Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
I think baptiste is fine with any healer as long as that other healer can cover healing the characters baptiste sucks at healing (genji/tracer/echo/pharah)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

So are the queue times sane yet?

Yes. Things are working much better.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just had the dumbest possible game during my support placements. King's Row, we took first point almost instantaneously, then everyone went bloodthirsty and went all the way to the Point C spawn and killed the enemy team two more times. Midway through the first team kill, I realized that nobody had ever gotten on the payload so I went back and sloooooowly inched it forward as Mercy until my team lost the 4v5 without me right before I got through Point B. Then we lost another fight, then the other four started disconnecting like crazy while time drained down, then everyone got back in right as I triggered overtime in valkyrie and we won several fights to get through Point B and about two-thirds of the way through Point C. Then on defense we pretty much dominated all three points until the others all got bloodthirsty again and basically suicided themselves into the enemy spawn, which repeated itself on all three points and we lost in overtime. Very silly.

In other news, I'm trying to expand my hero pool again. By the time I stopped playing Overwatch 1, I was only comfortable playing:

Dva
Orisa
Reinhardt
Soldier 76
Pharah
Reaper
Ana
Baptiste
Lucio
Zenyatta

There are some heroes I know I can't do, but I want to learn:

Sigma
Zarya
Bastion
Echo
Junkrat
Mei
Sojourn
Torb
Tracer
Mercy
Moira

So far, I've put some time into Junkrat, Sojourn, and Mercy and I'm enjoying all three.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My only loss for support placements was a genji suiciding off the map for 2 straight rounds. Some things never change.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Spearing people off ledges as osira is so goddamn funny

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
game is punishing for my 4 ranked placement wins in a row and tossing me in with assholes now. teams where no one picks healer but me, then they're shocked when i can't keep everyone alive. i don't know if it's because it's saturday night or what.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

DoctorJones posted:

game is punishing for my 4 ranked placement wins in a row and tossing me in with assholes now. teams where no one picks healer but me, then they're shocked when i can't keep everyone alive. i don't know if it's because it's saturday night or what.

what kind of madness do you have to even queue for no-role ranked? that sounds like the breeding fields for the most toxic and awful players.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
my first open queue matches were fantastic. then suddenly, not so much. i just assumed everyone would not be complete morons and run double tank/healer, but that hasn't been the case.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Anyone have any tips or advice for someone who loves how Ashe plays but is just not very good with her? I have a grand time playing her, she's one of my favorite few characters in the game. But my damage numbers always seem so low compared to other people playing her. I don't know if I should just be shooting more and hoping for the best, or shooting LESS and trying to be the sniper I will never actually be, or what.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Get good at hitting your dynamite mid-air so you can tag multiple people with it.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I really like the way supports play now. I can be an actual damage threat with most of them and help my team.

I'm real high on the base gameplay changes made in ow2. Less shields has been great, less reliance on abilities has also been great. Ow2 feels like a shooter first, and an rpg second.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Removing stuns has been a wholly experience-improving decision.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Jesus Christ this, I cannot say how glad I am to be rid of Cassidy's stupid-rear end flashbang.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

DoctorJones posted:

my first open queue matches were fantastic. then suddenly, not so much. i just assumed everyone would not be complete morons and run double tank/healer, but that hasn't been the case.

Open queue is fun in quickplay. Not sure why it exists in ranked though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Eason the Fifth posted:

:agreed:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

surf rock posted:

There are some heroes I know I can't do, but I want to learn:

Moira

Moira is like the least complicated character in the game. Here's how you play her.

Is someone hurt? Left click on them. Is nobody hurt? Right click until someone's hurt.
Is orb off cooldown? Press E then GOTO 10
Is Ult up? Use it and catch as many players inside the beam as you can.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
DPS is easy. You just shoot grenades with reckless abandon into the red team and people just die. I don't know what everyone else's problem is

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Can I please get to loving see everyone's rankings again?
Or is it that important that I don't see how they relaxed the matchmaking requirements because they couldn't figure a proper way to fix the queue times for DPS players?

I'm often getting some guy in one team who just completely dominates the other team in bronze. I think the game needs more brackets below bronze for players like me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ihmemies posted:

I'm often getting some guy in one team who just completely dominates the other team in bronze. I think the game needs more brackets below bronze for players like me.

It's probably just people misranked or playing their promos. The game seems to be intentionally sticking people lower than they are to begin with, so once everyone has time to get a few games in and spread out it should get better.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There is a bug where a lot of people are getting ranked into Bronze 5, apparently. Technically it should be impossible to rank that low, even on a new account. You would have to actually tank and throw many many games on OW1 to even make it to bronze.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone had issues reconnecting to comp matches after being dropped?

