Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

That's fantastic, thanks so much!

The potential of AI as a time saving measure for lone artists doing something labor intensive is really cool. Speaking as a lone artist working in analog processes that it's not feasible for, I'm pretty jealous lol. (I'm making some headway now that I have access to my university's fabrication lab, though). It's refreshing to step away from all the Discourse about ai art and see stuff like this being done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The coolest thing is teaching the AI your style, (it can also be weird and crushing tbh,) and seeing it try it's best to emulate you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Emzedoh posted:

I forgot to thanks Graveyard Quest poster for posting Graveyard Quest! Thank you for posting Graveyard Quest!

Someone else said it, but it bears repeating: this is hardly unique to 'anime'. I'm looking at you, cheap genre fiction!

I'm curious what you mean by 'normal' fiction, though.

Anyway, here's a semi-related bouletcorp that might piss some people off.

This is the kind of comic Jonathan Blow would draw.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I prefer his less autobiographical stuff, its more fun.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that’s expanded on any of the language tidbits in SSSS. It’s always cool and fun to learn about that stuff

Hermit Crab Car!

Oh it sucks no worries

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The use of colour in SSSS is just perfect.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1579317541305954304

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I appreciate that Kitty gets the appropriate amount of screentime which also serves as a barometer to indicate situations as either safe, currently ok, or hosed.

Vagabong posted:

Yeah the vibe of every bouletcoup is that he's mad at people who are not as much of a jaded gen x artist as he is

That's what it is, yeah. Does it count as hating the comic if it just stirs mild amusement about how much he hates kids?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just cut their dick off and they'll find out for themselves.

If they don't have a dick... hmm... OK this is harder than I thought.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Seriously there's some very good bouletcorp keep posting it

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ironically Boulet (along with Zach Weinersmith) is now publishing a children's story all about how being a little kid is awesome.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

If they don't have a dick... hmm... OK this is harder than I thought.

Tenebrais posted:

Zach Weinersmith

a solution is at hand

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I like Bouletcorp a lot. I've loved his comic Darkness for a very long time, because the idea of some people being the very embodiment of certain descriptors is something I've felt myself and love seeing illustrated.

It's definitely got strong gen x energy, and certainly hasn't aged well at times, but I do think it's a mistake to read it as sincerely advocating for the things it depicts. I think it's pretty clearly just exaggerated thoughts of the author, not Treatises on the Truths of Life and Existence.

Some comics are carefully-crafted stories where people can share the things most important to them, but Bouletcorp is more on the "just venting" end of the spectrum.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah I always got the feeling he was drawing himself as this aging crank rather than someone that should be listened to in any serious way.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Emzedoh posted:

I forgot to thanks Graveyard Quest poster for posting Graveyard Quest! Thank you for posting Graveyard Quest!

Someone else said it, but it bears repeating: this is hardly unique to 'anime'. I'm looking at you, cheap genre fiction!

Anyway, here's a semi-related bouletcorp that might piss some people off.

That dude put a lot of effort into telling everyone he is a better more creative artist than literal children.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

This professional artist has pride in his skills and work! Get him!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Unfortunately for the lady, the man turns out to have been The Rapper Jack, and she is quickly murdered! Zombie Wang Chen wheels into view with a burnt up and gnarly looking God! He offers to make Jack his slave!

Read right to left:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phthisis posted:

I like Bouletcorp a lot. I've loved his comic Darkness for a very long time, because the idea of some people being the very embodiment of certain descriptors is something I've felt myself and love seeing illustrated.

It's definitely got strong gen x energy, and certainly hasn't aged well at times, but I do think it's a mistake to read it as sincerely advocating for the things it depicts. I think it's pretty clearly just exaggerated thoughts of the author, not Treatises on the Truths of Life and Existence.

Some comics are carefully-crafted stories where people can share the things most important to them, but Bouletcorp is more on the "just venting" end of the spectrum.

The venting comics work when Boulet is willing to relentlessly take the piss out of himself and fall flat when he doesn't.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

LOOK AT HER GO LOOK AT THE MOVES!

:vince:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the man cannot remember the names of the children. this presumed exaggeration is metonymy for his general failure as a teacher.

but for us it is not sufficient. we still wish to hold his body upside down so that his hair in a flushing toilet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao that cake

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
oh dang

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

🎂

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Phthisis posted:

Darkness is so gooood. So is The Gaeneviad. Top tier Boulet comics

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah please post the good boulet Corp stuff not the grumpy elderly millennial ones! I've just been waiting for those lol

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I teach kids about that age, Boulet is spot on about most children's imaginations. They're just as bad when it comes to writing. Now I'll usually let slide characters named Naruto but last week we were writing a suspense story with a focus on setting, during the planning stage I had to ask them not to write about The Backrooms/the setting for that Huggy Wuggy thing/FNAF.

