Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Count Thrashula posted:

I've been doing some 1/600 ships (the sail kind) and having a lot of fun, but I'm having trouble finding good methods for doing ratlines and furled sails and stuff. The thing I both love and hate about ship modeling is how scratch built a lot of it is.

These ships are small enough that I can 3d print the hulls and masts etc, but where would I start if I wanted to get into wooden ship models?

Hope you have lots of time...

modelshipworld.com

If you want to see what's involved step by step in building a 1/48 scale wooden ship (fairly small sloop), I have a build thread on here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944859

All of that's also in this thread somewhere, but good luck finding it, so I consolidated it into that thread which is probably in the archives by now, I'm not sure how to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
I recently decided to return to model building after a 20 year break with a wooden ship kit too. I bought a three ship set that is designed to slowly ramp up the complexity. I've got a build log going on modelshipworld for the first of the boats here. My hobby time is limited so progress has been very slow and my skills are no where near as good as most in this thread or on that forum, but I'm having fun.

A couple of photos of the progress so far:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

anchorite posted:

I recently decided to return to model building after a 20 year break with a wooden ship kit too. I bought a three ship set that is designed to slowly ramp up the complexity. I've got a build log going on modelshipworld for the first of the boats here. My hobby time is limited so progress has been very slow and my skills are no where near as good as most in this thread or on that forum, but I'm having fun.

A couple of photos of the progress so far:

Very cool. I haven't been keeping up with MSW or really doing any ship stuff for a fairly long time. Just busy with other stuff in life, but always cool to see this sort of stuff.

The dory is a neat model and I've seen some guys do logs on that kit with great results. What are the other two kits in that set?

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009

The Locator posted:

What are the other two kits in that set?

The other two are the Norwegian Sailing Pram and the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

anchorite posted:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack.

I refuse to believe this is a legitimate combination of words for a boat and not some perverted - probably illegal - sex move.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I knew a guy whose life was ruined on muscongous bay lobster smack.

...so sad...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

I've been doing some 1/600 ships (the sail kind) and having a lot of fun, but I'm having trouble finding good methods for doing ratlines and furled sails and stuff. The thing I both love and hate about ship modeling is how scratch built a lot of it is.

These ships are small enough that I can 3d print the hulls and masts etc, but where would I start if I wanted to get into wooden ship models?

For getting into wooden models these days, I highly recommend Vanguard Models. I've not personally made any of his kits, but I've followed multiple build logs as well as the development of the kits and he has a number of different non-warship 'beginner' targeted kits that look amazing, use very high quality woods and using only the stuff in the box make into beautiful models.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/vanguard-model-kits/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Locator posted:

For getting into wooden models these days, I highly recommend Vanguard Models. I've not personally made any of his kits, but I've followed multiple build logs as well as the development of the kits and he has a number of different non-warship 'beginner' targeted kits that look amazing, use very high quality woods and using only the stuff in the box make into beautiful models.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/vanguard-model-kits/

Mama Mia those are pricy! Gorgeous though. That HMS Sphinx is so good

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Chris Watton makes wonderful ships as mentioned above, would definitely be great.

But I am going to give some advice that might seem slightly unorthodox. I would start with wooden ship kits that you can finish in a weekend or a week.

This is a great one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3542864752...ABk9SR5rPvKP3YA

Unfortunately Midwest doesn't make them anymore, hence having to go through ebay.

The Midwest entry level kits you can do and get a real feel for the wood part of the hobby and learn the basics. A Vanguard model is a project that is likely going to take 6 months to years, depending on how much time you can devote to it. I would expect 400-500 hours would not be unreasonable.

After you knock out the Midwest Dinghy, which does not have a lot of bending or planks, try out the canoe, which has a little bit of that.

Canoe: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2347253691...%3ABFBM1LHVo_dg

Or if you don't want to do a canoe this would be about the same difficulty: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2347253634...%3ABFBMms-8o_dg

After you do those two, which you could conceivably get knocked out in a month, I would recommend doing a small ship with limited amount of gunports. You could do a cross section model which can be fun because you don't have to struggle with planking as much, and you get a good feel for the material. I would recommend doing a smaller kit from Occre, don't spend more than 300 on the kit, and make sure what you get is double planked. Double planked *sounds* more difficult and like more work than single plank, but that is not the case. A single planked model only gets one set of planks around it to make the skin, so it must be perfect and any imperfection is obvious and noticeable and you will hate it. A double planked model gets a second skin of planks around the first skin and is much, much, much easier to get to look good. I think the Corsais or Chebeck (Jabeque Cazador) would be good models, but Occre probably has some others that would work.

