Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The 7th Guest posted:

Cassette Beasts (thumbs up, added to wishlist): Aw hell yea, GODOT Engine representation in the next fest. This one's by the dev of Lenna's Inception and it's their take on monster capturing and battling. I'll definitely support them based on the quality of that. The demo itself is the beginning because, as is the case for this whole dang festival, every demo seems to just be the opening chapter and not a later slice of the game. An amenity in this game is that while you are attempting to capture a pokemon, they can't run away or be knocked out. Also seems like they might use pokemon abilities in a Metroidvania way, MAYBE (it is by the dev of a Zeldalike after all). Apparently you'll also be able to unequip moves and give them to other monsters as you like. I am not generally a Poke-player-- when I see a Pokemon trailer I just go 'oh that looks neat' rather than "I CANT BELIEVE GAME FREAK RUINED POKEMON AND MY CHILDHOOD AGAIN" like most weirdos online. So I guess my opinion can't be trusted here. But the game seems neat.

I'll have to keep an eye on this one, as I liked Lenna's Inception even if it was a bit disappointing in some regards. It is more than a little heavy handed with the Zelda references at the start.

I wonder how close to being finished it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

You guys were right on Brotato. I thought I was burnt out by VS/20 Min/Boneyard but this poo poo is fresh and addictive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sloppy posted:

You guys were right on Brotato. I thought I was burnt out by VS/20 Min/Boneyard but this poo poo is fresh and addictive.

Is there progression? I can’t really tell.

Edit: gently caress it it’s $5 I’ll just get it

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Is there progression? I can’t really tell.

Edit: gently caress it it’s $5 I’ll just get it

There's unlocks of different starting Mr. Potatoheads based on achievements as well as additional difficulties, but no meta-progression currency.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oenis posted:

There's unlocks of different starting Mr. Potatoheads based on achievements as well as additional difficulties, but no meta-progression currency.

Yeah got it.

Game is pretty good so far! Definitely a good $5 spent.

Brotato is a great deck game too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Brotato runs better on my lovely laptop than Vampire Survivors does which is nice.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

DEAD LETTER DEPT.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1627350/DEAD_LETTER_DEPT/?utm_source=rGamesIS

Spooky typing game with a demo available.

quote:

DAY TO DAY, you go to work & process the images displayed on your terminal, and type up whatever text is in front of you.
Whatever can be made out, that is. Letters and lost mail, some mangled and twisted, that have travelled from place to place with nowhere else to go.
Sometimes the mail you receive is a little strange. Sometimes, it feels like it's talking to you directly through the screen.

DEAD LETTER DEPT. is a short horror game mystery experience, where you use your computer keyboard to type in various prompts, and attempt to decipher damaged images as oddities begin to appear.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trying out Manor Lords finally;

I have only 3 Stalls, why 9 of my dudes want to work in the Stalls?? I even disabled the "Idle Labourers" setting for each of my Stalls which I assumed was what was causing this, but nope...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Commander Keene posted:

With or without the VMU beep?

Is it even a Dreamcast without the VMU battery beep and the disc drive screeching?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Easy peasy

https://twitter.com/everdraed/status/1579237793967939586?s=46&t=SMI3v8qqkUi0cxhByf6HmQ

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Picked up Dome Keeper a few days after release and then SteamWorld Dig 2 since it had been on my radar for a while and it's on sale for $5. Good time for gaming if you're someone who liked the flash game Motherload from like 20 years ago.

Dome Keeper held my attention for much longer than I expected. It's kind of barebones for a game that's out of early access now, but even with only one character and two dome types there's enough variation that runs stay interesting. Lots of different achievements that incentivize you to play differently, some quite difficult to obtain. Perfect game for playing while listening to a podcast, there's another character coming out some time soon and I hope they expand it further beyond that.

SteamWold Dig 2 is a great, relatively short game that does a lot with the limited square grid digging format. I thought it was a procedurally generated infinite-loot type of game but it's actually crafted levels with a story, something more akin to Ori and the Blind Forest but with digging. Didn't really know what to expect from it since I never played the first one but it has great level design and a lot of the puzzle caves are genuinely clever. Really rewards paying close attention and helpfully puts check marks on the puzzle caves to let you know you've found everything there. Kind of like Hollow Knight where you feel limited by your movement options early on until you start unlocking stuff like the grappling hook and jetpack which let you go anywhere you want. Never really hear much about this game even though it has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam, one of the best $5 I've spent.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Flimf posted:

DEAD LETTER DEPT.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1627350/DEAD_LETTER_DEPT/?utm_source=rGamesIS

Spooky typing game with a demo available.

Looks fun, but I'm too stupid for it. I have absolutely no idea how to progress on the third letter (postcard).

edit; I figured it out and am stupid, but they could have eased me into it by having a letter without 400 postmarks and obscured addresses on it teach me!

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 10, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure I've ever encountered a game that tells me the release date is "SUPPORT BY WISHLISTING NOW"

So uh I guess that means I won't be playing it this Halloween. Too bad, I want that Stories Untold vibe.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm not sure I've ever encountered a game that tells me the release date is "SUPPORT BY WISHLISTING NOW"

So uh I guess that means I won't be playing it this Halloween. Too bad, I want that Stories Untold vibe.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are the vermintide games just coop hoard shooting games like left 4 dead and killing floor or do they have more of a fleshed out single player mode with drop-in coop like borderlands?

Basically are they more like a coop open world looter shooter or are they closer to a coop arena survival shooter?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FirstAidKite posted:

Are the vermintide games just coop hoard shooting games like left 4 dead and killing floor or do they have more of a fleshed out single player mode with drop-in coop like borderlands?

Basically are they more like a coop open world looter shooter or are they closer to a coop arena survival shooter?

Left 4 Dead with more melee combat and rats.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Melee (mostly) L4D with RPG components

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Left 4 Dead with more melee combat and rats.

Not enough rats. They need to finally add the god drat versus mode.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FirstAidKite posted:

they're literally l4d but with melee weapons

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wish it was more of a singleplayer game. But yea as was said it's more Left 4 Warhammer. And I'm pretty sure Dorktide is the same but 40K and not Warhammer Fantasy / Age of Sigmar?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vermintide has some of the best first person melee out there and is probably its biggest selling point but it is very much tied to the 4 player L4D level format.

From reports dorktide is going to be more 50/50 on melee/ranged which feels like it’s losing some of its niche, but hopefully the priest class has enough melee competence that you can still get the vermintide feel

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I bought Beyond the Storm, the spiritual successor to Tyrian, and its pretty awful. No sense of progression, opaque mechanics, fiddly management, and high difficulty.

Anyone else try it and maybe able to tell me something I'm missing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How is Notia?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

How is Notia?

If you mean Noita, it's incredible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

If you mean Noita, it's incredible.

I did and thanks!

Gonna give it a shot then.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soak yourself in water at every opportunity, and embrace death.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MarcusSA posted:

How is Notia?

Think the falling sand game crossed with Cortex Command with crazy spell crafting.

It's a... fun toy I guess? But I felt like the unpredictability of the physics and the fact that nearly everything can kill you really hurt it as an actual game to "git gud" at.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Last Command, the new game by the Rabi-Ribi dev that combines boss rush and snake, comes out October 25th

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

How is Notia?

Not recommended. One of the most interesting games I’ve ever seen on a systemic level, but it kind of sucks to actually play.

it has very deep mechanics that let you do some extremely elaborate and gamebreaking things with its wand system and it strongly rewards you for taking advantage of your knowledge and figuring out how things work. Except in practice it actually discourages experimentation and taking steps to figure out those systems work, because it’s a game where a successful run or optional objective can take several hours to complete, but you can randomly explode 90 minutes in because of ??? and need to do CSI on a recording of the death to figure out what even happened. if the fancy wand you built with spells you haven’t seen before causes you to disintegrate then you got one data point out of an hour of effort. Meanwhile much of the gameplay before you build that godslaying wand is just really low-impact and crummy because the wands/spells you found might limit you to plinking away with low-damage inaccurate shots or creating hazards you have to slowly avoid or similar.

it does have a lot of mods and it’s possible it can be modded into something that isn’t a chore to learn, but I didn’t really want to bother after I had to quit a run because a single pixel of frozen blood somehow formed in the middle of my character and trapped me in place with no way to move or get rid of it, and a few runs later I was having a lot of success before I just blew up with no warning, and was left with absolutely no sense of “I did X wrong and should have chosen to do Y instead” no matter how many times I watched a replay of it. noita is an incredible set of procedural systems that entirely does not care about being a well-tuned videogame or, more damningly, actually fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You need a healthy sense of humor to laugh at all the times you get noita'd but I can't remember the last time I died without understanding why. Normally it's extremely clear.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Noita is a mixed bag for me. It's wacky and fun and there is some genuine brilliance in there when you start to unlock - and more importantly understand - truly busted spell interactions, but it's also absurdly frustrating to play if you intend to work towards a goal. Roguelites can deal you a bad hand occasionally. Noita is almost entirely bad hands. It's a bad hand factory that makes a nearly endless supply of smaller, badder hands. It becomes a chore at a certain point.

Edit: download the "edit wands everywhere" mod. It makes an optional perk into a permanent feature and really helps make the game more fun

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 10, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I didn't like Noita the first time I played it because it was hard and I died a lot. Eventually I tried it again and managed to clear the game once. From then on instead of even trying to clear I just gently caress around every single run and it is a blast. Highly recommend if you have any interest in crafting your own personal warcrime on a stick or if you appreciate games with lots of interlocking systems. There's a ton of mods on the workshop to play with as well.

The early game absolutely can be a chore and I recommend modding to start with tinker with wands everywhere, starting perk choices, and starting wands that aren't actual garbage if you're tired of slogging through the mines every run.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Noita has the sensibilities of an oldschool roguelike, so even if you know what you're doing it's easy to die because you didn't pay attention or were careless or something, but you can definitely get a grasp on things and start winning fairly consistently, and just like oldschool roguelikes it's very fun and rewarding once you reach that point.

There's also plenty of mods if you just want to use it as a fun sandbox, but I'd recommend it on the strength of the base game alone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've got one friend who played noita and everytime she talked about her deaths it was pretty funny.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

How is Notia?

It's good.

It took me learning a couple tricks for it to become super good, though. I'd recommend just starting off and playing around to understand the basics, and then you can get into stuff like spell wrapping, where by putting modifiers at the end of a wand you'll make them wrap around to the start of the wand and use spells there before recharging, getting double the uses out of a single spell. A setup as simple as this can be totally busted on even a mediocre wand:

(The slot 3 multicast modifier loops back to cast the Add Mana+Chainsaw a second time, doubling the benefits. Also Chainsaw is just extremely useful in general, it removes cast time if it's the last spell of a multicast).

And another useful tip is that you can keep the Holy Mountain from collapsing by teleporting/polymorphing past a particular hitbox that's signified by bricks in the background, which makes the Edit Wands Everywhere perk less of a necessity:

Noita is a rougelike that you shouldn't feel ashamed for scouring the wiki for info, it's just chock full of wild nonsense. For instance, you can exploit a particular enemy to get all the HP you'll ever want.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you can randomly explode 90 minutes in because of ??? and need to do CSI on a recording of the death to figure out what even happened.

That's half the fun

Had no idea what happened until I watched the replay over a few times. Killed and froze the shotgun guy, as I was dropping down to grab the lava flask his frozen body fell and broke it spraying the lava everywhere.

Other times the cause of death is more obvious.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Two things that really stuck with me about Noita:

- There is an absolutely absurd amount of secrets and hidden content. Multiple layers of it, too. The main breadcrumbed dungeon is only like 10% of the total game. However, it's also quite obscure and esoteric, so don't be afraid to dive into the wiki from time to time.
- The power ceiling is equally absurd. You start out as a level 1 adventurer, but if you live long enough, and crack the game's spell-building system enough, you can kill gods and delete the world with a single mouse click.

And it's goon-made :imunfunny:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Noita owns bones. It can feel unfair, but every situation can be analyzed to arrive at conclusions and strategies that'll keep you alive for longer the next run, as any good rougelike. Often, you die because you got very powerful and your reach exceeded your grasp and inspirational quotes are bullshit because that just leads to barreling directly into a thousand ways to die at light speed when you should've slowed down a bit. Anyway yeah it's good.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

$1 deals on fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/collections/dollar-collections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Kenshi talk earlier got me to buy it. After a starter character where I learned the basic controls and got killed for trespassing a ninja facility, I started a run with a couple of slaves who just keep breaking out of their shackles and prisons to steal things, free other prisoners, and punch people while the guards exhaust themselves trying to beat morale into them. It's the Hogan's Heroes simulator I've always wanted.

Great game to gently caress around in so far, even if playing it on the Deck is kinda awkward.