Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I know it's not a faithful adaptation of the comics, but I've always been fond of Lucifer because Tom Ellis is just so drat charming as Lucifer. It being set up initially as a police procedural show is weird but also a product of it being on network TV I think, since those are the most popular TV dramas (Law and Order, NCIS, CSI, all that jazz)

I liked the TV show Lucifer quite a bit, but I never expected it to be anything like the comics in all their weirdness. I'm cognizant that there's pitchforks and torches ready to go for people like me in a thread for a serious adaptation :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tequila25 posted:

Totally seconding this. There’s even a filler issue where they visit a part of the Dreaming with an appearance from Cain and Abel.

Neat, will have to add this to my backlog thanks

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The issue of Swamp Thing with the vampires living underwater in an old drowned town has stuck in my brain for the better part of 15 years.

I can't remember how much he's in the Moore run, but Matthew Cable, before he became Dream's Raven, is also a Swamp Thing character.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I liked the TV show Lucifer quite a bit, but I never expected it to be anything like the comics in all their weirdness. I'm cognizant that there's pitchforks and torches ready to go for people like me in a thread for a serious adaptation :ohdear:

Lucifer the show is good dumb fun and that’s a hill I will always die on. If I didn’t know and love the comics I would have given it a shot much earlier than I did and been happy with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bussamove posted:

Lucifer the show is good dumb fun and that’s a hill I will always die on. If I didn’t know and love the comics I would have given it a shot much earlier than I did and been happy with it.

My problem with Lucifer the show is that they tried to take things from the comics. If they'd made it purely independent, adding whatever justification they needed for him to live in LA and help the cops, I wouldn't have minded.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jedit posted:

My problem with Lucifer the show is that they tried to take things from the comics. If they'd made it purely independent, adding whatever justification they needed for him to live in LA and help the cops, I wouldn't have minded.

Yeah, for me it's sort of like the Uncanny Valley. It's close enough to Lucifer without being an actual adaptation that I can't give it a fair shake on its own terms.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's exactly why it took me so long to actually give it a serious watch. And honestly it took me a long time to stop going "this feels weird" about it. The fact it's incredibly loosely based on the comic is definitely a bit of a weight around its neck early on-- eventually it starts to lean into its own thing and is way better (and stupider in a good way) for it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Must give Lucifer a try then, as I thought it was just an attempt to latch onto the Supernatural gravy train.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife has watched most of the Lucifer series on netflix, she is really into buddy cop shows, law and order svu etc it fits that mold well. Like if buffy the vampire slayer was a buddy cop show in LA

There's some supernatural stuff in season 1 but by season 2 and three I think they did enough audience polling that they decided to dial that stuff way back and the fact that lucifer is, well, satan, is mostly a novelty and spice of life kind of thing. I guess it got cancelled after ~5 seasons and netflix picked it up for 2-3 more seasons and they were able to loop back in some intersting conversations between lucifer and god gave me "Good Omens" (terry pratchett series/tv adaptation) vibes, especially the crowley/Aziraphale and lucifer/Amenadiel matchups where one is trying to get out of having to do hell stuff, and the angel is trying to get things back in order before "dad" finds out

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Hey, I really liked The Watch. Takes all sorts

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hey, I really liked The Watch. Takes all sorts

Oh that show kinda owned. It was very much doing its own give-no-fucks Terry Pratchett by way of Terry Gilliam adaptation, but they also clearly cared about the source material. It was just their own funky version of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Must give Lucifer a try then, as I thought it was just an attempt to latch onto the Supernatural gravy train.

It's more like an attempt to latch onto the Castle gravy train. I gave up on Lucifer after the scene with the rappers. You could practically see the room of middle aged white men high fiving themselves after writing that scene where they finally and totally got to dunk on hip hop music.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh that show kinda owned. It was very much doing its own give-no-fucks Terry Pratchett by way of Terry Gilliam adaptation, but they also clearly cared about the source material. It was just their own funky version of it.

A shame that they only occasionally remembered how to write funny jokes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

A shame that they only occasionally remembered how to write funny jokes.

Sure, and that was a flaw, as was the slack pacing, but I respect the show's moxie.

I'd rather something take a big swing and miss than just succeed at something mediocre. And the tone was its own fun, encouraged fun. I watched it with a mate, we didn't take it remotely seriously and had a ball. And it was clearly a labour of love behind the scenes; the costumes for the Assassin's Guild were awesome, and Richard Dorner was clearly giving it several thousand percent. Anna Chancellor was pretty inspired casting for the Patrician as well.

I write this, FWIW, as a fan of the books. When the local library was chucking out a bunch of old copies I scooped them up and taped them back together -- I've still got a battered copies of Small Gods and Witches Abroad that haven't completely fallen to bits. I've seen plenty of adaptations that go completely straight with the material, like the animated adaptations from the 90's (still some of the best casting for the three witches that will ever be IMO) but there's something to be said for radical adaptations too.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 9, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sure, and that was a flaw, as was the slack pacing, but I respect the show's moxie.

I'd rather something take a big swing and miss than just succeed at something mediocre. And the tone was its own fun, encouraged fun. I watched it with a mate, we didn't take it remotely seriously and had a ball. And it was clearly a labour of love behind the scenes; the costumes for the Assassin's Guild were awesome, and Richard Dorner was clearly giving it several thousand percent. Anna Chancellor was pretty inspired casting for the Patrician as well.

I honestly think it's one of the most successful adaptations of his work in that they tried something different instead of just having actors standing still and quoting parts of his books.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

I honestly think it's one of the most successful adaptations of his work in that they tried something different instead of just having actors standing still and quoting parts of his books.

