Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mabels big day posted:

Ngl i thought all of this was the same school year

:hmmyes: Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They mentioned when moving into the temp dorms that they would've been second year by now if all this poo poo hadn't gone down. Crazy that My Hero Academia can't even do a single Academia.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Crosspeice posted:

They mentioned when moving into the temp dorms that they would've been second year by now if all this poo poo hadn't gone down. Crazy that My Hero Academia can't even do a single Academia.

I think they mention something like this at the start of the current anime season? I was confused, myself.

Edit: to be fair, the school conceit was abandoned, anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 6, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They were basically at the end of their first year when the war arc happened and by now they would have been in the beginning of their second year if society hadn't collapsed.

Remember that the last normal thing they did before the war was their little class Christmas party.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If things were a little better planned I think the story should have spread out on the timeline so theyd be 3 or 4 years in, and it would be more believable that the students got stronger in time for this war

I get the impression they may have wanted things to run through more full in-universe school years

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

mabels big day posted:

If things were a little better planned I think the story should have spread out on the timeline so theyd be 3 or 4 years in, and it would be more believable that the students got stronger in time for this war

I get the impression they may have wanted things to run through more full in-universe school years

I just don't think Horikoshi had any real ongoing ideas for more good school content. Most of the school stuff was an interminable series of tournament arcs, very occasionally broken up by good unique stuff(the school festival). Class A vs B was really the poster child for the problem he was starting to run into - you can only have the class members fight each other with no stakes in so many ways before it starts to get incredibly boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I just don't think Horikoshi had any real ongoing ideas for more good school content. Most of the school stuff was an interminable series of tournament arcs, very occasionally broken up by good unique stuff(the school festival). Class A vs B was really the poster child for the problem he was starting to run into - you can only have the class members fight each other with no stakes in so many ways before it starts to get incredibly boring.

I know it's nearly impossible for a shonen but I honestly think the strongest moments of the series were where the fights were secondary or didn't matter and they had to deal with problems like "extremely annoying children" or the school festival. Those moments also allowed the less combaty members to shine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I know it's nearly impossible for a shonen but I honestly think the strongest moments of the series were where the fights were secondary or didn't matter and they had to deal with problems like "extremely annoying children" or the school festival. Those moments also allowed the less combaty members to shine.

Those secondary moments were also the moments where the whole idea of "this is a series about people wanting to be heroes" shined through the most.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Them learning and practicing were always great. Unfortunately literally half the time they had any school activity it was invaded by villains and it turned into the other thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

i dont think its impossible. to go back to the dc animated universe as mentioned earlier, justice league unlimited got a fair amount of use of the less combat-y justice league members like question and the atom. and in terms of shonen manga, hunter x hunter had the entire yorknew arc where the only real fights were the stuff with uvogin in the middle. i think a plot with clever enough construction could easily allow for shonen level stakes and tension without direct punchups.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont think its impossible. to go back to the dc animated universe as mentioned earlier, justice league unlimited got a fair amount of use of the less combat-y justice league members like question and the atom. and in terms of shonen manga, hunter x hunter had the entire yorknew arc where the only real fights were the stuff with uvogin in the middle. i think a plot with clever enough construction could easily allow for shonen level stakes and tension without direct punchups.

I mean, that's basically the trademark of Jump's famous Ashirogi Muto creative team. It's been done.

It's just trickier to pull off, and when you're on a weekly deadline, trickier to pull off doesn't leave you much room to improvise, so it falls by the wayside in most longer series.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kanos posted:

Let me rephrase: i dont want the series to be longer or padded out with extra boring school content. I want more in-world time to skip between events shown in the manga so the characters can be stronger and cooler. As for what Horikoshi wanted, I think early on he may have thought he could write the story for longer but somewhere around the class A vs B arc he/the editors started to make plans to wrap things up.

I don't know. I'd just buy the final war effort being headlined by the students more if they were seniors or whatever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Let me rephrase: i dont want the series to be longer or padded out with extra boring school content. I want more in-world time to skip between events shown in the manga so the characters can be stronger and cooler. As for what Horikoshi wanted, I think early on he may have thought he could write the story for longer but somewhere around the class A vs B arc he/the editors started to make plans to wrap things up.

I don't know. I'd just buy the final war effort being headlined by the students more if they were seniors or whatever.

If you just timeskip a lot without showing anything in between, nothing really changes about the series beyond "Class A is 18 instead of 16". Like I guess you might get some slightly older character designs out of it but nothing else would really change.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, that's basically the trademark of Jump's famous Ashirogi Muto creative team. It's been done.

It's just trickier to pull off, and when you're on a weekly deadline, trickier to pull off doesn't leave you much room to improvise, so it falls by the wayside in most longer series.

That team is also explicitly a pair working together, with one half working exclusively on the writing and plotting. Also see Eyeshield 21/Dr. Stone.

If Hori had a writer I think this series could've pulled off a lot better the stuff that's been discussed this past page. But at the same time I don't think he would've conceded to share autonomy over his work.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

If you just timeskip a lot without showing anything in between, nothing really changes about the series beyond "Class A is 18 instead of 16". Like I guess you might get some slightly older character designs out of it but nothing else would really change.

