core dough and sauce components on the basic 1-3 toppings pizzas are inferior though IMHO. Cheese quality is probably about the same as well as most of your basic toppings. The big thing like I said is you have more toppings and sauces to choose from with the other big ones. They also cost more money and generally will take longer to have your food ready because their equipment and business model is different.

If I were to spend money on chain pizza I'd go to MOD Pizza instead but I'd have to spend a lot more money too. Maybe Marco's as a second option.

Non chain/local there's like 3 in my area but they have other Italian stuff I'd probably get to scratch the sauce cheese starch meat itch.

Randabis fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 2, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't get Little Caesar's very often, but they're the only chain that has repeatedly gotten the style of pizza I ordered wrong. It's just been our local one, but it seems like a crapshoot if you order something off the menu rather than just sticking with whatever they have going on for Hot & Ready.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't get Little Caesar's very often, but they're the only chain that has repeatedly gotten the style of pizza I ordered wrong. It's just been our local one, but it seems like a crapshoot if you order something off the menu rather than just sticking with whatever they have going on for Hot & Ready.

This is in general very true for most locations as I have seen/experienced/trained in my area. Employees get mad if it is different than what they are used to making and take it out on the customer at the make line table or even boxing it up in the oven. Especially stuff like stuffed crust pizzas etc. It's really no.excuse but I get it. I've spent so many hours trying to help this issue but fact is corporate doesn't pay the employees enough money for what they do just like any other chain.

It's no excuse but remember the business model is in and out the door/drive-thru 5 minutes or less. The other places you have at least a 10-20 minute wait on pickup, possibly longer on delivery. If you want something special either call ahead or order online. A good store will give you what you want as best they can.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/FootyScran/status/1576571398117818369

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Such an unsatisfying pizza for that price?! Demand they throw in a rim job.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Have you made pizza dough, or any yeast bread, entirely by hand? It's hard, it's time-consuming--the dough needs a couple of hours to rise--and you need to practice to get it right, so that's multiple attempts at making dough, and most people don't want to gently caress around and experiment when they have to feed their family

I don't recommend making yeast bread entirely by hand, unless it's an experiment in learning to appreciate stand mixers

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My dad makes pizza dough with a food processor, it's dope, and it takes like five minutes of work

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao I forgot about the Batman calzone

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
This is proper tomato pie

And it’s delicious

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

My dad makes pizza dough with a food processor, it's dope, and it takes like five minutes of work

That's essentially the same process as what I described on a smaller scale and was my point.

Technically yeah you can do that same scale of pizzas with no machinery at all just hands ingredients and a good whisk (or fat poopy goon hands swirling it forever without one) but you are not doing that for more than 1-5 pizzas at most without multiple batches and you'll probably hurt yourself and get something much less consistent than if you just used a food processor or in a commercial setting a large mixer that does the hardest work for you (the mixing of the ingredients while the yeast activates etc). Especially if you plan on doing it regularly more than once a week.

Then you have to cut/weight/shape your dough balls for size/amount of pizzas you are making per batch, and then you have to let those dough balls sit.and.proof a minimum of two hours (preferably more, I recommend 18 but you can get away with 4-8 in a pinch if you want it to still bake well and be easy to work with when shaping/tossing your pie). And once the dough is finally ready you gotta be able to work with the dough and shape it into form to be topped with your sauce cheese/toppings. A lot can go wrong in this process especially if you don't mix the ingredients correctly and at the right ratios.

You typically get two scenarios when those ratios are off... either the dough doesn't rise much/at all because you did something to kill the yeasts(or there's too much/not enough/you forgot the yeast entirely 😂/not enough flour and sugar so they starve and.don't fart) or it rises too quickly because you made them too excited and they are farting themselves to death inside your mound of flour sugar and oil (we add salt to slow down their all you can eat buffet, I guess they don't like the taste). Temperature plays a large factor too. Hot water makes most yeasts more active than cold water and activates their fart fields quicker/dough gets big.

Proofing is very important and should probably ideally be a combo of at least 30-45 minutes at room temperature to let the yeast have dinner then refrigerated for the rest of the time. I'd only freeze it if you plan to store it for a while but you'll be able to tell it was frozen after thawing. Yeast don't like being too cold.

Once you get used to how dough works and have practiced a bit with or without machinery it's not too hard to do but it still requires a fair bit of labor even with machine help.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Soul Dentist posted:

Cool, now add in the time for it proof and then bake, plus you still have to know when it's done so that's a few practice batches, and that's why people don't want to make yeast bread from scratch when they've got actually important things to do

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

just hire someone to make pizza for you what are you poor?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Randabis posted:

That's essentially the same process as what I described on a smaller scale and was my point.

