Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
From the world of new kitchen equipment news:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7151087290788416810

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ecodKvxd4

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

yea I sympathize with the poster you’re quoting but most consumer goods are disposable trash, and while price is no guarantee of quality it remains unfortunately true that the good stuff is almost always relatively expensive
diminishing returns is also a thing?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i mean almost nobody needs a robot coupe in their home kitchen

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
does robot coupe make a dope rice cooker?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

diminishing returns is also a thing?

oh absolutely

as to the robot coup, it's less about a pile of stupid electronic features and more about engineering and build quality

hence analog Zojirushi rice maker <3

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Wheeee posted:

hence analog Zojirushi rice maker <3

zojirushi is the one kitchen brand i have never ever heard a bad thing about. even instant pots occasionally get a bad rep for squirting everywhere or not cooking beans to the right texture. zojirushi stuff just works. one of their rice cookers is on sale for less than 100 bucks on their website rn, if any goons wanna go buy one.

anyway, i've been asked by my family a bunch about what i want for hannukah and other than an instant pot i'm stumped as to what to ask for. i know i want kitchen equipment, but i'm vegan and i don't drink coffee anywhere near enough to ask for a coffee machine. what devices am i missing that'd make my life easier?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mine doesn't seem to keep rice for days like others report, but I have a small volume and don't really do more than 1.5 us cups

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah I feel like mine also doesn't keep rice as well as it should and i wonder if i'm doing something wrong

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I don't remember who was asking about All Clad factory seconds sales, but I just got an email about one starting today.

https://homeandcooksales.com/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It looks sketchy as gently caress, but I have ordered a few All-Clad items from them and so far I have been very happy. Never noticed any imperfections at all compared to stuff I've ordered directly from All-Clad.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Is there a different one direct from All Clad? I always thought this was the only one and was just super sketchy looking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

you ate my cat posted:

Is there a different one direct from All Clad? I always thought this was the only one and was just super sketchy looking.
It does look sketchy but I think this is the one everyone always uses

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I was looking into getting something like this to organize my pots and pans since I have plenty of cabinet space. Are there any brands that you recommend? I don't mind paying a little extra for quality, and there appears to be an infinite number of variations available.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

you ate my cat posted:

Yeah they have on-site sales as well. We're only a 35 min drive from their factory and had considered going to one of the sales a while back but at that point in our lives we were still too broke to reasonably afford even the discounted scratch & dent prices. And then we ultimately got our All-Clad stuff by means of wedding registry, but if there's another piece we want and there's an on-site sale and we happen to feel like driving to Canonsburg, then we'd hit it up. Also the factory is rad and their manufacturing processes are rad and I want to take a tour (I have only seen a video tour).

All-Clad cookware is fantastic - it's incredibly well made and performant and just looks super good. I can't ever go back to lovely thin-walled cookware now.

And for a kitchen equipment question of my own: we are going to renovate our kitchen in the near future, and would like to set up reduced operations in the dining room so we don't have to subsist entirely on takeout, Wendy's, and snacks during construction. We can move our fridge and pantry goods into the dining room and set up a sort of kitchenette, but will be without a stove and a convenient sink (sink options will be upstairs bathroom sink/tub and laundry sink in our perpetually filthy basement).

The equipment that we currently have include:
- fridges (regular size and beer fridge)
- microwave
- electric griddle
- lovely crockpot
- lovely electric coil burner
- grill and Ooni pizza oven outside

The equipment I'd like to get:
- electric kettle (current one is stovetop)
- induction burner (safer and more efficient than the coil burner)
- rice cooker (kinda want to get a rice cooker anyway, but I think it would be good for making one-burner cooking a bit easier)
- paper plates etc.

With all those things, do we need to bother with an instant pot or any other plug-in cooking gadgets?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you don't have a sink, it's just going to suck so much that I wouldn't bother with serious cooking. I would live on snacks, easy foods, and frozen meals for a month+ before I would try major dishwashing in a bathroom sink on another floor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

you ate my cat posted:

I don't remember who was asking about All Clad factory seconds sales, but I just got an email about one starting today.

