Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Im thinking of giving this a go, but dont wanna pay full price for expansions. How much is my experience going to be impaired by starting f2p and waiting on the expansions?

Also any tips for a solid pvp char which is basically most of what ill want to do at end game. Something not too complicated that can flip support and dps i guess, because thats how i read this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

You will get the core game, which is pretty good.

You get what ever living world you log in for.

You wont get mounts (PoF expax)
You wont get fishing (EoD expax)
You wont get gliding (HoT expax)

You only have access to core builds, some of which are still totally viable.

Give it a go. Its free isnt it? if you like the core game, the expansions add to it, but its still pretty much the core game.

Edit- pvp is seperate from wvw and pve.

mettabattle and snowcrows websites will have builds.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You probably won't notice much restrictions, if anything, for a very long time. You can even use the TP, though in a very restricted fashion.

Maybe you'll notice not having bag slots.

PvP is normalized without gear/lvl mattering

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

A friend just came back after 9 years, no expansions. They gave him the raptor but with a timer. Just long enough for him to get used to it before losing it. He's still holding firm waiting for an expansion sale but mostly by restarting new characters when his raptor timer runs out (its apparently per character). His last hope is a Black Friday sale but he is very close to caving and getting the HoT-PoF bundle at full price after seeing the hopper and glider in action.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
And maguuma is where goons are i think? Its full right now, does that ever change or am i gently caressed with that?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Aster0ids posted:

And maguuma is where goons are i think? Its full right now, does that ever change or am i gently caressed with that?

It only matters for WvW and they are about to run another beta test of a system to fix that. They've been talking it up for a while now though and there is no ETA for a full release.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

bagrada posted:

A friend just came back after 9 years, no expansions. They gave him the raptor but with a timer. Just long enough for him to get used to it before losing it. He's still holding firm waiting for an expansion sale but mostly by restarting new characters when his raptor timer runs out (its apparently per character). His last hope is a Black Friday sale but he is very close to caving and getting the HoT-PoF bundle at full price after seeing the hopper and glider in action.

HoT/PoF will almost certainly be on sale, and EoD may also end up picking up a discount.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm hoping the living seasons go on sale soon. I like the game but the giant holes between expansions make it a little hard to follow without them.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not making them purchasable on Steam separately seems like a big miss. Each season may not be as fleshed out as a full expansion, but it's definitely something that a player might not realize they want until they've already been playing for a while

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Also we need them for the Legendary Ammy which I realized today.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm hoping the living seasons go on sale soon. I like the game but the giant holes between expansions make it a little hard to follow without them.

They probably will for Black Friday / Christmas. Although I’m not sure if EoD will get a discount. It’s only been out 8 months.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kris xK posted:

Also we need them for the Legendary Ammy which I realized today.

There's also one you can make with sPvP rewards, if you're into that

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hello Sailor posted:

There's also one you can make with sPvP rewards, if you're into that

While true, if you get into the game and intend on doing all the living world seasons, it’s hard to justify making Transcendence instead of just doing Seasons of the Dragon. GW2 Efficiency pegs the material cost of Transcendence right now at about 866g.

If you enjoy sPvP (it’s good, IMO) you’re probably better off funneling the resources for playing ranked into The Ascension (the cheapest legendary backpack; 400g cheaper in mats than Ad Infinitum and over 460g cheaper than Warbringer when you factor in the commander tag, not even getting into the time investment to hit rank 350). Beyond that you can use ranked sPvP to start working on legendary armor.

Do what you like, of course, just it’s really hard to pass up a “free” legendary particularly given all the other rewards that come alongside it.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Does anyone have a guide for untamed? It feels very different from what I usually run Reaper/Vindicator.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've got the WvW legendary ring as the last legendary trinket slot to craft now that I got all the tickets needed, but at this point I feel like it might be wise to see if season 1 (or even 5) ends in a legendary ring collection and save those tickets for some legendary armor.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I can’t see them doing anything more for S1. They could do one for S5, but I think you’re gonna be waiting until 2024 for the end of that season to make it even if they do it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

leekster posted:

Does anyone have a guide for untamed? It feels very different from what I usually run Reaper/Vindicator.

unless you're legitimately a god gamer i wouldn't bother, this thing has at least twice the APM of any other spec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-lFDhGcHA

