Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There might be some worries over kids swallowing things, but I vaguely remember last time I looked into it, back during the height of Mighty Max and copycat little playsets, I think oil prices were up so plastic prices were up, so it made more financial sense to make the little tiny things. There might've also been cheaper labor prices, because the interchange that they were making in order to produce itty bitty toys was lower material costs but harder to do fine detail.

I do remember loving a lot of those tiny toys though, and Titanmasters really revived a lot of that in me. I appreciate that Earthrise tried doing their own thing with basebuilding, but it really didn't fit together well. I think there was kind of a lack of big play features for using the little robots, and I think the bulk of figures opted out of the gimmick entirely, as opposed to the way Titanmasters were integrated with everybody having a built-in cockpit. I did really like the micromaster combiners when they tried that, although that might've played against the basebuilding gimmick as well.

Robot Style posted:

Micro Machines seem to still be chugging along and they brought Polly Pocket back, so they still exist in some form. And while the scale of the figures isn't as small as that (being slightly larger than Titan Masters), Lego's pretty unstoppable as far as small-scale toylines go.

I think Micro Machines was actually revived fairly recently and only kinda sporadically exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I kind of hated Titan Masters. Titans Return came along with very JG1-accurate toys at a time when I wanted an IDW accurate cast. The actual handfeel of Titan Masters was not great in my opinion, and many characters whose figures I wanted felt compromised by the forced partsforming and cockpit space. Add in the atrocious foil stickers and the line was very disappointing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Modulators are a nice idea, but they're just not big enough. The ramps barely acommodate car Micromasters, and Airwave straight up doesn't hold planes in its runway mode. They really needed to be Voyager sized to make the ramps a bit wider. Still, you can have a fair bit of fun with them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have no interest in him, but Legacy Metroplex is $152 on Amazon today

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

Micro Machines seem to still be chugging along and they brought Polly Pocket back, so they still exist in some form. And while the scale of the figures isn't as small as that (being slightly larger than Titan Masters), Lego's pretty unstoppable as far as small-scale toylines go.
Micro Machines has actually gone back to being just cars and playsets and has ditched the entire Star Wars line, which is kind of sad.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I went down the covered market near the Bullring today, and the toys and games stall there had some amusing looking knockoffs. Some kind of Blitzwing, a movie-style Optimus and a Prowl. I considered picking one or two up, maybe sending them to Thew, but I've spent enough today already. They're not going anywhere, he's got plenty.

What I did pick up instead was SS86 Ironhide and yep, it's pretty good! Very much pulling off the same trick as Rhinox where a lot of the alt mode just lives inside his legs, but it's much easier to handle them and get it sorted, with only one nerve-janglingly big clunk as the windscreen clips into place at the end. Looks fantastic in both modes, and the transformation gives the robot mode some neat tricks, too. Like, you can bring his feet down a bit and tilt them forwards, maybe get a good walking pose out of that, and the way his wrists drop down but only so far makes him the best bot I've ever seen for wielding a sword!

Only one complaint would be that one of the panels doesn't quite want to stay popped into place on his leg in robot mode, but it's not structural like Tracks and it stays close enough so who cares eh?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

There might be some worries over kids swallowing things,
https://www.theonion.com/fun-toy-banned-because-of-three-stupid-dead-kids-1819565691

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
TItans Return gave us the Triggerhappy mold so it's always gonna be up there for me. Also the Clobber mold is still super cute.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Titan's Return was really the start of the modern TF trend of giving us rarely made characters, Like all the headmasters, Triggerhappy, Octane, Sixshot, Overlord, etc. It also had a decent amount of new molds unlike CW which was filled with way too many remold/remakes, and the repaints that were made were usually obscure characters, like Nautica from Blurr. Also it had a coherent and solid theme unlike PotP, that had toys that accounted for it (like the Leaders all being bases for the TMs).

It's only real problems was just that if it dropped a rare character that wasn't a headmaster, suddenly they were which can be annoying, and some of the guns looked goofy with the seats shoehorned in.

I know one season of RID15 tried it, but there could be a real cool line where like all the weapons are Transformers, that can sit in the larger Transformer's vehicle modes, that can split into weapons/gear for other Transformers, that also become bases for other Transformers. And if you turned that into fiction, there might be a reason for the humans to interact with smaller transformers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I snagged a Unicron Trilogy uh… Unicron. Not MiB but complete and obviously used in display. I really dig it. It’s going to be odd for my Devastator etc tower over him, but I either “Missed out” or “Purposefully decided” not to back the haslab one depending on the state of my collector brain driven excuses are.

But overall? Happy with my purchase.

Edit: haslab too big. I wouldn’t mind a normal Titan sized unicron though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Earthspark Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b50HnZP5-M

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
OHHH ok! That’s interesting! I’m intrigued, and will definitely check that out. Borrowing more from the comics than just Nick Roche there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hope they handle it better than MTMTE did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
of course megatron is pals with the cop

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait hold up

Could this be in continuity with Prime and the other RID?

It's taking place in Witwicky again which is the same town from Prime, and Megatron abandoned the Decipticon cause definitively.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

of course megatron is pals with the cop

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1579186957787488256

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
All Cybertronians Are Bastards, please appreciate my clever and original hot take.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Wait hold up

Could this be in continuity with Prime and the other RID?

It's taking place in Witwicky again which is the same town from Prime, and Megatron abandoned the Decipticon cause definitively.

what?

Prime took place in Jasper, Nevada.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The human characters seem almost completely cringe and boring (the mom's exchange with Megatron was abominable), as per usual, but the actual Transformers stuff looks cool.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I built a Transformers related robot: https://imgur.com/a/zIUom9q

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

I built a Transformers related robot: https://imgur.com/a/zIUom9q

Awesome! Love GaoGaiGar. It would be sick if we got some Brave characters in Legacy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The mom is a park ranger, not a "cop", although irl in many places it's a small difference.

It will be hard for anything to handle Megatron's face turn as poorly as MTLTL. You'd have to constantly evoke real life genocidal campaigns, AND write your own critics into the show and have them quote Trump and the Tories while trying to cancel Megatron for the write-offable crime of being seventeen gigahitlers.

Even if you only made one of those mistakes it'd be orders of magnitude less irritating than the Megatron Dick Vortex in late period Roberts. I expect the filtering process of children's television to offer a much less polarizing take.

As for continuity, I strongly suspect that this will take place 30-40 years after a "squint test" version of the 80s cartoon. Similar to how TF Prime takes place some amount of time after something resembling the movies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So did I miss out hard on RED Shockwave or what?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Parks And Transformation

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dabir posted:

So did I miss out hard on RED Shockwave or what?

The RED figures are released so sporadically and in short runs, it’s impossible to tell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fsmhunk posted:

The human characters seem almost completely cringe and boring (the mom's exchange with Megatron was abominable), as per usual, but the actual Transformers stuff looks cool.

Nah, they’re great

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Just a reminder that Detective Fanzone is the best human character in all of transformers history and he's a cop

In conclusion, cybertron is a land of contrasts

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Nah, they’re great

I just don't really care for human characters in Transformers, I'm here for the Robots!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I always liked chip's episodes and that one time carly hung out with the dinobots on cybertron. I think the interaction with TFs as a sort of lovecraftian horror of living machinery / titanic scale (ex: starscream's foot in autobot city) is an unused aspect of the idea of giant living robots.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Humans are essential to Transformers stories. Otherwise they might as well just be metal people.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Nodosaur posted:

Humans are essential to Transformers stories. Otherwise they might as well just be metal people.

The best TF stories ever told had no people in them, so that's blatantly false. Also they...are metal people? Always have been. That's kind of the point.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

If I don't have people in my cartoon about robots how will I know how to relate to them???

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

The best TF stories ever told had no people in them, so that's blatantly false. Also they...are metal people? Always have been. That's kind of the point.

The best TF story ever told (IDW Unicron) wouldn't work at all without Earth.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Keldroc posted:

Also they...are metal people? Always have been. That's kind of the point.

No, I mean just metal people. As in, they don't transform at all.

Transformation, being robots in disguise, requires characters to have that conversation with. You need humans for that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I suppose you don't actually need humans in order for the transforming aspect of Transformers to be integrated into the story, but it definitely helps.

Beast Wars had the excuse of Energon radiation to explain why they needed to use their altmodes, and helped to keep a healthy balance of each mode in the show. But not every story's going to be able to use that.

They didn't really do anything with it in the story, but I remember gameplay of the High Moon Transformers games having a really nice flow to the integration of the different modes. With Transformers being such an action-focused series, It would be cool too see that type of on-the-fly mode switching being featured more, rather than having every fight just end up as some big human-shaped robots shooting at each other.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some of the most famous fights in the show, especially in the movie, used both modes really well. Optimus at Autobot City, Hot Rod and Kup vs the Sharkticons, particularly Hot Rod vs Galvatron.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nodosaur posted:

No, I mean just metal people. As in, they don't transform at all.

Transformation, being robots in disguise, requires characters to have that conversation with. You need humans for that.

The counterpoint here is that in the IDW fiction, transformers had alt modes and transformed for millennia prior to going to earth, and continued to do so well after the IDW stories left earth and went back to Cybertron and had no humans in them. They didn’t transform *because* of going to earth, it was a thing they already did.

Hell, that was true in the very first episode of the G1 cartoon, where you see transformers running around on Cybertron with alt modes right from the start.

Humans are necessary if you want to tell stories like “whoa what if objects in our world were giant robots in disguise, living among us??”, but humans aren’t necessary if the stories you’re trying to tell are about the robots functioning in *their* world, as much of the late IDW stuff chose to do.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 10, 2022

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

The counterpoint here is that in the IDW fiction, transformers had alt modes and transformed for millennia prior to going to earth, and continued to do so well after the IDW stories left earth and went back to Cybertron and had no humans in them. They didn’t transform *because* of going to earth, it was a thing they already did.

Hell, that was true in the very first episode of the G1 cartoon, where you see transformers running around on Cybertron with alt modes right from the start.

Humans are necessary if you want to tell stories like “whoa what if objects in our world were giant robots in disguise, living among us??”, but humans aren’t necessary if the stories you’re trying to tell are about the robots functioning in *their* world, as much of the late IDW stuff chose to do.

I would agree with you if MTMTE weren’t infamous for barely using alt modes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

Last Stand of the Wreckers has a human in it.

Oh, wait, No Homers rule. Fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

I would agree with you if MTMTE weren’t infamous for barely using alt modes.

And IDW 1 having a terrible track record in general regarding how it treated any Transformer gimmicks