Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sounds like rimfactory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Not really interested in a Factorio conveyor system. Give me a mech that's literally just an auto smelter/incinerator on wheels.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well I haven't switched to the unstable branch but something updated and completely shattered my mod list. Based on the error logs a bunch of Harmony dependent mods are breaking? Did they also do something to their 1.3 branch when updating to 1.4?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's what happens, that's the established pattern, the eternal cycle

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well I haven't switched to the unstable branch but something updated and completely shattered my mod list. Based on the error logs a bunch of Harmony dependent mods are breaking? Did they also do something to their 1.3 branch when updating to 1.4?

My mods (incl Harmony mods) seem to be okay. Are you sure you're not on 1.4 by accident? What's the version number say in the top-left corner of the title screen?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

My mods (incl Harmony mods) seem to be okay. Are you sure you're not on 1.4 by accident? What's the version number say in the top-left corner of the title screen?

Nah still on the main branch. Two main culprits breaking with Harmony seem to be Vampires and Rimforge, neither of which I can safely remove from my current run lol.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Nah still on the main branch. Two main culprits breaking with Harmony seem to be Vampires and Rimforge, neither of which I can safely remove from my current run lol.

Well it looks like Harmony updated on Oct 5. That could be the culprit. Or some other mod could have updated and is creating a conflict

First thing to do is go to Steam Workshop, look at your Subscribed Items, and sort by Date Updated. Then go see if anyone else is having issues, and whether there's a simple fix.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The mod system is designed such that the modder can pack a whole separate copy of the mod for each patch version, so in theory any work to preemptively update for 1.4 should have zero impact on existing saves. Unfortunately not all modders seem to know how to use it.

Having multiple copies of a mod within a mod does start to balloon file sizes but luckily RimPy allows you to strip redundant files to reclaim that space.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And when you have dependencies on dependencies there's always going to be the possibility of this happening, that's just how software development goes sometimes. One hypothesis: Harmony made some change that should be compatible with 1.3, but another mod is monkey-patching with Harmony in a way that wasn't compatible with the change.

Best case, you figure out that the culprit is some mod that you don't really need and you can just get rid of it.

Second base case, you report the issue and it gets fixed quickly.

Either way, tracking down the true source is going to be helpful, assuming you care about the save.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Apparently RimWorld PvP is a thing? This is actually kinda neat for how basic it is. Looks like it's 2v2 or 3v3 on the same map, each player controls one pawn, build for 2-3 days and then you can break the wall that splits the map in half and attack each other. Some better multiplayer mod stuff (fog of war etc.) might make this pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOs1EVAnEw

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
As soon as 1.4 was announced, I copied my current Steam Rimworld folder and all of my mods into a new folder so I can continue playing this current game without worrying about all of the impending and ongoing mod updates. It always take a few months after a new update for all of the modders to catch up so it's either this or play a different game entirely until they all catch up and I can rely on Steam's updating processes again. Of course I could remove all of my mods or trim my mod list but I refuse to do that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the unstable branch with no mods no dlc seems a lil unstable, the new shelves are amazingly good but you can get situations where clearly there are multiple stacks that could be merged but the pawns don't see it and will leave 1 meal in one shelf and 3 in another. Idk if this is due to the shelves not being linked or what.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The game seems to have issues with filling stacks in general; with Deep Storage I often have to manually barf out all the stacks of wood onto the floor and have them put them back because i'll have like six stacks of 50, 47, 12, 19, 66 and 74

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm guessing the shelves are internally treated as separate stockpiles, so as far as the game is concerned there's no reason to merge them because they're unrelated stacks. Deep Storage functions the same way, you'll see pawns merge stacks inside a single container but trying to clean up multiple containers needs you to mess around with stockpile priorities.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The core problem is that whenever anything interacts with a stack, either removing from or adding to it, the stack becomes "reserved" until the pawn is done with it. This makes sense from a game simplicity side since it means you won't have to deal with two pawns trying to use the same resource simultaneously but it also means that if multiple pawns are hauling to a stack at the same time then only the first pawn that gets there can deposit and the rest have to find or make a new stack. If you have a lot of haulers it can lead to a bunch of little broken stacks, especially if it's a long distance haul. Shelves exacerbate this further by considering the whole shelf as a single interactable unit.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Linking the shelves helped, and then didn't after I reloaded. Idk.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

IIRC pawns have a low priority job hidden under the haul category to merge stacks but only if there isn't any more important hauling to do. I imagine something like the WorkTab mod could expose that sub-job so you could make it higher priority.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sachant posted:

IIRC pawns have a low priority job hidden under the haul category to merge stacks but only if there isn't any more important hauling to do. I imagine something like the WorkTab mod could expose that sub-job so you could make it higher priority.

Sounds like a perfect task for one of the upcoming hauling mechanoids (or my past favorite: rimworld of magic raised dead) zoned to just the stockroom to do forever and ever and ever.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Yeah I'm totally going to have a bunch of hauler/cleaner mechanoids I think, same way I do now with the hauler/cleaner robots from that one mod, just vanilla. :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm wondering how often robots will need to recharge. If it's like the equivalent of sleeping once per 5 days or something then they'll have a bunch of down-time while people are asleep, so I'm thinking you'll also want a craft-bot in the mix just to roll joints or make components or whatever. Gotta keep a steady flow of resources moving around the base

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What is my purpose
You roll joints

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Pretty hyped for this expansion for the baby having and genetic engineering poo poo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Flesh Forge posted:

Pretty hyped for this expansion for the baby genetic engineering poo poo

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There is one serious problem with Biotech so far, and it's the fact that it is not out right now and I am not playing it. I hope this is resolved soon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Flesh Forge posted:

Pretty hyped for this expansion for the baby having and genetic engineering poo poo

Wait can we genetically modify the baby to induce certain traits and stats?

This is getting weird but it's sounding like character pawn editor with extra steps.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

preview posted:

deathless blood-drinker

thielist ideology gimmick run

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I will be so glad to basically have pawn morpher and what the hack but in ways that don't make me hate myself to use them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm very excited to turn away all refugees and let my enemies bleed out in the fields. If I want more colonists I would simply make more.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I have been playing a Neolithic to Archotech tribal start to pass the time until the expansion comes out. I am currently in the Industrial Era and its been a lot of fun. I am especially enjoying the "Research Reinvented" mod, it make research more interesting, if you haven't tried it I highly recommend checking it out. Instead of just standing at the research desk the pawn will advance the research gain by analyzing materials, building prototypes and reverse engineering existing tech. I'll be adding it to all my future saves.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That sounds very cool. Ill check that out definitely.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Anything that makes the tech system more like RimAtomics is a good thing imo, that mod has one of the most fun research takes and I wish more tech trees were just locked in their own table rather than all on one giant tree.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

jokes posted:

I'm very excited to turn away all refugees and let my enemies bleed out in the fields. If I want more colonists I would simply make more.

hell yea :twisted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Walls up, turrets up, mortar cannons up, orbital trade only.

Gonna make a "red alert" button that shuts everything down, powers up all the turrets, and locks everyone in their luxurious, reinforced cages bedrooms.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100?emclan=103582791454681671&emgid=3319740412995640186

Preview 2 is up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

also looking forward to :gas:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A rabid alpaca appeared to threaten my one builder. The guy who has been hitting on her since crash landing goes out to rescue because he's our best shot. He completely missed the animal but blew her leg off in one shot. I had some random loser walk over and stab the thing in the brain like it was nothing.

Taters, who is dumb af but kind of an ok medic was able to rescue her, treat her grievous wounds, and attach a peg leg all 100% flawlessly. He complimented her personality and now they're in love and both at literally maxed out happiness at all times. Everyone else is miserable because it's regularly 56 degrees out and I didn't let the herds get big enough so that we could shear enough wool for dusters, and even getting cloth has been pretty hard because of the weird weather here. It's a rainforest that gets cold enough that you need parkas to go outside, but it never snows. In the hot season it's continual pouring rain and fog.

This is just complete vanilla no mods no dlc and it's been challenging. We get pretty low on food sometimes, but there are plenty of animals a mega herd of 30 elephants on the map. I missed out on a lot of good meat because for a while there was a panther war vs feral hogs where they would kill each other, then the panthers wised up and started trying to eat the colonists instead. But despite the leg blown off nobody has even been scarred or really hurt.

I beelined the spectral analyzer and forgot i need not only gold but plasteel, there's been exactly zero trade ships floating by since the comms station came online, too. I kinda wish that thing had more uses than it does, it seems like a cool thing that should be useful tbh. So we're going geothermal > hydroponics and hopefully we can get some stuff up. Just need a lot of components and steel, and the environment itself is hot enough to be dangerous. I might have to get the alpacas inside.

Another thing i noticed: You can now select completely arbitrary amounts of stuff. Before if you wanted to say, strip mine a huge section of map, or deforest the landscape, you had to do it in chunks. Now you can literally order the pawns to cut down every single tree, mine out every single rock, harvest every single plant, haul every single chunk in the entire map. It's kinda dumb and doesn't work well if you don't have the workforce for it, but it's possible.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So what is stopping you from just freezing your pollution in a stone silo, sealing the freezers and entrance off with stone doors, and then setting it on fire? It will produce toxic gas... which is sealed in? Does the gas not dissipate unless it's outside? Wonder if you could use a chimney or something if it produces toxgas that doesn't leave a residual pollution. Probably using toxic weapons causes pollution buildup the same as letting the bags rot

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I very much look forward to SRTS bombing runs with these new Tox Mortar rounds. :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So what is stopping you from just freezing your pollution in a stone silo, sealing the freezers and entrance off with stone doors, and then setting it on fire? It will produce toxic gas... which is sealed in? Does the gas not dissipate unless it's outside? Wonder if you could use a chimney or something if it produces toxgas that doesn't leave a residual pollution. Probably using toxic weapons causes pollution buildup the same as letting the bags rot

When the packs pop they probably also pollute the area, since that's what they'd do normally if they just deteriorated. So the cave itself would become toxic and dangerous for colonists to enter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Biotech Preview 2 posted:

Apocriton: The mysterious apocriton is an intelligent commander mechanoid and psychic warrior that harbors endless hatred for humanity. Not much is known about it, except that its psychic powers poison the human mind with rage. Its weapon is hatred.

so there's going to be a good reason to take psychically deaf colonists, sounds like