Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

And last year they made out like dynamic nation ratings were a big deal. My understanding is that each chairperson will have a "how easily influenced are they?" rating, so fan response is getting filtered through that and then they're not going to fire you if you're meeting the pre-existing criteria we've had for years anyway.

I'm looking forward to a chairman going through three managers in ten games, but SI are too good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I grabbed FBM22 Mobile on iOS on a lark and have no idea what I'm doing. My experience level is I sometimes watch EPL games with a friend of mine and I know what the basic positions are. I've played FIFA once or twice.

Is https://www.guidetofm.com/ from the OP the best resource for me?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm sure it was posted at the start of the month, but since there's two days left:

Remember that Football Manager 22 is free on epic games via Prime Gaming

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mrenda posted:

Headline announcements for FM23 were just made. No woman's foot this year (I imagine it'd be the first thing they'd announce if it was.) UEFA competitions are now included with a license, branding, logos, official group draws, etc. There's a new staff interaction style system for transfers, a kind of internal rating system you control where you set up your own squad depth and then look for targets based on that appraisal. There's a revamp/more inclusive supporter profile, where the style of a club's fans will affect your rating as a manager/job security, etc. You can see some of the fan profiles, so whether they're casual fans, hardcore fans, fairweather or corporate, etc. And that should tie into how much time you have as a manager, what their expectations are, etc. Finally, there's the good old match engine improvements, Nic Madden was saying every on-the-ball decision has been overhauled, so they're more believable in how they make decisions. The last time they talked about decision making there was a big improvement, so hopefully that holds out again. (My own desire is that teams play badly in a more believable manner, rather than just turning to complete idiots playing a better team.) Finally, the match engine stuff is hinting at gegenpressing no longer being the only real tactic anyone employees. Teams can make use of soaking tactics and counter attacking tactics more, and part of that is tied to both tactical setup changes and player decisions.

Overall, it seems like there's a lot of gloss being put on some elements, while it'll be the match engine stuff that makes the real difference.

Ugh. Can't do my normal first save with Arsenal then. Our supporter profile will be "entitled deluded cunts"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's the default.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Mrenda posted:

I'm looking forward to a chairman going through three managers in ten games, but SI are too good for that.

Only if you tick the 'Watford Owner' option in the editor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The FM FC mailing list club thing is loving garbage.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Either I've gone through a big hormonal change, or some other life altering event, but I'm convinced they put through changes with the last update on a timed release with this. I actually saw a player miss a penalty wide. Goals are coming in bags like you'd expect with a dominant team. And games are balanced between changing things mid-match or being confident in your approach.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Chelsea have been getting one of their players to tell my DC that he should sign for Chelsea after basically every game for the last 6 months.

Including after we beat them 1-3 at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League Semi-Final.

Dudes, gently caress off.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I am playing as Parma in 2032, competing for the Serie A title and hoping to finally win the CL.

I have just purchased a 16-year old wonderkid who has incredible attributes and would be a legitimately decent squad player if not starter.

However, I feel extremely weird about the prospect of playing a 16-year old in a top division. Is there a risk of me breaking him or his lack of maturity somehow screwing him up?

He's not even almost 17, it's a half year off, but Barca just came in for my starter in his position with an offer I couldn't refuse, so he could become a legit rotation option.

e: Playing FM 21.

csidle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 6, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

csidle posted:

I am playing as Parma in 2032, competing for the Serie A title and hoping to finally win the CL.

I have just purchased a 16-year old wonderkid who has incredible attributes and would be a legitimately decent squad player if not starter.

However, I feel extremely weird about the prospect of playing a 16-year old in a top division. Is there a risk of me breaking him or his lack of maturity somehow screwing him up?

He's not even almost 17, it's a half year off, but Barca just came in for my starter in his position with an offer I couldn't refuse, so he could become a legit rotation option.

I've been told that managers have to be really careful about teenagers being in the top flight, but more experienced people should ask. I was watching an LP of Out of the Park Baseball, the sister franchise to this game, and we had a situation where the LPer had to keep a player that was not ready at all for the Major Leagues on his team. He couldn't send him to AAA (the top development league) because then he would go back to the team that had originally drafted him. He also had to play him because MLB rosters are small and he had to occasionally cover for tired full-time players. It actually worked out very well as the player now looks like a very, very good hitter, but he easily could have struggled and had his moral destroyed from playing against too good of competition.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It probably depends if you're going to keep him long-term. If you think he'll be with you for the rest of his career, or if you care about 'looking after a player', I'd give him as much game time as you have to but less than you can.
Getting some first-team football can be helpful in developing a young player, but I think it can harm Natural Fitness, particularly towards the end of their career.

On a different note, my DC just had a 24-goal season.

Near-post corners are so busted.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

csidle posted:

throw him into the meat grinder - by age 22 you'll find a newer younger hotter better looking prospect in the bosnian 3rd division

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you build his reputation up too high while he's still very young PSG will target him. Slow and steady development until the wonderkid shine wears off.

