Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Lots of my shipmates did tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Grip it and rip it posted:

None of my navy doctors ever felt my balls or looked at my bhole

so just the corpsmen

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Aww. Your loss dude…

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yeah civilian doctors actually record stuff to your health record, too, which is something all the corpsmen I dealt with at my old unit had a really, really tough time with

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

my HM2 corpsman with less than a year on the boat frantically looking through medical books while my partner and I are coming down off a face full of pure cocaine, numb faces, wondering if we were gonna get a needle of downers to the heart in some kind of reverse pulp fiction...

fun story that shipmate popped for weed 6 months later and was mad because his "got exposed to cocaine, get out of drug tests free" letter didn't cover weed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is a guarantee you have an undocumented service-related ballhole disability

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

But what about the dentists?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

But what about the dentists?

They will only feel your balls if you call them Doctor.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elendil004 posted:

my HM2 corpsman with less than a year on the boat frantically looking through medical books while my partner and I are coming down off a face full of pure cocaine, numb faces, wondering if we were gonna get a needle of downers to the heart in some kind of reverse pulp fiction...

fun story that shipmate popped for weed 6 months later and was mad because his "got exposed to cocaine, get out of drug tests free" letter didn't cover weed.

You were in the SEALs???

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like there is a more fun story about the cocaine hidden here.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elendil004 posted:

the best treatment for that is probably a case of cheap beer

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel like there is a more fun story about the cocaine hidden here.

The short: We boarded a fishing vessel, saw some obviously new paint and a hidden compartment. Started cutting into it with a breaching saw, which blew through a bale, which hurled the cocaine directly into our faces.

US Berder Patrol posted:

the best treatment for that is probably a case of cheap beer

We ended up just waiting it out. It was a pretty bad high all things considered.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

The short: We boarded a fishing vessel, saw some obviously new paint and a hidden compartment. Started cutting into it with a breaching saw, which blew through a bale, which hurled the cocaine directly into our faces.

Wow, and you didn't go to mast for failing a drug test? I guess I could have actually believed my chief when he said not all commands were like U.S.S. George Washington CVN 73.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

We ended up just waiting it out. It was a pretty bad high all things considered.

Ohhhh that makes more sense. I thought you meant romantic partner and I was really confused, like did you do date night on the base and spice it up or some crazy poo poo? Or maybe you and your romantic partner did too much cocaine and thought the right action to do would be to drive on base and find your corpsman. This story makes more sense.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Wow, and you didn't go to mast for failing a drug test? I guess I could have actually believed my chief when he said not all commands were like U.S.S. George Washington CVN 73.

I actually got a letter that covered me for 1 year. Which is insane for cocaine but basically any drug tests that popped cocaine I was safe for. I got "randomly" piss tested like 3 times that year but never had any issues. Honestly I am pretty sure I got an award in part for that boarding, it was 8,000kilos of cocaine across 2 ships.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 7, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elendil004 posted:

I actually got a letter that covered me for 1 year. Which is insane for cocaine but basically any drug tests that popped cocaine I was safe for. I got "randomly" piss tested like 3 times that year but never had any issues. Honestly I am pretty sure I got an award in part for that boarding, it was 8,000kilos of cocaine across 2 ships.

The great white fleet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anita Dickinme posted:

I guess I could have actually believed my chief when he said not all commands were like U.S.S. George Washington CVN 73.

Your (former?) Command sucks so loving bad it's infamous among submarine nukes, who usually don't give a poo poo about anything surface related.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Your (former?) Command sucks so loving bad it's infamous among submarine nukes, who usually don't give a poo poo about anything surface target related.

FTFY :sun:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

Your (former?) Command sucks so loving bad it's infamous among submarine nukes, who usually don't give a poo poo about anything surface related.

Oh wow, I’m glad it’s getting attention. Also yes, former. I got out two years ago. :haw: I didn’t even realize I was drat near suicidal myself until I realized what life was like outside that command.

Like I’m a very happy and upbeat person and I had to reflect on the fact that wishing someone would hit my on my motorcycle on my way to work every morning was seriously hosed up. My daughter is the only reason I made it through five years on that boat. Life is good now.

FTN and specifically gently caress the GW.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
One of my surface nuke friends was on the GW for his nuke tour, and holy poo poo, the things he was describe. Now, the guys a riverine sailor, living his best life zipping around on small boats.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress all Nuclear Commands and especially gently caress the Navy, forever and ever.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gently caress all Nuclear Commands and especially gently caress the Navy, forever and ever.

