Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is pretty f-ed up. (fishing wire on trails)

We rode trails down in telluride yesterday. The colors were really going off. Snow on the peaks, aspens all yellow. Also got about 1500' of free very from the gondola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Welp someone put up a bunch of fishing wires across a couple trails overnight. I just PRed them yesterday so I guess I’m done riding those ones for the season.

I blame the horse people, just knowing what trail it’s on and the local animosity between the groups but it could just as easily be someone who doesn’t like bikers where they walk their dog in the morning.

:wtc:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Welp someone put up a bunch of fishing wires across a couple trails overnight. I just PRed them yesterday so I guess I’m done riding those ones for the season.

I blame the horse people, just knowing what trail it’s on and the local animosity between the groups but it could just as easily be someone who doesn’t like bikers where the walk their dog in the morning.

Somebody did the same in Nanaimo some years ago. Neck high fishing wire and sharpened stakes on the ground. In North Vancouver they busted a 64 year old lady putting logs and rocks across trails. Psychos.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

People are the worst

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Suburban Dad posted:

People are the worst

evergreen post

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
That's got to be a felony of some kind, right?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ended up riding the local gravity bike park solo this morning after the two guys I was supposed to ride with bailed at the last minute, had a great time and am stoked. My last run was cut short with a flat rear tire, luckily not too far from the road so I was able to get a lift back down with the shuttle bus, but now I've got a very old and dead tire to replace. Cleared a few big jumps I'd normally case due to going too slow, but at the same time I was so scared getting that much speed and air I ended up being very 'dead sailor'.

Felt a little out of place with the 2019 Giant Trance, was nearly wall to wall boutique brands there. Someday I need to go to one of the brand test ride days to see what some other bikes actually feel like to ride, because I've only ever really rode the one bike since starting and I'd have no idea what the differences are.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

marshalljim posted:

sure, just catch them on video/with witnesses and get someone to give a poo poo

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

marshalljim posted:

Definitely. They may/may not get caught but I suspect the local cops will take it fairly seriously given how many of them also ride. There are trail cams at a few points in the area so if we’re lucky they’ll show up on there.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

That is pretty f-ed up. (fishing wire on trails)

We rode trails down in telluride yesterday. The colors were really going off. Snow on the peaks, aspens all yellow. Also got about 1500' of free very from the gondola.

Tride us great, love the trails there. RFV is going off on colors too, but only probably a week more

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Having mild downshifting (upshifting is fine)issues on my deore Ripmo AF. It doesnt click fully into gear sometimes, it wil stick between gears and I need an additional touch on the lever to get it fully into the gear I wanted. Sometimes I catch a double downshift because of it. I cleaned the chain and re-lubed a few weeks ago.

The bike was almost brand new when I bought it, so I am guessing the chain has stretched a little now that I have put 100+ more trail miles on it. Am I correct that the B screw may need a small adjustment?

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Sounds like the shift cable getting bound up inside the housing, possibly due to the cable fraying or some damage/scoring/twisting on the housing. So the “tension on” action (shifting inboard to larger cog) is fine, but the binding up prevents tension from getting released when you go the other way. New shift cable on a new-to-you bike is a good and cheap idea anyway.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Scrapez posted:

New to mountain biking. Looking for a 27.5" hardtail. I've rented both a 27.5 and 29 and the 27.5 just felt more comfortable. Probably because I'm used to a 26" BMX. The 29 just felt huge and hard to flick around.

I have my eye on a Marin San Quentin 2. What's the consensus on it? I like the 65 degree head tube angle as I think I'll be doing a fair bit of downhill runs. I live next to Coler in Bentonville so will be riding there a lot. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It's a good one. There's definitely more aggressive geo hardtails, but since it's gonna be your all-rounder while you get more and more into mtb it's a good choice. The Torrent and Scout are both good options. There's some other good steel options like the honzo esd if you like steel.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Nine times out of ten when I have minor shifting issues the derailleur hanger is bent, cable is good to check though too.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
That exact thing started happening to my new bike about 6 months after I got it. I thought it was a limit screw adjustment thing but that did nothing. I took it to a shop and they couldn’t figure it out either. I rode with it for a year until August I finally got fed up enough and spent a day watching every derailleur troubleshooting video on YouTube. Turns out I had to adjust the chain gap. A couple turns of an allen key and I haven’t had any issues since.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just recently had a problem with chain skipping and it was a bent derailleur hanger

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it's a new bike the cable may have just stretched, put it in the highest gear (smallest cog) and loosen the bolt holding the cable at the derailleur, pull the cable with pliers to get any slack out and retighten the bolt, see if that changes anything. Doesn't sound like a b screw thing in any way to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

If it's a new bike the cable may have just stretched, put it in the highest gear (smallest cog) and loosen the bolt holding the cable at the derailleur, pull the cable with pliers to get any slack out and retighten the bolt, see if that changes anything. Doesn't sound like a b screw thing in any way to me.

This was my thought. Derailleurs are so drat finicky though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VelociBacon posted:

If there’s a tension adjuster, I’d try that first. It’s not too far off if the up shifting is still ok, probably in the range the adjuster can handle. If the adjuster is all the way out, yeah, you’ll want to screw it back in when reclamping the cable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

If there’s a tension adjuster, I’d try that first. It’s not too far off if the up shifting is still ok, probably in the range the adjuster can handle. If the adjuster is all the way out, yeah, you’ll want to screw it back in when reclamping the cable.

Yeah I just find telling people to start adjusting the barrel adjusters if they aren't familiar with this kind of thing just gives them more headaches. If there's actually slack in the cable you can take it up that way of course but you could also remove and snip off 0.3mm of cable and get the weight savings!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I did a couple half turns on my shift cable adjuster, that helped some but still didnt fix it entirely. Thanks for the advice dudes, I will continue troubleshooting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I did a couple half turns on my shift cable adjuster, that helped some but still didnt fix it entirely. Thanks for the advice dudes, I will continue troubleshooting.

If you lose good upshifting without getting close to fixing the downshifting, then it’s definitely not something cable tension alone can fix.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Has anyone here ever had a problem with a tire that has a too small diameter bead and it won't fit onto your rim? My new enduro bike ended up getting a flat tire on my first ride. So I bought a set Tannus Armor and set out to install it. At first I thought the tire were tubeless since it seemed the bead was glued to the rim. It turns out it wasn't glued, it just fit on extremely tightly. I actually broke one of my tire levers clean in half while trying to get one of the tires off. I managed to get both tires removed, but now I can't get either one of them back on. The diameter of the tire bead is about 2 cm smaller than the diameter of the rim. I'm probably going to have to teke these wheels to my local bike shop and have them try to get the tire on, but I have a feeling they won't be able to, and I'll have to just get a new set of tires which have a slightly larger bead.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I recall a few years ago I took a different mountain bike to a bike shop to get new tires, and after I picked out the tires I wanted, the guy installing them came to me and told me I have to pick out another set because he couldn't get the bead around my rims. Why can't tire beads just be standardized? As far as I understand, there is no benefit to having beads fit onto the rim super tight.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

New bike day! Ended up getting the Marin San Quentin 2. First mountain bike I've ever owned. Felt great but really have no frame of reference other than the 26" bmx bike I've been riding. Having suspension and gears is such a game changer.