Discount (OCTVIP10) -$22.99

This code got me an additional 10%, came from Honey

*edit I think it got me free shipping too.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 10, 2022

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah they have on-site sales as well. We're only a 35 min drive from their factory and had considered going to one of the sales a while back but at that point in our lives we were still too broke to reasonably afford even the discounted scratch & dent prices. And then we ultimately got our All-Clad stuff by means of wedding registry, but if there's another piece we want and there's an on-site sale and we happen to feel like driving to Canonsburg, then we'd hit it up. Also the factory is rad and their manufacturing processes are rad and I want to take a tour (I have only seen a video tour).

All-Clad cookware is fantastic - it's incredibly well made and performant and just looks super good. I can't ever go back to lovely thin-walled cookware now.

And for a kitchen equipment question of my own: we are going to renovate our kitchen in the near future, and would like to set up reduced operations in the dining room so we don't have to subsist entirely on takeout, Wendy's, and snacks during construction. We can move our fridge and pantry goods into the dining room and set up a sort of kitchenette, but will be without a stove and a convenient sink (sink options will be upstairs bathroom sink/tub and laundry sink in our perpetually filthy basement).

The equipment that we currently have include:
- fridges (regular size and beer fridge)
- microwave
- electric griddle
- lovely crockpot
- lovely electric coil burner
- grill and Ooni pizza oven outside

The equipment I'd like to get:
- electric kettle (current one is stovetop)
- induction burner (safer and more efficient than the coil burner)
- rice cooker (kinda want to get a rice cooker anyway, but I think it would be good for making one-burner cooking a bit easier)
- paper plates etc.

With all those things, do we need to bother with an instant pot or any other plug-in cooking gadgets?

Anne has a really good point and I think I'd plan on a lot of grilling, frozen meals and using paper plates. Washing serious amounts of dishes is gonna get old fast if you have to haul it all up and down stairs.

edit: kettles are cool tho, and handy to have even after your kitchen is done.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

If you don't have a sink, it's just going to suck so much that I wouldn't bother with serious cooking. I would live on snacks, easy foods, and frozen meals for a month+ before I would try major dishwashing in a bathroom sink on another floor.

Yeah, I figure for the part when the kitchen is actually being built and we don't have the kitchen sink at all, we'd rely way more heavily on easy frozen stuff and anything that doesn't involve dirtying prep dishes, but in the lead-up, we'll be taking our sweet time DIYing the demo and the sink will probably come out last - it's an old-timey cast iron beast with a drainboard directly mounted to the wall (and not part of any cabinetry) so it can stay operational even if most of the rest of the kitchen is ripped out.

Also, the laundry sink is a monstrous triple basin so it'd be super easy to wash pots down there (waaaaay easier than the bathroom sink). The problem is that the basement is gross and unfinished and I'd want to deep clean around the laundry sink before doing dishes down there. And hang up some plastic sheeting to prevent crumbling parge and dust from getting on everything.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

Discount (OCTVIP10) -$22.99

This code got me an additional 10%, came from Honey

*edit I think it got me free shipping too.

dope. saved me $50 and I got a bunch of upgrades that we've been avoiding getting for years now.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

Also, the laundry sink is a monstrous triple basin so it'd be super easy to wash pots down there (waaaaay easier than the bathroom sink). The problem is that the basement is gross and unfinished and I'd want to deep clean around the laundry sink before doing dishes down there. And hang up some plastic sheeting to prevent crumbling parge and dust from getting on everything.

If you’re planning to add a dishwasher (you should) can you buy it early and hook it up temporarily in the laundry?

w4ddl3d33 posted:

anyway, i've been asked by my family a bunch about what i want for hannukah and other than an instant pot i'm stumped as to what to ask for. i know i want kitchen equipment, but i'm vegan and i don't drink coffee anywhere near enough to ask for a coffee machine. what devices am i missing that'd make my life easier?

