Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't feel the need. I'm a pretty basic bitch phone user. Listen to podcasts, take pictures, waste time on social media. Same thing everyone else does, I guess.

You should be fine. Most Android people who move over get stressed by the fact they don't have a settings screen the length of The Art of War to constantly play with.

XR is a good phone to mess about with, modern enough that it has most of the features and old enough you can make your wife jealous with a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

canyonero posted:

Has anyone else been having issues with spotlight search? When I search for some things, it behaves as if it's not searching at all. For Maps in particular, it doesn't give me the app itself as a result.

Yeah I had this issue today. Also search Can be slow as hell on a 13 pro max

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apple Music keeps loving up my iTunes library! Today I noticed that iTunes thinks half of my local library is in the cloud (as in only in the cloud). I don't even know fix that. Last month it deleted a decade's worth of "loves".

The cloud feature is great for my phone, but it's been a major pain in the rear end on my Windows desktop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i would pay $20 a month for a streaming music service where the apps were good

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

i would pay $20 a month for a streaming music service where the apps were good

They already killed RDio years ago :negative:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rdio was so loving good. rip.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm considering getting an iPhone for the first time to give it a go. The biggest thing stopping me from switching is that I cannot text from my computer because iMessages seems to only have a mac client, and I'm too heavily invested in the windows world to switch. I'm in front of a computer a lot of the day and I love being able to use google messages and whatsapp on my browser instead of having to pick up my phone all the time.

Knowing that, and the annoyance that it's not USB-C and I'd have to re-buy some apps, are there other things that I'd be missing leaving android that I may not be considering?

I'm also considering a pixel 7 or pixel 7 pro, I have a pixel 4a currently.

I use WhatsApp in a browser or via the windows app on my PC all the time. You’ll still be able to use it with an iPhone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I had this issue today. Also search Can be slow as hell on a 13 pro max

Weird, thought it was just me with my XR.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm already mad that the store kicked pushbullet.

I had it on my XR but it's not a thing anymore.

Not like I had anyone to text from computer but it is nice to be able to long form.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm already mad that the store kicked pushbullet.

I had it on my XR but it's not a thing anymore.

Not like I had anyone to text from computer but it is nice to be able to long form.

I used to be mad about losing Pushbullet too, but now I just use a Discord DM to myself. You can send yourself images, links, attachments, and longform text (with a lower character limit without Discord Nitro). I think I actually like it better than Pushbullet.

EDIT: The only downsides that I wish could be solved with updates are not having push notifications on the mobile device (since you don't get a notification for messaging yourself), and not being able to set up a Shortcut to send a message directly to yourself, at least as far as I've been able to figure out.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

The Grumbles posted:

I use WhatsApp in a browser or via the windows app on my PC all the time. You’ll still be able to use it with an iPhone.

I think I worded that weird, yes I was aware WhatsApp would still work on PC. Good to confirm, I guess.

In the process of installing and logging in to seventy quintillion apps on the XR right now before I swap my sim over.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
My iPhone 14 apparently shut itself off for several hours and then turned back on while sitting on the charger last night.

I had no indication except for when I first picked it up in the morning and it threw up the "iPhone requires your passcode when it restarts" message or whatever. Checking the battery log in the app shows that it turned off at 2AM and then just randomly came back at 5AM. I go to bed at midnight so it definitely wasn't like it crashed as a direct result of any app being actively used. It also wasn't the iOS update, I suspected that when someone posted about the new version but nope. Still on 16.0.2.

I know a couple of people have already posted about something like this happening to them, fortunately I don't use the phone as an alarm or whatever so it didn't cause any problems but uh.. what? I've never had this happen in the billion years I've used iphones so I kinda feel like this doesn't bode well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

POCKET CHOMP posted:

My iPhone 14 apparently shut itself off for several hours and then turned back on while sitting on the charger last night.

I had no indication except for when I first picked it up in the morning and it threw up the "iPhone requires your passcode when it restarts" message or whatever. Checking the battery log in the app shows that it turned off at 2AM and then just randomly came back at 5AM. I go to bed at midnight so it definitely wasn't like it crashed as a direct result of any app being actively used. It also wasn't the iOS update, I suspected that when someone posted about the new version but nope. Still on 16.0.2.

I know a couple of people have already posted about something like this happening to them, fortunately I don't use the phone as an alarm or whatever so it didn't cause any problems but uh.. what? I've never had this happen in the billion years I've used iphones so I kinda feel like this doesn't bode well.

16.0.3 just came out today. Try that out.

Anyone have recommendations for a portable 3 in 1 charger that's not wicked expensive. Something like this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...056b7205d562e7f

I'd rather not pay that much for a charger but I also don't want to burn my house down by using a generic one.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had that right after I updated to iOS 16 as well. Not in the beta either, but the RC. It was super weird and I had to do a restore to unfuck Siri/dictation.

FYI- but do not do this tonight if you updated to 16.0.3 today. My siri/dictation failed out again but surprise, iTunes/Finder are still offering up 16.0.2 for download and spoiler alert- it doesn't work.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jose Oquendo posted:

16.0.3 just came out today. Try that out.

I’ve only had my 14PM crap out on my like that once a few weeks ago

The update can’t fix something they don’t acknowledge

But it might

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There’s no way to disable the screenshot thumbnail, right? I’m saving a lot of screenshots of a show I’m watching and having to dismiss the previews by hand is annoying when I want to capture images in quick succession.

E: on iPad, but presumably that doesn’t make a difference

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The screenshot will not capture that thumbnail so there’s no need to manually dismiss it before taking the next screenshot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, should’ve checked myself.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
AppleCare+ is verifiably good now that I finally used it. That is all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’d like to thank Tim Apple for the ability to swap between different screens on the Lock Screen.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’d like to thank Tim Apple for the ability to swap between different screens on the Lock Screen.

Pop-in after a half second of the weather Lock Screen on iPhone 13 Pro is still occurring on most recent iOS. I am content with the issue existing indefinitely :( I'm sure it doesn't happen on the 14s. And I sure as hell am not gonna do a full wipe of the phone to see if it's something wonky on my device tied with being a 13.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Happened to me yesterday and it is my alarm. Thank god my wife woke me up to see what was up. I was confused as well. Mine was actually off when I got up and I had to hard reset (that changed from last time I did it) to get it on. Weird.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does the SOS mode work? I was cavorting around in a national forest the past several days which meant really spotty cell service.

Sometimes I'd have no bars and no SOS logo, and in other areas the SOS would show up. Does that mean it's found an locked into a satellite signal? Not that I could do anything with it at this point but I am curious.

Also I don't know if it's new battery effect or what but this phone feels like it kills itself a lot slower in areas with no signal. Older models would try so hard to find signal you'd have to turn on airplane mode to avoid a dead battery in a few hours. But the new one only lost 10% overnight.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

SOS doesn’t necessarily mean a satellite, i’ve seen it and don’t have an iphone 14. i assume it just means your signal is either very low, or it’s on a network that your plan isn’t supposed to use except for emergency calls.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

How does the SOS mode work? I was cavorting around in a national forest the past several days which meant really spotty cell service.

Sometimes I'd have no bars and no SOS logo, and in other areas the SOS would show up. Does that mean it's found an locked into a satellite signal? Not that I could do anything with it at this point but I am curious.

I don't think the satellite SOS feature is activated yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

I don't think the satellite SOS feature is activated yet.

The ability to send out a SOS over satellite is there, but I assume the OS has the code to detect a signal. But it could be a bad assumption too, I am not a smart person.

I just wanna know why that SOS appears sometimes and not others. :iiam:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iOS 16 just changed the wording from "No Signal" to "SOS" when you drop out of cell range but might be able to roam on another network for emergency calls. It has nothing to do with satellites.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 12, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

The ability to send out a SOS over satellite is there, but I assume the OS has the code to detect a signal. But it could be a bad assumption too, I am not a smart person.

I just wanna know why that SOS appears sometimes and not others. :iiam:

The mock-ups show a little satellite icon on the top bar and a satellite tracking mini game when you use it. The UI gives you lots of heads up about it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

FCKGW posted:

iOS 16 just changed the wording from "No Signal" to "SOS" when you drop out of cell range but might be able to roam on another network for emergency calls. It has nothing to do with satellites.

I noticed that this weekend. My wife took a scout troop out to a scout reservation in Missouri. We went to visit them (and take home extra supplies) and I could not make a call to her when SOS was on the screen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yep exactly this.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Snowmankilla posted:

Happened to me yesterday and it is my alarm. Thank god my wife woke me up to see what was up. I was confused as well. Mine was actually off when I got up and I had to hard reset (that changed from last time I did it) to get it on. Weird.

Happened to me AGAIN last night - woke up this morning to an off brick - had to force reset. Got an appointment at the Fruit Stand today for unrelated reasons so I’ll ask about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you have access to cell phone signal you’re always allowed to make an emergency call, even if it’s not your usual carrier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

I think this happened to me this morning while I was sleeping? I woke up at one point when the alarm went off but the phone was unresponsive. I went back to sleep and the next time I woke up, the phone was fine.

It’s really distressing since my phone is my only alarm clock to get up for work. 13P on 16.0 here.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MrBond posted:

If you have access to cell phone signal you’re always allowed to make an emergency call, even if it’s not your usual carrier.

Which is why back in the day your used cellie went to your local women's shelter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, how little I use my iPhone (14 Pro) lately, 1h screen active and 3.5h screen idle (whatever that means), and after 48 hours, it's still at 49%.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Braincloud posted:

Happened to me AGAIN last night - woke up this morning to an off brick - had to force reset. Got an appointment at the Fruit Stand today for unrelated reasons so I’ll ask about it.

Let me know what they say if you think about!

Josh Lyman posted:

I think this happened to me this morning while I was sleeping? I woke up at one point when the alarm went off but the phone was unresponsive. I went back to sleep and the next time I woke up, the phone was fine.

It’s really distressing since my phone is my only alarm clock to get up for work. 13P on 16.0 here.

Hmm. 14 pro on 16.0.2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So my dad gave me an iPhone 11 64 to see if I could sell but I’m not quite sure what to do with it. The battery is at 99% but the screen for some reason has these two bright white spots on it.

I checked swappa and the 11 seems to be going for like $280 but they don’t have any screen issues. A new screen is $199 from Apple so a replacement isn’t worth it.

What would be a halfway decent price for this? I’m not even sure how the screen got like this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
my dad's phone has the same thing. I have no idea what dads do to make that happen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

buglord posted:

my dad's phone has the same thing. I have no idea what dads do to make that happen.

Must be some Fantasy sports app, right?

Maybe it's an issue with pressure being applied under the screen to those spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

Right??

Mister Facetious posted:

Must be some Fantasy sports app, right?

Maybe it's an issue with pressure being applied under the screen to those spots

Maybe he doesn’t do any of those apps though.

Anyone know what a fair price would be? Or if a goon needs it make an offer.