Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Got Horizons of Spirit Island for my six year old this Christmas. Ease him into it, and then let him tell my wife that we need the Core Game + 3 Expansions.

Edit: I stand by this threadsnipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
FYI the base, full game is on sale for $52.99 https://www.target.com/p/spirit-island-board-game/-/A-52855127 So you can have it for $35 with the 2-fer.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bottom Liner posted:

Why is that exciting? The debut game from that studio was a wet fart from most reports. They clearly have good marketing going on though because it's getting mass media coverage in a way that singular board game releases don't really.

No idea about the marketing, I just like some of the other stuff Konieczka has been involved in plus the core mechanic seems fun. Gloom gets a lot of play around here too, so the clear card gimmick is one we like. It will be an addition to our light start / end of game session pile.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

FYI the base, full game is on sale for $52.99 https://www.target.com/p/spirit-island-board-game/-/A-52855127 So you can have it for $35 with the 2-fer.

I need to come up with games for the B2G1 at Target. Probably Horizon and a couple 6yo-friendly games.

Is Monopoly Rivals any good? My kid likes Monopoly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can buy 3 cancel 2 and keep the discount

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/wingspan/wingspan-asia/

The next Wingspansion is a 1-2 player standalone game which can be played in the new 2-player Duet mode, or in teams using the new Flock mode (which requires the original game). And you can just add the new birds to the original game as well (and also expand it to support 6-7 players).

Oh, and you can also order it with the new custom storage Nesting Box thing they announced a while ago.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Wow, looks like they're implementing the cross-table simultaneous turns of one of the original Eclipse expansions to support larger games. Don't see that every day.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

PerniciousKnid posted:

I need to come up with games for the B2G1 at Target. Probably Horizon and a couple 6yo-friendly games.

Is Monopoly Rivals any good? My kid likes Monopoly.

Bottom Liner posted:

Mostly everyone grabs three and cancels two buuut if you're wanting to have three games anyway then the best discount will hit if games are similarly priced so keep that in mind. The discount will be applied to the cheapest game.

Here's an incomplete list of Target's inventory: https://www.target.com/c/board-games-puzzles-toys/-/N-5xt9hZdq4mn?moveTo=product-list-grid Not listed there: King's Dilemma, Marvel Dice Throne, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, Raccoon Tycoon, Railroad Ink: Blazing Road, Codenames, Bananagrams.

I don't know children that well and especially cause my hunch is that there's huge variability between what any given six year old can grok. That said, if they like Monopoly - Machi Koro, Raccoon Tycoon, and Sushi Go! scratch the same sort of itch. I don't know about Monopoly Rivals, sorry!

Dixit is a safe choice and Codenames probably is too. I remember playing Rummikub with my grandparents about that age and enjoying it.

Edit: I guess Amazon has a concurrent B2G1 Board Games sale running

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 7, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

How does that work?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Just exactly like that. It's prorated. Add 3 to cart, purchase as 3, cancel 2 of them, the final charge will be the game with 33% off. It'll display the receipt with the discount and taxes for you after you cancel two so you'll see it applied.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Just exactly like that. It's prorated. Add 3 to cart, purchase as 3, cancel 2 of them, the final charge will be the game with 33% off. It'll display the receipt with the discount and taxes for you after you cancel two so you'll see it applied.

So you purchase, and then cancel from the order confirmation? Sounds like a good deal.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Complete the order then immediately go into Orders and cancel from there. It's not really the confirmation, it's just pending orders. It'll probably still work if you don't do it immediately after but you might have to wait 3-5 days for your CC to get everything sorted if you wait. I just completed the order and canceled them from the Orders menu as fast as I could manage. Everything looks sorted.

Edit: the deal is not limited per account. It's probably not limited per order either but I did mine in two separate orders to get 33% off both games. If I was buying a third it's probably still best to buy all three in this way unless they are very similarly priced.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Warp's Edge arrived yesterday and I got it to the table today. Only played the one game cause I felt a touch fried after - just from keeping up with the rules and making sure I was doing everything properly, including a few Google searches.

Decided to go with the scenario book which after the CYOA had me in a Titan, with a Power Skill, facing a Hydra (Two Star difficulty). Besides getting the rules down I think it was a little easy although I did get to Warp 4 and only won for a good draw. Had a lot of fun, looking forward to another go!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY1WrZME6qI

Guy went into Horizons of Spirit Island without any knowledge of Spirit Island, was afraid it'd be a dumbed down version of base Spirit Island, and is disappointed that the game is fullblown Spirit Island game with simpler spirits, the quickstart is too quick. the gameplay isn't smooth, it's clunky, it's more troublesome to play than Pandemic and Horrified, the cover art is bad and like a 90s game, analysis paralysis was a problem, simultaneous turns means the game doesn't really have turns, the board was a mess, and it wasn't a fun experience.

