Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This continues to point to "massive dumpster fire" energy but who knows, I love Glenn Howerton and I've been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the current crop of shows on arrival compared to promo materials.

\/\/ edit: god gently caress me for hoping

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
since I was just saying tepidly positive things about Velma: good lord, what an awful teaser. might as well have just been Mindy Kaling saying to the camera "consume this more diverse reboot of an existing WB IP to absolve your liberal guilt"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just let meta dialogue go back to its grave for another decade, I am begging anyone who will listen to please put it out of its misery.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just let meta dialogue go back to its grave for another decade, I am begging anyone who will listen to please put it out of its misery.

*looks at camera*

So THAT post happened...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Barry Convex posted:

why is Fred in a completely different art style

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1578100321477279744

anyway, at least this makes slightly more sense now that I know it's a Scooby-Doo show and not just an unrelated Mindy Kaling animated series pitch with an existing IP slapped onto it (I had heard somewhere that none of the other Mystery Inc. characters would appear, which obviously isn't the case). still not something that needs to exist, though
More Glenn Howerton is usually a good thing.
Richard Splett Shaggy sounds like a fun time.
Constance Wu as Asian Daphne sounds weirdly enticing too.

Weirdly enough, I know all these actors except Mindy Kaling. Looking it up I have seen virtually nothing with her in it. Apparently she was in that one Sunny episode where they started selling liberal tears (what got torn anyway?) to a Republican clientele, only to end up buying a Dennis Doll which spoke into their minds.
I remember her character, but not even her face...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Weirdly enough, I know all these actors except Mindy Kaling. Looking it up I have seen virtually nothing with her in it. Apparently she was in that one Sunny episode where they started selling liberal tears (what got torn anyway?) to a Republican clientele, only to end up buying a Dennis Doll which spoke into their minds.
I remember her character, but not even her face...

You've never seen The Office (US)?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's the trailer for Mindy Kaling's Velma

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Open Source Idiom posted:

You've never seen The Office (US)?

I've seen like 2 episodes at one point. Didn't grip me.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to watch that fx show chosen, it broke new ground with a white gay rapper and his friends trying to make it big.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ups_rail posted:

I really want to watch that fx show chosen, it broke new ground with a white gay rapper and his friends trying to make it big.

I've seen every episode, it's not very good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've seen every episode, it's not very good.

Will also second, the cast was the best part of it and even they could not carry the weight it placed on their shoulders. I'm convinced Chozen bombing is why FX killed the studio's next attempt (Cassius and Clay).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I dunno I thought Chozen was pretty okay and had some potential it could have reached if it had gotten another season

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Went to the Solar Opposites panel at NYCC today. Roiland was supposed to be there, but never showed up. :argh: (They joked that he was patient zero for a new strain of monkey pox. He's probably just hung over or something.) Regardless, McMahan and Uhlarik were there and were still fun despite the con host being so nervous, she looked like she was going to start popping out stress gooblers at any point.

They announced they were green lit for a fifth season. Season 4 is mostly done and they've already started writing season 5. Also, they showed an animatic from the upcoming season and gave some spoilers:
1. There's an episode where the whole family gets giant murder gooblers like Corvo's stress goobler from season 2(?). That was the animatic.
2. The Wall story is going to turn into a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy style Cold War story after a wall gets built, well in the Wall, and it splits into a secular side and a fascist theocracy side.
3. They're going to do more serialized family stories intermixing with the whole Silver Cop/Gold Cop storyline and discovering the actual history of the Shlorpians and what's the deal with all the asteroids.

No dates, though.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Elderly Velma and Marcie are putting together a jigsaw puzzle in the community room of a retirement home. A woman carrying a puppy introduces herself as Sharon and informs them that her mother, a community resident who previously organized bingo nights and potlucks, has died from a heart attack, and that night she had heard her shouting about the Reaper, but no one else thought anything of it because she had dementia, but she knows there has to be more to it. No signs of a break-in. Chuck, another senior living in the facility, says from his rocking chair that he saw the Reaper, too. Velma says that in these situations, there's only one thing to do.

