Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

I'm so close to finishing Xenoblade 3, I can loving taste the end, please, I want to play other games

This was me last week.
Maybe i got a bad ending idk but it wasnt worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
You know a game is good when you just want it to be over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beating a xenoblade game always means like the final 10 hours are running down repeating metal hallways fighting the same enemy mob that is spammed thickly over every surface

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

withoutclass posted:

You know a game is good when you just want it to be over.

Honestly, it's really good, but there's just so. many. sidequests. And they're developed and well-written enough that you feel obligated to do most of them. I just finished up the last big party member sidequest though, and I have four minor ones left in my log that I'll probably just ignore for now. I like the game a lot, but I beat Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2 back-to-back over two weeks. I've been playing Xenoblade 3 for two months, and a lot of that is just that it's legitimately kind of annoying to boot the game up and realize I have a mountain of sidequests I feel obligated to tackle before I can make even a meager amount of story progress.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

Honestly, it's really good, but there's just so. many. sidequests. And they're developed and well-written enough that you feel obligated to do most of them. I just finished up the last big party member sidequest though, and I have four minor ones left in my log that I'll probably just ignore for now. I like the game a lot, but I beat Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2 back-to-back over two weeks. I've been playing Xenoblade 3 for two months, and a lot of that is just that it's legitimately kind of annoying to boot the game up and realize I have a mountain of sidequests I feel obligated to tackle before I can make even a meager amount of story progress.

But if you do sidequests you are hilariously overpowered for the critical path. The last 3rd of the game when a fight started, i put the console down to watch tv cause the ai could win it with no help from me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TBH I'm only level 68 and I haven't entered the final dungeon yet. The last sidequest I did actually had enemies that were higher-level than me for the first time in many, many hours, even. I haven't been using any of my bonus experience for a long time though, I have like 16 levels worth of it because I don't actually want to sleepwalk through the end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have two weeks off work and I figure it's now or never as far as xenoblade 3 goes

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arist posted:

Oh man, I was kinda leaning into picking that up, but maybe I'll just wait a while until I really need to scratch the itch.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is 3 friendly to people who have played a little of 1 and that’s it? It seems like a game I would like.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Got round to completing The Last of Us Part 1. Did from the very beginning of the University to the end in one go. gently caress it’s such a good game and the new facial mocap adds so much. I really am very glad I shelled out the bux even if it is too many bux

Still got Left Behind to go as well!!

They made a video game about the rapture?

I've posted a lil of last of us back on the ps4, but didn't get too far. Lost my poo poo laughing when they teach you how to throw a brick to distract people, and mine straight up domed the dude I was supposed to distract, and I did not expect that AT ALL. Just *crunch* followed by "don't thunk no gud no more" noises.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fix posted:

Oh man, I was kinda leaning into picking that up, but maybe I'll just wait a while until I really need to scratch the itch.

When I say I've been playing it for two months as opposed to a week each for the previous two games, it's not actually that much longer. I'm 90 hours in and it seems like I'm about to finish it, and I beat the other two in 60 each. The issue is just that I burned out on doing so many sidequests. Honestly, I recommend if you play the game that you just be more picky about which ones you do.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is 3 friendly to people who have played a little of 1 and that’s it? It seems like a game I would like.

The story has extremely loose elements of 1 and 2 but you don't need to play them at all, nothing really relies on prior knowledge (though I haven't seen the end yet).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doming dudes with bricks is a key mechanic and a lot of fights can hinge on that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bricks in TLOU are awesome. You can beat unaware Clickers to death with them!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They made a video game about the rapture?

I've posted a lil of last of us back on the ps4, but didn't get too far. Lost my poo poo laughing when they teach you how to throw a brick to distract people, and mine straight up domed the dude I was supposed to distract, and I did not expect that AT ALL. Just *crunch* followed by "don't thunk no gud no more" noises.
Try using melee attacks while holding a brick. :)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Escobarbarian posted:

Got round to completing The Last of Us Part 1. Did from the very beginning of the University to the end in one go. gently caress it’s such a good game and the new facial mocap adds so much. I really am very glad I shelled out the bux even if it is too many bux

Still got Left Behind to go as well!!

Dude isn’t the facial mocap just a whole other level? It is unbelievably good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

YOSP talking to folks from Bokeh (vets from Silent Hill, Siren, and Gravity Rush) who are now working on 'Slitterhead'. Lots of old stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZwdAKjs3w

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

:D might as well finish the platinum now

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you don’t plat astrobot they take your ps5 away

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akira yamaoka's had a weird career trajectory. he's a great composer even when he's not making music from putting scrap metal in a tumble dryer, but since silent hill he's mostly just taken work on SH also-rans and the occasional C-list title from Grasshopper

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arist posted:

When I say I've been playing it for two months as opposed to a week each for the previous two games, it's not actually that much longer. I'm 90 hours in and it seems like I'm about to finish it, and I beat the other two in 60 each. The issue is just that I burned out on doing so many sidequests. Honestly, I recommend if you play the game that you just be more picky about which ones you do.

That's fine, and something that I'll definitely be into later, but I'm in the middle of a cornucopia of side quests right now, so it's no big deal to wait until I've got more stamina for another one of these.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
So why is this a thing now

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1579430047261548547?t=F50-TdZUyreRiT-8ZixvKQ&s=19

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're trying to eliminate bots and smurf accounts (or at the very least, make them extremely inconvenient).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because actiblizz lost their minds and hate poor people more than they hate cheaters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The latest questionably effective tactic for preventing cheaters and griefers from making infinite burner accounts

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

They're trying to eliminate bots and smurf accounts (or at the very least, make them extremely inconvenient).

What they got against smurfs? Gargamald owns xbox now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Activision Blizzard is a Snorks household

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What games do you want to complete before the end of the year? My list has:

TLOU1 (just Left Behind to go)
Ghost of Tsushima (about 2/3 of the way through my replay and need to do the DLC for the first time)
God of War Ragnarok (of course!)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (two more worlds and whatever the postgame is)
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection (replay Lost Legacy)
PowerWash Simulator (ok technically I already completed this but there’s still a couple of bonus jobs to do! I must clean all)
Dragon Quest XI (really wish I’d bought this on a portable console tbh but I’ve played far enough to not want to start again. might play some in a bit)

Once I’ve gotten through all that (which I don’t foresee being a major issue, although I might delay LL) I dunno what else to focus on. It’ll probably be Steam Deck stuff, for instance I’ve never played Cuphead despite owning it on Steam and I was even going to get one of the FF pixel remasters!!!!! Disco Elysium is likely to be the very first game I play in 2023. My Steam library is not gigantic so y’know, feel free to send me your unused codes and I will love you lots

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Escobarbarian posted:

My list:

Horizon Forbidden West
Cult of the Lamb
Mass Effect 2
Sekiro
Chicory
Eastward
Last of Us 2

Thinking ME2 might get the chop first if time gets short.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Escobarbarian posted:

Dragon Quest XI (really wish I’d bought this on a portable console tbh but I’ve played far enough to not want to start again. might play some in a bit)

PS remote play is like the perfect use case for turn-based JRPGs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

Doing it for CoD War Zone makes sense (except not really), but for the base CoD game where it's $70 and never goes on sale? I don't understand this requirement at all. I guess if they are going to pave the way towards free to play CoD across the board.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Playing DQXI fancy edition or whatever it was called on the switch in 2D mode was the best DQXI experience imho

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Except with remote play on the ps4 you could use a macro program to spin the slot machines all night and win infinity tokens, which was handy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Playing DQXI fancy edition or whatever it was called on the switch in 2D mode was the best DQXI experience imho

The 2D mode is so cool!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I justified double dipping to myself by playing it in 2D mode on the switch and it was a great time

acksplode
May 17, 2004

GoW Ragnarok
Plague Tale 2
Ogre Tactics Reborn
Callisto Protocol if reviews are good
Random game pass stuff. Tinykin, maybe Scorn
Sifu. Near the end, just need to get it done
Vagrant Story
Legend of Oasis
Final Fantasy Tactics (maybe not if I get into Ogre Tactics, we'll see)
Klonoa
SotN
FF6
MGS3

Been doing a lot of retro gaming recently. I spent most of the weekend getting sixth gen emulation set up and enjoying the result. Did you know old games are good? Sometimes better than new games. Typing of the Dead stays goated. 3D fighting games peaked at Soulcalibur 2 on GCN.

I said come in! posted:

Doing it for CoD War Zone makes sense (except not really), but for the base CoD game where it's $70 and never goes on sale? I don't understand this requirement at all. I guess if they are going to pave the way towards free to play CoD across the board.

It sounds like they're using SMS to impose MFA on users, so maybe their concern is less people signing up for fake accounts and more people trying to steal existing accounts. If that's the case then they really ought to support authenticator apps, they're more secure and don't have a phone number requirement.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

acksplode posted:

It sounds like they're using SMS to impose MFA on users, so maybe their concern is less people signing up for fake accounts and more people trying to steal existing accounts. If that's the case then they really ought to support authenticator apps, they're more secure and don't have a phone number requirement.

They explicitly said they were using SMS and excluding prepaid numbers to stop banned people from just rolling new accounts with burners for overwatch 2 since it’s F2P now and this is the same poo poo, so it’s both really.

They already support authenticators for battle.net and wow, this is explicitly designed to tie accounts to something harder to change like a phone number to deter cheaters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

just another excuse to harvest data

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Fix posted:

My list:

Horizon Forbidden West
Cult of the Lamb
Mass Effect 2
Sekiro
Chicory
Eastward
Last of Us 2

Thinking ME2 might get the chop first if time gets short.

Me2 is goat, no chop!!!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ME2 added the awful ammo system though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

TLOU1 (just Left Behind to go)
Ghost of Tsushima (about 2/3 of the way through my replay and need to do the DLC for the first time)
God of War Ragnarok (of course!)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (two more worlds and whatever the postgame is)
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection (replay Lost Legacy)
PowerWash Simulator (ok technically I already completed this but there’s still a couple of bonus jobs to do! I must clean all)

Once I’ve gotten through all that (which I don’t foresee being a major issue, although I might delay LL) I dunno what else to focus on. It’ll probably be Steam Deck stuff, for instance I’ve never played Cuphead despite owning it on Steam and I was even going to get one of the FF pixel remasters!!!!! Disco Elysium is likely to be the very first game I play in 2023. My Steam library is not gigantic so y’know, feel free to send me your unused codes and I will love you lots

my list is

- Echoes of the Eye
- Prodeus
- Tactics Ogre Reborn
- A Plague Tale Requiem
- God of War Ragnarok
- The Callisto Protocol
- Sifu
- Stray

SA GOTY is going to be lit this year