Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get mad when people miss or anything like that. I get mad when people ignore that this is a team game and don't communicate and act like it's a single player FPS where you're the main character and can solo the other team.

Like hey, I'm Ana and have no mobility. Please DPS or tank go dislodge that Soldier who is just free-firing at me from the high ground. No? You're just going to let him sit there all game and constantly kill us? Then get mad about not getting heals?

My tip is if you're not very good, please just at least stay with your team and don't go in when the team is down multiple players. And if you are a mobile hero, come back to the healers after going in, and don't just sit there complaining about not getting healed when the entire team looks your way and you stay there fighting way on the other side of where your healers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My first game was Torb and I got POTG so I thought I was hot poo poo. I haven't won a game since.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
nice to see the mentally ill toxic players in QP are still around

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i hate this game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
everygame is enemy team is perfect while my team is rear end! gently caress!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its just me as tank & two healers trying desperately to win while our dps eat glue and spin around chasing their tails like a 3 legged dog thats been kicked too many times

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i bitched im ok now

OR AM I?!

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
switching from open to role competitive. let's see how this poo poo goes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just want to play! Game keeps freezing in early match so I end up spinning in a circle firing randomly. I set graphics to medium to see if that would help, my PC is six years old, but runs Apex Legends fine.

It did not help.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I feel like if Tracer's ult can end up with her killing herself, then I think McCree's new homing grenade should as well.

If nothing else, it'd be really, really funny.

"Gotcha! BWAAAUGHAWA!"

E: I feel like the ping button is finicky on healers when trying to ping the control point.

It seems like there's an arbitrary distance (can't be too far or close) where the ping will actually indicate to attack or defend the control point instead of saying "come to me for healing!"

E2: Also, is there a better button to remap the ping function? It's annoying using it as Mercy since I also have weapon swap mapped to the mouse wheel scroll, so I'll accidentally swap weapons and lose my healing beam at a critical moment when I was just trying to ping an enemy.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 10, 2022

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
sorry everyone else, my team is the good team. just had a genji who was like "hows everyone lovin the game. my friend dva is new" and i played lucio and held down SPEED MODE and we killed everyone ever. next game i playing zenyatta so well the server crashed lol

i'll let you guys have the good teammates eventually. keep your head up!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Quotey posted:

sorry everyone else, my team is the good team. just had a genji who was like "hows everyone lovin the game. my friend dva is new" and i played lucio and held down SPEED MODE and we killed everyone ever. next game i playing zenyatta so well the server crashed lol

i'll let you guys have the good teammates eventually. keep your head up!

well knock it off

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I feel like if Tracer's ult can end up with her killing herself, then I think McCree's new homing grenade should as well.

If nothing else, it'd be really, really funny.

"Gotcha! BWAAAUGHAWA!"

It does. A McCree died to me this way last night when I just kept running at him after it attached.

Looks like it does 28-33 damage to self in the practice range right now.

Chinatown posted:

nice to see the mentally ill toxic players in QP are still around
Most of my QP games are dead silent, but the toxic people are crawling out of their caves to try to make the game miserable for everyone else again. Still nary a GG after any match though.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
what the gently caress? there's different ranks for role and open queues?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've mostly just been playing Mystery Heroes and having fun with it. I've had some weirdly fantastic games with Reaper and Ashe, which are not two characters I anticipated ever performing well with.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

DoctorJones posted:

what the gently caress? there's different ranks for role and open queues?

There's different ranks for tanks, heals and dps and role queue. You can be grandmaster tank and bronze healer if you want

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im seriosuly really tired of this game literally already

like its good i like it its OW1+ but this new poo poo is nonsense they did not give a loving thought to how itd work

EVERY COMPET GAME I PLAY has the enemy team with 20+ elims each even healers

what the gently caress am i supposed to do? what am i supposed to learn? its just dogshit sojurn + any other dps just railgunning my whole team i cannot protect anyone in this game as tank you have to have your team follow and no one fuckingdoes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There should be a version of role queue where everyone queuing is "All Roles" and it randomly assigns you, still using the 1T, 2D, 2S distribution.

I like playing All Roles but I still wanna play a tank at least some of the time. :sigh:

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The tanks job is to "make space" (awful esports speak for pushing forward or stopping people by being places that are strategically advantageous) - DVA and Winston excel at shutting down problematic dps, doomfist is good too if you're super nerdy about his specific mechanics. You need to "protect" people by making the dps and suport dead or distracted or unable to find flanks and your dps need to win these advantageous duels or kill supports or punish vulnerable tanks. Rein and sigma and orisa are mostly about being a pushing force. You want to swap actively to respond to the enemy team.

DVa is probably the strongest tank and best to learn on in that she can flipflop between everything, turn around and defense matrix across a sight line, brawl like crazy, do whatever.

