Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
there seems a real diversity of opinion on this topic. i asked a buddy of mine in Mexico City for his take. i will quote:

quote:

the Real Academia de la Lengua can kiss my rear end about censoring inclusive pronouns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is there a 6-9 syllable word conjunction or hyphenation that sidesteps trying to cram multiples groups into a single word that wasn't originally used for it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Is there a 6-9 syllable word conjunction or hyphenation that sidesteps trying to cram multiples groups into a single word that wasn't originally used for it.

Sounds like a job for German

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Uh, why not just use "latin"? As much as I dislike that word to describe me, it seems gender neutral and is already established.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
If APA 7 is going to be a focal point of discussion, then the full section on "Hispanic or Latinx ethnicity" ought be posted.

quote:

People of Hispanic or Latinx ethnicity

When writing about people who identify as Hispanic, Latino (or Latinx, etc.), Chicano, or another related designation, authors should consult with their participants to determine the appropriate choice. Note that “Hispanic” is not necessarily an all-encompassing term, and the labels “Hispanic” and “Latino” have different connotations. The term “Latino” (and its related forms) might be preferred by those originating from Latin America, including Brazil. Some use the word “Hispanic” to refer to those who speak Spanish; however, not every group in Latin America speaks Spanish (e.g., in Brazil, the official language is Portuguese). The word “Latino” is gendered (i.e., “Latino” is masculine and “Latina” is feminine); the use of the word “Latin@” to mean both Latino and Latina is now widely accepted. “Latinx” can also be used as a gender-neutral or nonbinary term inclusive of all genders. There are compelling reasons to use any of the terms “Latino,” “Latina,” “Latino/a,” “Latin@,” and/or “Latinx” (see de Onís, 2017), and various groups advocate for the use of different forms. Use the term(s) your participants or population uses; if you are not working directly with this population but it is a focus of your research, it may be helpful to explain why you chose the term you used or to choose a more inclusive term like “Latinx.” In general, naming a nation or region of origin is preferred (e.g., Bolivian, Salvadoran, or Costa Rican is more specific than Latino, Latinx, Latin American, or Hispanic).

Clicky (about 1/3 down the page? Just search for latin.)

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 9, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One day English will come up with a non gender specific singular pronoun so conversations involving multiple people don't have to be so unnecessarily confusing at times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eej posted:

One day English will come up with a non gender specific singular pronoun so conversations involving multiple people don't have to be so unnecessarily confusing at times.

They.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How dare I

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Uh, why not just use "latin"? As much as I dislike that word to describe me, it seems gender neutral and is already established.

Stealing Italian valor imo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

slurm posted:

Italian valor

Lol wut

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

slurm posted:

Stealing Italian valor imo

Italian valor is a two word joke you could execute and hang from a metal girder in a plaza in Milan, after you caught it fleeing for its life.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheWeedNumber posted:

yes I know that yakub poo poo isn’t real. Meme still works

I know this doesn't fit but it's the only thing that came into my hollowed-out mind once this came across my feed:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1578957396604424193?t=ZeZqTSEdkZ6bR2jXjyHXkw&s=19

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Kanye West is the Scientology of hip-hop.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Eej posted:

dude

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
death con 3 lol

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We went on death con 6 million in WW2, 3 seems quaint.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Eej posted:

"Fuckos"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
You'll find fuckx to be more inclusive, surely

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

We went on death con 6 million in WW2, 3 seems quaint.

It was more than 6m that died in the kz's. Don't forget them.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

You'll find fuckx to be more inclusive, surely

Fucksticks?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It was more than 6m that died in the kz's. Don't forget them.

My education on the matter was pretty much: Holocaust was around 11m dead, 6m Jews, 5 million non Jews. This not historically accurate? I’d do some googling but.. it was a throwaway joke.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

I know this doesn't fit but it's the only thing that came into my hollowed-out mind once this came across my feed:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1578957396604424193?t=ZeZqTSEdkZ6bR2jXjyHXkw&s=19

It’s already gone. What did I miss?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

there seems a real diversity of opinion on this topic. i asked a buddy of mine in Mexico City for his take. i will quote:

gently caress it let’s give it 20 years and see how it shakes out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheWeedNumber posted:

It’s already gone. What did I miss?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

This is wild but not as wild as what you see in images when you Google ‘I know it smell crazy in there Indian twitter’

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 9, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
To give you a sneak peek of what I’m talking about, references to black people being sold for “5 dabloons in the 1500s” were made by citizens of the Republic of India, a “beacon of civilization” according to another racist Indian.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's shocking to me how terrible everything is sometimes lol

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I got a question, how is a snitch claiming to still be bound to secrecy? Like you a snitch, just spill all the beans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/08/opinion/chelsea-manning.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

I got a question, how is a snitch claiming to still be bound to secrecy? Like you a snitch, just spill all the beans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/08/opinion/chelsea-manning.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

paywalled so this might not be what she’s on about, but you aren’t just let out of the nda just because you violate it once

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TheWeedNumber posted:

I would also like to avoid federal prison as long as possible.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

hypnophant posted:

paywalled so this might not be what she’s on about, but you aren’t just let out of the nda just because you violate it once

My bad I forgot not everyone knows about https://12ft.io/.

I’m still mocking the headline though.

ASAPI posted:

I would also like to avoid federal prison as long as possible.

Move to a non extradition country, talk all the poo poo you want.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

Move to a non extradition country, talk all the poo poo you want.

even venezuela will extradite you now so unless you reaaaally love vodka or headscarves, this probably isn’t an option

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AtraMorS posted:

If APA 7 is going to be a focal point of discussion, then the full section on "Hispanic or Latinx ethnicity" ought be posted.

Clicky (about 1/3 down the page? Just search for latin.)

I am a fan of this post.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"I can't be racist because I'm black" is a hell of a take.

Are the Kardashians and/or Pete Davidson Jewish?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not really. Davidson's dad had significant Jewish ancestry, but not his mom, and Davidson wasn't raised Jewish.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dad Kardashian was raised eastern protestant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Christianity

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Cmonmack1/status/1578986972705849344

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Finally, somebody willing to get some answers out of The Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I really wish Kanye could get the support he needs instead of whatever the hell is going on with the people who should be looking out for him. :smith: