Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the ways I used to deal with the fear of the abyss in Subnautica was just by hugging the seafloor in the seamoth, and so much of Below Zero makes that impossible. Twisty Bridges and the Geysers really force you to stay up above the mess if you're just passing by. Not many flat plains.

They were also subtle enough that I never really realized while I was playing.

Amusingly I dealt with leviathan fear in the exact opposite way - since they tended to be deep underwater when I got spooked I'd zip up to the surface and make a break for it. This doesn't work outside the normal play area, but I tended to be swimming for visible safety in a near blind panic and not into the infinite blue horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Manager Hoyden posted:

Pretty terrifying when you finally reach the bottom of twisty bridges and find out what's down there

it's nothing

You know, besides all the fragments and materials you need.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Zesty posted:

You know, besides all the fragments and materials you need.

And a noisy sharktopus thing that is fairly terrifying

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh and those scary things. You know the ones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There is an alien thingy to scan down at the bottom too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wanted to breed a bunch of species but I needed space and also was feeling guilty about putting the little ones in cramped containers so I built the Biological Research Base.

Yes I spent way too long mining quartz and titanium. It needs the windows to look pretty.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 6, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp, that's the game. Goodbye, Basey, my home away from home, I wasted too much time on you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 9, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MikeJF posted:

Welp, that's the game. Goodbye, Basey, my home away from home, I wasted too much time on you.

That all looks beautiful. Wow.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Where do you get eye jelly eggs?
I've never found one before.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a bit where you can go under the western ice shelf and it leads into a tunnel that goes through it? At the start of that there's this wide open area underneath the ice shelf where the jellies lay their eggs.

Just got west and dive to the bottom and explore the edge of the ice shelf, you'll find it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Jeez, Spicy Fruit Salad is just the devs going 'screw it, you win, no more survival', isn't it. One preston's plant and one spicy chilli plant and you're set forever.

Marblemellons were all you needed in og.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, marblemelon was +12 food +14 water.

Spicy fruit salad doesn't decay and is +100 heat, +85 food, +30 water. And one harvest from one pepper tree and one Preston's tree gives you enough for about ten fruit salads. Even by the standards of Subnautica it's pretty obviously designed to just cancel out needs. Not really complaining but it is very obvious.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Eh, marblemelon was +12 food +14 water.

Spicy fruit salad doesn't decay and is +100 heat, +85 food, +30 water. And one harvest from one pepper tree and one Preston's tree gives you enough for about ten fruit salads. Even by the standards of Subnautica it's pretty obviously designed to just cancel out needs. Not really complaining but it is very obvious.

You get four leaves and six peppers before they deteriorate.

I listened to an interview done by one of the chief devs for og subnautica and he basically said the game was never meant to be hard or challenging. It was always just meant to be an exploration game with strong thematic elements. I can't remember ever having any issues with food or water and either game that weren't trivially addressed.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Based on the devs' previous games, Id say if they wanted them to be hard you would know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

You get four leaves and six peppers before they deteriorate.

Really? That's weird, I can get about about ten leaves out of my Preston plants, I found it odd how much I could slash them before they went.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My third or so playthrough of OG I played a hardcore save and I made it basically until the end game before dying because my seamoth somehow warped into the wall deep in a cave with no other source of O2. I never even had a close call until that bug got me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There’s no value in playing permadeath. Just play regular and you can decide whether that bug that killed you is worth deleting your save over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zesty posted:

There’s no value in playing permadeath. Just play regular and you can decide whether that bug that killed you is worth deleting your save over.

Don’t listen to this logic keep bashing your head against it till you succeed like me!

:shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zesty posted:

I'm in a weird spot because while I completely agree with you, I know for myself that I don't have the gaming-related willpower to end a save if I die in normal mode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's why I never play permadeath or ironman or whatever in anything. I've had enough save corruptions and weird bugs in my gaming life to tell me that's a recipe for disaster.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My last hardcore attempt ended the way god satan intended: frantically shooting a stasis rifle at a reaper, missing every shot, and everything going black as the reaper chewed on me.

I might’ve had another that glitched out, I might’ve (mercifully) forgotten that one though.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I succeeded at permadeath only because I tried to beat the game as quick as I could before a glitch could get me.

Finished it in 7 hours, which is 7x the current speed run record but I’m pretty proud of it.

Didn’t even use any vehicles :smug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I'd never play permadeath on a known buggy game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It's pretty simple. If you legit die, delete your save.

Boom, permadeath.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My personal version of permadeath in a buggy game is to play it normally, then when the umpteenth bullshit buggy death occurs I just lose interest in the game and never play it again.

That mentality works for all sorts of genres: If I'm playing a long campaign and things get too rough and un-fun, I'll take too long of a break before my next turn and forget I was playing. Boom, permadeath.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm in a weird spot because while I completely agree with you, I know for myself that I don't have the gaming-related willpower to end a save if I die in normal mode.
Keep yourself honest by streaming your gameplay.

Endless Trash posted:

Finished it in 7 hours, which is 7x the current speed run record but I’m pretty proud of it.
Also doesn't the speedrun route die a few times as a "teleport to nearest base" shortcut?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Food and Water in survival-explorer games are meant, as a mechanic, to drive you to keep engaging with the core gameplay loop.

Because some people, exposed to unlimited choices of what to do next, shut down and feel stressed instead of doing whatever they feel like.

And it gives you something to feel system mastery over.

"Aha, I can just feed myself and my bioreactor with this tree, forever" is meant to feel like a victory over the game.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

wolrah posted:

Also doesn't the speedrun route die a few times as a "teleport to nearest base" shortcut?

This is true but apparently it only takes the speed run time from 58m to 1h3m - so not that big of a diff

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The BZ VR mod was finally updated.
There were a few devs working on it and seem to have worked out the bugs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/118?tab=files
Needs What the Dock updates for QMod Manager.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Getting my yearly urge to replay the first game. I might need to go looking for some new mods, what are y’all’s favorites?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Getting my yearly urge to replay the first game. I might need to go looking for some new mods, what are y’all’s favorites?

World map, storage capacities up, craft using items in proximity radius. If you can wait though I think they're backporting Subnautica into the Below Zero engine which is going to add alot of new options too

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I like the 'slot extender' mod for the Seamoth and Prawn. Not for the actual 'using more slots' feature that you'd think would be the core function, but for being able to access the vehicle storage and swap arms/mods from inside the vehicle without getting out. For all your 'Ryley as an incredible germophobe who refuses to set foot in the ocean' playthroughs.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I went a little crazy on the mods
Some can be a little cheaty like ingredients from scan, which gives you actual items instead of 2 titanium after your initial scans
PDA radio is great because screw going back to hear the radio after you just left hearing the radio.

AdvancedInventory
BaseClocks
BetterPowerInfo
BetterScannerBlips
BlueprintTracker
CoordinatesDisplay
CustomBeacons
CustomizedStorage
CyclopsDockingMod
EasyCraft
HabitatControlPanelSML
IngredientsFromScan
MoonpoolVehicleRepair
MoreQuickSlots
MoreSeamothDepth
PDARadio
RunningWithTools
SlotExtender
SubnauticaAutosave
SubnauticaDeathMarker
SubnauticaMap
Tweaks and Fixes
VREnhancements
VrYUnlock

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I recommend against maps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want a built in map that's blank that you can draw on

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I liked what miasmata did with their map. You have to triangulate your position with landmarks to add new landmarks to your map

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ikanreed posted:

I liked what miasmata did with their map. You have to triangulate your position with landmarks to add new landmarks to your map

Hell while I played below zero my working document was things like this after I found the map in outpost zero (and later on the other map for the area around the robotics lab)

with triangulation off beacons and bases. had to make sure everything was at the surface level, 3D made it too complex and the map's 3D enough for that to be a real issue.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 26, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Dang, that's clever. I just got lost a lot and enjoyed it like a dumbass.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh also by the end of the game I think I had like 30 beacons, I just dropped 'em everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The seatruck dock really needs a button that just launches the cab solo straight out of the side bubble it turns into, as well as the regular 'backing out with all the trucks' option. Have that, and add a small amount of storage to the seatruck cab, and you could have it set up so solo-launch is your seamoth while truck-launch is your cyclops, and you don't have to fiddle around all the time and can use either mode instantly.

I know you finished the game recently but that is something I solved with a second moonpool and seatruck. Managing seatruck modules was awkward and annoying so I kinda brute forced it, and having a dedicated “fast” vehicule was pretty cool.

I kinda liked the seatruck on paper (for the EVE nerds I flew the Iteron a bunch so it was a trip) but it didn’t really do it for me compared to the cyclops. I built all the modules but never used or needed half of them. (Sleep? Teleporter?) Just the scale of the cyclops as a mobile base scratched an itch that the seatruck can’t really compete with, as convenient as it is.

Excited for the og port to the new engine though, with a bunch of QoL mods on top I’ll definitely replay it. Some sort of cartography system that you can gradually work on would be amazing but for some reason the studio doesn’t seem keen on that idea, or maybe they have not found an interesting implementation yet?