Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I am completely confused here, I have a side quest to find a missing person and persuade them to come home, I found a ship along with a distress beacon, interacted with the beacon but I don't know what to do here?

Interacting with the ship here doesn't do anything except bring its inventory up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I am completely confused here, I have a side quest to find a missing person and persuade them to come home, I found a ship along with a distress beacon, interacted with the beacon but I don't know what to do here?

Interacting with the ship here doesn't do anything except bring its inventory up.

It's very possible that it's bugged, I think there's always meant to be an NPC there as well. If it's just a random side mission, usually you can abandon it and take another one like it and it'll fix itself or send you to a slightly different location instead.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I picked it up from an npc on the nearby space station, so I am assuming it's a procedurally generated quest that broke itself. I'll abandon it for now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Another bug I've found (on PS4): You can't craft multiple items at once anymore. The UI still tells you to use L or R to change stack size when crafting, but pressing the buttons doesn't do anything. You'll here the sound, but the number of items crafted remains at 1.

(I'm also fairly sure your entire tech slot inventory breaking all at once when galaxy jumping isn't intended, but since hazard protection, shield and life support, aka the things you absolutely need to survive, still work after a galaxy jump, I'm fearing it's not a bug.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I bought this last night on steam and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. It's one of the most fascinating games in a long time though. Going from the surface to space and vice versa is super impressive. Currently going through the tutorial and got myself a hyperspace drive.

I'm so excited for you for real. The game is still quite jank but my goodness there's so much stuff in it now. Advice - be a bit picky where you put down your first 'real' base. Stay on a planet for at least a few minutes before you decide. Sometimes it turns out there are superheated rainstorms or everything gets incredibly poisonous for minutes at a time. I mean - unless that's what you're into, what with property prices these days :D

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I am enjoying it a great deal but I also keep running into game-stopping bugs, the latest being that using the photo mode will hard crash the game. So I can't do 'take a photo' quests either.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ugh. Sometimes big updates do break stuff but they are generally pretty quick to patch so with luck it won't take long.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

As a new player, should I just ignore the frigate stuff until I have more cash? It seems ridiculously expensive to get together a fleet to run those farmville missions.

I did manage to find a planet littered with gravitino balls, at least. Love to imagine my dude running around with a precarious tower of orbs in their arms getting chased by the space robocops.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vitamean posted:

As a new player, should I just ignore the frigate stuff until I have more cash? It seems ridiculously expensive to get together a fleet to run those farmville missions.

I did manage to find a planet littered with gravitino balls, at least. Love to imagine my dude running around with a precarious tower of orbs in their arms getting chased by the space robocops.

Honestly there's so much in the game, I'd say ignore whatever you don't find super exciting until you run out of other stuff. Engage with it when you feel like it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HopperUK posted:

Honestly there's so much in the game, I'd say ignore whatever you don't find super exciting until you run out of other stuff. Engage with it when you feel like it.

This, yeah, but frigates are definitely worth it later on; you just need to craft fuel for them, and you send them off on different types of missions that take real-world time, and then you reap the rewards, usually a ton of units and rarer materials. And salvaged frigate modules, that you need to unlock stuff for your freighter. You can also get those units from nexus missions.

Eventually, you might always want frigates on missions. I know I do. It's a once-a-play-session, set it and forget it deal.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

LtK posted:

Have any of these updates added HOTAS support?

Hotas for ships have been in-game from day 1 I think? The cockpit controls in-game are modeled right after the thrust master stick that's available for ps and Xbox. It's not good or that useful tho. Or maybe I'm just dreaming it and steam overlay just does the job of setting up the controls for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ughhhh posted:

Hotas for ships have been in-game from day 1 I think? The cockpit controls in-game are modeled right after the thrust master stick that's available for ps and Xbox. It's not good or that useful tho. Or maybe I'm just dreaming it and steam overlay just does the job of setting up the controls for me.

NMS is kind of Opposite-Elite for me, in Elite I tend to spend most of my time in ships (and therefore have a joystick) and in NMS I spend most of my time on the ground, walking (and so I prefer my trusty old PS4-controllers).

I'm having a hard time imagining someone having fun while moving their spaceman around with a hotas, but ymmv

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Libluini posted:

NMS is kind of Opposite-Elite for me, in Elite I tend to spend most of my time in ships (and therefore have a joystick) and in NMS I spend most of my time on the ground, walking (and so I prefer my trusty old PS4-controllers).

I'm having a hard time imagining someone having fun while moving their spaceman around with a hotas, but ymmv

I have a HOTAS and a wireless Xbox controller, so it’d be nice if NMS had true HOTAS support and I could just pick up my controller when out of a ship.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shockeh posted:

Woah, ship slots are *expensive*.

75 Mil a slot, and I need a bunch of Tech Slots. Updates to NMS Save Editors when?
Get thee gas extraction bases (ideally at least one for every gas type) + greenhouses full of cactus, mold, faecium and star bulb. Use freighter cultivation rooms so that you can passively farm carbon to turn into condensed carbon. Use nanites to research as many crafting components as possible. I think that’s all you need to start churning out hellish amounts of valuable components of stasis generators if not actual stasis generators. Watch the economy break.

Or if that’s too much building and waiting, you can always scratch up enough money to to buy local goods, slap an economy scanner on your ship, and play space trader. For this you will need a phone to look up what different economy symbols mean.

Or you could trawl pirate systems until freighters warp in and then steal all their poo poo - sentinel craft don’t spawn in pirate systems (or they didn’t, at least) and pirate system cargo does big numbers just about everywhere.

The farm method has a lot of upfront work (counting the nanite gathering for learning all components + mining you’ll need to do to cover initial planting costs) but once you get it in you’ll have hundreds of millions of credits for 10-15 minutes of work every day. Everything else takes more work… but is also potentially more fun to actually earn

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 9, 2022

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
been playing for a couple days. exploring the lonely expanse of space planets is pretty cool imo. however i've been to three planets and although everything is 'uniquely' procgen, they do all feel samey. some terrain, some plants, some rocks, some peaceful creatures. nothing really strange or unusual yet. im still in the extended tutorial so tahts fine but if the planets all feel this way then.... idk man 

oh yeah the UI is like, definitely made a for a controller. awful PC controls. what a shame

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jinnigan posted:

been playing for a couple days. exploring the lonely expanse of space planets is pretty cool imo. however i've been to three planets and although everything is 'uniquely' procgen, they do all feel samey. some terrain, some plants, some rocks, some peaceful creatures. nothing really strange or unusual yet. im still in the extended tutorial so tahts fine but if the planets all feel this way then.... idk man 

Yeah, that doesn't change. Most of us just got used to it but if that's a dealbreaker for you then be aware. There's occasional weird planets, especially when you get to green/blue stars, but not as a rule.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Another minor pet peeve is that this game is somehow ignoring VRR. My display's built-in UI says it's enabled and it even shows the framerate and refresh corresponding with each other, but the game has some screen-tearing near the bottom. It's not the end of the world but I don't like seeing legacy graphical glitches that have been a solved problem in every other game for nearly a decade at this point.

I think all the good things outweigh the cons for sure, but for a game that came out six years ago it is rather janky and unfinished-feeling.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, that doesn't change. Most of us just got used to it but if that's a dealbreaker for you then be aware. There's occasional weird planets, especially when you get to green/blue stars, but not as a rule.

