Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Geisladisk posted:

I painted a rat man

it’s lovely. Rats off to ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, you wanna look up Aries Games. They basically sell JUST Battletech and have a ton of 3rd party decals for the various factions.

EDIT: direct link:

https://ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping/category/206-battletech-decals.html

These came in yesterday and I got a lot of painting done today while recovering from my covid booster.

I got the Raven and Wolfhound painted up today.

I also got a lot of terrain painted today and last night, plus a few vehicles

I went with the faction on the MW2 Mercenaries box

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Anyone know where I can get individual bottles of the vallejo nocturna line? The "lipstick" color from the purple set is really really vibrant and saturated in a way a lot of magentas just aren't, I'm loving that color

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Are Citadel contrast paints the only ones worth using or are there any other brands that do similar?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gambrinus posted:

Are Citadel contrast paints the only ones worth using or are there any other brands that do similar?

Vallejo is coming out with some, but I think so far the only 'review' has been from the dude who actually designed them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Gambrinus posted:

I've had a great time with Army Painter Speed Paints. I feel the claims of tearing are greatly overstated.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've had a great time with Army Painter Speed Paints. I feel the claims of tearing are greatly overstated.

I love speed paint, but they need to make a v2 without the reactivation issues

Noita
Oct 2, 2022

by Hand Knit

Spanish Manlove posted:

Anyone know where I can get individual bottles of the vallejo nocturna line? The "lipstick" color from the purple set is really really vibrant and saturated in a way a lot of magentas just aren't, I'm loving that color

it looks like they have a few that come only in the Nocturna boxes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it looks like they’ve EOLed the model side of nocturna. im not sure if that means the paint sets are likely to go out of production too but uhh maybe buy a set if you want it, just in case

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I might just have to get a spare box because I love all the paints in that set.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

I love speed paint, but they need to make a v2 without the reactivation issues

I love the speed paints too, but the reactivation is a pain. It's mostly an issue with the red, I feel like? At least from the intro box of colors.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I love sitting down and cranking out a couple models with speedpaint, then rinsing my dry palette off to brand new. Hopefully they can fix reactivation and maintain those watercoloresque properties

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Arcturas posted:

I love the speed paints too, but the reactivation is a pain. It's mostly an issue with the red, I feel like? At least from the intro box of colors.

So far, I've had every Speedpaint color that I've used (also from the starter box) reactivate, including during the moments I sprayed acrylic varnish (either rattlecan or airbrush) onto them to protect them from reactivating. I've got a couple test figures I've been letting sit for a few days to see if time is a factor in reactivation, so I'll probably mess with them sometime soon here and see what happens.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Arcturas posted:

I feel like I need to actually experiment but I think your largely right. The Reds and oranges have this issue for sure.

Just such a buzzkill because otherwise they're so nice to use. Maybe a little "gloopy"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I might just have to get a spare box because I love all the paints in that set.
i have all 4 of the nocturna sets and i use all of them a fair bit. purple set is the best one though, especially because purples and violets can be a little bit tricky to find good paints for

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
If you like speed paints but wish they didn’t reactivate, I gotta say I’ve been very happy with Contrast.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The biggest downside of the contrast range is you cannot predict what a colour will do looking at the pot. Is it very thin like a wash, does it have a huge value contrast between the lightest and darkest shade, one that is almost uniform across the whole surface. You need to see demonstrations of a colour first before buying and then spend time playing and experimenting with it. There are must have colours and absolute stinkers.

Dana Howl has a video showing all contrast and speed paints.
https://youtu.be/HLn7U_CgD_Y

Also about a week ago Army Painter did a "we're poo poo, but we'll do better" video. They are redoing paints and putting mixing balls in.
https://youtu.be/97TG2Q5thrk

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 8, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So far, I've had every Speedpaint color that I've used (also from the starter box) reactivate, including during the moments I sprayed acrylic varnish (either rattlecan or airbrush) onto them to protect them from reactivating. I've got a couple test figures I've been letting sit for a few days to see if time is a factor in reactivation, so I'll probably mess with them sometime soon here and see what happens.

