Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Something like this https://www.printables.com/model/64667-router-attachment-for-rotary-tool to keep the bit flat and square to the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just looked at their rates for "actually we've decided this was an installation issue after all" and cancelled the call out. I'm not risking having to pay someone £350 to move a piece of metal 10mm.

I'll need to figure the best way to mill out some aluminium in-situ but I'm sure I can figure something out.

I've done this before with one of the carbide ball end mill type bits and a dremel (cylinder bit might even be better)

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-26150194JA-High-Speed-Milling-2-Piece/dp/B0035PW122?th=1

Dremel sell those "router" attachments pretty cheaply too but not sure it would be useful going into that groove. Just try to do it in a way that the cut edges will be mostly covered by the metal plate ;)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mustered a bit of energy to do some workshop work.

Hose purchased for dehumidifier.

Hooked up.

Fed outside.

Now it can run unimpeded, though I left it set relatively low, as the building isn't fully sealed yet and in the words of dads everywhere, I'm not trying to air condition the entire planet.

Also took some measurements for the door supplier, to move along that issue. I was going to do a bit more on the housewrap but I can't find my 8m tape measure. I'll have to use a filthy mudblood half-imperial one until it shows up.

Also, this sunflower(?) decided to start growing unprompted in my garden. It seems a bit wilty but that's on whatever force put a seed there, I guess.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What is this for? To dry everything out?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is this for? To dry everything out?

Yeah. The insulation bags were outside over winter and the floor was exposed to the elements a lot, so I want to get everything stabilised before I start putting it in the walls.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Door company have agreed to replace the door threshold without risk to my bank account.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ha! Good.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Door company have agreed to replace the door threshold without risk to my bank account.

As they should, glad to hear

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Now it can run unimpeded, though I left it set relatively low, as the building isn't fully sealed yet and in the words of dads everywhere, I'm not trying to air condition the entire planet.

It was entirely too much fun to call up my dad after buying my first home, and standing in the open front door with the AC on, telling him what I was doing. He laughed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a dry and clear day, perfect for the stuff I need to get done, but I am plum (plumb?) out of energy. Such is the way with evenings/weekends.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah Saturday is recuperation day

Sunday is DIY day

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so here's what we're dealing with.

Going to need the ladder for this, and I'm going to need it to not tear through the housewrap, so I need to at least bodge a cover for the bit of the ladder that's had no plastic cap since the builders lost it somehow years ago.

Cut another length of housewrap, then ran it back through using the roll as a weight to help control it, and pulled it through, running scissors along it to cut it to width.

Turned out fine, much easier than trying to wrangle it by hand, and easier than having to cut it while it's on the wall.

Double-sided tape in place.

Staped.

Taped.

And a bit of attention on the corners.

And here's where we're at.

I still need to do the angled sides, and there's still bits to tape down all over the place (including overlap from the roofing membrane), but every piece of bare wood that gets covered makes me feel a bit better going into winter.

The big forehead on the building is beginning to show more now, I really wish I'd been able to do it the other way round as originally designed, but I'll probably put bee-friendly hanging planters on there or something like that. That'll be nice.

Also had some more garden maintenance folk around, just trying to get a quote for the most basic grass maintenance, "about £200" he says. I'm going to have to find time to do it myself. It's like 3 hours work max.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

But yourself some old pub sign lettering or something and write JBs workshop across it's forehead

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I desperately don’t want a real world meme that only you chumps would understand but I have to explain to my mum.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What are you finishing the exterior with and what color? If it's a lighter color could you run dark trim at the top to trick the eye?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Dave posted:

What are you finishing the exterior with and what color? If it's a lighter color could you run dark trim at the top to trick the eye?

Perhaps. Current plan is white PVC.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think the hanging baskets or bird boxes or whatever will do the job and provide some nice things too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Birdbox thread when?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
no build the loving stairs next

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

There is a 100% chance the first thing JB builds once the workshop is finished is a roubo bench

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What’s a roubo bench?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

What’s a roubo bench?

https://youtu.be/nu91nt15F8U

Proper workbench for joinery, designed to be really heavy and with lots of work piece holding options.

If you want to make stairs you need one of these I reckon

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
If you wish to make stairs from scratch, you must first invent the universe

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Gasmask posted:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The bird boxes are an integral step towards the stairs you fools

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gasmask posted:

JB's long-con bit is to never build the stairs and eventually destroy the SA forums from our collective lack of protection.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like my workbench. I need to fit the router table insert, but no, no new bench.

At most it'll be workshop storage, and the raised garden beds so I can start the ball rolling on the paths.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

build the stairs but tiny and only for the birds

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

everdave posted:

The bird boxes are an integral step towards the stairs you fools

not dead yet posted:

build the stairs but tiny and only for the birds

protection for everyone.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Awkward posted:

protection for everyone.

Would definitely walk up these.

Shaking the lunch crumbs from my goon body and clothing as I go.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The early bird gets the penthouse.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Service visit has happened, confirmed not my fault, they made it slightly trapezoidal. They’re going to make new ones and replace it.

Apparently they’ve been having a spate of these so something’s up at the factory. I don’t mind problems, but this is the most basic QA possible; make sure the doors can close and lock before shipping. Both my doors and some other unfortunate customer’s doors he had on his van would’ve failed that check.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vim Fuego posted:

If you wish to make stairs from scratch, you must first invent the universe

<insert Captain America "I understood that reference!" meme>

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’ve been offered either a service call to have the doors refitted in a couple of months, or have them delivered sooner but I have to refit them myself. I opted for the service call.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In tangential house news, I FINALLY have an install date for FTTP internet, only 7 months late.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Went into the workshop for the first time in a month to discover a) I'd left a fan on and b) there was a loop in the dehumidifier hose that stopped it from draining, so it hadn't been doing anything for four weeks.

Fixed that then went to the main job of the day which was to wrap the angled gables.

This is the most important of the two, as it faces the bulk of the wind and rain.

Annoying but not too bad. Scissors are awkward tools when cutting things in situ but I can't use a knife without risking cutting the material underneath.

On the other side, another mild annoyance is my tape roll ran out with like 2m left to do, fortunately I had a backup one (this tape is £20/roll).

With a bit of overlapping I managed to use the offcut from the other side so no extra cutting on this side, and since even that piece was an offcut from when I did the front, this has been a very efficient use of materials.

I still need to tape some seams but not urgently. The housewrap is now 99% done and the structure is 95% weatherproof. Good enough for me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh and I nipped next door into the neighbour’s garden (still empty, unfurnished) and stuck a cheeky bit o tape over the sensor on their garden light that faces my house and goes off all night because of a shrub waving in front of it.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
good

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol heroic move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Very crafty with the lamp when something is bothersome like that over here in the states we just shoot at it