Your team isn't really meant to follow you for long periods of time

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

verbal enema posted:

im seriosuly really tired of this game literally already

like its good i like it its OW1+ but this new poo poo is nonsense they did not give a loving thought to how itd work

what the gently caress am i supposed to do? what am i supposed to learn? its just dogshit sojurn + any other dps just railgunning my whole team i cannot protect anyone in this game as tank you have to have your team follow and no one fuckingdoes

Do better

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dude gently caress off

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

verbal enema posted:

what the gently caress am i supposed to do?

this is, regrettably, the nature of competitive multiplayer games

just like in league, the only way to climb is to overperform for your MMR bracket and swing slightly more games in your favor through individual skill than you lose. play a tank with good damage and pick potential like roadhog/junker queen, play a DPS with a lot of individual agency like genji, or play a healer with good damage/utility like moira or zenyatta

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Im queuing qp with a 5 stack with three new players and we are getting rolled a lot but its amazing how well the newbies are improving playing in a group with comms and quite frankly theyll probably be better than me by the time we start comp

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Healthiest way to live with comp is to see it as a mode with more challenging games where you’re trying to perfect your own game. Your team isn’t helping? Doesn’t matter, you need to focus on your own game or phone it in so you can “gg, next.”

For this reason, a number of people end up climbing better when they keep calm and treat it like a single player FPS. Pinging is supposed to help but we’ll see how that goes after a month.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
this thread is insane, I've never seen such condensed "always team"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played an open role comp game because I was hoping it worked for once. It was a total slaughter, though I have no idea how much I contributed in the end. The teams started out a random assortment of roles, but by the second round both teams were 2T, 2D, 1S and it felt pretty good for us down in the trashcan tier. One tank is fine I guess, but having two meaty sluggers per team is more fun.

Also no one talked or typed, but pings did seem to attract the attention of everyone enough that heroes were getting deleted. Here's hoping it stays that way.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If you're actually bad at the game, are you supposed to play damage dealers because the rest of your team is likely worse? I've been playing support and have only won like once in the past 10ish games.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I've been playing support but if I get out of position I just get instantly merc'd which is probably fair so I'm having trouble. I'm also having trouble aiming so I'm pretty sure I'm just making everyone lose.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If you're actually bad at the game, are you supposed to play damage dealers because the rest of your team is likely worse? I've been playing support and have only won like once in the past 10ish games.

One of the big design goals of Overwatch was to provide heroes in every role that are mechanically simpler and less demanding for players that aren't good at aiming/FPS mechanics. It's arguable how well they executed on that, but there are definitely characters that are very straightforward in every role that let you focus more on the game state and overall situation than clicking heads or clutching narrow timing windows with abilities. Tank - Rein, DPS Sym/Torb/Junk/Mei, Healing - Mercy/Moira.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

verbal enema posted:

dude gently caress off

I feel an awful lot like you do, so you aren't alone.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Veev posted:

I've been playing support but if I get out of position I just get instantly merc'd which is probably fair so I'm having trouble. I'm also having trouble aiming so I'm pretty sure I'm just making everyone lose.

moira is a foolproof pick if you have trouble with positioning or aiming as support, as her shift is an absurdly good combination defense/mobility tool and all you really gotta think hard about is firing angles to avoid so you can maximize the uptime of your two beams. i'd say she has a lower ceiling than most other supports, but if consistency is your big issue then she's a quick fix

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I feel like that's become common knowledge because she is instantly taken most of my games.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I just enjoy teleport-dashing and telling people to touch my balls :cry:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you have a lovely team in the morning, you had a lovely team. If you have lovely teams all day, you are the lovely team.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Notched my 28th win tonight in comp with my bro and moved up into Gold 4. He's Silver 2 now. Lets gooooo. I started playing D.Va for the first time in the last couple sessions. 11 matches in, with a 67% win rate. Small sample size, but yeah, she's awesome. Figured I'd need to learn another tank to help displace annoying mobile DPS loving with my supports that JQ can't get to. Having loads of fun playing tank for the first time in comp after having spent so much time as support.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Have you been skipping ranks? I qualified at bronze 1 and then went silver 4 for going 6-1. I guess I skipped silver 5?

Also, I really started taking to Ana those 7 games. She is so impactful even if she is getting double dived.

headcase fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 10, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

headcase posted:

Have you been skipping ranks? I qualified at bronze 1 and then went silver 4 for going 6-1. I guess I skipped silver 5?

Also, I really started taking to Ana those 7 games. She is so impactful even if she is getting double dived.

Yeah I have. I started in Silver 5 after placements. After next batch of 7 wins, went into Silver 2, lost a bunch, won 7 more and got moved into Silver 1, lost a handful, won another 7 and got placed into Gold 4.

[edit] As an aside, over the course of all the matches I played, I started to see the limitations of my reckless af JQ play when up against good Rein, Winston, Orisa, and Sigma players lol. So much easier to play D.Va into those tanks for me.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 10, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I cant believe they made a whole new "game" and they still haven't fixed the bug where your death counts towards your own kill streak.

Its not a big deal but why

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You can try Moira or Mercy since those are the easiest supports. Moira is the best if you're gonna do solo queue since you can escape from all the people who will dive you as the rest of the team ignores helping you out. Mercy you just stick with someone so they kind of have to help you, and rezzing is big in lower ranked games. Brig, Bap, and Lucio would be the next tier up. Though with Brig what you want to do is kind of bodyguard your other support. Once you get used to wallriding with Lucio and switching between heals and speed he can become another DPS and assassinate some squishies, especially if the other team has bad aim.

But honestly I feel like the biggest way to impact the team is going tank. D.Va is really good and pretty simple to use. Take care of your healers, displace enemies, run over squishies and get them low or kill them outright. I also really like Junker Queen because she can self sustain a bunch without being a big target and ult battery for the other team like Roadhog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Its insane to me a quickplay unranked dps que can be over 3 min