Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

i still like the theory that the reason that the us made Canada house arrest that huawei girlboss is that they drank the koolaid on tech execs being drivers of innovation and genuinely thought that that would deal a massive blow to Chinese telecommunications development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

id like to take a brief moment to say gently caress cathay pacific because they just completely poo poo all over my itinerary by telling me the plane ticket i bought on their website was somehow for a cargo plane

now im in the situation of needing to quarantine in hong kong and figuring out another way to get into china entirely and i have no idea what to do like how does quarantine even work if youre on a train do you have to do it again every time you enter a new province

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lmao, they gave you ticket for a cargo plane bro.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
post your seven tweets to their customer service @

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How could Cathay Pacific do this

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bad news everyone

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

bad news everyone

:lol:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’ll post a tweet in his honour
https://twitter.com/cgmeifangzhang/status/1579035911110946817

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tankbuster posted:

The chinese just stole elon musk like every other piece of american tech.

That was actually one of the smartest moves (either by accident or intensional). This guy was doing the cover for the US military for the Starlink thing, which is exactly what Howard Hughes was doing for CIA. However, because China got Tesla invested in China so much, he doesn't want to activate Starlink anywhere near China.

The way China got Tesla built new plant in China is a classic example of China getting high tech companies to build factories and and then transfer the know how and component sourcing to China. I think the phrase I am thinking of is moving the supply chain and value chain to China without outright stealing or copying.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You get more leg room in the cargo plane.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
cross-posting from the Ukraine thread:

gradenko_2000 posted:

These are highlights from chapter 1 of "Flight MH17, Ukraine, and the New Cold War: Prism of Disaster" by Kees van der Pijl, published in 2018

- reminder that Joe Biden spent Thanksgiving last year with Carlyle Group co-founder David Rubenstein
- this is the first time I've seen the People Power Movement in the Philippines described as a forerunner to a Colour Revolution in a published work before, which is surprising, because this is a post I made in March of this year:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I want to call back yet again to the People Power Movement of February 1986, where two senior military officers from the dictatorial regime of Ferdinand Marcos Sr. decided to mutiny, and the Catholic Church and the liberal opposition decided that THAT was the time to seize the moment, and they called out as many people as possible to form a human shield around the army camp that the two mutineers were holed-up in, and Marcos sent in troops to try and break it up, and there were way too many people to be dispersed, and the troops were unwilling to open fire on that many people.

Reagan, under the advice of Paul Wolfowitz and Paul Laxalt (R-NV), told Marcos Sr over the phone to "cut and cut cleanly", meaning the US was NOT going to support him if he decided to fight this, but they would go as far as to guarantee his safe exit from the country.

So, he got on a plane to Hawaii, and the history books record this as one of the world's few non-violent revolutions, with the sheer will of The People bringing down a dictator that had ruled the country for over 20 years.

Problem #1: it was NOT a non-violent revolution if you count all of the thousands of people that had been killed trying to resist the Marcos regime in those last 20 years.

Problem #2: Marcos was removed, and so was his top general, Fabian Ver, but literally no one else was. The superstructure of oligarchs and politicians that he had left behind remained intact, and the restoration of bourgeois liberal "democracy" that lead to his becoming dictator was not fundamentally changed. Agrarian reform didn't happen, the new President went along with liberalizing the economy and privatizing the public sector, and insofar as Marcos "nationalized" certain key industries so he could award them to his cronies for free, those corporations were given back to the families that previously owned them. Indeed, Rodrigo Duterte, who is still our president until May of this year, got his political start because of People Power, with the new President appointing him as Acting Mayor of Davao City, and then he spun that position into becoming elected Mayor of Davao City for the next 30 years!

I mention all of this because if we go by the Marxist definition of a revolution as the overthrow of one class by another, then this was NOT a revolution, but merely a coup.

And that's what Color Revolutions are - they're coups, but the fact that they're even called or considered revolutions is part-and-parcel of the generous Western media treatment that they receive.

I followed the citation and it leads to "The Discipline of Western Supremacy: Modes of Foreign Relations and Political Economy, Volume III", by the same author, published in 2014

now, People Power being a colour revolution, and from there linking up to Myanmar, Tiananmen and Falun Gong (with the other arm branching out to Eastern Europe) is eyebrow-raising enough by itself, but then the link to the International Republican Institute is also interesting because of its links to the Jesse Robredo Foundation:

The IRI does receive funding from NED: https://www.ned.org/wp-content/them...&start=1&sbmt=1

Specifically, they received a 300,000 USD grant from NED in 2016 to support their partnership with the YLGG:

Why does this matter? Because Jesse Robredo is the late husband of this person:

Colour revolutions, right?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

gradenko_2000 posted:

[a very good effortpost]

Why does this matter? Because Jesse Robredo is the late husband of this person:

Colour revolutions, right?

Ronald Reaganishly: “The eleven most terrifying words in the English language are, ‘I’m a former human rights lawyer and I’m here to help.’”

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

That was actually one of the smartest moves (either by accident or intensional). This guy was doing the cover for the US military for the Starlink thing, which is exactly what Howard Hughes was doing for CIA. However, because China got Tesla invested in China so much, he doesn't want to activate Starlink anywhere near China.

The way China got Tesla built new plant in China is a classic example of China getting high tech companies to build factories and and then transfer the know how and component sourcing to China. I think the phrase I am thinking of is moving the supply chain and value chain to China without outright stealing or copying.

what is dumber than a western liberal is the global south electoralism kool-aid liberal who still can't see the neocolonial powers age-old playbook of denying them domestically-owned industrialization in tyool almost 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Karen insurgents

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I remember the first part but not the 2nd.

lol that av

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

Karen insurgents

1st tactical complain to the manager brigade reporting

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this cathay pacific situation really blows i think its possible that my hangzhou flight wasnt a cargo flight but that it was just overbooked and that was why they pulled the hong kong health code check requirement out of their asses but now their website claims they dont do any flights to hangzhou at all so i dont know what the fucks going on with them theyve also told me my flight last night was canceled which it very clearly wasnt and the story in general changes depending on whoever i happen to be talking to at any given moment

i have a rescheduled flight into hong kong tonight that requires the hong kong health code check but i dont have any phone number in hong kong or hotel to stay in for three days im really agitated about the idea of having to do a quarantine in hong kong for three days when i dont even want to be in hong kong at all but cathay pacific seems really deadset on making transferring in hong kong as big of a pain in the rear end as possible for people considering that allegedly hong kong trying to gets its mojo back as an international hub and gateway into china is the citys number one priority right now

i want to just demand refunds for everything and tell all these people to go gently caress themselves and find another way in entirely but hong kong will presumably give me free covid tests i can use for my chinese green code and dealing with that in the united states was a huge hassle because of all the trouble i had figuring out which tests qualified not to mention how expensive they were i dunno i could really use like just any kind of advice at all right now its been a really lovely twelve hours here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Some Guy TT posted:

id like to take a brief moment to say gently caress cathay pacific because they just completely poo poo all over my itinerary by telling me the plane ticket i bought on their website was somehow for a cargo plane

now im in the situation of needing to quarantine in hong kong and figuring out another way to get into china entirely and i have no idea what to do like how does quarantine even work if youre on a train do you have to do it again every time you enter a new province

i think you probably have to quarantine just once, wherever you officially cross the border. so if you had to get out of the train and go through customs in shenzhen, it would be quarantine in shenzhen. if you don't do that until you're in hangzhou or something, you sit your rear end on the train until you arrive in hangzhou

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

"port of entry" is the key phrase for quarantine stuff

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

With the current 0+3 I think they also will let you bugger off before the quarantine period is ended. They don't even keep you in the hotel during the 3 day period, you can go out and poo poo.

When I did Return2HK from the mainland there was a 0 hotel + 14 self monitored and I left on day 7 for the UK with no problem.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

will they be giving me covid tests the whole time im there because since i got hosed by the airline now i need to get my green code again and that bullshit on its own was like half the cost of the flight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also does anyone care where i stay or can it just be anywhere in the city

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.outlookindia.com/intern...ia--news-228106

This is only tangentially related to this thread but wtf is hinduphobia? It's been something I see come up a lot more in recent months. Is it something the RSS/BJP types have been pushing?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've met plenty of racist white people, I don't think any hated the concept of Hinduism, they just hated nonwhites.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when the freaks were calling Jack Ma the new Elon Musk and talking about how China can't have their own Musk

liberals who complain about American oligarchs and also decry the AUTHORITARIANISM of Jack Ma being DISAPPEARED (to his private jet and yacht)

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.outlookindia.com/intern...ia--news-228106

This is only tangentially related to this thread but wtf is hinduphobia? It's been something I see come up a lot more in recent months. Is it something the RSS/BJP types have been pushing?

probably a mix of both, britian is really racist against southeast Asians to the point where there’s special slurs that only work in the island but the RSS/BJP types are gonna use it to justify their islamaphobia back home

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/pplsartofwar/status/1578901229652283393

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant believe this tankie is bragging about committing genocide

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DrewPavlou/status/1577730076401016832

Got his rear end lmfao

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

I hate when the Chinese ambassador spoofs my email to email himself a bomb threat from me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LOCK
HIM
UP

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

wow it's so wild how this keeps happening to this guy

https://twitter.com/DrewPavlou/status/1578560124569808897

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/Bilibalabiong/status/1577813232663658496?s=20&t=dvbzKN54N5WbwWukgQpi5A

Lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Some quality CCP propaganda from the chief Bloomberg economist

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ontent=business

quote:

Who’s right? Certainly, China’s pandemic response doesn’t look as impressive as it once did. As the chart on the next page shows, lives have been saved, but growth has been sacrificed. Still, don’t forget the price other countries paid to recoup a semblance of normal life: a million dead in the US, a million more in Europe. If China had followed a similar path, given its larger population and stretched health-care resources, the numbers could easily have been substantially higher.

quote:

There’s another way of looking at it. China has a serious problem with inequality. A chasm in income distribution rivaling those in Latin America and Africa is complicating Beijing’s efforts to make progress on important goals such as arresting the rapid decline of the workforce by boosting fertility. A study released this year by a Chinese think tank pegged the cost of raising a child to the age of 18 at 485,000 yuan, or 6.9 times average annual income, a higher proportion than in the US and major European countries. For many low- and middle-income families, that’s prohibitively high.

Seen through the prism of those pressing social challenges, it’s possible—and maybe even more plausible—to make the case that Xi’s common prosperity agenda is grounded in sound public policy, a Chinese authoritarian version of the progressive policies also on the table in the US and Europe.

quote:

A correct reading of China’s history reveals not a country that never encounters crises, but rather a country that frequently encounters and overcomes them. I hope its policymakers do so again. If they don’t, the consequences for China’s 1.4 billion people, and a world economy that has come to count on this engine of growth, would be catastrophic. 

Thank you, comrade orlik

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1579235548115632128

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

he gave up on RedStar OS? coward!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Palladium posted:

what is dumber than a western liberal is the global south electoralism kool-aid liberal who still can't see the neocolonial powers age-old playbook of denying them domestically-owned industrialization in tyool almost 2023

whitewashing colonialism has been so successful they forgot how they did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've met plenty of racist white people, I don't think any hated the concept of Hinduism, they just hated nonwhites.

A shocking number of americans in the heartland I met knew about hinduism through Temple of Doom.