Rode this same route yesterday on my bmx and today on the SQ2 and it was night and day difference. Didn't have to walk the bike one time which is awesome. I think I'm hooked on this mtb thing already.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

School of How posted:

Has anyone here ever had a problem with a tire that has a too small diameter bead and it won't fit onto your rim? My new enduro bike ended up getting a flat tire on my first ride. So I bought a set Tannus Armor and set out to install it. At first I thought the tire were tubeless since it seemed the bead was glued to the rim. It turns out it wasn't glued, it just fit on extremely tightly. I actually broke one of my tire levers clean in half while trying to get one of the tires off. I managed to get both tires removed, but now I can't get either one of them back on. The diameter of the tire bead is about 2 cm smaller than the diameter of the rim. I'm probably going to have to teke these wheels to my local bike shop and have them try to get the tire on, but I have a feeling they won't be able to, and I'll have to just get a new set of tires which have a slightly larger bead.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I recall a few years ago I took a different mountain bike to a bike shop to get new tires, and after I picked out the tires I wanted, the guy installing them came to me and told me I have to pick out another set because he couldn't get the bead around my rims. Why can't tire beads just be standardized? As far as I understand, there is no benefit to having beads fit onto the rim super tight.

I have never heard of them being this off, some variation is typical but its usually a tire or brand of tires known for being generally tight but still works, and afaik thats more with road tires than mtb. Tubeless tires after being installed for a while can get 'glued' to the rim, I usually break the bead on both sides all the way around by rolling the tread of the tire (deflated) towards one side, trying to wrap it around the rim almost to pry the bead off the side. Do this all the way around both sides of the tire and its easier to get it off. Also, get both beads of the tire into the deepest part of the rim before trying to lever either bead over, this gives you more clearance to get the bead over the sidewall of the rim. If you dont drop the bead into the gully it can be hard to get a tire on/off, but tbh I've yet to find a mtb tire that needs more than 1 lever if any.

Unless you're getting 27.5 tires for a 29, but thats very unlikely with a brand new bike and is a different problem that the shop would tell you about.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Unless you're getting 27.5 tires for a 29, but thats very unlikely with a brand new bike and is a different problem that the shop would tell you about.

There's no physical way you could get a metal or kevlar bead that much smaller onto the bigger rim -- you're asking the circumference of the bead to stretch out 120mm.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Scrapez posted:

New bike day! Ended up getting the Marin San Quentin 2. First mountain bike I've ever owned. Felt great but really have no frame of reference other than the 26" bmx bike I've been riding. Having suspension and gears is such a game changer.

Rode this same route yesterday on my bmx and today on the SQ2 and it was night and day difference. Didn't have to walk the bike one time which is awesome. I think I'm hooked on this mtb thing already.

Hell yeah, that's a nice looking bike! I love the green around the chainstays.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

School of How posted:

I had a pair of chinese carbon 29er rims I was using on a CX bike with 700c size gravel tires, and getting the tires on those rims was so hard I broke several tire levers over the years and got multiple pinch flats (with tubes) trying to get the bead over the rim. I just did my first two tubeless MTB tires today though and had no issues, much easier than some road bike tires I've done.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

kimbo305 posted:

There's no physical way you could get a metal or kevlar bead that much smaller onto the bigger rim -- you're asking the circumference of the bead to stretch out 120mm.

yeah for sure, I just cant imagine anything else that has a bike shop employee coming back out and saying buy different tires we cant get the ones we sold you onto the rim.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Tire and wheel mfgs both push the tolerances a little for etrto standards a bit to maybe make a tire fit a little more tightly, which is pretty important with hookless tubeless rims. I've had like 2-3 occasions where I've just had to give up on installing a tire and suggest something else or take a return.

On the other hand I've encountered a number of wheels and tires that were borderline too loose and maybe not a good or safe setup. A bunch of roval road rims come to mind, and some zipps with panaracer tires. WTBs seem to run a little on the tight side. A michelin power on a zipp 30 sc was one where i actually had to say "ok yeah lets get you a different tire."