I was just in a Colosseo Push match and we had already spent like 8 minutes going back-and-forth on the robot. I was doing pretty well and we were seconds away from overtime when the enemy team was making a push back, looks like it's gonna be close.

Whoops, game crashed. Okay, no problem! I'll just reboot the game and reconnect to the match.

Nope, automatically suspended. Game says I'm reconnecting to the match and then just... drops with no message or warning. No way to click reconnect or anything. That's some bullshit right there. :argh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

Is Ult up? Use it and catch as many players inside the beam as you can.

Caveat: Is there a hog on the other team? Wait for hook before pressing Q. Same with Orisa/javelin

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Caveat: Is there a hog on the other team? Wait for hook before pressing Q. Same with Orisa/javelin

It's easier to just have a teammate in front of you.
You want your team to be in your beam anyways.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm finding the new instagib Overwatch kinda fun now that I've fixed my aim and all the settings that were messing with it. Brawling on the smaller control point maps or a tug of war maps is pretty fun. Some of the maps still don't work very well (looking at Hollywood and other maps that start with a fairly tough attack-defense) but at least it's something

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 9, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

It's easier to just have a teammate in front of you.
You want your team to be in your beam anyways.

Given the janky long range hooks I've seen I'd rather not take that chance.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Hashy posted:

It sounds like you're talking about the same thing?

From seeing this guy's posts in this thread, I think he just likes to quote everyone and argue against them by reflex, even if they are actually agreeing

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

BabyRyoga posted:

Also re: miserable games

A lot of people who play tank don't realize they are essentially twice as powerful as any other character on the map, and refuse to take space. Taking space has always been one of the concepts that is hardest for bad OW players to understand, and buffed tanks should make it in general easier. However, tanks that don't know their strengths and won't contest objectives or push at the right times will make your games miserable. Play a support, and give them the confidence they need to push the W key more than the S key.

Even with raidboss levels of power in OW2, I still get tanks at full hp that just look at me in terror and then try to hide behind me after they take one point of damage, after I nano boost them as Ana... it makes me want to die inside

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bronze-5 is just a special place. I believe everyone from plat down to bronze skill level starts there and games are just funky because of that skill disrepancy.

POTG time. Junkrat decides ignore me mowing down their team. Only on Bronze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGWyAm9zDxc

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

They removed so many fun maps! drat... Hanamura! Hanamura!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 9, 2022

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Turning this into a F2P game (free-to-start, whatever) has had some funny effects, like last night when I somehow managed to fully back-cap a point by myself as Tracer while the entire enemy team was busy picking random fights around the spawn. I don't think I've seen that happen since 2016

Got my first OW2 POTG via D.Va dunk, as you do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv4qV3qNRWI

I'd like to think the Goldenboy tag in the kill feed is the Goldenboy but that's probably a stretch

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

We've got plenty of people playing here every night since launch. We had two full groups last night.

https://discord.gg/Y2NGVs8RJv

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

municipal shrimp posted:

We've got plenty of people playing here every night since launch. We had two full groups last night.

https://discord.gg/Y2NGVs8RJv

I assume it's mostly US players?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
This push the robot objective has to be one of the dumbest objectives a video game has ever had…

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
robot objective mode sucks

ow actually made a really good design decision I never really thought about which is to keep changing the scenery of the map which robot mode actively shits over

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

My game insta-crashes if I go into Carreer Overview -> History

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Can someone please explain the Eliminations, Assists, and Final Blows to me? At first I thought that Eliminations were final hits and Assists were kills that you participated in but didn't land the last hit on. But Eliminations and Final Blows can be different numbers so I guess that's not it?

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 9, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mind over Matter posted:

Can someone please explain the Eliminations, Assists, and Final Blows to me? At first I thought that Eliminations were final hits and Assists were kills that you participated in but didn't land the last hit on. But Eliminations and Final Blows can be different numbers so I guess that's not it?

AFAIK Eliminations are kills you did the majority of damage on, Assists you did some but not most, and Final Blows you did the last little bit of damage to tip it over into a kill.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
there's defensive/offensive assists which might include healing/boosting/buffing allies when they get a kill who knows it doesn't really matter :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hate how you can't have a tank that counter snipers and a tank that protects their team anymore.

Now you need to either have no protection, or need to rely on your DPS to out-sniper the sniper which isn't actually a choice because DPS players on your own team can never aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

AFAIK Eliminations are kills you did the majority of damage on, Assists you did some but not most, and Final Blows you did the last little bit of damage to tip it over into a kill.

Good enough for me! Thanks.