I'm just thinking "my guy, I think you might just not like Spirit Island" lol

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 9, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm just thinking "my guy, I think you might just not like Spirit Island" lol

I got almost the opposite impression, that a lot of his issues were specific to Horizons (components made the board hard to read, quickstart guide was bad as a quickstart guide) and the expectations around it.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
John Company arrived on Thursday, and I got my first play in on Friday. A five-player game of the short 1710 scenario took 3.5 hours, including a rolling teach (I had played once before, another player had played the first edition once before, everybody else was new). It went really well; I think everybody had a good time. The only problem was that all the players were too nice! Our negotiations didn't get as cutthroat and wild as I had seen in my previous play, but there was still plenty of drama, including a player tanking the company in the final round.

However, one thing I didn't particularly like, were the company failure cards. If the company fails, then during scoring you draw a card which hands out some random points or penalties. For example, the card could declare every shipyard is worth negative points, or every company share (which are normally worth negative points when the company fails) are worth positive points instead. These are pretty significant point swings, randomly determined after the game ends so there is nothing anybody can do to react, and which card gets drawn will very likely determine the winner. I suppose I can understand why they are included: by adding a large dose of uncertainty to scoring if the company fails, it disincentivizes players from tanking the company as soon as they get a small lead (as tanking the company seems quite easy to do). The game also has a huge amount of randomness throughout as well, so maybe the company failure cards don't really add any more randomness than unlucky retirement rolls or catastrophic failures do. But still, ending a 3.5 hour game with basically a coinflip was a little disappointing.

All in all, the game was great, but maybe I'll leave out the company failure cards next time I play.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Photux posted:

...by adding a large dose of uncertainty to scoring if the company fails, it disincentivizes players from tanking the company as soon as they get a small lead (as tanking the company seems quite easy to do)...maybe I'll leave out the company failure cards next time I play.

I haven't played yet, but the other randomness in the game is prior to final scoring for a company failure - if you remove the company failure cards how will you disincentivize tanking?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
My group played John Company fair bit during playtesting. I completely agree on the blame cards. Cole had to make tweaks both to limit the power of individual players to bring the company down and to lessen the incentives for doing so. All our early games came down to somebody finding a way to sabotage the company while hedging against it - which is very much part of the design but it swung too heavily that way. The random end game scoring cards are a clunky patch over the problem at best.

Unsatisfying endings do seem to be a running theme with Cole’s games. Pax Pamir has the double scoring of the last dominance check which typically makes the whole game hinge on the final stretch. Root has the “bash the leader until somebody miscalculates” thing. Oath has the Chancellor roll dice to see if you win the game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DashingGentleman posted:

My group played John Company fair bit during playtesting. I completely agree on the blame cards. Cole had to make tweaks both to limit the power of individual players to bring the company down and to lessen the incentives for doing so. All our early games came down to somebody finding a way to sabotage the company while hedging against it - which is very much part of the design but it swung too heavily that way. The random end game scoring cards are a clunky patch over the problem at best.

Unsatisfying endings do seem to be a running theme with Cole’s games. Pax Pamir has the double scoring of the last dominance check which typically makes the whole game hinge on the final stretch. Root has the “bash the leader until somebody miscalculates” thing. Oath has the Chancellor roll dice to see if you win the game.

This is how all board games with semi-coop aspects seem to go. Archipelago used to be a thread favorite, but I always thought it was an awful game.

Games try to get around this by stating in the rules that getting any winning position like 2nd or 3rd place is preferable to completely losing. The problem with this is these rules don't map to reality. They aren't' even "rules" in tritonal sense, in that they they try to dictate psychology rather than game mechanics. The average mindset of a competitive board gamer is that it's better to have everyone lose equally than to not come in first, which for many people is the primary meaningful position that indicates winning. No rule book can change that. Rules that don't actually affect mechanics are usually just poor attempts at fixing fundamental design issues.

It sounds like Cole recognizes this and implemented a mechanistic rule solution that involves scoring cards. It also seems that this is still not satisfying sadly. I did buy John Company 2E (hasn't arrived yet), but hearing this gives me large pause. I probably will leave it boxed and wait for more impressions in case I want to flip it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Megasabin posted:

The average mindset of a competitive board gamer is that it's better to have everyone lose equally than to not come in first, which for many people is the primary meaningful position that indicates winning. No rule book can change that.

I'm reminded of a FAQ/errata for Defenders of the Realm (an earlier co op game) where it "clarified" the MVP rule. MVP was a simple thing where -- in a game where all players win or lose equally -- the player with the most (somethings) was nevertheless declared MVP.

The document detailed a troublesome trend in which the last player would refuse to enter the castle at the game's climax -- tanking the game for all -- unless the other players discarded/traded/whatever to make them the MVP. That was not in the spirit of the game, and it bitterly clarified that all players win or lose equally and the MVP thing in the original rules was really just supposed to be a fun side thing and not something to extort other players over.

I didn't think it was the existence of the MVP rule that "caused" that behavior, it just got the gears turning because it's something one can gain over others, and nature handles the rest.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Came back from Essen Spiel. Board games good.

I'm too tired to cover the heavy gaming stuff but I can recommend Tokaido Duo. Fantastic gateway game for 2 players and it only costs 20 euros.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 22, 2022

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One more thing is that I think the way Oath tried to address things by carrying over the effects of inevitable kingmaking is pretty interesting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tried the Pin Pals board in Super-Skill Pinball Ramp Up and I loved the gimmick. It's a fully coop board (or 2v2) and most of the bonuses you get on the board are actually sent to your partner. There's a suprising amount of strategy and tactics needed to get a good score on this (we had 329 points in total between the two of us), since coordinating what bonuses you get or even when to get a multiball with your partner is key. For example, there's a bumper zone called THE CAGE that can stack a huge amount of points if you are planning well, especially since you get x2 points just by you and your partner being in THE CAGE at the same time.

Overall I really enjoyed it! The gimmick was cool and worked well, although the board didn't have any extreme out there mechanisms. I did have a peek at the racing driver board on the other side though and wooow, that board looks crazy. Can't wait to give it a try as well. I've been really impressed with all of the boards I've tried so far, to be honest.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
it's 2.0 time goons

27 hours in, it's really good. Halfwayish through the core campaign with five more expansions afterward. 2.0 gets rid of all the dumb retracing that reviewers bemoaned, and even has a way to use "new content all the time" mode if you just want to skip the overworld fluff

AS ADVERTISED, maps and objectives are often puzzley and abstract, and you generally spawn in not sure what you're doing aside from some intro story and vague victory condition. There are some very clever puzzles built in to the structure of the game, and level often have some unique mechanics that you learn for that level only to make each more memorable

Probably not a good game though if your group is prefrontalcortexally challenged or full of whiners who get upset if they do The Wrong Thing on accident, since a lot of it is trying A Thing, seeing the outcome, and then determining the logic of the system to understand. Though, very easy to learn, the tutorial map is basically "do the mechanics while reading this story"

Immensely enjoyable if you want more than "this is your exact gloomhavian objective and how the entire adventure will unfold, go move cardboard until the enemies fall down". It's not always fair, sometimes throws the "oh wait, the clearly labeled nightmare box actually did A Bad Thing when we opened it", and a lot of staring at a "finished" map going "hm... I think we're doing something wrong" while enemies close in."

also, production value:

also, there is a mini with titties, so I'm contractually obligated to give it a 5

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

also, there is a mini with titties, so I'm contractually obligated to give it a 5

C'mon man no need to try and rile people up

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Is that a 5/5 or a 5/10?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is that a 5/5 or a 5/10?

No he meant he's high fiving the little bro minis.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is that a 5/5 or a 5/10?

"Five?" you ponder, the cryptic message carried forth to the center of your mind. You continue to sift through the pile when you discover a group of flimsy yellowed posts pushed off to the side. The settled dust on the jumbled assortment of prints reveals its forgotten temperament, and you faintly glimpse faded notations scrawled in the margins as if penned in some sour hand.

It may be a message of some kind. But what could it mean?

If you wish to investigate these writings further, seal one post and read s.42069

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you wish to investigate these writings further, seal one post and read s.42069

Is it too late to get an etherfields doom/mood ho(u)se dream expac made

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I got almost the opposite impression, that a lot of his issues were specific to Horizons (components made the board hard to read, quickstart guide was bad as a quickstart guide) and the expectations around it.

I can’t imagine they messed up this version bad enough to change his opinion of the game though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Cthulhu: Death May Die just came in stock at Boardlandia for $87. I would imagine it will be sold out in a few hours at most.

Edit: It’s not on board game deals or anywhere yet. I got an email because I signed up for an in stock alert and got the alert about a minute before I posted. There no quantity limit noted and nothing about a preorder so they either found some boxes or there was a unannounced reprint.

Edit 2: Instock at Boarding School Games, Asmodee NA, and Atomic Empire as well. Looks like a reprint.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 10, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can you pitch the game to me?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It’s a relatively short (90 mins at most) dungeon crawl where you are on a suicide mission to disrupt a summoning ritual and “kill” an elder one. There are six scenarios in the core box of different settings and elder ones to be defeated. The gameplay is very streamlined unlike the Arkham games and what you can do is pretty straight forward. The game is ridiculous and campy and very different from the bloated Cthulhu games out there.

The game is split into two main phase: Disrupt the Ritual and Kill the Elder God. In the first phase, you usually have to identify/stop/kill cultists so that their ritual goes awry and only summons a weakened version of the elder god. In phase two, you are in a suicide mission to kill the god. Your character gets comically powerful as you fight the god and their minions. In my experience, the game usually ends with everyone dying or nearly dying in the last turn in a suicide mission to kill the god.

Combat is pretty simple dice rolling with some push your luck mechanics and skills and abilities to modify the dice. For the most part, the game is about having fun and the stories that come out of a brawling nun punching The Black Goat to death. There are some balance issues that you might want to house rule with randomized characters and enemy abilities because picking your character can lead to some minmaxing.

I’d probably have more critical comments about the game if it didn’t play so quickly. Some of the components are too small. There are some balance issues. With only the six scenarios in the core box, you might get a little bored after 10+ plays but there are additional seasons that really spice things up.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Cthulhu Death May Die is fun, its our go to game when we don't have anything else planned. One of our group bought all the stretch goals and expansions and whatnot and we've played it on and off for a few years. The characters and their penalties can definitely be unbalanced. I prefer the magic using characters that can use stars as hits, someone else had a pyromaniac in our melee heavy group who managed to set half the group on fire every time. Leveling up is hard since it also gets you closer to insanity. The guy who owns the game and has played it more tends to push his luck more than the rest of us.

The last two missions we did were almost straight up parody and were probably expansion missions. The aliens were abducting cows but we had to load up the cows with explosives first and then herd them into the UFO's beam for one, and for the other an ice cream cart was mind controlling citizens and we had to free them and keep them away while it teleports around and pied pipers them back in. All while cultists of the Cthulhu god of your choice build up to summoning him putting a clock on it. Some neat monster miniatures and plenty of character choices. That said they each have 3 skill lines that are shared among the others so you'll see the same stuff pop up but in different combinations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Saltpowered posted:

Cthulhu: Death May Die just came in stock at Boardlandia for $87. I would imagine it will be sold out in a few hours at most.

there will be a season 3 Cthulhu: DMD KS launching soon:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/dmd-fear-of-the-unknown

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm sure it's come up before, but is Oathsworn any good? The kickstarter for teh repring launches soon, and I was thinking of getting it, since the theme is very much my jam.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Fate Accomplice posted:

there will be a season 3 Cthulhu: DMD KS launching soon:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/dmd-fear-of-the-unknown

Makes sense. Must have done a reprint of the original box while preparing for the campaign launch.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Funzo posted:

I'm sure it's come up before, but is Oathsworn any good? The kickstarter for teh repring launches soon, and I was thinking of getting it, since the theme is very much my jam.

Some impressions I read seemed really positive, enough that I tried to find a copy but :lol: on that, so I'm interested in a reprint.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

The Eyes Have It posted:

Some impressions I read seemed really positive, enough that I tried to find a copy but :lol: on that, so I'm interested in a reprint.

My friends who are connoisseurs of big grand adventure board games (Mage Knight, Tainted Grail, Etherfields) love it. I haven't gotten my copy to the table yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I like Oathsworn and it's one of the very few big campaign games that I've enjoyed enough to stick with (abandoned Tainted Grail, Etherfields, Stars of Akarios among others due to what felt like pretty significant mechanical issues). For what it is, I feel like it does nearly everything right - there are tweaks that I think could improve it but fundamentally it is incredibly well polished so unless there are aspects that you think you might not enjoy (e.g the story sections, which are basically a more complicated choose your own adventure) then I think it's an easy recommend.

Edit: Cthulhu DMD is also extremely good and has been our go-to one-shot dungeon crawler/dice chucker for quite some time.