Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Discospawn posted:

What's weird about this is how much effort they must have spent creating this environment and it's assets before figuring out the technical & gameplay elements required for it to make sense. Like, the idea of making such an underwater-themed area before you have any evidence that your engine can support it (and make it fun) seems so backwards, but it's also a perfect example of the process that lead to Fallout 76 and it's more bizarre elements like the battle royale mode. The wiki page even had a Todd Howard quote that referenced Vault 120 as being a 'Bioshock-style' vault, and makes me suspect that was the exact wording he used for the task when he gave it to some team years ago.

I don't think it's that bad. Probably the outline called for an underwater Vault, and they got as far as blocking out the quest, making a rough area layout using existing assets (all of the existing assets are from the base game and shared between it and other Vaults, plus the Yangtze), and got hung up on gameplay - notably, a lot of stuff is referenced as temp and any assets unique to the location are placeholders (like the squid window) or blocked out using existing assets (escape pods). It seems it got the axe before they committed to making customized assets for the location.

It feels like a good design pipeline: Get a rough version out and see if it can be fun to navigate and explore, and then verify if the engine can support the unique functionality you want, before you put any more resources towards it. Plus, Bethesda has been working with the engine and its tools for two decades, so getting a location put together from existing assets would take a lot less time than it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do mods work on the MS store version of 76?

e:also welcome Tagaziel, didn't know you posted here

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I didn't think it was possible to mod 76 because of the always-online/GaaS element?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I didn't think it was possible to mod 76 because of the always-online/GaaS element?

It’s mostly interface enhancements, though Bethesda has slowly addressed the worst of the pipboy issues themselves.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Rinkles posted:

It’s mostly interface enhancements, though Bethesda has slowly addressed the worst of the pipboy issues themselves.

Yeah. It's all small stuff. The ones I use make harvestable plants glow, and replace the music on the radio stations.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Rinkles posted:

Haven't tested, but unless there's some major structural changes, it should load just about any ESP fine. I know I used a mesh replacer made by the Dataminers to get assets for my Brotherhood War Manual, and I'm still kicking.

quote:

e:also welcome Tagaziel, didn't know you posted here

Just started, in fact, and honestly, I'm wondering why I didn't do it earlier!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I am using a sneaky sniper setup right now, and I didn't have too much trouble in Ashes to Fire...until the end. I'm in the Chinese Stealth Armor, so the rads weren't an issue, but the glowing trogs spot me despite all the stealth perks, and then they rip me apart in 3 hits. Maybe 4. I can't kill them fast enough, either.

Suggestions?

I'm bummed, because the Daily Ops also have the "like stealth? Sucks to be you!" aspects, too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Grab some mutations and run. The last part of ashes requires no fighting. Just run like hell.

Edit: To elaborate, for the last part of ashes you neither need to talk to Ava Rose again nor fight anything. Just run and pick up the survivors by talking to them and go back to the vertibird.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 10, 2022

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Like FrickenMoron said, I think the glowing trogs aren't meant to be killed, since they have a ton of health and damage output, but a lot of high level players have good enough weapons that they can shoot a couple of them in the head and still grab the survivors.

My QE15R railway rifle main and other character with an auto axe build can both easily kill glowing trogs. My shotgunner which is closer to a "normal" player loadout cannot deal with them and have to run instead.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Kacie posted:

Suggestions?

Jetpack on your main armor (Secret Service or Brotherhood Recon Armor), Marsupial + Speed Demon, and Med-X for the rare occasion that a trog catches up with you. The return to the Trench is, as others said, a race, not a stand-up fight.

Crestfallen Poster
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
Dinosaur Gum
I wear the stealth armor for that bit as well and Blocker + Dodgy (and Serendipity but that might not apply to you) are plenty to mitigate that damage, even with very little DR.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Commando build + decent 3 star The Fixer + blight soup for 125% head shot crit damage can deal with trogs even without stealth bonus damage.

Really just run/jetpack past them. Usually you dont have time to fight them before the npcs die to the rad storm...

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks, much appreciated.

Now I just need to not get completely turned around on the way back...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Kacie posted:

Thanks, much appreciated.

Now I just need to not get completely turned around on the way back...

Got you covered. Basically you want to follow the circles for the survivors from the closest one, it usually brings you near to the start anyways.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
The closest survivor is usually the feeble one that dies in like 60 seconds, so always sprint to the closest first and ignore all trogs until he's saved.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Wow!

That map is great. Thank you.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-lead-designer-ferret-baudoin-has-died/

The guy that did the 2 best quests in Fallout 4 (uss constitution, silver shroud) and took over as lead designer on 76 died.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

USS Constitution is one of my favorite moments in all of FO

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Title is topical again and I just wanted to mention it

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Title is topical again and I just wanted to mention it

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/2Ecl1r5AakxsyEW1XiPbmj/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-upcoming-update-anniversary-events-halloween-and

Halloween scorched coming on tuesday, with a chainsaw skin and a Camp reward for giving out and taking candy. There's also a 14 day Fallout 25th anniversary event on the atomic store with daily free items, claim them all and you get a large prefab bunker for your camp.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I think you have to do more than just claim them. That article says you have to use your claimed daily items to complete challenges in game, and completing enough of the challenges unlocks the prefab building.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
You can get Fallout 76 for free if you have a prime account and live in

quote:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czechia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Phillipines, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Vietnam.

