Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

21. Prey: Mooncrash

This is DLC for Prey, but it's pretty much its own self-contained game. I had heard it described as "Prey but roguelike" before I picked it up, which sort of put me off, but I don't think that's a very accurate description. You do play through repeatedly and if you die you have to restart, but the map is always the same apart from small details - a door might be broken on one run, need a keycard on the next, or be only openable by hacking, for example. The enemy and item layouts change and there are various hazards that can spawn, but they more make you mix up the way you get somewhere rather than change where you need to go.

The other big difference is that you can play as five different characters, and you do runs sequentially, so anything you affect with the first character will stay that way for the second one and so on.

I liked it, it was a unique experience thanks to this structure which I haven't seen in any other game - it had elements of a roguelike or randomizer, there was some meta-puzzle elements as you have to set things up for a later character with an earlier one, and the story was interesting. My only slight complaint was that the characters didn't feel that different, I think mainly due to my getting the ability to start with a silenced pistol and ammo very early which seemed like the best approach for everyone. There also wasn't too much of the need to carry things over between characters, I would have liked to see that be explored a bit further with maybe specific tasks that need to be accomplished by using the characters in different orders - as it was, I can only think of one section where that was strictly necessary to progress.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it if you like Prey or Arkane's other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video
6. The King of Chicago (Amiga, one of the good endings)
7. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (63%)
8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
9. Tokimeki Memorial (Super Famicom, Ayako, Saki, Rei and Forever Alone endings)
10. Mother 3 - review
11. Wario World - review
12. Soul Blazer - review
13. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - review
14. Final Fantasy XV - review
15. Illusion of Gaia - review
16. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (Arcade mode, Okay difficulty, April O' Neil, 1CC, No Death) - review
17. Terranigma - review
18. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard, D rank) - review
19. Kirby Super Star (77%, basic completion on all games including minigames and Arena)
20. Super Mario RPG
21. Castlevania: Bloodlines (No death, Normal, Eric Lecarde) - video
22. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

forgot to post this a couple days ago. still pretty fun to go through even though i beat all these last year

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring
5. Rolling Gunner Overpower
6. Sekiro
7. Blazing Chrome
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. RimWorld
11. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
13. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
14. Deadly Premonition 2
15. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
16. Link Between Worlds
17. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
18. Halo Wars Definitive Edition
19. Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne

Nocturne is great but man I could make a long list of things I don't like about the gameplay. I used one mod so all my demons would share XP, to fix a thing. The music and setting with minimalistic plot and characters are top tier though; Nocturne's strongest points are Apocalypse's weakest. I've still got IV, SJR and Souls Hackers lined up but I might take an SMT break.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

live a live remake, best ending. I liked the changes to the ending and the game still whips.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade 3: combined all the best parts of 1 and 2 and improved on them, what a game

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Fungah! posted:

live a live remake, best ending. I liked the changes to the ending and the game still whips.

Yeah it's an awesome game and remake. What was your favorite age/time period

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

imperial china all day, its short and tight wth a good plot and some cool beats

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Contra Hard Corps (Ray) - the 4 different player characters (all with different weapons) and multiple routes through the game are sick. there are no fail gimmick stages either although there is one mandatory boss fight that drags on forever. I wish the game had a password system like CV Bloodlines because it's kind of long and it would be nice to start from the later stages if you made it there in good shape. one of the hardest games i've beaten for sure.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

virtua cop (saturn) - 1CC

this game gets better the more i play it. i知 pretty sure this was my first ever 1CC. i feel like a million bucks right now

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Spoderman posted:

this game gets better the more i play it. i’m pretty sure this was my first ever 1CC. i feel like a million bucks right now

Gg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

this game gets better the more i play it. i知 pretty sure this was my first ever 1CC. i feel like a million bucks right now

Nice dude

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

your website is actually what inspired me to start going for 1CCs in the first place, so thanks for that!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Spoderman posted:

your website is actually what inspired me to start going for 1CCs in the first place, so thanks for that!

Thanks for reading it brother. Maybe I'll start updating it again one of these days

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

nice work

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Spoderman posted:

badass

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Spoderman posted:

Lol now I want to get one. All you gotta say is you feel like a million bucks and I知 in.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

30. Nightshade (NES)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1. Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster
2. Monster Hunter Rise (first credits)
3. Elden Ring
4. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Hard Mode (all main missions)
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo - hard, all side missions, all yokai
6. Chrono Trigger - All Sidequests
7. Death Stranding
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 4p co-op (Michelangelo)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
11. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
12. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
13. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
14. Super Mario RPG
15. Resident Evil 4
16. Dead Space

Tons of fun, love a scary space ship. Had to turn on gyro aiming just to beat the last boss lol.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video
6. The King of Chicago (Amiga, one of the good endings)
7. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (63%)
8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
9. Tokimeki Memorial (Super Famicom, Ayako, Saki, Rei and Forever Alone endings)
10. Mother 3 - review
11. Wario World - review
12. Soul Blazer - review
13. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - review
14. Final Fantasy XV - review
15. Illusion of Gaia - review
16. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (Arcade mode, Okay difficulty, April O' Neil, 1CC, No Death) - review
17. Terranigma - review
18. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard, D rank) - review
19. Kirby Super Star (77%, basic completion on all games including minigames and Arena)
20. Super Mario RPG
21. Castlevania: Bloodlines (No death, Normal, Eric Lecarde) - video
22. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
23. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All

forgot to post this a couple days ago as well.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

