Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
deez nuts? spring nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

"Why can't you make it to work? You only live 2 miles a way."
"Well I have to do about 8 full engine rebuilds on the way."

I know you’re joking, but this screenshot is from a drag and drive event where they’ll put almost a thousand miles on the car over the course of a week, so it’s not as bad as all that. But it is still amusing to hear him talk about how happy he is with the insides of a motor with 1500 miles on it.

Speaking of horrible mechanical failures, he’s got a spectacular one here. Custom rod delete on his 6 second roadmaster wagon. This is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. He’s not much of a personality, and spends a lot of time worrying about what the people in the comments are saying, but he knows how to build a real motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=com9fTAr7eU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That is some awesome carnage.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

That is some awesome carnage.

Yeah, looking at the broken rim around the top of the oil pan gave me pause to the point I didn’t notice his shirt visible behind the 9 inch hole in the bottom of the pan. :stare: I mean, if you’re gonna go out, go big.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wow goddamn, guts came out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Every single con rod detonated. How in the gently caress?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

funeral home DJ posted:

Yeah, looking at the broken rim around the top of the oil pan gave me pause to the point I didn’t notice his shirt visible behind the 9 inch hole in the bottom of the pan. :stare: I mean, if you’re gonna go out, go big.

I was too busy paying attention to him pulling chunks out that every time he pulled a piece out of a new hole it was a :stare: from me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Every single con rod detonated. How in the gently caress?

The data logger he went through showed two drops in oil pressure, the first one somewhat smaller and the second precipitous. First rod went, blew a hole out, oil pressure dropped, and the engine rapidly oil starved and beat itself up at 8k rpm, then blew several more holes as each rod went in succession? Maybe hand-in-hand with suspect metallurgy in that batch of con rods?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Arrath posted:

I was too busy paying attention to him pulling chunks out that every time he pulled a piece out of a new hole it was a :stare: from me.

The data logger he went through showed two drops in oil pressure, the first one somewhat smaller and the second precipitous. First rod went, blew a hole out, oil pressure dropped, and the engine rapidly oil starved and beat itself up at 8k rpm, then blew several more holes as each rod went in succession? Maybe hand-in-hand with suspect metallurgy in that batch of con rods?

i'm pretty sure he talks in later videos, where he actually repairs that block, that this is the first time he's used those con rods and he put them in his own engine specifically to test them. they obviously weren't up to snuff and he's been talking to the manufacturer about what went wrong

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 22, 2022

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Large Testicles posted:

i'm pretty sure he talks in later videos, where he actually repairs that block, that this is the first time he's used those con rods and he put them in his own engine specifically to test them. they obviously weren't up to snuff and he's been talking to the manufacturer about what went wrong

Yeah if you watch the whole video you can see that all the rod and main bearings are fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Large Testicles posted:

It's been a while since I watched the videos but I think he even mentions that he was using them beyond what the manufacturer was willing to say they'll hold up to. It sounded like it was a case of "we've seen them used reliably up to X horsepower but don't know what the actual limit is" and now they know it's somewhere below whatever he was making.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
With how many of them failed (all 8) there's a very strong case to be made that the material batch was bad and this is on the material supplier not the rod manufacturer or Steve.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

kastein posted:

With how many of them failed (all 8) there's a very strong case to be made that the material batch was bad and this is on the material supplier not the rod manufacturer or Steve.

i agree with you but at the same time, it failed near the end of the run when he had like 55lbs of boost and the motor is turning over 7k. even good rods are likely to eat poo poo if the balance gets completely out of whack from other rods breaking at that point so they won't know until they do the material testing

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LifeSunDeath posted:

just watched this video and I'm not gonna post it here but the guy gets blasted in the balls hardcore:

poo poo here's the link tho:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/xi4hdd/thats_gonna_sting_for_a_bit/

Oof. I'm dropping that into our unofficial work chat. So many people on an assembly line have no idea of how bad a spring can gently caress up your day.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

just watched this video and I'm not gonna post it here but the guy gets blasted in the balls hardcore:

poo poo here's the link tho:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/xi4hdd/thats_gonna_sting_for_a_bit/

I know its not good form but I've placed the strut between two wheels on their side (which you most likely have laying around doing a spring change) and impacted it off before. Usually only slides the wheels like 2 inches each way.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Rolled up label for 'CHEESE NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION'.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pretty sure I could back the truck into the dock just fine. What? Ohhhhhh, you mean back the truck up to the dock, not crash into it?
I've been doing it wrong.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It appears that Milwaukee has done a dumb. They've redesigned the 2767 1/2" high-torque impact that has been so incredibly tough - it's the one Torque Test Channel modded with a gas weedeater engine and nitrous and made 1000+ pound-feet of torque with - and it's a piece of poo poo. It looks exactly the same on the outside, but some bean counter had them redesign how the planetary gears are fixed, and now they break after a couple lug nuts:

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukees-m18-fuel-2767-impact-wrench-probems/

The idiots put the axle pins of the planetary gears in single shear, AND removed a bearing for the planetary cage. Actually, they basically eliminated the planetary cage altogether.

There's a video at the end from Torque Test Channel, which is where I actually saw this first.

This is incredibly disappointing. "Value Management" destroying every ounce of reputation and good will they had for this tool, and probably the company. I mean, what else will they value manage next?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One thing AvE was right about is that they're always slowly lowering quality, once enough people complain, they'll put on a big campaign about how tough their tools are, maybe move final assembly to the US.

Work uses all Milwaukee, and I was excited to use these tools that always come out on top in head-to-head reviews, and they're not great, especially the drills, even more plastic than my DeWalts, chucks with teeth that become smooth with relatively little use. We have an application that requires sustained high-torque operation, and I got the big 18V Hole-Hawg because we'd have to change out the smaller drills when they got too hot.

Huge disappointment, it torques out under moderate load, and the motor trashed itself after about 30 minutes of operation.

:sad:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Welcome to last week in a couple other threads (or maybe earlier this week?) :v:

Darchangel posted:

it's the one Torque Test Channel modded with a gas weedeater engine and nitrous and made 1000+ pound-feet of torque with -

Thats not that impressive since they already had 1000 ftlbs in forward and 1400 in reverse.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elviscat posted:

We have an application that requires sustained high-torque operation, and I got the big 18V Hole-Hawg because we'd have to change out the smaller drills when they got too hot.

:sad:

what are you guys drilling into constantly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just get Makita. Japan makes good stuff and I think their corporate culture doesn't really allow for the "we traded our reputation for money by cheaping out on the product" thing.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I've always been a little jealous of the team red tool selection but this is really making my team blue buy-in a decade ago seem far better long term.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

LifeSunDeath posted:

what are you guys drilling into constantly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEvomyYkIPY&t=135s

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Milwaukee is stopping sales of the new design and reverting to the original design.

All tools sold with the new design can be returned direct to Milwaukee for replacement with the original design, and store inventory will be completely reverted to the original design by Nov 1.

So, they hosed up, but at least they are doing the right thing. It does sound like they're having some quality creep though, which is worrying.

Serial code H96A is the good one, H96B is the bad one.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 7, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

Just get Makita. Japan makes good stuff and I think their corporate culture doesn't really allow for the "we traded our reputation for money by cheaping out on the product" thing.

I'm less convinced of this than I was in the mid 90s.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sagebrush posted:

I was really impressed with the DeWalt DCF982 I got. It's almost too much impact wrench for my needs. I kind of figured 600lbs was marketspeak, but uh, it does 600 lbs tightening without a sweat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Nissan.

Mitsubishi.

Hope that helps. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Muntzing never works.

Stop trying to Muntz things.

`Nemesis posted:

Milwaukee is stopping sales of the new design and reverting to the original design.

All tools sold with the new design can be returned direct to Milwaukee for replacement with the original design, and store inventory will be completely reverted to the original design by Nov 1.

So, they hosed up, but at least they are doing the right thing. It does sound like they're having some quality creep though, which is worrying.

That’s got to be expensive.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
horrible marketing failure

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

`Nemesis posted:

horrible marketing failure

Go and demand they change the oil.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sharkytm posted:

Go and demand they change the oil.

And record the conversation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Good chance they'll "do it", hand over an invoice and send you on your way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

STR posted:

Nissan.

Mitsubishi.

Hope that helps. :v:
I'll agree with Nissan, but I just can't with mitsu. I recognize it's totally anecdote and probably full of bias, but my family has periodically had Mitsubishi's for years (since the 80s if you include Dodge Colts) and while they've been total boring appliance vehicles, they have been absolutely dead nuts reliable. At least as reliable as the Hondas and Toyotas we've had. Potentially more so.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And record the conversation.