Teenage players still get a large % of their development from training time, so a full schedule in a busy first team environment isn't always ideal. There is a limit to how fast attributes can increase so forcing a kid to play 30+ games in Serie A may not do anything more than a few cameos and the rest of the season playing once a week for the u21s with plenty of uninterrupted training days. They can get jaded from too many games but that's not unique to very young players, and can be managed.

FM doesn't really model immaturity/inexperience properly, and many regens will have better personalities than hardened pros. Really there should be an upper limit to how Professional any kid can be, which would be improved upon over time by learning from players and coaches. In FM it's a greater concern that your senior players will ruin the 16 year old Perfectionist you just bought, rather than teach them.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

csidle posted:

a few seasons back i had a ridiculously talented CM come through the youth academy, i just started playing him straight away and he was the best midfielder in the world by 22. he didnt get poached by PSG (or to be more accurate, nantes, who are basically PSG 2 in my save) but he was also a supporter of the team, so maybe thats why he never left

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The trick is to fill your first team with a bunch of Unambitious senior players, which quickly kills off your wonderkids' desire to search for a better job.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

The trick is to fill your first team with a bunch of Unambitious senior players, which quickly kills off your wonderkids' desire to search for a better job.

Isn't unambitious also a great way to never actually develop? I tend to avoid it like the plague when stealing all the best kids during regen week.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't Zealand do a big test where he decided that determination and ambition do gently caress all for development? It was all based on like professionalism for reaching potential and sportsmanship for getting awards

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Isn't unambitious also a great way to never actually develop? I tend to avoid it like the plague when stealing all the best kids during regen week.

Low Ambition on its own shouldn't kill off a player's development rate. How hard a player works is (intended to be) a combination of Ambition, Loyalty and Professionalism, with the latter the biggest contributor.

Ideally you want a group with high Professionalism & Loyalty (work hard for you, work smart, want to stay) and low Ambition and Adaptability (don't want to move to higher reputation clubs, don't want to move to foreign leagues, retire early when attributes start declining).

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Low Ambition on its own shouldn't kill off a player's development rate. How hard a player works is (intended to be) a combination of Ambition, Loyalty and Professionalism, with the latter the biggest contributor.

Ideally you want a group with high Professionalism & Loyalty (work hard for you, work smart, want to stay) and low Ambition and Adaptability (don't want to move to higher reputation clubs, don't want to move to foreign leagues, retire early when attributes start declining).

Yeah professionalism is always king for me. I'm absolutely into low sportsmanship and don't know why it's a negative. Happy to cheat my way to extra points! Low ambition in a scout report doesn't put me off but unambitious as a personality always leads to disappointment. Maybe that's just because it signifies they don't have any other stats high enough to overrule the low ambition and give them a positive personality despite it?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Masonity posted:

Yeah professionalism is always king for me. I'm absolutely into low sportsmanship and don't know why it's a negative. Happy to cheat my way to extra points! Low ambition in a scout report doesn't put me off but unambitious as a personality always leads to disappointment. Maybe that's just because it signifies they don't have any other stats high enough to overrule the low ambition and give them a positive personality despite it?

It's this, unambitious means professionalism, determination and pressure are also all under 10 iirc

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just scored three penalties in the first 15 minutes of a cup game against Swansea.

They'll have not wanted to give those away imo.

Easiest hat-trick ever though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
First impressions from the 23 beta now that it's out. Scouting is a lot easier and more rewarding. I think the squad planner is cool but I don't get into the weeds enough that I'll really use it much. Match engine seems about the same but there's a lot more randomness in the animations and passes and stuff. Things seem less predetermined. I imagine this is more just on the number and quality of animations added though. I doubt terribly much has changed with the calculations.

Kind of a bummer that international play and managing a national squad seems unchanged. Would've expected them to do a little more with it since the World Cup is about to begin.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

apophenium posted:

Kind of a bummer that international play and managing a national squad seems unchanged. Would've expected them to do a little more with it since the World Cup is about to begin.

Yeah, lots of people really confused about international management still being moribund.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is the scouting any better than just manually scouting all of the national teams?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Just had my ever-present keeper and captain break his ribs in training two days after wrapping up a league win. Good timing, champ, rest up over the summer, we'll cope without you for these two dead rubbers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, lots of people really confused about international management still being moribund.

I'm not sure how you make it good in FM tbh. Months between games where the AI destroys your players for you. How much time do you dedicate to developing systems for a game mode that will probably always be bad/boring? They should be cracking on with women's football and club u21s/u18s manager modes first imo.

I haven't played much of FM23 yet. Agent interactions seem like pointless busywork intended only to create more tantrums.The new scouting looked complicated so I didn't bother interacting with it. Match engine felt pretty bad, I couldn't stop my "brings ball out, short simple passes" centre half from smashing long diagonals to no one.

