Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

One of the big design goals of Overwatch was to provide heroes in every role that are mechanically simpler and less demanding for players that aren't good at aiming/FPS mechanics. It's arguable how well they executed on that, but there are definitely characters that are very straightforward in every role that let you focus more on the game state and overall situation than clicking heads or clutching narrow timing windows with abilities. Tank - Rein, DPS Sym/Torb/Junk/Mei, Healing - Mercy/Moira.

You listed off a whole bunch of DPS heroes that are actually really hard to aim with. In fact, the reason why Torb is usually not very effective (at higher level games) is because he is so difficult to hit with precisely. Sym is way harder to aim with than in OW1 with all the changes in the game, including being way less durable to duel tanks. Mei's right click is another one of the hardest abilities in the game to actually land consistently. JR is probably the one DPS where aiming isn't really the same as other characters and much less mechanically difficult, but requires some level of thought and timing.

You'd probably want to also try Reaper if aiming is giving you a rough time. Or practice on Soldier until you can track better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BabyRyoga posted:

You listed off a whole bunch of DPS heroes that are actually really hard to aim with. In fact, the reason why Torb is usually not very effective (at higher level games) is because he is so difficult to hit with precisely. Sym is way harder to aim with than in OW1 with all the changes in the game, including being way less durable to duel tanks.

It's almost like Sym and Torb have turrets that do a lot of the work for you so you're not dependent on aiming. And Sym was not dueling tanks in 1 either. And they are easier, not easy.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 10, 2022

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Zarya's new "two charges, either shield" deal is so great. Being able to self-shield twice and just stand in front of my team face-tanking and melting faces all day is so much fun.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Zenyatta should be able to teleport short distances, for no other reason than I think it would be cool.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

It's almost like Sym and Torb have turrets that do a lot of the work for you so you're not dependent on aiming. And Sym was not dueling tanks in 1 either. And they are easier, not easy.

Dueling tanks in OW1 was specifically what Sym did, lol. She had infinite ammo against shields and barriers, and was less likely to die on the front line. You would basically duel with the tanks until their shield breaks, then push in, or go for a flank with your full beam. You can't do this in OW2 because she doesn't get ammo back anymore, she is way more vulnerable, and most tanks just have a button they can push to take essentially 0 damage from the beam for a period of time (which is actually more detrimental to the character than the lack of infinite ammo, I think). So, you need to use her TPs and snipe the enemy with alt fire from highground way more to be effective with her.

Turrets on both of those characters are more for anti-flank or taking space. The days of the TP turret bomb are long gone.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Just Chamber posted:

Is it me or does Doomfist feel really weak now? He just does not seem like a good tank.

I played him for the first time today.
Ironically same for Genji.

They both have similar-ish E ability but Genji’s is miles better. It lasts longer and never seems to get interrupted. But Dooms E seems to get interrupted all the time and it’s far far far too short in length. It would be nice if I could control the distance of his slam too.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Doomfist is p good, you can watch them poo poo on entire GM level teams on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evpGF3OhjM

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

It would be nice if I could control the distance of his slam too.

You can. Tilt up or down just like Winston jump.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Bottom Liner posted:

You can. Tilt up or down just like Winston jump.

I tried doing that but it doesn’t seem to be very effective? I’ll try again.
I’d prefer something more like how Sojourns slide works, where I just tap shift again to cut it short.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Doomfist is probably the weakest tank. Doesn't mean you can't dunk on people with him, though. Especially people who aren't used to the new doom.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Played three matches today and lost all of them. Common pattern is DPS players that think that the best way to push an advantage is to run up to enemy spawn and immediately die instead of just doing whatever the objective is, tank players who think that Tank means Large DPS Character, and at least one person every game that claims the healers aren’t healing enough.

Yep, this sure is Overwatch, still.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Hashy posted:

Doomfist is p good, you can watch them poo poo on entire GM level teams on youtube.

I’m a minute and a half in but why don’t the red team just stop shambling into the death punch room one by one and try to take the objective?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like the part at 1:22 where he lands a Meteor on like 4 or 5 in that small room and none of their health bars move and he immediately dies

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the part at 1:22 where he lands a Meteor on like 4 or 5 in that small room and none of their health bars move and he immediately dies
not only does he almost completely miss because they responded in the best possible way but its blocked by the zarya bubble

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't get mad when people miss or anything like that. I get mad when people ignore that this is a team game and don't communicate and act like it's a single player FPS where you're the main character and can solo the other team.

Like hey, I'm Ana and have no mobility. Please DPS or tank go dislodge that Soldier who is just free-firing at me from the high ground. No? You're just going to let him sit there all game and constantly kill us? Then get mad about not getting heals?

My tip is if you're not very good, please just at least stay with your team and don't go in when the team is down multiple players. And if you are a mobile hero, come back to the healers after going in, and don't just sit there complaining about not getting healed when the entire team looks your way and you stay there fighting way on the other side of where your healers are.

i wish every single hero in the game had a mobility skill. zenyatta and ana feel like they don't belong in the same game as moira and sojourn. at least give them wall run or let zenyatta levitate a bit or something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Minorkos posted:

i wish every single hero in the game had a mobility skill. zenyatta and ana feel like they don't belong in the same game as moira and sojourn. at least give them wall run or let zenyatta levitate a bit or something

yeah gundam has the right idea there, imo. everybody can dash, sprint, and hover. some suits can do more than that. you can still get caught out if you run out of your mobility resource but it always feels like you have an escape option if your reflexes are fast enough.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

No thank you. I'm crap at that movement poo poo. Just give me more power.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Minorkos posted:

Zenyatta does have a dodge, but you gotta kick someone first, lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh man I forgot about this

It's supposed to be "Early Access" except at one point they decided to drop that label without actually, you know, doing any of the work.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Give wallrun to everyone so that it doesn't feel vaguely orientalist that only japanese characters have it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Some very cool and much better designs imo

https://twitter.com/Overwatch2_NEWS/status/1579287612862255105?t=b-eHkSTR3VpAh5I8ghflSA&s=19

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Give Ana Widowmaker's zipline thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Give Ana jetpacks pls

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Oh man I forgot about this

It's supposed to be "Early Access" except at one point they decided to drop that label without actually, you know, doing any of the work.

I think the idea was that the whole of Overwatch 2 was going to have the pve stuff included so we're getting "early access" to the changes in pvp form so they can finally get new content out instead of waiting for pve to be finished. But we all know now that they pushed it out before pve was done so they can start selling battlepasses.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Those look great. I really don't like the Foxear hairband on the default skin.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Zzulu posted:

Give Ana jetpacks pls

Ana on a Professor X mobility scooter with rocket boosts? No legs, one eye and still sniping. :widowsnypa:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

adhuin posted:

Those look great. I really don't like the Foxear hairband on the default skin.

The lore though. THE LORE. It was given to her by the little axe girl :3:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

teagone posted:

The lore though. THE LORE. It was given to her by the little axe girl :3:

I'd rather wear... ugh ... Naruto headband.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Some legendary skins used to have bits of lore attached to them but now that's gone from the game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:rip: scatter arrow, you live on now forever in the Hanzo cinematic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teagone posted:

:rip: scatter arrow, you live on now forever in the Hanzo cinematic.

Orisa still has a Hero Intro where she uses her Shield and Hold abilities that don't exist, it makes no sense anymore.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Orisa still has a Hero Intro where she uses her Shield and Hold abilities that don't exist, it makes no sense anymore.

it will make sense again when they give her her shield back in the PvE in 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Torb has a highlight intro and at least one spray that reference upgraded turrets

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't know why it never ocurred to me they can just give back old abilities for PvE stuff. Scatter arrow's triumphant return is imminent!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

So how do you think they'll lock the Halloween event? Battlepass to play new Junkenstein?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So how do you think they'll lock the Halloween event? Battlepass to play new Junkenstein?

Junkenstein event will have it's own battlepass and heroes will have to be unlocked for it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

as junkenstein’s monster collapses to the cobblestones, sombra decloaks before the heroes, offering powerups and experience boosters in exchange for coins

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Hashy posted:

This video kinds proved he's not, especially if this is a so called "god" of Doomfist. He's a pretty bad dps and a bad tank, he's in a weird middle ground where he's just not really good at either.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Have people made any tier lists of the characters yet? Are there any obviously underperforming heroes and overpowerforming heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bleck posted:

Zenyatta should be able to teleport short distances, for no other reason than I think it would be cool.

Kicking the ground should send you flying a-la Baptiste.