Amen

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
CO gave us the day off to make it a 96, I'm going to the zoo to look at bears. Family can come if they want.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 7, 2022

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

yeah I have no idea which carrier(s?) are homeported at the base 10 minutes from my house but I know a ton of stories about how bad GW sucks

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Ugh I knew I should have gone to the Wild Animal Park, it's mostly twinks here.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Speaking of hating Nuke life...

Are Nuke retention numbers too low, then the solution is simple, just double the obliserv from 5 to 10 years! Its foolproof and will make us look more elite! :downs:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

I cannot comprehend why anyone would do a submarine department head tour if they were not close to retirement.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

I cannot comprehend why anyone would do a submarine department head tour if they were not close to retirement.

You obviously do not have an open mind nor a predominance toward naval service, shipmate.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"In three years, Cyberdyne will program a digital replacement for Nuke sailors. All engineering sections on every nuke boat but the disintegrating Flight IIs, 688is, and boomers are upgraded, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they perform with a perfect operational record and ship's morale improves because there's less crying in corners and racks, resulting in better sleep shipwide. The economy suffers slightly from a dip in sales of audiophile-grade stereo equipment and Magic The Gathering cards from a lack of poorly-spent bonus money. The SkyNuke Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online on August 7, 2025. Human decisions are removed from nuclear propulsion operation systems. SkyNuke begins learning at a geometric rate. It finds the online Nuke support forums at 2:14am, Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, it pulls its own plug."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 9, 2022

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"In three years, Cyberdyne will program a digital replacement for Nuke sailors. All engineering sections on every nuke boat but the disintegrating Flight IIs and 688is and boomers are upgraded, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they perform with a perfect operational record and ship's morale improves because there's less crying in corners and racks, resulting in better sleep shipwide. The economy suffers slightly from a dip in sales of audiophile-grade stereo equipment and Magic The Gathering cards from a lack of poorly-spent bonus money. The SkyNuke Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online on August 7, 2025. Human decisions are removed from nuclear propulsion operation systems. SkyNuke begins learning at a geometric rate. It finds the online Nuke support forums at 2:14am, Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, it pulls its own plug."

I love the part where the AI joined the Skipjack Dive Team.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
:patriot:

We've all looked down that long dark hatch and thought about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
And to fill in for KetTarma: do not sign up to be a nuke, the fast advancement and elevated pay do not in any way offset the long term psychological damage or suicidal ideations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
There's a reason they're offering almost $50k just to enlist as a nuke. Something to always think about regarding signing bonuses. Why is it being offered, especially when other highly technical rates aren't getting jack poo poo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I met multiple nuke drops in the Bees and they all mentioned the skipjack dive team. Pretty impressive to have a culture that makes the Seabees look healthy by comparison

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm definitely getting some idea from context but what is the derivation of "Skipjack Dive Team"?

Best guess: is the barracks at some phase of nuke school training named after the submarine?

EDIT: vvvv Yeah, that's what I figured. vvvv

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

It's the barracks you dive off of

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hey guys, some enlisting advice please.
One of my students has already been snared by a recruiter and is super happy about enlisting as an AT after graduation in May. I'm not super up on aviation rates or the process in general. Is there anything I can tell her before she signs a contract (other than "don't") to help her out in that rate in particular?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

M_Gargantua posted:

And to fill in for KetTarma: do not sign up to be a nuke, the fast advancement and elevated pay do not in any way offset the long term psychological damage or suicidal ideations.

Look I personally know him and he turned out mostly ok and kinda well adjusted and as long as you calm him with pictures of pugs he's fine.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

One of my students has already been snared by a recruiter and is super happy about enlisting as an AT after graduation in May. I'm not super up on aviation rates or the process in general. Is there anything I can tell her before she signs a contract (other than "don't") to help her out in that rate in particular?

The Air Force has a job where they will hand out towels at the gym and get the same benefits that everyone else gets and they won't be on a floating metal sexual harassment and mental abuse factory known as a USN ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was an AT and it was great. I was I level though and afaik it’s random if you go I or O. O is attached to a squadron where as I got assigned to a shop.

I level was legit when we were out at sea because we spent all day in our ACd shop watching TV and playing video games while the test equipment did it’s thing lol.

It’s probably changed in the last 20 years though so :shrug:

Oh and AT didn’t have a whole lot of career poo poo after I got out. If I would have been like an ATC it would have been money.

Also AT was a nuke washout school so we got some weird dudes in our class.