You're right that it gets samey decently quickly BUT for a new player who hasn't closely followed the updates I'm willing to bet there are still a few surprises. The flora/fauna will def diverge more than they've seen in their first system and there are special rarer planet types with more dramatic land masses they added in Origins I wanna say? Super high mountains, etc etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Do we have any reports on how the Switch version *actually* runs?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I will say as someone whose started and restarted the game three times now, I've made it the farthest I've ever gotten on the Artemis path and seem some cool stuff including one glitch planet, but it is mostly the same terrain and stuff. Worst it's gotten for me is when I jumped between four different systems and landed on one planet each, with each planet having these big flying animals with butterfly wings and long tails.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Do we have any reports on how the Switch version *actually* runs?

heard it's a solid 30fps with dynamic resolution, getting a bit blurry when there is a lot going on

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marktheando posted:

heard it's a solid 30fps with dynamic resolution, getting a bit blurry when there is a lot going on

And if you really want settlements, don't bother with that version. Other than that, pretty much feature complete.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Impressive. Sounds like they knew what they were coding for then. I've seen so many ports that failed at doing that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Impressive. Sounds like they knew what they were coding for then. I've seen so many ports that failed at doing that.

That, and they recently (like 6-ish months ago) upgraded the game under the hood to be super optimized for even onboard video cards. I guess it was mostly that that really pushed along Switch development, OR Switch development led to their super optimizations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

people are still angry, sending hello games abuse and review bombing the game. I'm honestly not bothered about not being able to have 6 upgrades at once any more, but apparently i'm in the minority.

i've also seen a few posts saying that having the option to adjust the difficulty and get things for free cheapens their experience, which baffles me. just don't do it if you don't want.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

marktheando posted:

people are still angry, sending hello games abuse and review bombing the game. I'm honestly not bothered about not being able to have 6 upgrades at once any more, but apparently i'm in the minority.

i've also seen a few posts saying that having the option to adjust the difficulty and get things for free cheapens their experience, which baffles me. just don't do it if you don't want.

It's definitely weird to see, especially when all those people are talking about their 500+ hours being stolen from them and made completely worthless. I guess I don't understand why it's a huge deal in a game like this, are these people just stone-faced grinding away at all their upgrades with no enjoyment, until everything is finally maxed out and they can play the game? Especially when it comes to combat upgrades or hyperdrive distance since all those things are pretty basic anyway. Maybe now it'll take a bit longer to travel between systems on the way to the centre, but it's all just randomly generated planets anyway so it's not like they're missing much by losing that 20%.

The difficulty slider complaints seem insane, there's always someone out there who loves to police how everyone else plays their games though. Personally I'm excited to play a harder survival-focused game for a while because I always enjoy that early on, but when that gets tedious I can tweak whatever I want and keep it fun! It's a great change.

I'm curious what the HG response in later patches will be (maybe nothing) but I wouldn't be surprised if it dies down. Every update that changed something major has had HUGE backlash all over Reddit/Twitter or wherever people get mad, and then people got over it every time. This is such a minor thing compared to when planet generation and biomes were just completely altered across the entire game, people got over their nice lush planet bases being transformed into toxic hellscapes. But you'd never have thought that was possible at the time from the response.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 10, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, I admit when I first fired the game up after the update I was horrified when I saw my inventories and the mess because I didn't know that tech was being expanded to 60 for everything so it looked like I'd lost a load of space and would have to make sacrifices about what I could install.
Now however, I love the update, 60 tech is great! I've got stuff installed in my exosuit that I hadn't bothered with before. Sure getting the new slots is a little grindy but I'm doing a little bit at a time and then doing other things in between. 120 cargo slots is great! 500 total storage unit slots is loving fantastic!
The histrionics on Reddit are pretty sad really but not surprising, people be like that unfortunately. I hope Sean and the team don't take the bile being spewed at them to heart, I hope this will settle down soon enough and the people having tanty's over it will either walk away or come to realise that they haven't lost very much after all and the game hasn't changed that significantly and is actually better in some respects.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
There's already like 3-4 different mods that add the slots back. Unless they're on console, they can just mod in the ability to use cargo tech slots without having to cheat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean a large part of the "this doesn't make sense" thing to me is that HG went out of their way to add a bunch of "you don't like grinding and just want to gently caress around? turn off the cost of items and buy everything, who cares? we don't!" and simulataneously arguably made the worst nerf to something that's the most obvious "I can feel how much worse this is now" aspect of the game-- specifically, the jetpack (and the corresponding sprint duration/recharge). Everything else can be kind of handwaved or worked around but "getting 6 upgrades for your jetpack" is (well, was) the bar-none biggest QoL upgrade for basically every aspect of the game most people interact with so yeah, it's not too surprising that people are salty when you're suddenly not able to do things like "fly from one side of the space station to the other" or "make it from this one point in the anomaly to the other" when you previously could with tons of jet fuel to spare.