21. Otogi: Myth of Demons

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

fadam posted:

1. Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster
2. Monster Hunter Rise (first credits)
3. Elden Ring
4. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Hard Mode (all main missions)
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo - hard, all side missions, all yokai
6. Chrono Trigger - All Sidequests
7. Death Stranding
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 4p co-op (Michelangelo)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
11. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
12. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
13. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
14. Super Mario RPG
15. Resident Evil 4
16. Dead Space

Tons of fun, love a scary space ship. Had to turn on gyro aiming just to beat the last boss lol.

dead space ftw. dead space 2 ftw. dead space 3.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Quarry. Enjoyed this one a lot, great performances from a talented cast (Ted Raimi particularly kills it as a creepy small-town sheriff), it had a lighter tone than the Dark Pictures that balanced out the horror with some surprisingly funny moments, lots of cool little butterfly-effect stuff where minor things you do could pay off in unexpected ways hours later. I also liked the clue system and enjoyed piecing all the little mysteries together. I got three characters killed but they were the ones I didn't like so it's fine. All the Hacketts except Ted Raimi ended up dead, I killed Silas at the very end, and found enough evidence to get Ted arrested.

Also after all three Dark Pictures games I'm happy that they just let the spooky stuff be supernatural this time instead of having a rational explanation. The werewolves were no-bullshit werewolves that transform in the full moon and can only be killed by silver, the ghost lady was actually the lingering spirit of a dead woman, it's a nice change of pace after the Dark Pictures being a little more grounded (aside from House of Ashes but as crazy as that was it still wasn't supernatural).

Each of the three Dark Pictures was better than the last and I think this continued the pattern despite not technically being part of the series (I feel like I preferred House of Ashes but this is still the better game, if that makes sense) so I'm excited to see what the next Dark Pictures game is like next month.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

31. Resident Evil VII, Normal difficulty

I absolutely loved this game. It was gruesome and scary, loved the tight squeeze areas, the tension was good, boss fights were awesome. The house was a lot of fun to explore, too. I could have used more variety in non-boss enemies, but all in all it's a small complaint.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

RE7 ftw. most of the dlc is worth a shot as well.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Rhythm Heaven Megamix - All Superb!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

20. F.E.A.R.

Pretty good. Fun enough that I might try an extreme difficulty run some day. I wish there were more interesting supernatural enemies. I also wish the flashlight would last more than a few seconds. I hear Extraction Point is decent so I'll do that next.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1. Tell Me Why
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
  4. Elden Ring
  5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  7. Shadow Complex Remastered
  8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Slow year in terms of beating games, thanks to Elden Ring & Xenoblade. This game exceeded every possible expectation I had for it, virtually everything is an improvement over the previous 2 games. They combined combat mechanics, story, and settings from the first 2 and created something really special here. If you're a fan of the series I don't think I have to tell you to play this game, but I am.

5/5, GOTY

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

1. Tell Me Why
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
  4. Elden Ring
  5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  7. Shadow Complex Remastered
  8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Slow year in terms of beating games, thanks to Elden Ring & Xenoblade. This game exceeded every possible expectation I had for it, virtually everything is an improvement over the previous 2 games. They combined combat mechanics, story, and settings from the first 2 and created something really special here. If you're a fan of the series I don't think I have to tell you to play this game, but I am.

5/5, GOTY

quite simply this :hai:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

discount cathouse posted:

Rhythm Heaven Megamix - All Superb!
Nice.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

20. F.E.A.R.

Pretty good. Fun enough that I might try an extreme difficulty run some day. I wish there were more interesting supernatural enemies. I also wish the flashlight would last more than a few seconds. I hear Extraction Point is decent so I'll do that next.

FEAR is the poo poo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Pilot Wings

It's a cool tech demo but I don't think it really does anything worth playing it for nowadays. Short and hard.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Short and hard.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Lost Judgement: bought this on a whim since it came to PC and I'm so glad I did. at first i didnt vibe with the combat system but that was really early on, and that feeling morphed into it being one of the most fun systems I've played in recent memory. I've only played yakuza 0, 6, and like a dragon so I've only dabbled in the series but this one had one of the best stories I've experienced in recent memory for games. I really got into it start to finish and maybe I'll play the 1st one sometime hoping it'll have that same quality but I went straight to lost judgement figuring gameplay would be more refined. I did all of the school stories and missed out on 4 or 5 sidequests but my playtime hit 80 hours so I'm definitely satisfied paying full price for it. i eagerly await the next installment.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Rocket Knight Adventures

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
35. The Golden Compass (All Secret Tasks)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Nightshade Part 1: The Claws of Sutekh

Cool idea with goofy 90s writing but it needed infinite continues and better controls

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mamkute posted:

35. The Golden Compass (All Secret Tasks)

you know i'm starting to think i should've believed synthy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

symbolic posted:

you know i'm starting to think i should've believed synthy

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

post evidence of it mamkute, prove the haters wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx