Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

The Air Force has a job where they will hand out towels at the gym and get the same benefits that everyone else gets and they won't be on a floating metal sexual harassment and mental abuse factory known as a USN ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The AF doesn't get sea pay, though!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Did someone say don't join the Navy, and if you do don't be a Nuke?

Because you definitely shouldn't do either of those things.

If you do become a Nuke, just fail out of Power School, and you'll be a MMAC in 8 years.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Go IT in the reserves. Or don’t join.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just be an officer in the reserves. poo poo's great.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you just have a high school education, you should not join the military, you should enter another field that offers full benefits, education, and upward mobility, such as:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
(but definitely don't go nuke, that part is for real)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cerekk posted:

If you just have a high school education, you should not join the military, you should enter another field that offers full benefits, education, and upward mobility, such as:

NGL here but get hired on with the TSA.

If you are just 18 it’s a pretty ok job all in all.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
She's only in my homeroom so I don't have the sort of relationship that I have with my classroom students, there's no way I could talk her out of enlisting. I just want to take away some pain if possible.

I did tell her and everyone else within earshot to never ever go nuke and if you give it ten seconds' thought, a job where they have to give you a $50,000 bonus to sign on is probably not a good job to take.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

She's only in my homeroom so I don't have the sort of relationship that I have with my classroom students, there's no way I could talk her out of enlisting. I just want to take away some pain if possible.

I did tell her and everyone else within earshot to never ever go nuke and if you give it ten seconds' thought, a job where they have to give you a $50,000 bonus to sign on is probably not a good job to take.

Tell her if she absolutely positively has to enlist for some reason, go air force.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

For real, my crew's like 75% Air Force vets and those dudes all loved their jobs, half are in the reserves, and most left just so they could spend more time with their families.

There's also quite a few ex-nukes, and we all have horrible brain problems from the time we were in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Gov shipyard for sure. Just gotta stay off the dope.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Being an officer especially in the reserves seems like a good scam

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Gov shipyard for sure. Just gotta stay off the dope.

This is kind of legitimately true. I've known a bunch of yard birds that worked for like 14 bucks an hour on cable teams eventually make their way to system engineer jobs with lockmart etc

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
enlisting in the Navy can lead to unexpected and terminal brain breakage, while in the Air Force handing out towels at the gym you hand out towels at a gym and get all the same benefits. like seriously I know multiple people with educations in the Seabees that refuse to commission or look at going to a different service because they don't want to push paper or be one of those people who doesn't do hard work

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
If Nuke does sound appealing to her, tell her there's a lot of community tech schools around the country near nuclear plants that offer a 2 year associates that can help her get into a commercial plant. A degree like nuclear engineering technology. Can get the same job making $50+ an hour in fewer years than a navy nuke contract is. And without the terminal brain breakage. Had I known that was an option when I was younger, I never would have joined the navy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno why people keep bringing up nuke lol the kid wants to go in as an AT (aviation electronics tech) lol

AT was pretty cool tbh

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

MonkeyFit posted:

If Nuke does sound appealing to her, tell her there's a lot of community tech schools around the country near nuclear plants that offer a 2 year associates that can help her get into a commercial plant. A degree like nuclear engineering technology. Can get the same job making $50+ an hour in fewer years than a navy nuke contract is. And without the terminal brain breakage. Had I known that was an option when I was younger, I never would have joined the navy.

DVC just got extended another 5 years and there's still no better place to be. I dont think they even require a nuclear background over just a general engineering one.

LLNL is also looking for people and they do all the cool stuff. They need field engineers for their missile testing going out and prepping the drone rafts to shoot missiles at but that requires a lot of school, engineering, and shipboard experience. So any engineers should check it out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

This is kind of legitimately true. I've known a bunch of yard birds that worked for like 14 bucks an hour on cable teams eventually make their way to system engineer jobs with lockmart etc

Yeah, there's a few programs offered here for tool runners starting in high school. loving secret security clearance and a job while going to school? lovely part is they dont seem to be able to fully staff it because of weed use in the region. I'm hoping I can get my kids in it. Sucks they will have to work around a bunch of sailors in the yards but oh well it could be worse they could be those sailors.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno why people keep bringing up nuke lol the kid wants to go in as an AT (aviation electronics tech) lol

AT was pretty cool tbh

I wanted to be an OS and look at radars all day but they kept mentioning re-up bonuses and I kind of lost track of what happened and wound up a nuke MM. I'm just saying, maybe some repetition of the warning would do some good.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Never, ever, ever go Nuke.

AT seemed pretty chill. I could probably do without the FOD walkdowns, but those are at least practical.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Never, ever, ever go Nuke.

AT seemed pretty chill. I could probably do without the FOD walkdowns, but those are at least practical.