I have varnished speed paints with an airbrush 24 hours after application with no issue. Obviously waiting a whole kills that "speed" thing, but that's my experience. As I have mentioned previously, I have used oil paints / white spirits on speed paints an hour after application with no ill effect.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the army painter video is a pretty by the numbers corporate “we’re listening, we want to do better” video and it’s still 1000000x what you’d ever get out of GW lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

jesus WEP posted:

the army painter video is a pretty by the numbers corporate “we’re listening, we want to do better” video and it’s still 1000000x what you’d ever get out of GW lol

Paint pots are fine and perfect and everyone whining about them is a big baby.

Love,
Games Workshop

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bored Online posted:

I love sitting down and cranking out a couple models with speedpaint, then rinsing my dry palette off to brand new. Hopefully they can fix reactivation and maintain those watercoloresque properties

The challenge can be looking at your pallet and trying to figure out which dark blob is which.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

The biggest downside of the contrast range is you cannot predict what a colour will do looking at the pot. Is it very thin like a wash, does it have a huge value contrast between the lightest and darkest shade, one that is almost uniform across the whole surface. You need to see demonstrations of a colour first before buying and then spend time playing and experimenting with it. There are must have colours and absolute stinkers.

Also about a week ago Army Painter did a "we're poo poo, but we'll do better" video. They are redoing paints and putting mixing balls in.

I agree about how contrast paints are hard to tell what the outcome will be based on the pot color. What I did is print out a really good copy of an image (linked below) that displays the contrast paints, and then I laminated it, hole punched it, attached it to a circle ring and have it hanging on a hook on my painting area. I also printed out and did the same thing with all the images from GW's website advertising the new contrast range. So now when I want to use a contrast paint I look at my nice visual guides to find the color or effect I am looking for, then grab the corresponding pot. I also have a color wheel on the hook as well.

I also have another ring clip with laminated images of WW2 color schemes and whatnot for my flames of war minis. I find having a hook in my painting area and having ring bound laminated items is really, really handy!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I agree about how contrast paints are hard to tell what the outcome will be based on the pot color. What I did is print out a really good copy of an image (linked below) that displays the contrast paints, and then I laminated it, hole punched it, attached it to a circle ring and have it hanging on a hook on my painting area. I also printed out and did the same thing with all the images from GW's website advertising the new contrast range. So now when I want to use a contrast paint I look at my nice visual guides to find the color or effect I am looking for, then grab the corresponding pot. I also have a color wheel on the hook as well.

I also have another ring clip with laminated images of WW2 color schemes and whatnot for my flames of war minis. I find having a hook in my painting area and having ring bound laminated items is really, really handy!

Even this isn't going to help a ton. You'd be lucky to get Plyar Glacier to look at all like that. It's almost like one of the old GW glazes more than a contrast paint.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Even this isn't going to help a ton. You'd be lucky to get Plyar Glacier to look at all like that. It's almost like one of the old GW glazes more than a contrast paint.

Funny you mention Pylar Glacier, I use that a ton for my cracking ice floe bases and you are right, it would take a few coats to get quite that color on the sheet. Unfortunately that sheet is the most compact thing I have that shows roughly what the colors all are. Most of the other images I found are multiple pages of stuff that seemed a little too much.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Eediot Jedi posted:

You just described literally every line of paint that has ever existed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Verisimilidude posted:

You just described literally every line of paint that has ever existed.