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

where the red fern gropes posted:

unless you're legitimately a god gamer i wouldn't bother, this thing has at least twice the APM of any other spec

If you're just looking for a Ranger spec instead of an EoD spec, power soulbeast is still an avalanche of burst damage. The nerf a year or two ago just made them not completely overpowered.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

where the red fern gropes posted:

I play untamed, but not the super high dps tryhard version I play the chill "ignore mechanics if you want" version seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGImnEG5VI

still does very respectable overall dps, good burst, and survives better than the previously super popular condi renegade

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Trip report:

Levelling 1-80 on a fresh necromancer was really fun! I’m enjoying making new characters and levelling then up. Mesmer was good, Guardian feels super bland so far.

Brought my Revenant to Heart of Thorns. What a clusterfuck fuelled by sadism and drugs. This is not what I expected from the first zone.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

HoT is a big learning curve.

Most of those maps i will only do in a train.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
HoT can be tough in parts. In general, can recommend purchasing a higher-tier jade bot core if you can afford it for the extra vit.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
But! HoT has my favourite metas.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
HoT is also much easier and fun once you have more mounts and can avoid most fights while traveling.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

over time you come to learn the problem enemies and how to deal with them. i.e. the snipers are overtuned but that just makes it really funny to reflect their bullshit back at them

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I enjoy builds with lots of aoe and just massacring every pocket raptor I encounter

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
and delete every (veteran) smokescale I can see

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I'm really bad at operating the skiff.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm really bad at operating the skiff.

But a pioneer in submersibles!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I have EoD but I'm not ready to play it yet for LORE reasons. How far into it would I have to go to get the boat though?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Like 30 minutes

Basically after the opening sequence, you can get the boat from the first map as soon as you find the heart to unlock it

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Lpzie posted:

I have EoD but I'm not ready to play it yet for LORE reasons. How far into it would I have to go to get the boat though?

Not too terribly long, maybe 45-60 minutes your first time through since you won't know your way around. But if you're looking to play the game in lore order you're gonna have a lot of stuff spoiled in that time.

I've never checked to see if getting it is related to the heart or to the story part that leads you to the heart. If its the former and you have a teleport to friend you may be able to get it really quick and avoid story spoilers, though.

insertdumbnamehere fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 10, 2022

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lpzie posted:

you basically run into a bunch of characters that aren't dead so you know they won't die in the story up to that point (except a few that are missing, but that doesn't mean anything)

otherwise the only Major Spoiler™ is the name of the water elder dragon, which... has zero bearing on anything because it's just their name. unless you count scarlet but season 1 sucks rear end and so does she, she dies at the end of it gently caress scarlet

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

guys jsut coming back after not playign since before EoD lauch, is mechanist still good? i wann blast poo poo with a robot for 0 effort.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

queeb posted:

guys jsut coming back after not playign since before EoD lauch, is mechanist still good? i wann blast poo poo with a robot for 0 effort.

i went through a bunch of content as specter and thought wow this is pretty easy, then did it with the mechanist and it was a whole new level of easy

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

insertdumbnamehere posted:

Not too terribly long, maybe 45-60 minutes your first time through since you won't know your way around. But if you're looking to play the game in lore order you're gonna have a lot of stuff spoiled in that time.

I've never checked to see if getting it is related to the heart or to the story part that leads you to the heart. If its the former and you have a teleport to friend you may be able to get it really quick and avoid story spoilers, though.

It's the former. You can just teleport to friend, do the heart, and then you're good to go. I helped my husband unlock his that way.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

CODChimera posted:

i went through a bunch of content as specter and thought wow this is pretty easy, then did it with the mechanist and it was a whole new level of easy

hell yeah 80 boosting an engy.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

queeb posted:

hell yeah 80 boosting an engy.

drat, mechanist be crazy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

queeb posted:

drat, mechanist be crazy

its like running around with a machine gun and grenade launcher. oh and a giant robot that almost never dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just started the season 1 stuff.

omg i forgot how much i miss the original lions Arch. Its a cliche by now, but jes, that was a real city.

AND it only just dawned on me the Marg's lineage is from Cantha because she is asian >< for some reason that has never clicked until now..

So dont worry about playing things out of order