Here is a link to Occre's instructions. Take a look at them and they can give you a feel for the challenge. If you are serious about model ships you could do these first 3 and have the skill/experience you need for that big ship you really want to do in about 6 months. If you start with that big ship there is a high probability of hitting a problem and stalling out, especially if you make a mistake early in construction and you don't catch it.

https://occre.com/en/pages/instrucciones

I have too many loving unfinished model ships in my house.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

True but if it takes you months to a year to finish, is it really a bad time/entertainment value? That's kind of how I look at it. I spent a LOT of money on stuff for my sloop, but I think it took 1500+ hours of time to build, so spread out over that it was far less than a dollar an hour even with all the extra stuff I bought for it (not including dumb tools and the workshop stuff).

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Chris Watton makes wonderful ships as mentioned above, would definitely be great.

But I am going to give some advice that might seem slightly unorthodox. I would start with wooden ship kits that you can finish in a weekend or a week.

Solid advice. I used to suggest Midwest kits but since they stopped making them I stopped recommending. Good that they are still out there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

This is more what I would suggest as a starter kit from Vanguard if you don't want to do a small boat like IncredibleIgloo suggested:

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/nisha-brixham-mumble-bee/

Depending on the style you like he has several kits like this targeted more at the beginner level modeler.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of model boats, Model Expo is having a big sale right now. Some pretty crazy prices on model boats, as well as other types of kits.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have some 1/600 ironclads to finish up but then I might try my hand at the dinghy

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What a wonderful world.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Not my best interior. Not my best wood grain effect either. But not my worst interior by far. Tamiya 1969 Skyline 2000 GT-R. Lots of bare metal foil was used on the door panels. I'm not sure it was a good idea to use gloss black to simulate leather seats. It looks a little too fake. Oh well.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

FPyat posted:

What a wonderful world.

So how much of it is complaining about the lack of swastikas being supplied with German plane models from people who for some reason only build German plane models?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Charliegrs posted:

Not my best interior. Not my best wood grain effect either. But not my worst interior by far. Tamiya 1969 Skyline 2000 GT-R. Lots of bare metal foil was used on the door panels. I'm not sure it was a good idea to use gloss black to simulate leather seats. It looks a little too fake. Oh well.

Try some crackle medium on the leather?

Or don’t it could make it worst.

FPyat posted:

What a wonderful world.

It’s about swastikas isn’t it?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yes. Because it being illegal in some countries (notably Germany, for some reason no doubt due to political correctness) to sell anything with a swastika.

"BuT MaH MeSsErScHmItTs!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’ve never seen a German kit without some angled black lines on the decal sheet that someone with an IQ higher than a rock can use to make the missing swastikas

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Get a mask cutter and print all the swastikas you want.

I'm not going to watch the cancel culture video. History happened; people are lovely. Whitewash history and it'll happen all over again.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There was a thread on Britmodeller the other day where a guy had built two ww2 soviet fighters. He explained that because of the Ukrainian war he no longer built models with soviet markings, and the first one had ahistorical Ukrainian roundels instead.
The second one was a captured example in full third reich markings.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s some galaxy brain poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Model companies shouldn't provide swastikas in their model kits, but rather the twin crosses of Tomainia :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Get a mask cutter and print all the swastikas you want.

I'm not going to watch the cancel culture video. History happened; people are lovely. Whitewash history and it'll happen all over again.

Will? It's loving happening right now.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And, besides the cut down the middle swastika parts or the arms and center piece swastikas, you can also just buy decal sheets with nothing but swastikas for various planes and years of the war.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Wolfenstein barred Ws, preferably on burned-out hulks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’ve never seen a German kit without some angled black lines on the decal sheet that someone with an IQ higher than a rock can use to make the missing swastikas

You're asking a lot of those who are upset about that sort of logo not being sold directly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Even the modelers that want to stick to complete historical realism generally leave out the swastika. In the numerous modeling books and mags I have, I think I've only ever seen one blatant swastika on a model, and it was a model the dude built in like the 70's or 80's or something. Most kits even eliminate the swastika from the the DAK logo, even though it's practically microscopic on 1/35 vehicles.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Best stop buying model kits now. None of the 80’s race cars I want to build don’t come with tobacco decals in the box.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Raskolnikov38 posted:

None of Revell's kits include them (Considering they're a German company and all) and naval flags have a white circle instead. There are Revell kits with swastikas sold though, but they're all Finnish craft and based on the text on the box were only released in Finland:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04379-brewster-b-239--147774

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04382-curtiss-hawk-75a--334264

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04183-hawker-hurricane-mk-iib--945785

As said before it's always the people who only build German vehicles and nothing else that seem to be the most vocal about this. Personally I don't build much in terms of German WW2 stuff but I never felt it needed any swastikas.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I wish I could find the pics, but I remember seeing this discussion play out on a fb model group a couple of years ago.