If you're an idiot yes, you can reduce what I said to every line of paint and pretend contrast doesn't have that problem except much worse than most paint lines, or even just much worse than most citadel paint lines.

jesus WEP posted:

The squat apology video was great. :colbert:

E: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/29/leagues-of-votann-balance-update-a-word-from-james-workshop/

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 9, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well a Burnt Umber is the same across all paint manufacturers, I think, so if you wanna get nitpicky #notallpaintlines

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Eediot Jedi posted:

If you're an idiot yes, you can reduce what I said to every line of paint and pretend contrast doesn't have that problem except much worse than most paint lines, or even just much worse than most citadel paint lines.

I think you need to chill, first of all. I wasn’t attacking you, so please mind your tone and be respectful.

Second of all, literally yes, every line of paint has that issue, going back to the dawn of paint

Every paint line has a learning curve, which was my point. Contrast, if anything, is one of the easier types of paint to get into even for total beginners. It’s complex in the sense that it may have tonal variance, unlike a perfectly opaque or singularly pigmented transparent paint, but that doesn’t exactly translate to “much worse than other paint lines”.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I put a dab of paint on the tops of bottles to easily reference what they look like when dry. Still not foolproof but it works

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just wing it :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Paint extra sprue and mount all your paint bottles like scarecrows

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Keep a couple test models primed different colors around ezpz.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bored Online posted:

Keep a couple test models primed different colors around ezpz.

Literally do this. I keep a failed Ork Trukk scratchbuild and an old sci fi model vehicle around and just keep putting layers of paint on them, trying weathering techniques, and so on. Having something I can just hit with whatever technique is super useful.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Verisimilidude posted:

I think you need to chill, first of all. I wasn’t attacking you, so please mind your tone and be respectful.

Second of all, literally yes, every line of paint has that issue, going back to the dawn of paint

Every paint line has a learning curve, which was my point. Contrast, if anything, is one of the easier types of paint to get into even for total beginners. It’s complex in the sense that it may have tonal variance, unlike a perfectly opaque or singularly pigmented transparent paint, but that doesn’t exactly translate to “much worse than other paint lines”.

Nah. Say what you mean in the first place. Don't make a pedant post with no explanation of your actual point, then huff because I'm not humoring what looks like a pointlessly pedantic poo poo post that added zero to the conversation.

I'm not convinced we're having the same argument. I was talking about the problem with buying contrast paints going by pot colour, in a conversation kicked off from a beginner painter potentially buying contrast paints.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I just had a birthday and my fiancee bought me the citadel paint + tools set and a box of reivers, so I got the opportunity to paint my first mini in a decade+

I'm rusty as all heck, but I'd forgotten how incredibly fun painting can be. The smell of the gw plastic glue really brings me back :3

Always wanted to paint crimson fists back in the day, and it seemed to be a good fit with the paints I have available. Dude on the left came together on friday while I was still trying to remember how paints worked, while the guy on the right was finished yesterday, and I think he's a vast improvement- though I see a lot of dumb sloppy mistakes in the picture that I missed during painting- definitely gonna have to go back and fix some stuff up, plus putting in the time to file off those mold lines on every subsequent model

Also dang, the detail on these primaris minis is pretty crazy compared to the old chunky space marine boys I was used to

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I think I need to go and buy some different shades of contrast brown as these skaven are coming out a bit dark.

Also, I'm sticking to buying unpainted models from now on, unless it's something special. Stripping sucks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Buying cheap, second-hand, shittily painted models that you have to strip sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice it's very rarely worth it due to the unknowable factor of the end effort required. But getting burned on that skinflinted decision is something everyone does and has to learn from.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if they’re shittily painted they’re likely also shittily assembled, and in ways that are a pita to fix

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's the best way to get metal models though, those strip great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I bought some 3D printed bases for some Rubric Marines and I'm having the hardest time getting my test model to stay glued to the base. It had been suggested to me that the bases should be washed before I try to glue figures to them but that runs contrary to what I've heard about 3D printed stuff. Not that I object to giving them a quick wash but not having to do so would be even easier but also I've never had this sort of trouble before. Is there a trick to this or should I just expend the slight effort to wash the drat things?