Sure it's fine though.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure how you make it good in FM tbh. Months between games where the AI destroys your players for you. How much time do you dedicate to developing systems for a game mode that will probably always be bad/boring?

The issue is you get into a self fufilling prophecy with that. International Games bad so no one plays it thus there's no incentive for it to get better and so on.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
What difference does Incentive To Do X make if X is fundamentally impossible?

International football is hugely important to fans, everyone dreams of getting their obscure country a world cup, there is absolutely already incentive to make it good. The problem is that, as a game mode within FM and its simulation, it's always going to have the problems sass points out: the nine-plus months a year where basically all you have to do is - what, scout players basically? Answer endless press conferences speculating about your next tournament or squad selection? Picking league games for you and your staff to watch prospects in?

How do you make that fun?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 20, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LionYeti posted:

The issue is you get into a self fufilling prophecy with that. International Games bad so no one plays it thus there's no incentive for it to get better and so on.

It's not bad because no one plays it or because no effort has been put in, it's bad because FM is fundamentally a game about managing a football club day-to-day, week to week, and international management is a part time job where you play and train 6-8 weeks of the year and big tournaments are special occasions. You don't scout beyond a limited established pool. You don't do transfers or negotiate contracts. You don't build tactical familiarity or develop players. It's an empty experience mostly because the job is empty compared to club management.

What could you add to FM to make it exciting in the months where you have no games? You can already attend matches to "scout" your players. More press conferences and media events?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
yeah, it's only even vaguely tolerable if you're doing it as a secondary coaching job, not "I'm going to start a save as the Faroe Isles national manager, this is gonna be exciting!"

I also wish they'd get off their high horse about :airquote: realism :airquote: and let all the dynamic things be actually dynamic in the timescale people usually play in. Who cares if its not realistic that Malta suddenly becomes the world's premiere source of football talent? Same thing with women for that matter, let us have mixed leagues, gimme a startup checkbox

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
OOTP is doing just fine and I made a barehanded baseball league on the moon in 1980.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Oh poo poo, Virgil van Dijk is managing Middlesbrough in my game (with some darn good stats).

And he's scouting my kickass young LW/AM. :ohdear:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Seen a lot of talk about Haaland being insane on the Beta.

However Ronaldo has 8 goals in 3 games (2 hattricks). FM will never learn.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EvilHawk posted:

However Ronaldo has 8 goals in 3 games (2 hattricks). FM will never learn.

His CA is way down from his peak but the way FM works that's still a star player for most of the teams Man Utd play against. I'm actually surprised how low some of Ronny's attributes are.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

My half of the World Cup tree:

Spain, Holland, France, USA, Portugal, Germany, England, Brazil

The other half:

Italy, Senegal, Argentina, Sweden, Norway, Colombia, Russia, Romania

hosed up imo. Italy lost 1-0 to Senegal too, Argentina have no excuse to not get to the final.

e: I beat Brazil 5-0 though, maybe it'll be ok. Dane Scarlett has 52 in 47 for England now

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 22, 2022

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

This is my first FM since 2018-19, so all of this data analysis/hub stuff is pretty new to me and pretty cool to work with. I'm doing a League 2 file (Tranmere Rovers), and I had a reasonable enough start but results started dipping after about 10 games. I noticed that all of my regular midfielders were massively underperforming in tackles/interceptions and luckily one of my fringe youngsters had put in enough minutes from the bench for his ball-winning data to be made available. Now he's starting for me as a 6 in my midfield and results have picked back up. He arrived on a free as a playmaking central European fancy dan but I've quickly turned him into a proper shitclogger.

Anyway, I'd have never been able to spot something like that in previous games, so I'm really pleased with the whole thing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

that literally might be the first instance of anyone ever coming to a reasonable outcome from the data hub stuff -

because literally anytime anyone ever asks "okay so this data is good and all, but what can i do with all this fancy data" is typically met with ????????

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I have successfully used it to the same effect. I had a deep playmaker with fair to decent attributes that was eventually meant to be replaced by a couple of marquee signings. Over the next few seasons I kept finding that the team just played better when he, rather than the high profile signings, played. In the end, I saw that he had more interceptions and significantly more key passes per game than any other midfielder playing in the same role. For whatever reason, this continued to be the case.

I’ve also used stats re: heading and tackles to find centre backs on low budgets and when I haven’t had time to properly scout.

I haven’t used the data hub though, I’ve been playing ‘21, so I’m excited to try it in 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Playing the fm23 beta and I've noticed that I seem to have way more clear cut chances showing in the player stats screen ("clear cut chances created") post-game than on the match stats screen ("clear cut chances")

I played fm21 before this and never saw this occur. Has something changed/am I missing something? Or is this a bug?

For example, game I played just now showed 3 clear cut chances for my team on the match stats screen but 8(!) on the player stats screen. Most of my games in fm21 had 1-2 clear cut chances so 8 seems crazy, especially as i was playing against a similar ability opposition - Benfica v Porto.