Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1579227765454548992

LOL and Ty Smith didn't even make the Pens. Absolute steal of a trade by the Devils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

LOL and Ty Smith didn't even make the Pens. Absolute steal of a trade by the Devils.

He had a good enough camp and should have made it but the Pens can't afford to keep him up and he's the only player they have that can pass through waivers. POJ (who he outplayed) cannot pass through waivers.

By merit he should be up, but he got caught in a cap squeeze. I think the Pens will still try to trade POJ or someone else to make room for Smith because he was good in camp but they haven't been able to do it yet.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah that's definitely a matter of POJ needs and won't clear waivers and Smith doesn't. He definitely had the better camp but he'll be back up sooner than later I'm sure.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Ian Cole should be immediately cut and the league should permanently suspend him

Strike his name off the cup, remove all memory of him entirely. That is the best thing to do to these predators: remove them from the history of the game forever, except to leave a record of why they were erased so everyone knows the cost for behaving this way

Sports have a very narrow window to start to pay attention to this topic. Parents are already to pull their kids from sport because of this and the grassroots orgs are losing support at a rapid pace. The writing is on the wall and it’s either time to loudly renounce this behaviour and embrace change or face the consequences

Or do nothing and how it blows over. It might work because people have no attention span anymore

I still haven’t watched an NHL game after the Blackhawks scandal and my kids know why they haven’t either. That’s not changing for this upcoming season either. I’m perfectly content to remove the some of the next generation of fans of hockey if they don’t figure their poo poo out

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah that's definitely a matter of POJ needs and won't clear waivers and Smith doesn't. He definitely had the better camp but he'll be back up sooner than later I'm sure.

I imagine they're already trying to clear cap to play Smith

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I’d like to add that it’s exhausting to try to counter the “boys will be boys “ mentality and raise sons to be good, honest men. It’s not hard to actually do. You can simply teach them that no means no and that the word “no” has power and meaning

It seems beyond many people and I don’t understand why

Number19 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 9, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All of that and dude belongs penniless in prison and on a sex offender registry.
Normally I could see "suspend while investigating" but given the cheating poo poo he got caught shamelessly involved in when he was on the Canes there's zero reason to give him a presumption of innocence on this, he's clearly a loving scumbag

and the teammates that knew sure as poo poo should come forward and take their medicine, too

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

All of that and dude belongs penniless in prison and on a sex offender registry.
Normally I could see "suspend while investigating" but given the cheating poo poo he got caught shamelessly involved in when he was on the Canes there's zero reason to give him a presumption of innocence on this, he's clearly a loving scumbag

and the teammates that knew sure as poo poo should come forward and take their medicine, too

The whole culture is toxic and relies on the silence of others. Silence is not an option anymore and those who do not speak up are equally as complicit as the abusers

Burn it all down

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I am shocked, shocked, to learn the Carolina Hurricanes are employing a scumbag.

Teammates such as, for instance, Sidney Crosby, or Kris Letang?

I think I speak for Penguins fans everywhere when I say I prefer not to think about this and don't want to know that the superstars that brought so much hockey awesomeness to my team are in all probability extremely complicit in the endless pattern of rape and assault in hockey.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 9, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mcmagic posted:

Enjoy your 4 million+ a year barely 2nd pairing defenseman. Smith 'Didn't make the team' because he can clear enough cap for the Pens to be compliant. PoJ wasn't noticeable in positive or negative way for most of camp but showed up in a big way against Buffalo for the last preseason game. Smith has shown his offensive upside, but also his Matheson'esque downside of losing awareness of players while staring at the puck in the defensive zone.

The bigger driver behind this is that Petry/Pettersson have been exceedingly awful as a pairing. If Sullivan wants to bury Pettersson/Rutta in D Zone starts and Petry/PoJ as 50/50s or O zone only that would probably work ok. I remain very hesitant of trading PoJ only for the reason that the Penguins have no other left handers on the backside that approach looking ready for the NHL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like paying 4mm for a 2nd pair D who is going to be 3rd pair next year is mainly fine? I could see him being traded after the season if he has a good one too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I am shocked, shocked, to learn the Carolina Hurricanes are employing a scumbag.

He’s with Tampa now.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1579178002554183680

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1579178005242740736

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1579178007667044356

Hello naughty children, it's waiver time again

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

There are some rather serious rumours that Cole bragged about this to other players on his team (Carolina?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

There are some rather serious rumours that Cole bragged about this to other players on his team (Carolina?)

He only played for them last year. This would have been with St Louis or Pittsburgh.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

grack posted:

yeah this is not surprising but incredibly disturbing, the idea that he was telling teammates that he was hooking up with minors and no one did anything is hosed

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There seems to be some confusion. Cole was bragging to his Carolina teammates about cheating on his wife with the Hurricanes sideline reporter. He was bragging to St. Louis teammates about grooming a child. Presumably he did something lovely on his stop in Pittsburgh too.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 10, 2022

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
efb

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

clean ayers act posted:

in the statement she alleges one of cole's former teammates told her cole bragged about hooking up with her to teammates

Well we know Cole got married in 2015, when he was still with the Blues, and in the statement the woman talks about he's bragging about all the women who he's not actually dating. She also mentions he'd only been in the NHL for "a few years" So it seems logical to assume this all stems from his time there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well we know Cole got married in 2015, when he was still with the Blues, and in the statement the woman talks about he's bragging about all the women who he's not actually dating. She also mentions he'd only been in the NHL for "a few years" So it seems logical to assume this all stems from his time there.

You should just assume that like 90% of pro athletes are stepping out. It's the minor issue that makes this different.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You should just assume that like 90% of pre athletes are stepping out.

hi which online sports book should I visit to bet the over on this

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
We’re focused on the NHL here but I don’t doubt this is rampant in all major mens sports. Players told from the time that they’re kids how special they are and can do no wrong and deserve to be able to do this stuff

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My only significant experience interacting with pro athletes is actually in baseball, but it's absolutely every bit as much an epidemic there.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/joesmithnhl/status/1579263543718793216?s=46&t=te7N6Az-YMBAXb2fVMIalQ

Right move, hope he faces actual legal consequences for what happened though

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

My only significant experience interacting with pro athletes is actually in baseball, but it's absolutely every bit as much an epidemic there.

There was a major scandal in my extended friends circle from a woman who had nude pictures leak, but it didn't come from her phone - it came from her athlete boyfriend's phone, along with a bunch of other random pictures of local women.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1579262808944148480

I'm not sure if there's issues with the cap or union if they were to straight cut ties now so it's hard to comment on the logistics, but this is a fine start.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Remember when Toronto traded a first round pick to get Nick Foligno?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

CBJSprague24 posted:

Remember when Toronto traded a first round pick to get Nick Foligno?

putting foligno on waivers is definitely some kind of deadly trojan horse trap to make the blue jackets worse

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/joesmithnhl/status/1579263543718793216?s=46&t=te7N6Az-YMBAXb2fVMIalQ

Doesn’t really mean anything yet, but still, good, and get hosed rear end in a top hat.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The Dirty Burger posted:

there's basically zero chance unfortunately, unless she actually was below the age of consent, which I guess is 17 in MO. it's a loving nightmare to prove that kind of abuse/grooming/coercion in the best of cases.

really, really, really hope the NHLPA can read the goddamn room after the HC bullshit and doesn't try to die on a hearsay hill.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Big Leg posted:

putting foligno on waivers is definitely some kind of deadly trojan horse trap to make the blue jackets worse

The athletic's bruins writer thinks there's a chance he could be reunited with torts in Philly, which would be a hell of a thing

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

really, really, really hope the NHLPA can read the goddamn room after the HC bullshit and doesn't try to die on a hearsay hill.

This isn't how a union works nor should it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

there's basically zero chance unfortunately, unless she actually was below the age of consent, which I guess is 17 in MO. it's a loving nightmare to prove that kind of abuse/grooming/coercion in the best of cases.

Google "NFLPA Deshaun Watson"

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m surprised the Lightning actually did take action that quick. I’m sure the process and rest of the world will disappoint me to no end still but that’s something

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1579280545682698240

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
gently caress Ian Cole

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
More gross poo poo. :sigh:

https://twitter.com/Condors/status/1579302080921362432

At least they poo poo canned him immediately.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Whatever happened with the Willie Mitchell thing? They're still investigating that?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous tweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Anonymous tweet?

I mean I think he's a shitter and probably did it based on all the stories surrounding him, but it likely is an anonymous or pseudonym account. The account was made less than a month ago, with only that tweet, and the name might as well be Jane Doe. Which makes sense! I'm sure she is facing threats and harassment and I wouldn't want to use my real name either.