Shaggy and Scooby are in the cafeteria line for dinner, putting together a four-foot tall BLT, light on the lettuce and tomato, to eat with his cholesterol medication that instructs "have with food". The guy at the lunch counter, Casey, says that he's a student at the local culinary school and that you can never build a BLT too tall. Suddenly, there's a loud clatter, and pots and pans are all over the kitchen floor. A man in a black robe and skeleton mask, carrying a scythe, runs out the door and swings it at Shaggy, he drops his sandwich, and then jumps out an open window and runs off. Scooby bites at the hem of the Reaper's robes, and Scooby's dentures fly out. "We're getting too old for this, Scoob."

Fred is in the apartment office renewing his lease. The apartment manager explains that there's an option for signing up for an automatic loan in case you can't pay your rent on time, and the compound interest is exorbitant, but some seniors take it in order to not lose an apartment that's rent-controlled. Velma, passing by and carrying a bag of groceries, notices a piece of lettuce stuck to the sole of the apartment manager's shoe.

Daphne spots Chuck leaving pamphlets near the front desk for another retirement facility, one where the management actually fixes the air conditioner on time and he doesn't have to call a plumber.

Sharon and Casey volunteer as bait, and the puppy quietly whimpers and tries to struggle its way out of her arm, until she opens the Scooby Snack container in her purse. That night, Sharon and Casey are dressed up like an elderly Daphne and Fred in the community room, leaning over the table. The Grim Reaper shatters the window. The Reaper swings his scythe at Casey's legs, who jumps over it and ducks under it. Sharon dodges left, dodges right, and for a minute they forget what they're doing and have a dance competition. The Reaper chases them through a series of open apartment doors. Fred yanks a rope, causing the net to enclose the Reaper and hoist him into the air. After the county sheriff arrives, Velma yanks the Reaper's mask off, revealing him to be the apartment owner trying to scare seniors into vacating their rent-controlled apartments.

With the aid of their new members, Mystery Inc. decides to resume business, and together they brainstorm an ad in the paper calling for help from young mystery solvers who are undaunted by that which pretends to be paranormal, good at putting together traps, observant, and/or hungry.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I like that they kept Freddy a dweeby white guy. Everyone else got a redesign but Freddy is a universal constant.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Scooby is now a ferret

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

galenanorth posted:

Elderly Velma and Marcie are putting together a jigsaw puzzle in the community room of a retirement home. A woman carrying a puppy introduces herself as Sharon and informs them that her mother, a community resident who previously organized bingo nights and potlucks, has died from a heart attack, and that night she had heard her shouting about the Reaper, but no one else thought anything of it because she had dementia, but she knows there has to be more to it. No signs of a break-in. Chuck, another senior living in the facility, says from his rocking chair that he saw the Reaper, too. Velma says that in these situations, there's only one thing to do.

Shaggy and Scooby are in the cafeteria line for dinner, putting together a four-foot tall BLT, light on the lettuce and tomato, to eat with his cholesterol medication that instructs "have with food". The guy at the lunch counter, Casey, says that he's a student at the local culinary school and that you can never build a BLT too tall. Suddenly, there's a loud clatter, and pots and pans are all over the kitchen floor. A man in a black robe and skeleton mask, carrying a scythe, runs out the door and swings it at Shaggy, he drops his sandwich, and then jumps out an open window and runs off. Scooby bites at the hem of the Reaper's robes, and Scooby's dentures fly out. "We're getting too old for this, Scoob."

Fred is in the apartment office renewing his lease. The apartment manager explains that there's an option for signing up for an automatic loan in case you can't pay your rent on time, and the compound interest is exorbitant, but some seniors take it in order to not lose an apartment that's rent-controlled. Velma, passing by and carrying a bag of groceries, notices a piece of lettuce stuck to the sole of the apartment manager's shoe.

Daphne spots Chuck leaving pamphlets near the front desk for another retirement facility, one where the management actually fixes the air conditioner on time and he doesn't have to call a plumber.

