Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite thing in ranked is when the random team comp has no range and the enemy Hydra goes 25/2. i actually love this and it doesn't make me mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So what I've been doing with equipment is going to https://sendou.ink/, clicking on the weapon I wanna check out, and making note of what kinds of Main abilities pop up over and over. Then I just dress with stuff that fits and also looks good, feed anything without three sub slots sea snails, and then just let it ride and scrub occasionally. I'm not planning to do any optimization unless I hit S rank, which won't be anytime soon. Its mostly that I am very stupid and don't know off the top of my head what abilities work with what weapons, and I want to do more than just wear a hodgepodge of poo poo. This is probably more tryhard than the average person but whatever.

Here is me wearing a good set for a .52 Gal and also looking good. Getting your photos off the splatnet app compresses the poo poo out of them for no reason.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite thing in ranked is when the random team comp has no range and the enemy Hydra goes 25/2. i actually love this and it doesn't make me mad

As a splatling main mostly, :yeshaha:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I love the Jet Squelcher. Having longer range than most weapons owns, and you can do some fun shenanigans with the ink vac.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I kind of love the weird musician lore in this game. The band who wrote the first game's theme song is back now, apparently, except missing one member, who splintered off and formed his own group in Splatoon 2. Looking at the wiki, it appears that each band has dedicated real-world musicians who act as analogues for their fishy alter egos. It would really flesh out the world if any of this was in the game, but it's all extra-diegetic lore except for Harmony.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just had four Flyfish spawn at the start on the first round of salmon run, wtf man

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you run out of new clothes for sale remarkably fast, seems like

i finally got that white puffer jacket today (forget its exact brand name), which seems to be the only really noteworthy piece of clothing left besides the amiibo stuff

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta have a lot of cash to upgrade em all though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there really much of a benefit to increasing star power once you've maxed the slots? i've just been using snails for the few pieces that interest me

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

is there really much of a benefit to increasing star power once you've maxed the slots? i've just been using snails for the few pieces that interest me

Barely any, only do it if you have nothing else to do

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Weird quirk discovered: charging a Squid Surge pauses your ink regen, apparently. No idea why they thought it needed a nerf.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Updog Scully posted:

Weird quirk discovered: charging a Squid Surge pauses your ink regen, apparently. No idea why they thought it needed a nerf.

Beyond that you normally get jumping out of ink?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/chimsanagent2/status/1578513801288110080?s=20&t=eV9Sa4UmYnDAkq8RfPC-fg

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Updog Scully posted:

I kind of love the weird musician lore in this game. The band who wrote the first game's theme song is back now, apparently, except missing one member, who splintered off and formed his own group in Splatoon 2. Looking at the wiki, it appears that each band has dedicated real-world musicians who act as analogues for their fishy alter egos. It would really flesh out the world if any of this was in the game, but it's all extra-diegetic lore except for Harmony.

God the band facts are so great.

Splatoon 2 had Ink Theory, which was an all-female six-piece jazz band, who formed after being inspired by the Splatoon 1 band Hightide Era. Taka of Hightide Era would be chuffed if he knew this, cause he was only in it to get people fawning over him.

Ink Theory also has a rivalry with the Bottom Feeders, a Celtic rock band, presumably because Fin Bottom, the betta fish fiddler of the Bottom Feeders, is prone to getting into fights (there is official art of this).

Anyway, I hope the DLC with Pearl and Marina decides to finally explore the band lore.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The percussionists of three different bands formed a rainmaker team together, which is just :kimchi:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Like even Salmonids have a band, and the Salmon Run Soundtrack is basically their battle hymns played during combat.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxx5HArUU6A
a thing started

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

https://twitter.com/MiniFoo/status/1578979756653309953

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve played a small amount of Anarchy battles but I feel like I need better equipment to do well. Which happens to be a very annoying process and requires grinding a bunch of chunks. Also I’ve pretty much exclusively used the Bloblobber which might be ok for Splat Zones but probably sucks for the other modes.

The splattershot and splattershot jr are two of the best weapons in the game and are good in every mode, and they are available at level 1.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I love how it's always specifically when I'm doing my rank up test that the game gives me 3 stormtroopers from star wars as my teammates and the enemy team will always have a reeflux and a ranged player who is using a fictional drug that slows down their perception of time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

raditts posted:

The splattershot and splattershot jr are two of the best weapons in the game and are good in every mode, and they are available at level 1.

I have gotten absolutely loving rinsed by Splattershot Jr users before to be sure. I also ran it myself for a long time in Splatoon 1.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah don't be fooled by the game handing you those as the first weapons. They're pretty strong even in higher levels of play.

Gear wise, don't fret too much about abilities until later. They're nice to have, but they typically won't influence that much until you know a lot more about the game and are playing against much better players and even then they're not mega game changing aside from some of the main only abilities, which are a lot easier to get your hands on like Ninja Squid. Until then, main abilities can suffice for a good bit.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It's not often a viable strat but I was just able to help win a splat zone match by dedicating myself to hunting down the reflux main and making their life hell for daring to spawn. Their teammates never covered them and it was rather cathartic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pants Donkey posted:

Like even Salmonids have a band, and the Salmon Run Soundtrack is basically their battle hymns played during combat.

And the band's name is Omega 3.

The fact that all the music in the game is actually being played at that moment in universe is my favorite bit of Splatoon lore.

Nep-Nep posted:

It's not often a viable strat but I was just able to help win a splat zone match by dedicating myself to hunting down the reflux main and making their life hell for daring to spawn. Their teammates never covered them and it was rather cathartic.

Being a nuisance and assassinating the annoying long range enemies is absolutely a viable splat zone strat. As long as your teammates aren't shitheads who won't take the zone of course, I can't count the number of times I've wiped out 2-3 members of the enemy team and look at my map to see my teammates inking home turf or just milling about the edges of the zone like a bunch of assholes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 9, 2022

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Speaking of Splatoon music, the livestream of the Deep Cut concert in Tokyo is starting soon after animal crossing
https://mntvlgj8ius

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

raditts posted:

And the band's name is Omega 3.

The fact that all the music in the game is actually being played at that moment in universe is my favorite bit of Splatoon lore.

Being a nuisance and assassinating the annoying long range enemies is absolutely a viable splat zone strat. As long as your teammates aren't shitheads who won't take the zone of course, I can't count the number of times I've wiped out 2-3 members of the enemy team and look at my map to see my teammates inking home turf or just milling about the edges of the zone like a bunch of assholes.

See also having deleted over half the enemy team with a Hydra Splatling and everyone else on my team is too busy running around in circles to just jump on the loving tower.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Nep-Nep posted:

Always do this if they're wearing a bunch of special charge up gear. Missile spamming should brick your Switch.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

weird band lore poo poo is my absolute favorite part of splatoon, i love this wild-rear end universe they've built

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
What’s the in game explanation for ABXY changing their name to Chirpy Chips? There isn’t one. N just decided to change their name outside of Japan

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is it really that they changed their name or just a localization difference? Off the Hook is called Tentacles in the Japanese version, and obviously a ton of track titles were renamed in localization.

I kinda am more familiar with all the Japanese artist/track names thanks to the OSTs being all in Japanese.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Is it really that they changed their name or just a localization difference?

What's the difference between N changing their name outside of Japan for localization, and N changing their name outside of Japan for...non-localization reasons?

Either way, ABXY is a better name.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Since we were talking about lore, I thought you were saying that there was an in-universe change of name rather than it just being one name in one region and another in another region. I agree though. I think a lot of the original names for tracks are also better but like I said maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with them. Red Hot Egoist sounds cooler than Muck Warfare.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Splat zones on mahi mahi was a poor choice for a rank-up battle... 2nd one I lost today too

Oh well at least I had a blast today in clam blitz.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
If there's one thing music bands have never done irl it's arbitrarily change names.

Splattershot Jr. talk reminds me to share my enjoyment that the card game is a really faithful microcosm of Splatoon, right on down to the starting deck being entirely adequate to beat the first 10ish opponents.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

What's the difference between N changing their name outside of Japan for localization, and N changing their name outside of Japan for...non-localization reasons?

Either way, ABXY is a better name.

the band is ABXY and her name is paruko and nintendo can pry it from my cold dead hands

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Snake Maze posted:

The difference between having 3 mains and no subs vs having 3 mains and perfectly minmaxed subs is pretty tiny. Plus the other players won’t have optimized gear either, you’re really fine jumping into ranked whenever.

I thought that each sub ability was worth like .3 of a main ability? I understand there’s diminishing returns so three subs might end up as like .7 of a main or something but that’s still pretty good and helpful.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought that each sub ability was worth like .3 of a main ability? I understand there’s diminishing returns so three subs might end up as like .7 of a main or something but that’s still pretty good and helpful.

Yeah, but even a main doesn't have that much effect; your own skills and map awareness will decide how a fight goes 95% of the time (and the most impactful skills, like ninja squid, don't have subs). Plus, in practice you won't be fighting with 0 subs for long, and the comparison between perfectly minmaxed subs and random subs gets even narrower.

They're not meaningless or anything, but it's definitely not a situation where you need to worry about being outclassed due to gear.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

This applies same as it ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfSCOXljQnQ

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are diminishing returns, but not quite like you describe. Each sub is worth 3 points where a main ability is worth 10, but the difference between going from 0 to 10 points of, say, quick super jump, is much bigger than between 10 and 20

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

In salmon run, what is the appropriate tactic when you get a round where 3 cannons spawn on the shore? Every time that happens, it turns into a sad mess, bc you can’t just have one person on foot doing all the egg collection, but I’ve never had a team that could agree who should stay on the cannons and who should hop off. And it’s a wipe as soon as there’s only one person on cannons. Idk. It’s insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

In salmon run, what is the appropriate tactic when you get a round where 3 cannons spawn on the shore? Every time that happens, it turns into a sad mess, bc you can’t just have one person on foot doing all the egg collection, but I’ve never had a team that could agree who should stay on the cannons and who should hop off. And it’s a wipe as soon as there’s only one person on cannons. Idk. It’s insane.

i just take a cannon and stay on the cannon. the rest of my team can figure their own poo poo out