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/fallout76

I haven't played Fallout 76 before, but if this deal was valid in the US I would probably try. :shrug:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Note that this is the windows store version of the game you can't mod.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

acidx posted:

You can get Fallout 76 for free if you have a prime account and live in

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/fallout76

I haven't played Fallout 76 before, but if this deal was valid in the US I would probably try. :shrug:

:confused: It is valid in the US.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

jabro posted:

:confused: It is valid in the US.

Don't mind me, I'm an idiot.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

acidx posted:

Don't mind me, I'm an idiot.

Ape avatar.

Confirmed.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Note that this is the windows store version of the game you can't mod.

This is not true. The store was updated earlier this year to allow access to the folders without jumping through hoops. I have the Steam version but I play with people who use the Store version just fine with mods. The folder structure is, apparently, a bit different but that's just about it.

It's also worth noting that, at least in the early days of the W Store versions, the Custom.ini wasn't called Fallout76Custom.ini, it was, for some weird reason, Project76Custom.ini

Edit: Not sure if this is because of how the Store version works or if there is something else going on but I notice that my friends with the Store version crash a lot lately. Like, you can watch them drop after 30 minutes. On the clock.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 23, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

For an online game like 76 it might not matter since the modding you can do would be very limited but their other games the win store versions are crippled due to the exe being locked down still.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Windows store is already very crippled.

Install forza on the G drive please

Nope, it's on C and you have no storage now, also enjoy using an xbox account! At least you don't have to pay to use online...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What the best way to farm caps? I know that at a certain point it becomes unnecessary but I recently came back and I'm only level 62 or something in base Ultracite with a single legendary (Tesla Rifle, which I weirdly enjoy) and a plain Gauss Rifle for sniping. I have very few plans but I figure the easiest way to aquire them is just buying them.

That plus bouncing all over the map gets expensive after a while, even with Fast Travel perks.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

rickiep00h posted:

What the best way to farm caps? I know that at a certain point it becomes unnecessary but I recently came back and I'm only level 62 or something in base Ultracite with a single legendary (Tesla Rifle, which I weirdly enjoy) and a plain Gauss Rifle for sniping. I have very few plans but I figure the easiest way to aquire them is just buying them.

That plus bouncing all over the map gets expensive after a while, even with Fast Travel perks.

I find doing daily ops can usually net 10 RadAway / 10 Stimpaks plus whatever else and you can make a quick couple hundred caps that way.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

So how far has this game come since launch? Does it feel more like a main series release these days, or still a weird side project?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Best unmodded Fallout experience you can have today. Terrible experience if you have mod brain.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Honestly? Just run West-Tek and pick up everything the muties drop. Sell it to a vendor bot, repeat.

Other then that, do events. Manhunt is a good one, 100 caps every time and on some servers it pops a lot.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It is hard to pin down what makes effective play and keeping up with the curve. Like the game is structured to have a constant drain on your resources, but there's so many compulsive rituals to engage with that if you just do them you'll probably be fine. Levels 50-100 is just kinda figuring out which gameplay loops are required, which ones you like and which ones you can safely disengage with.

But each of these dumb loops are wierd and difficult to describe. Once every 4 or 5 play sessions I will run out of plastic and shotgun shells completely. I know that I need to fast travel to the two highschools to scoop up all the plastic I need. I'm really good at remembering to swap the Ammocrafter perk before I bulk make like 700 shells. I do not know how I came to this ritual, I don't know what I did for plastic before that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have an Ultracite Gatling Laser and I got really frustrated with keeping ammo for it until I figured out that if I equip it for the final boss or final transmitter of a daily op I can score 2-4 Ultracite Fusion Cores per run so now it's pew pew pew yellow lasers all the time.

e: I still prefer my 5mm explosive minigun, it doesn't do as much damage but pulling the trigger into a swarm of approaching ghouls is so drat satisfying. I think it has a +25% fire rate too

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 25, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1584551739977515008?s=20&t=cbbGtfjjbs_thPPWbSZxdA

All your mods will break.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

rickiep00h posted:

Real answer? It's a multiplayer game, use people.

You just gotta run guns! Hop world's, buying cheap poo poo from vendors and selling it on discord servers like market 76. You can dunk on it all you want but I've gotten several trade only weapons for less than 5k caps just from random peoples vendors.

It does require a fair bit of capital though, if you don't have that you'd be best off doing a pve method until you do.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Caps max out at 40,000 anyways, it's not that hard to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So there’s hope for a F76 FPS patch on PS5?