Sharon and Casey volunteer as bait, and the puppy quietly whimpers and tries to struggle its way out of her arm, until she opens the Scooby Snack container in her purse. That night, Sharon and Casey are dressed up like an elderly Daphne and Fred in the community room, leaning over the table. The Grim Reaper shatters the window. The Reaper swings his scythe at Casey's legs, who jumps over it and ducks under it. Sharon dodges left, dodges right, and for a minute they forget what they're doing and have a dance competition. The Reaper chases them through a series of open apartment doors. Fred yanks a rope, causing the net to enclose the Reaper and hoist him into the air. After the county sheriff arrives, Velma yanks the Reaper's mask off, revealing him to be the apartment owner trying to scare seniors into vacating their rent-controlled apartments.

With the aid of their new members, Mystery Inc. decides to resume business, and together they brainstorm an ad in the paper calling for help from young mystery solvers who are undaunted by that which pretends to be paranormal, good at putting together traps, observant, and/or hungry.

Coming this fall to the CW...

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

since I was just saying tepidly positive things about Velma: good lord, what an awful teaser. might as well have just been Mindy Kaling saying to the camera "consume this more diverse reboot of an existing WB IP to absolve your liberal guilt"

Media that complains about people complaining about it is so goddamn tiresome.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
https://screenrant.com/velma-show-mindy-kaling-scooby-doo-absence-explained/

quote:

As revealed during the show's New York Comic-Con panel (via Polygon), Mindy Kaling's Velma show will not include Scooby-Doo. Showrunner Charlie Grandy indicated that the iconic Great Dane was considered at some point for the show, but there were two key factors for keeping him out of the adult animated series. “What made Scooby-Doo a kid show is Scooby-Doo. We couldn’t have a take on it, like how can we do this in a fun and modern way. [Our efforts] coincided with Warner Bros. Animation saying we can’t use the dog!”

okay so this was abso-loving-lutely an original pitch that they reverse-engineered into a Scooby show then, and also, I'm out. Scooby swearing is a cheap joke but it's still a joke.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Scooby sucks. But this show also looks like it kind of sucks so

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like if you can't come up with something for Scooby Doo in your loving Scooby Doo revamp then maybe you shouldn't be using the franchise?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

secretly best girl posted:

okay so this was abso-loving-lutely an original pitch that they reverse-engineered into a Scooby show then, and also, I'm out. Scooby swearing is a cheap joke but it's still a joke.

I don't really like Scooby-Doo much (or at least haven't since I was a little kid) so I wasn't really gonna watch this regardless but yeah, if you're gonna remake Scooby-doo, loving commit to the bit.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Media that complains about people complaining about it is so goddamn tiresome.

:agreed:

there was a time it was a novel idea but that time has long past

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 8, 2022

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goddamn Venture Brothers manage to put Scooby Doo and they can't think of a way to write him in?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 8, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crain posted:

I like that they kept Freddy a dweeby white guy. Everyone else got a redesign but Freddy is a universal constant.

There were some leaked character descriptions from a couple months ago that makes it really come off like the people making this really don't like the franchise or at least don't really understand it at all

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Ever since that Kelly Turnbull tweet, I can only think the reason they didn’t put Scooby in it (if I give them the benefit of the doubt that this was always a Velma project from the start) is that if they put Scooby in it, parents will assume it’s a kids show despite the gore, and then they have to deal with bad PR from parents complaining about the show not meant for them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cartoons123 posted:

Ever since that Kelly Turnbull tweet, I can only think the reason they didn’t put Scooby in it (if I give them the benefit of the doubt that this was always a Velma project from the start) is that if they put Scooby in it, parents will assume it’s a kids show despite the gore, and then they have to deal with bad PR from parents complaining about the show not meant for them.

...honestly? Fair point.

Though that does still lead back to the question of why this is a Scooby-Doo project in the first place

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe Kaling had something she really wanted to say about Velma?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There’s a non-zero chance that this is like Harley Quinn, in that it’s actually really good but nobody knows how to market it at all

But all of this?
That trailer, those character designs, the loving soulless Twitter thread announcing the entire voice cast?
I do not have high hopes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm still convinced that someone at WB is just extremely horny for Velma, and they couldn't care less about anything else. Remember she also got a weird live-action movie too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They said no Scooby Doo, but didn't say no Scrappy Doo.