Technically yeah you can do that same scale of pizzas with no machinery at all just hands ingredients and a good whisk (or fat poopy goon hands swirling it forever without one) but you are not doing that for more than 1-5 pizzas at most without multiple batches and you'll probably hurt yourself and get something much less consistent than if you just used a food processor or in a commercial setting a large mixer that does the hardest work for you (the mixing of the ingredients while the yeast activates etc). Especially if you plan on doing it regularly more than once a week.

Then you have to cut/weight/shape your dough balls for size/amount of pizzas you are making per batch, and then you have to let those dough balls sit.and.proof a minimum of two hours (preferably more, I recommend 18 but you can get away with 4-8 in a pinch if you want it to still bake well and be easy to work with when shaping/tossing your pie). And once the dough is finally ready you gotta be able to work with the dough and shape it into form to be topped with your sauce cheese/toppings. A lot can go wrong in this process especially if you don't mix the ingredients correctly and at the right ratios.

You typically get two scenarios when those ratios are off... either the dough doesn't rise much/at all because you did something to kill the yeasts(or there's too much/not enough/you forgot the yeast entirely 😂/not enough flour and sugar so they starve and.don't fart) or it rises too quickly because you made them too excited and they are farting themselves to death inside your mound of flour sugar and oil (we add salt to slow down their all you can eat buffet, I guess they don't like the taste). Temperature plays a large factor too. Hot water makes most yeasts more active than cold water and activates their fart fields quicker/dough gets big.

Proofing is very important and should probably ideally be a combo of at least 30-45 minutes at room temperature to let the yeast have dinner then refrigerated for the rest of the time. I'd only freeze it if you plan to store it for a while but you'll be able to tell it was frozen after thawing. Yeast don't like being too cold.

Once you get used to how dough works and have practiced a bit with or without machinery it's not too hard to do but it still requires a fair bit of labor even with machine help.

nobody cares!!!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this discussion feels like this pizza, all crust (words), zero toppings (funny pictures)
https://twitter.com/BekShackelford/status/1575630003982675968

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CursedPizzas is here to help us out

https://twitter.com/CursedPizzas/status/1576478781274869761

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

The real missing ingredient is bootstraps :shuckyes:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tbf 6.70 lb$ is worth less than its ever been, the box is just too big

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ekuNNN posted:

this discussion feels like this pizza, all crust (words), zero toppings (funny pictures)

None pizza

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

beef left

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

Someone knocked all of the toppings outta the park

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Little Caesars is straight up trash lmfao @ the little pizza stan

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Ichabod Tane posted:

Little Caesars is straight up trash lmfao @ the little pizza stan

Mostly true I'm not a stan. They gently caress their customers and employees over every day as is the nature of living in the USA/capitalism. Doesn't change the fact that fresh dough is better than prepackaged or frozen though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I was curious where a pizza place would be located that might try to pass off even the promo picture as a "Chicago" "deep dish" pizza. Answer: Malaysia.

They also considered this shot of their product good enough to retweet, lol

https://twitter.com/nessreen/status/1310275497289416705

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

I was curious where a pizza place would be located that might try to pass off even the promo picture as a "Chicago" "deep dish" pizza. Answer: Malaysia.

They also considered this shot of their product good enough to retweet, lol

https://twitter.com/nessreen/status/1310275497289416705

I didn't put in the effort to find it, that's great. I'm not gonna lie, I'm hungry enough right now that I'd chomp straight into that pizza burg thing.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

wtf they arent even throwing garbage into the pizza oven fire. where does the flavor come from

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/JohnGeeMcCarthy/status/1578696366821240832

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was gonna say, if I saw a Pizza Machine I'd absolutely order from it despite having a good idea what the outcome would be, but this was the one thing I didn't see coming

https://twitter.com/JohnGeeMcCarthy/status/1578702932555358209

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh they're Scottish of course, sorry it's not deep fried with a barm an chips :scotland:

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
It's a loving lunchable.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I sincerely expect the solution to the uncooked pizza situation is they drink some more until it makes no difference.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

LordoftheScheisse posted:

It's a loving lunchable.

One pepperoni per slice and everything lol. Toasted under the broiler

The other guy had got me wanting to try little Cesar's again with a fresh order. He must work for corporate

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
wheres the freakin haggis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/aOs5l47.mp4