Go I level and you never see the deck :smug:

I think I did exactly one FOD walk down and that was a base wide one in coronando lol

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe a list of the chillest ratings would be helpful. I was a Coner ET and it was ok.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I mean ideally you'd get some kind of technical rate right? Like FC/ET/IC/IT, basically combat systems in general. It's easy to translate the skills you get in those rates to civ side, you generally have a bunch of spaces to hide in, in general you aren't doing a ton of manual labor etc.

I don't know poo poo about aviation rates, maybe AT is kind of the equivalent. At least she isn't going AO.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
ABE is the best rate ever with tons of opportunities outside the Navy. She’d love it!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Submarine ratings definitive chillness list:
Tier 1: LSS
Tier 2: FT, STS, ETV (non-Strat), ITS(EW)
Tier 3: ITS(Comms), ETV (Strat), CSS
Tier 4: TM, YNS
Tier 5: MT, MMA

Tier ZZZ: ETN, EMN, MMN

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean ideally you'd get some kind of technical rate right? Like FC/ET/IC/IT, basically combat systems in general. It's easy to translate the skills you get in those rates to civ side, you generally have a bunch of spaces to hide in, in general you aren't doing a ton of manual labor etc.

I don't know poo poo about aviation rates, maybe AT is kind of the equivalent. At least she isn't going AO.

AT is kinda the aviation version of ET.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Anita Dickinme posted:

ABE is the best rate ever with tons of opportunities outside the Navy. She’d love it!

:hmmyes:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Go AC, then federal civ. Enjoy special, early retirement.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Go Coast Guard and deal with way less bulshit entirely while getting the same benefits.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

All the same benefits except pay, 12+ year E4s and 5s are common.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hey guys, some enlisting advice please.
One of my students has already been snared by a recruiter and is super happy about enlisting as an AT after graduation in May. I'm not super up on aviation rates or the process in general. Is there anything I can tell her before she signs a contract (other than "don't") to help her out in that rate in particular?

If she does go Tron, P-8 squadrons arn't a bad gig, our planes have a lot of avionics and other boxes they have to work on and at least at my squadron part of our unofficial indoc for NFOs was telling them to take care of their sailors, but especially be good to the trons since we relied on them for a crap ton of maintenance fixes.

Theres also per-diem and not being on a boat.

Alternatively...

ded posted:

Tell her if she absolutely positively has to enlist for some reason, go air force.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Elviscat posted:

All the same benefits except pay, 12+ year E4s and 5s are common.

Not really 4s but there are 5s who don't study for poo poo. Aviation side 5s are a lot more common. At my station out of the 25 people we have 4 1st's at 6 to 12 all the 2nds but 2 are under 8 and out of those 2 ones getting out to go be a teacher and the other has been consistent gently caress up. All the 4s are first enlistment guys and in 19 years in ove never seen someone finish their first enlistment as a 4 who actually opened a book instead of a bottle. poo poo my AEPO is at 11 and will probably pick up an anchor before he leaves the unit. Almost 10 of those people are day workers who go home just about every night and stand cellphone duty. poo poo in the winter we work 4 days a week.

A lot of the people you see kicking around in the CG in the e5 spot for a long time are there because that's where they want to be. E5 in the CG away from sector jobs is a pretty sweet spot. You get to do cool poo poo and you are generally running the show. Honestly every time I've actually studied for advancement hard I've made it. Most of the other times I just hosed around and enjoyed my time off while doing light reading.
Edit: fixed some numbers and spelling and poo poo

Melthir fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 13, 2022

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/10/12/another-aircraft-carrier-is-grappling-with-water-issues/

Oh look. What a surprise.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

From the article: “But she also notes that, during the address, she and the rest of the bridge are looking at a cloudy bottle of water that “personally tastes like saltwater to me.””

Why is she she (the CO of all people??) taste testing it and do they not have a basic water quality testing lab on a goddamn aircraft carrier?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

pmchem posted:

From the article: “But she also notes that, during the address, she and the rest of the bridge are looking at a cloudy bottle of water that “personally tastes like saltwater to me.””

Why is she she (the CO of all people??) taste testing it and do they not have a basic water quality testing lab on a goddamn aircraft carrier?

That’s actually the most impressive part of the article.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Crab Dad posted:

Obama didn’t drink Flint water, so the CO is great or stupid as gently caress.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

I get the solidarity with the crew I guess, but, if there was bad stuff in there and the Lincoln needed to do something it seems like a bad idea to have the CO incapacitated??

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

pmchem posted:

I get the solidarity with the crew I guess, but, if there was bad stuff in there and the Lincoln needed to do something it seems like a bad idea to have the CO incapacitated??

It’s pierside.
Ok I guess make cmc drink it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Any skipper that wouldn't taste the water themselves isn't fit to wear the star on their chest.