It's his time to finally be redeemed!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Electric Phantasm posted:

If this leads to a Netflix Cowboy Bebop style "reveal" of Scrappy-Doo over the last thirty seconds of the season I'm going to be very cross with you

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

And they said nothing about his expansive family, like:

Scooby Dum, Scooby's stupid cousin.

Yabba Doo, Scrappy's hick uncle who has never appeared on screen with Scooby.

Scooby Dee, Scooby's movie star cousin who...according to this site both Scooby and Scrappy have the hots for? Wild.

And many more!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Went to the NYCC panel for Genndy Tartakovsky a bit ago and got to see the first look at his new Unicorn show - it looks pretty bonkers and I was initially a bit skeptical. After a bit though, the goofy steampunk robot grew on me and I'm pretty pumped to see where it goes. It has that kind of sparing, slightly awkward dialogue of samurai jack, but is still more story driven.

I can share more details if people are interested, but wasn't sure about spoilers and whatnot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If this leads to a Netflix Cowboy Bebop style "reveal" of Scrappy-Doo over the last thirty seconds of the season I'm going to be very cross with you

It’s actually going to be mother loving Flim Flam all up in the mother fucker for season 2 and it’s all just a stealth pilot season for The 14 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Warbird posted:

It’s actually going to be mother loving Flim Flam all up in the mother fucker for season 2 and it’s all just a stealth pilot season for The 14 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo.

They did a direct-to-DVD 13th ghost movie in 2019 to wrap up that series. It had a grown-up Flim Flam.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator posted:

Went to the NYCC panel for Genndy Tartakovsky a bit ago and got to see the first look at his new Unicorn show - it looks pretty bonkers and I was initially a bit skeptical. After a bit though, the goofy steampunk robot grew on me and I'm pretty pumped to see where it goes. It has that kind of sparing, slightly awkward dialogue of samurai jack, but is still more story driven.

I can share more details if people are interested, but wasn't sure about spoilers and whatnot.

I didn't even know he was working on a new show, but by all means share

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Fowl posted:

And many more!

Heck it, just go full Wacky Races.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, some of the ideas sound ok but it sounds like outside velma, they are just making all the other characters compeletly different people but with the gangs names pasted on, could it be good, sure, but i kinda want to see classic shaggy and scooby in an adult cartoon if it was written cleverly(coin toss if this is) and

Sockser posted:

There’s a non-zero chance that this is like Harley Quinn, in that it’s actually really good but nobody knows how to market it at all

But all of this?
That trailer, those character designs, the loving soulless Twitter thread announcing the entire voice cast?
I do not have high hopes.

i mean harley quinn understood what made the DC comic poo poo work and then basicaly made it about relationship problems and venture brotherd it, did it always click no, but it had fun with the concepts and poo poo. this just looks like "well velma is a tumblr nerd who swears and then we kinda made up new characters and put the gangs name on them". also adult scooby doo feels unneeded outside maybe a weird adult swim one off joke.

Dawgstar posted:

Heck it, just go full Wacky Races.

honestly adult wacky races could be good, keep it weird and surreal and poo poo.

anyway speaking of good adult cartoons

new helluva boss, mostly the one they teased at that con(that i was at)
https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1575793493452070912

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, the elephant in the room I've been stuck on with Velma is that it feels like when they made the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air a drama. Something that's a fun bit isn't automatically a good candidate for a full show.

When I was a teenager it was funny for early Family Guy to have The Scooby-Doo Murder Files where they look at a mutilated corpse and translate Scooby's "ruh-roh" as "Yeah, you're right. We're looking for one real, sick son of a bitch Scoob." Except that was a 45-second joke.

I'm really struggling to see adult Scooby-Doo working for a full-length season unless it's just another series with some Scooby-Doo paint slapped on it. Happy to be wrong, but it's not inspiring confidence right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Will also second, the cast was the best part of it and even they could not carry the weight it placed on their shoulders. I'm convinced Chozen bombing is why FX killed the studio's next attempt (Cassius and Clay).

So the episode of chozen where they try to get in with kids show dude, and theres a freaky party and this one dude has a thing for cucking and is like in the room cheering the dude on to bone his wife.

I couldnt stop laughing at how stupid it was then I learned about cucking.... he also used some dude in a grape costumes mouth as an ash tray