An 'armour modeller' posted some pics of his completed kits - glass cases full of large scale (1/16ish) german-only tanks, but then also some photos of the rest of his model cave which included replica german uniforms hanging on the walls (and photos of him taking mirror selfies wearing half a dozen different uniforms), weapons, full-size swastika flags and what I could only describe as an SS shrine which involved several daggers and other items arranged around a totenkopf.

Almost every single modeler in the thread didn't see an issue with any of this, claiming the guy must just be a military history enthusiast and anyone complaining or pointing out the dude is a textbook neo nazi is just a woke, politically correct baby trying to censor history.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcBTTL9_bgI&t=216s

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I used to play wargames with a guy whose whiose gaming room was covered in SS division flags, and he had a tattoo of the guy from the cover of the Up Front board game (an SS officer). It all added up to make me feel really uncomfortable.

The guy runs a pretty well known Advanced Squad Leader online store too

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I used to get some strange looks from my gun collection. I collected tons of historical firearms over the years including lots of German guns (among lots of US, Russian, British, and a few Japanese examples too). I can unequivocally say that I'm not a Nazi fetishist by even the slimmest margin, but I inevitably had to field questions about my interest in Nazi firearms.

It boiled down to me that there are people that are interested in connecting with the history of a gun (or model, or other artifact) and there are those who fetishize the ideals behind them. I fall into the former category. Guys who get tattoos of SS officers probably fall into the latter.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Personally, I think the four angled line decals (I call them notstikas) are silly. Either put the right decal on there, put something else there, or leave it empty. Having something that's obviously a bowdlerized swastika is like the worst of all worlds. It evokes the ideas behind the symbol while defeating the purpose of bothering at all.

Also, I'm gonna be suspicious of anybody who has nothing but German hardware regardless of iconography. I'm not gonna be suspicious of someone who has a full spread of models with accurate insignias on the German stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A decent proportion of my stuff is German, although I only try to build dioramas of broken/destroyed vehicles now. I've never put a swastika on anything. There was a DAK Panzer IV wreck I built once, but the swastika is covered with some carefully applied chipping and grime.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Personally, I think the four angled line decals (I call them notstikas) are silly. Either put the right decal on there, put something else there, or leave it empty. Having something that's obviously a bowdlerized swastika is like the worst of all worlds. It evokes the ideas behind the symbol while defeating the purpose of bothering at all.

To be fair I don't think they're ever actually abstract representations of swastikas - certainly I've never seen that approach anyway. I've seen the boxart with weird not-swastikas, white circles/black diamonds etc but either they straight up just don't include the swastika on the decal sheet (Revell) or they include all the relevant separate decals to construct the swastika yourself, enough that it can legally be sold in Germany, Austria and other countries with laws against the representation of swastikas. I've seen some kits (Eduard maybe?) that have a small extra decal sheet taped to the main one with the swastikas on them that they can presumably not include in kits bound for certain countries.

I don't for a minute think any companies are refusing to put them on decal sheets as a moral stance or because they think doing so would be promoting neo-nazism, it's purely a commercial decision because including them would limit the markets their kits can be sold in.

I can't say I'm particularly interested in building german ww2 subjects, but those that do pique my interest tend to be luft46 stuff, maybe because those never actually existed and so weren't used in combat - not sure.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also, I'm gonna be suspicious of anybody who has nothing but German hardware regardless of iconography. I'm not gonna be suspicious of someone who has a full spread of models with accurate insignias on the German stuff.

Are you talking about the iron cross? Because that's not a "notsika" it's a German military symbol that predates the Nazi regime and is still in use today on German military aircraft.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
No, there's this halfway thing some of the military decal people do where they'll take a swastika and break it apart at the "elbow" of each arm, and to complete it you have to apply the cross bit in the center yourself. Number 22 and 23 in this sheet. It's ostensibly to comply with anti-swastika laws, but it's very much a legalistic I'm-not-touching-you sort of approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've seen kits that came with, for lack of a better word, just the forearms, 23, without the cross part, 22, or anything that can construct it without cutting up individual decals. It's possible I just missed/lost/was missing the cross parts, but that was what I meant by notstikas.