But yeah usually just making sure the bead is in the rim channel and going over the valve last will help with getting most tires on. Inserts generally make everything harder because they'll push the tire beads out from the center.

green kingfisher
May 23, 2022

I blame the horse people, just knowing what trail it’s on and the local animosity between the groups but it could just as easily be someone who doesn’t like bikers where they walk their dog in the morning.

gently caress people who do stuff like this. Trails are for everyone, people need to calm down.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My money on it’s the same people letting their dogs run off leash everywhere and not picking up the poo poo.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

Big Taint posted:

My money on it’s the same people letting their dogs run off leash everywhere and not picking up the poo poo.

Well in my neck of the woods, it was a former government minister.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/former-mp-ron-davies-accused-trail-sabotage-caerphilly

Hate to start on a dodgy note, but defected to the battery powered world this summer and picked up a Marin alpine trail e1. I’m getting more riding in, and the bike is surprisingly spry considering the extra weight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Big Taint posted:

That could be 90% of dog walkers

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 19, 2022

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

JoeSchmoe posted:

Well in my neck of the woods, it was a former government minister.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/former-mp-ron-davies-accused-trail-sabotage-caerphilly

Hate to start on a dodgy note, but defected to the battery powered world this summer and picked up a Marin alpine trail e1. I’m getting more riding in, and the bike is surprisingly spry considering the extra weight.

Nice! I demoed one of those in the FoD back in the spring and it was good fun. Like you said, it felt good considering the weight. Although I was disappointed with how quickly I drained the battery, the capacity could definitely be bigger.

South Wales is perfect ebike territory though, I love places like Risca but the climbs can be a slog compared to the relatively short ones in FoD.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

During lockdown being able to get out on a bike was a bit of a life saver, and being surrounded by amazing trails was great, but as I’m now on the downward slope toward my fifties the extra help on the climb is very useful.

The battery on the e1 isn’t great - I can empty it in half a day at BPW, but for somewhere like fod it’ll handle most of a day. Need to put an invertor in the van so I can top it up over lunch.

I came from a transition sentinel and the Marin is more agile in the corners. Feels similar though - maybe a bit more of a monster truck but with how blown out a lot of the trails are here, that’s no bad thing.

Seen the news about revs? This larch dieback is just getting worse and worse it seems.

Oh and if tyre chat is still going on - switched my front from assegai to magic Mary recently. The assegai was fine, but a bit drifty in the loose stuff. Magic Mary just seems more direct. Running a DHR out the back until I kill it - not sure I’m 100% ok with not matching my tyre brands front and back but I guess we’re all a work in progress.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I am headed to the mountains for work tomorrow, was loading the bike tonight and noticed I have a pretty big scratch on my fork. It's 160mm fork, the scratch is probably ~half way up and down to bare aluminum. Maybe 1-2mm wide and 10mm long. I can easily feel it. Two questions:

1) I don't have time to fix this tonight. Am I OK to ride it in this condition? I wasn't planning on hitting super difficult/technical trails, but I don't want to damage the fork further.

2) How do I go about fixing this? Smooth it down with successively finer sandpaper and seal/polish it? Send it back to Fox for service?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Should be fine, but just check to make sure you're holding pressure OK. Might cause issues with air leaking around the seal.

There are epoxy kits you can find online to fix it or you can have a suspension shop replace the stanchion.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sand it with some 320 and call it good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LordOfThePants posted:

I am headed to the mountains for work tomorrow, was loading the bike tonight and noticed I have a pretty big scratch on my fork. It's 160mm fork, the scratch is probably ~half way up and down to bare aluminum. Maybe 1-2mm wide and 10mm long. I can easily feel it. Two questions:

1) I don't have time to fix this tonight. Am I OK to ride it in this condition? I wasn't planning on hitting super difficult/technical trails, but I don't want to damage the fork further.

2) How do I go about fixing this? Smooth it down with successively finer sandpaper and seal/polish it? Send it back to Fox for service?

I wouldn't ride with it like that personally and I'm sorry to have to be the guy to say it. Do you have a friend you can borrow a fork from?

My concerns would be the scratch damaging the bushings in the fork, and less so the seal because it's replaceable.