Each to their own, but I hate The Watch for what they did to make it.
They stole it from the Pratchett production company who were working on it since 2012, and the nobody producers took all the glory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oh that show kinda owned. It was very much doing its own give-no-fucks Terry Pratchett by way of Terry Gilliam adaptation, but they also clearly cared about the source material.

Ah, that explains why they kicked Terry's daughter out of the production process and threw away all of her work that was endorsed by her father. It's because they cared.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They cared about source material so much they didn't want to use any of it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

cptn_dr posted:

The issue of Swamp Thing with the vampires living underwater in an old drowned town has stuck in my brain for the better part of 15 years.

I can't remember how much he's in the Moore run, but Matthew Cable, before he became Dream's Raven, is also a Swamp Thing character.

He had a pretty central role in the early parts of the run.

(John Constantine also came from there, in case nobody's remembered to mention that recently.)

Moore's run on Swamp Thing also marked the spot where DC comics decided that the CCA stamp of approval could go gently caress itself.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

‘The Sandman’ Renewed For Season 2 At Netflix
https://deadline.com/2022/11/the-sandman-season-two-netflix-dc-comics-1235161722/

finally

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Huh. I genuinely didn't think they would.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
https://mobile.twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1587961504455831552

And now it's official.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

God, that's the most ignorant article I've ever seen. The writer literally doesn't realise that Morpheus and Dream are the same entity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Imagine being the 19 year old editor who signed off on that poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What a relief, the season kind of fell apart in the back half but the first half was real good and Calliope as an example of what standalone episodes could be was just excellent, I would have been sad not to see more.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Any idea why it took them so long to decide? I know it's an expensive show, but more expensive poo poo has been renewed in less time in the past.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure how rights/ownership of characters/stories works with comic books. Dream/sandman was a reimagining of an earlier DC comics character so it's probably less clear-cut than something like spider-man or wolverine

This section is kind of interesting/odd https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gaiman#Litigation basically gaiman introduces "medieval spawn" in a spawn comic book at the request of todd mcfarlaine, but neil gaiman claims he owns that character which I guess caused a new comic book imprint to be created as a workaround for not having to pay neil royalties?

I have no idea how any of this works but presumably neil owns this iteration of sandman, not DC (which surprises me, but ok) so probably he held out for leverage on negotiations for rights or payment or whatever for season 2. Netflix has been struggling financially and probably gave him a very mediocre deal for season 2. based on his demands for royalties on medieval spawn he's probably at least a medium to decent negotiator when it comes to making money off his properties

Although, maybe DC still has royalty rights to sandman in some respects? Curious how that works out.

https://imagecomics.fandom.com/wiki/Medieval_Spawn

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Most of that was Todd being an idiot. Very generous with the rights in his big guest issues of Spawn but then forgot/ignored that and used the characters as though he owned them outright.

DC was less foolish. They own Sandman but at some point Neil got hold of a lot of adaptation rights (creative control and refusal at least, not sure what share of the money) likely as part of the deals for some of the anniversary projects.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The same thing happened with Angela, the angel character from Spawn. Neil Gaiman owned the rights and then signed a deal with Marvel to do a bunch of stuff and it culminated with them putting a Spawn character in a bunch of Marvel comics, and they then later bought the rights to her.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

And this was all involved in Neil and Marvel getting rights to Miracleman that Todd had purchased from Eclipse's creditors, but those rights had probably reverted to Mick Anglo or maybe someone else...

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
now for Raised by Wolves!!!!

right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

The same thing happened with Angela, the angel character from Spawn. Neil Gaiman owned the rights and then signed a deal with Marvel to do a bunch of stuff and it culminated with them putting a Spawn character in a bunch of Marvel comics, and they then later bought the rights to her.

Didn't Gaiman sell the rights to Angela for dollar or something?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

now for Raised by Wolves!!!!

right?

I think that one's in the domain of a different Endless.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Happy to see a second season. Hopefully something good comes out of it!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Didn't Gaiman sell the rights to Angela for dollar or something?

I doubt it; he sold them with movie rights in mind. But I'm given to believe one condition of the sale was that Marvel would reprint Miracleman and let him finish the story.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Any idea why it took them so long to decide? I know it's an expensive show, but more expensive poo poo has been renewed in less time in the past.

Apparently, the show wasn't as well-binged as they'd have liked. IT was watched for millions of hours but people took their time watching it, allowing it to digest, and not rushing it, and the Netflix algorithm HATES that, so they had to analyze the data to ensure that it was watched enough to warrant a season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Apparently, the show wasn't as well-binged as they'd have liked. IT was watched for millions of hours but people took their time watching it, allowing it to digest, and not rushing it, and the Netflix algorithm HATES that, so they had to analyze the data to ensure that it was watched enough to warrant a season 2.

Source?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Neil Gaiman mentioned it on twitter a while back when asked about what was taking so long, but it appears he deleted that tweet when things finally got confirmed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wouldn't surprise me if each year run of sandman has like a ~30 year cliff where the majority rights and payout revert back to NG and he was just running out the clock for maximum payout. His tweet is interesting but he doesn't need to tell the whole truth with it either

Is there like, a definitive source on when writers create a character what is the industry standards for how this stuff works, who owns what and how/when do rights revert

Clearly NG has more leverage than the average writer in a negotiation but I'm a little surprised DC isn't mentioned at all in any of this Netflix stuff, I was surprised to find out it was published by DC and not an independent label

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Hadlock posted:

Is there like, a definitive source on when writers create a character what is the industry standards for how this stuff works, who owns what and how/when do rights revert

most comics writing is for-hire stuff and the creators never get rights. Neil is a big deal now, but when he was working for DC/Vertigo, he was still making his name, and Sandman is still owned by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
IIRC he founded the comics legal defense fund because of how hard he got screwed by mcfarlane