We had just read The Wolves In The Walls by Neil Gaiman, we expect and encourage them to copy ideas they've seen as long as it's fit for purpose.

Boulet fails when the kids are continuing his comic with what he sees as clichés, to the kids that's not a cliche that's just how stories go. If he wanted them to experiment he could of "yes, and" their ideas or give them inspiration points like key words or images to include.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

verbal enema posted:

wow those suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ht4Ei3pdR8

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

a solution is at hand

lol

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

CheeseThief posted:

I teach kids about that age, Boulet is spot on about most children's imaginations. They're just as bad when it comes to writing. Now I'll usually let slide characters named Naruto but last week we were writing a suspense story with a focus on setting, during the planning stage I had to ask them not to write about The Backrooms/the setting for that Huggy Wuggy thing/FNAF.

We had just read The Wolves In The Walls by Neil Gaiman, we expect and encourage them to copy ideas they've seen as long as it's fit for purpose.

Boulet fails when the kids are continuing his comic with what he sees as clichés, to the kids that's not a cliche that's just how stories go. If he wanted them to experiment he could of "yes, and" their ideas or give them inspiration points like key words or images to include.

I reckon this is pretty spot on. The other thing to remember is that kids haven't gotten sick of clichés yet. Even fairly ordinary media get really get inside your head and affect you for the rest of your life, so long as you see it at just the right age.

Anyway, I said it the last time I posted a spicy Boulet and I'll say it again: Boulet talks a lot of poo poo because he's trying to be funny, and he's almost always simultaneously talking himself down at the same time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah wow that comic is worse than the "i refuse to enjoy food optimally" one lmao

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here's a good Boulet.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The important thing to remember about Boulet is that he is french, and as such is extremely confident about his weird, obviously incorrect beliefs and contemptuous of anyone who cares enough to disagree

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

France, the original discussion forum

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

France, the original discussion forum

L'esprit de escalier

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Emzedoh posted:

I reckon this is pretty spot on. The other thing to remember is that kids haven't gotten sick of clichés yet. Even fairly ordinary media get really get inside your head and affect you for the rest of your life, so long as you see it at just the right age.

Anyway, I said it the last time I posted a spicy Boulet and I'll say it again: Boulet talks a lot of poo poo because he's trying to be funny, and he's almost always simultaneously talking himself down at the same time.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here's a good Boulet.

Reminds me of the the Mitchell and Webb homeopathic hospital sketch

https://youtu.be/HMGIbOGu8q0

Anyways Boulet is right: you are an rear end in a top hat if you beat up a kid

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

snergle posted:

how do i filter the thread by a specific poster again? i want to go back and read stand still stay silent

This is a few pages back but it's a webcomic you could just...go to the website?

https://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=1

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

some plague rats posted:

The important thing to remember about Boulet is that he is french, and as such is extremely confident about his weird, obviously incorrect beliefs and contemptuous of anyone who cares enough to disagree

(I don't actually believe this, it just sprang to mind)

While we're on the topic of good Bouletcorp as opposed to bad Bouletcorp though, I tried to post his 24 hour comic Darkness earlier, but apparently I couldn't download the pages to rehost safely (???).

Everyone should read Darkness, though. You can find it here:
https://english.bouletcorp.com/2012/02/01/darkness/

Yes, it's necessary to use bold font every time I write Darkness.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
t'as oublié a attacher qqc a nous faire rigoler [takes long drag off unlit Gauloise, coughs anyway (even though the cigarette is made of marzipan)]

biography of my rear end (ghost written by my dick)

e:

this one is v much a slightly oblique Branson Reese

yeah this is it. this is all you get today.

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Oct 11, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Emzedoh posted:

Fiction not geared explicitly towards nerds (sci-fi/fantasy mainly). It's not that genre fiction is bad (I quite like it) but if you only ever consume one specific type of story you're going to severely limit yourself artistically both in terms of the general ideas you get exposed to and the storytelling techniques you'll encounter.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

readingatwork posted:

Fiction not geared explicitly towards nerds (sci-fi/fantasy mainly). It's not that genre fiction is bad (I quite like it) but if you only ever consume one specific type of story you're going to severely limit yourself artistically both in terms of the general ideas you get exposed to and the storytelling techniques you'll encounter.

One of the reasons I love this thread is seeing people's favorite comics and expanding my knowledge of fiction so much, it's getting easier to recognize good story telling as I read each one. Like we would have never met Nobara if we didn't have the yob comic thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

readingatwork posted:

Couldn't that be true of any subgenre, not just nerd poo poo though? Like, if all you consume is romance novels, or Clancy-esque war poo poo, you're similarly stunted. Once you eliminate all of those genres, what's left to be "normal lit"?