It's exceptionally unfortunate that an otherwise pretty decent QoL update's being overshadowed by a frankly-really-odd design decision in an otherwise laid back game, tbh.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's exceptionally unfortunate that an otherwise pretty decent QoL update's being overshadowed by a frankly-really-odd design decision in an otherwise laid back game, tbh.

I was wondering about this with the jetpack, there was a specific part in the patch notes saying movement upgrades for the jetpack have been made more powerful. I'd be surprised if it was equivalent to the old 6x upgrades but maybe it still gets close.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I have about 4-5h playtime total so far and I found a mod? perk? thingy for the jetpack that when installed it nearly tripled the amount of time before it ran out. So I can imagine there's even better out there.
I found some sort of cheese where if I use the jetpack in the middle of meleeing, it launches me across the map, so that's nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have about 4-5h playtime total so far and I found a mod? perk? thingy for the jetpack that when installed it nearly tripled the amount of time before it ran out. So I can imagine there's even better out there.
I found some sort of cheese where if I use the jetpack in the middle of meleeing, it launches me across the map, so that's nice.

Yeah that's a trick folk have used to zip across the map faster. Sounds like it still works! Hooray.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Playing a bit post-patch my multitool definitely destroys things faster, movement seems basically the same even though I now have three uninstalled black market techs, and my spaceship is utterly melting pirates.

The inventory feels a lot more cluttered though and I find looking for things harder than when it was on two separate tabs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not a fan of how the tech inventory is first, you'd be more likely to mess around with the normal inventory anyway.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Toast King posted:

I was wondering about this with the jetpack, there was a specific part in the patch notes saying movement upgrades for the jetpack have been made more powerful. I'd be surprised if it was equivalent to the old 6x upgrades but maybe it still gets close.

I still have to sit down and hunt up some fresh jetpack mods, the stats seemed in a numerically identical ballpark on the ones I already had so I'm not sure if this patch note was a missed thing or a "fresh ones only" kind of thing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah this has been one of the most popular and useful 'glitches/exploits' in the game and HG will suffer a tsunami of anger online if they ever patch it out. Not that I think they SHOULD suffer that, but gamers.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So I started a new game this weekend after a few years away, and is it normal now to get my first freighter without any internal tech? Not even a hyperdrive? I can still summon it from my starship so it's not a huge deal, but I did enjoy jumping to warp on a capital ship.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

So I started a new game this weekend after a few years away, and is it normal now to get my first freighter without any internal tech? Not even a hyperdrive? I can still summon it from my starship so it's not a huge deal, but I did enjoy jumping to warp on a capital ship.

Hahaha I love the image of this. 'Thanks for rescuing us! You can keep this freighter for free, I'm retiring! Bye!' *walks out with the hyperdrive engine in his pocket*

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wyld Karde posted:

Is a hyperdrive even an option to install? Historically the hyperdrive was on the general tab in fresh freighters so I have a sneaking suspicion there was a bit of an oversight there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah this has been one of the most popular and useful 'glitches/exploits' in the game and HG will suffer a tsunami of anger online if they ever patch it out. Not that I think they SHOULD suffer that, but gamers.

They added an animation for it when they added third person mode so I think its no longer a bug but a feature.