That's not true. It also lets you have stuff happen offpanel without devoting a 20-chapter arc to it. This especially allows secondary characters (e.g., Momo, Kirishima, Ojiro, Sero) to develop and change, and leaves a lot of "negative space" that's fertile ground for the fans and/or animation adaptation to go wild filling in that space.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not true. It also lets you have stuff happen offpanel without devoting a 20-chapter arc to it. This especially allows secondary characters (e.g., Momo, Kirishima, Ojiro, Sero) to develop and change, and leaves a lot of "negative space" that's fertile ground for the fans and/or animation adaptation to go wild filling in that space.

Having important stuff that shapes and helps the characters grow happen off-panel or getting filled in by fanfiction/anime movies that come out years after the fact isn't really something I'd be terribly excited about, especially since one of the primary problems a lot of people in this thread have with the manga right now is that most of the characters get no on-panel growth.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4306/my-hero-academia-chapter-369

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Was not predicting a loving hard cut to Spinner

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
honestly audacious for All for One to be like "aw I haven't even begun to bullshit"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's Spinner's time to shine!!!!

Honestly though I don't remember what was going on with Spinner now. Why was he looking all muscled out and drooling?

TheHan posted:

honestly audacious for All for One to be like "aw I haven't even begun to bullshit"

Seriously what the gently caress?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Eggplant Squire posted:

Honestly though I don't remember what was going on with Spinner now. Why was he looking all muscled out and drooling?

I don't believe we've been told exactly what happened to him. Something that wacky AFO did, I'd guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TheHan posted:

I think this is maybe the 3rd time this has been said about just this fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can only hope that we never see Shigaraki's 7 layer dip of bullshit or if we do all it is him owning himself over and over again because he doesn't know how to use any quirk besides his own.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eggplant Squire posted:

It's Spinner's time to shine!!!!

AFO gave him some extra quirks before the battle, which presumably doesn’t give him much longer to live.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is the implication that All for One was so upset that someone with a "weak" quirk challenged him that he started loving crying?

Because that's hilarious.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Funny that he's relying on hulked out Spinner to save him and not his old body that is currently running around in its prime. I hope when All For One inevitably sacrifices Spinner to save himself, it's what finally causes Shiggy to fully rebel against him. You can't kill his gamer buddy!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Honestly, given the combination of quirks in OfA I can kinda see how All Might wound up with super strength. He wasn't consciously tapping into anything specific but I could see a mix of these quirks expressing as super strength.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Shinjobi posted:

Honestly, given the combination of quirks in OfA I can kinda see how All Might wound up with super strength. He wasn't consciously tapping into anything specific but I could see a mix of these quirks expressing as super strength.

The Super-Strength is explicitly the strength stockpiling quirk, although All Might may have been using other stuff without realising (it's pointed out he was super natural with One for All's absurd physical power so he might not have even noticed what he was doing).

But like, the additional quirks are on top of a super strength thing that comes from the strength stockpile quirk which is the quirk AfO gave to his seemingly quirkless brother (whose quirk was actually similar to All for One's quirk, except One for All can only be willingly given to another alongside any quirks it has collected).

In theory, Izuku's now using those additional quirks besides the strength stockpile, to make up for the fact that he flat out cannot use the same level of physical force All Might could in his prime.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's funny is that AFO and OFA were a late addition to the story when the series was being developed but I actually think they're a good dynamic in terms of explaining the mindset of heroes and villains in the purest sense.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I still laugh any time I see "AFO" in the dialogue.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
AFO these n-

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime finally got around to adapting Mirko’s best fight in this week’s episode (and completely uncensored to boot)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 8, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

You actually had me going there for a second. :golfclap:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Translation's out, but phone-posting so I can't be bothered to link it.

I like the lettering on the quad-smash. That's about everything good I have to say about it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

Translation's out, but phone-posting so I can't be bothered to link it.

Oh right, I forgot about this.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-369/chapter/25634?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014544

It came out 1 day later than usual? Was yesterday a holiday?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

okay it's very funny to have deku detail meticulously how he's comboing his quirks and then have the second be like "so you see all for one it was never about the meta abilities themselves, it's about why people use them." I get the intent but those probably should have been not on the literal same page.

also somehow in the speedscans it went over my head that AFO could literally see and talk to the OFA ghosts and that bizarrely feels sillier than whatever I had previously inferred (which I guess was that they were both separately monologuing at each other about relevant points despite not being able to hear each other; maybe I have been watching too much g-reco). I guess a reckoning between AFO and the brother he betrayed was always obviously in the offing given quirk ghosts but I assumed it'd be more of a final grace note after AFO's defeat.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Valentin posted:

okay it's very funny to have deku detail meticulously how he's comboing his quirks and then have the second be like "so you see all for one it was never about the meta abilities themselves, it's about why people use them." I get the intent but those probably should have been not on the literal same page.

It feels very "I made this startup into a billion dollar company with just hard work, late nights, and a $500 million loan from my parents."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The idea is that the super powerful combination only exists because these people willingly passed them on to others

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SKULL.GIF posted:

It came out 1 day later than usual? Was yesterday a holiday?

Sports day, a public holiday in Japan, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The idea is that the super powerful combination only exists because these people willingly passed them on to others

right, sure, I get what it's going for. it's just not a cleanly enough made point (or frankly, a meaningful or interesting enough one) to not feel like it's undermining itself.

also it rings a little hollow against the guy whose whole gimmick is making powerful combos out of quirks he took from people unwillingly. yeah I guess their intents will matter when their quirk ghosts rebel and kill him but that's a single blip weighed against like a century of quirk theft actually working great