Stick blender, stand mixer, i’d say sous vide stick but i don’t know what utility it’d have for a vegan. Anova steam oven maybe if you bake a lot. Alternatively get a grinder and take up coffee

yeah I feel like mine also doesn't keep rice as well as it should and i wonder if i'm doing something wrong

check the silicone gasket and make sure it’s clean and in good condition and that it seals well against the inner pot

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm looking for some small, bar sized cutting boards. Like 8x10 ish. I have a 12x18 one that's too big and unwieldy to wash and dry if I'm just going to dice one onion.

Can't find anything that size on Amazon. I have found lots 8x14 ones but those are still long enough to make cleaning awkward.

Any suggestions? I could just buy another 12x18 and cut it into two, I guess.

Edit: actually searching for "bar cutting board" got me some promising enough results

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 11, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like the Epicurean 8x6 for one onion. They also have a 10x7 if you prefer

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 11, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my usual move for plastic cutting boards has been to buy one and then use a circular saw to cut it to the exact size I want but this is I acknowledge not how most people would or even should approach the problem

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm looking for some small, bar sized cutting boards. Like 8x10 ish. I have a 12x18 one that's too big and unwieldy to wash and dry if I'm just going to dice one onion.

Can't find anything that size on Amazon. I have found lots 8x14 ones but those are still long enough to make cleaning awkward.

Edit: actually searching for "bar cutting board" got me some promising enough results

How’s this?

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Cutting-Board/dp/B082WMZB88/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've got a 3 pack of gorilla grip plastic cutting boards I replace every 3-4 years that do the job.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Happiness Commando posted:

Seconding Epicurean. They’re the best I’ve ever used.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm looking for a dishwasher safe lacquerware/ceramic bento box for serving Japanese style meals at home. Any suggestions? Kinda surprised I'm having trouble finding this, everything I see is plastic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm looking for a dishwasher safe lacquerware/ceramic bento box for serving Japanese style meals at home. Any suggestions? Kinda surprised I'm having trouble finding this, everything I see is plastic.

How many kobata (compartments)? Does it have to be pinku (pink)?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

This *is* is the official/direct from all clad one.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Since it's on sale now at the bald guy bookstore, are there any disadvantages to the low-profile Vitamix (specifically Professional Series 750, model 1957) as compared to the standard height container? They're 64 oz either way, so the main question is whether the low-profile container performs the same as the standard. Other than that, I guess once in a blue moon I'd have to cut or break something that's too tall to fit in the low-profile container...but I don't see that being a huge dealbreaker.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t heard anything bad about the shorter one. Mine is the tall kind, and I can see lots of advantages to having a shorter one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He's not bald he just has a bezz cut

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

JoshGuitar posted:

Since it's on sale now at the bald guy bookstore, are there any disadvantages to the low-profile Vitamix (specifically Professional Series 750, model 1957) as compared to the standard height container? They're 64 oz either way, so the main question is whether the low-profile container performs the same as the standard. Other than that, I guess once in a blue moon I'd have to cut or break something that's too tall to fit in the low-profile container...but I don't see that being a huge dealbreaker.

The only negative I’ve seen on the shorter ones are that they are wider at the base. This means you need to make more of something to ensure it blends correctly. Don’t quote me on these numbers but an example would be you only need a cup of stuff in the tall version versus 1.5 cups in the short version.

I went with the tall version for that reason, back when I had ample counter space and clearance with my cabinets. We use it for smoothies a lot and we typically just make enough for one smoothie or maybe 2.

Now I’m in a place where I don’t have a ton of space and I really wish we’d gone with the shorter one. I’d rather make a little extra of something and be able to stow the machine because it’s not like I’m using the thing every single day.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

hypnophant posted:

If you’re planning to add a dishwasher (you should) can you buy it early and hook it up temporarily in the laundry?

Dishwasher is DEFINITELY planned, as we do not have one currently and it sucks a lot. We haven't ordered it yet, but even if we were to get it early I don't think there's a reasonably workable placement in the basement - the washing machine is hooked up to one of the laundry sink basins (there are no dedicated hookups), and the dryer blocks another, leaving one accessible basin. So I guess if we get stupidly long hoses and let it empty into the floor drain, we could have the dishwasher and still keep one basin, but that might not be worth it unless the kitchen remodel gets heavily delayed or something.

Actually one thing I'm really kicking myself over is not pressing harder for the purchase and installation of a portable dishwasher right when we bought the house in 2018. Husband was imagining a much more optimistic timeline for the kitchen remodel and didn't want to get too comfortable/complacent with a temporary setup. Then the pandemic happened and completely derailed our plans and also tripled the amount of dishes we were washing because we were eating all meals at home. Would have been REALLY nice to have that portable dishwasher...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nwin posted:

The only negative I’ve seen on the shorter ones are that they are wider at the base. This means you need to make more of something to ensure it blends correctly. Don’t quote me on these numbers but an example would be you only need a cup of stuff in the tall version versus 1.5 cups in the short version.

I went with the tall version for that reason, back when I had ample counter space and clearance with my cabinets. We use it for smoothies a lot and we typically just make enough for one smoothie or maybe 2.

Now I’m in a place where I don’t have a ton of space and I really wish we’d gone with the shorter one. I’d rather make a little extra of something and be able to stow the machine because it’s not like I’m using the thing every single day.

This is actually the reason why we returned the Vitamix we bought that had the shorter, wider vessel. We just had to make more of whatever we were blending for it to work properly and make a good vortex, and most of the time we just didn't want or need to make that much.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Queen Victorian posted:

Dishwasher is DEFINITELY planned, as we do not have one currently and it sucks a lot. We haven't ordered it yet, but even if we were to get it early I don't think there's a reasonably workable placement in the basement - the washing machine is hooked up to one of the laundry sink basins (there are no dedicated hookups), and the dryer blocks another, leaving one accessible basin. So I guess if we get stupidly long hoses and let it empty into the floor drain, we could have the dishwasher and still keep one basin, but that might not be worth it unless the kitchen remodel gets heavily delayed or something.

Actually one thing I'm really kicking myself over is not pressing harder for the purchase and installation of a portable dishwasher right when we bought the house in 2018. Husband was imagining a much more optimistic timeline for the kitchen remodel and didn't want to get too comfortable/complacent with a temporary setup. Then the pandemic happened and completely derailed our plans and also tripled the amount of dishes we were washing because we were eating all meals at home. Would have been REALLY nice to have that portable dishwasher...

The portable dishwashers I've used kinda sucked, so you might not have been missing out on much. Or maybe I just got unlucky with 'em, but they're small and cumbersome to attach to the sink every time you want to use them and they don't clean great, in my experience.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

This is actually the reason why we returned the Vitamix we bought that had the shorter, wider vessel. We just had to make more of whatever we were blending for it to work properly and make a good vortex, and most of the time we just didn't want or need to make that much.

I got the shorter wider one and while this is true I’ve never blended anything in such small amounts that I’ve ever run into this problem. But that’s just me, I always do things in big batches

Also the tall thin one wouldn’t fit under my low cabinets in my minibar

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

aw frig aw dang it posted:

The portable dishwashers I've used kinda sucked, so you might not have been missing out on much. Or maybe I just got unlucky with 'em, but they're small and cumbersome to attach to the sink every time you want to use them and they don't clean great, in my experience.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had one so things may be different in TYOOL 2022 but in my experience countertop dishwashers don’t work worth poo poo.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Wheeee posted:

It’s been a long time since I’ve had one so things may be different in TYOOL 2022 but in my experience countertop dishwashers don’t work worth poo poo.

A portable dishwasher is a full-size (18” or 24”) dishwasher in a wheeled cabinet, it will not fit on a countertop.

My experience is they’re on par with a bargain-tier apartment dishwasher, which is to say, better in every way than having no dishwasher at all. But they take up a lot of space and aren’t any cheaper than a built-in dishwasher, so the only reason have one is if the kitchen isn’t outfitted for, and you can’t install, a regular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

you ate my cat posted:

Nice, $300 off the stock pot I wanted. Feels great!