They'll record your car and submit it to just rolled in

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I'll agree with Nissan, but I just can't with mitsu. I recognize it's totally anecdote and probably full of bias, but my family has periodically had Mitsubishi's for years (since the 80s if you include Dodge Colts) and while they've been total boring appliance vehicles, they have been absolutely dead nuts reliable. At least as reliable as the Hondas and Toyotas we've had. Potentially more so.

Crank walk. :v:

Their stuff (not counting the 4G63 after crank walk struck) is reliable, just... boring as hell, and tends to do that GM thing where the car falls apart around the drivetrain. They'll also finance just about anyone, much like Nissan.

They use Jatco CVTs just like Nissan, but they're putting a hell of a lot less power through them. I'd still consider one if I needed an appliance and a long warranty, but the local Mitsu dealer is scummy as hell.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 10, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Welcome to last week in a couple other threads (or maybe earlier this week?) :v:

Thats not that impressive since they already had 1000 ftlbs in forward and 1400 in reverse.

Not according to the Torque Test Channel.
745-ish in forward stock, and the gas powered one only goes in forward (1100+ foot pounds.)

I didn't see any other threads with this info, but I don't sub to the tools thread or whatever. Thought it fit it here just fine. So if you knew previously, you failed to post it in the appropriate place, didn't you? :P

`Nemesis posted:

Good.
Milwaukee is supposed to be the actual "you need a good reliable tool" brand, not the homeowner brand.
I just use Ryobi because it's good enough for what I do. I'll move up if and when I start breaking tools enough to justify the additional cost, or just flat out need mo' powah.
I was considering the Milwaukee impacts because the Ryobi 1/2" isn't particularly spectacular, but Team Red is just so damned expensive - not just the tool, but the batteries and charger. The Dewalt that nitrogen mentions is another option (TTC likes those as well) but they recently tested the new HF Hercules "High-Torque" and "Ultra Torque" models, and they did well against the Dewalt and Milwaukee respectively, for a bit (around $60 for the tools - more for the batteries) cheaper. They were really impressed that HF is selling a 12.0Ah battery for $140 (versus $260 for Milwaukee 12.0.)
I like that TTC tests the various brands against each other, weeding out the BS.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Darchangel posted:

745-ish in forward stock, and the gas powered one only goes in forward (1100+ foot pounds.)

I didn't see any other threads with this info, but I don't sub to the tools thread or whatever. Thought it fit it here just fine. So if you knew previously, you failed to post it in the appropriate place, didn't you? :P

Good.
Milwaukee is supposed to be the actual "you need a good reliable tool" brand, not the homeowner brand.
I just use Ryobi because it's good enough for what I do. I'll move up if and when I start breaking tools enough to justify the additional cost, or just flat out need mo' powah.
I was considering the Milwaukee impacts because the Ryobi 1/2" isn't particularly spectacular, but Team Red is just so damned expensive - not just the tool, but the batteries and charger. The Dewalt that nitrogen mentions is another option (TTC likes those as well) but they recently tested the new HF Hercules "High-Torque" and "Ultra Torque" models, and they did well against the Dewalt and Milwaukee respectively, for a bit (around $60 for the tools - more for the batteries) cheaper. They were really impressed that HF is selling a 12.0Ah battery for $140 (versus $260 for Milwaukee 12.0.)
I like that TTC tests the various brands against each other, weeding out the BS.

Yeah, I have the big dewalt impact and it is very good. Less expensive and slightly fewer ft lbs but not in a way that matters for any of us, I think. I’m skeptical of anything HF but I know they’ve made a few good things.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

The Dewalt that nitrogen mentions is another option (TTC likes those as well) but they recently tested the new HF Hercules "High-Torque" and "Ultra Torque" models, and they did well against the Dewalt and Milwaukee respectively, for a bit (around $60 for the tools - more for the batteries) cheaper. They were really impressed that HF is selling a 12.0Ah battery for $140 (versus $260 for Milwaukee 12.0.)

Those Torque numbers are the same as the old corded tools horsepower ratings, maybe generously achievable under a biased manufacturer's test.

I'd also bet a HF "12 Ah" battery has way less actual amp hours than the equivalent Milwaukee or Dewalt.

I have the big Dewalt 1/2", and it's awesome, a step down from the equivalent Milwaukee, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Steve Morris has a failed engine, where an air leak from the intake is hot enough to melt the fuel injectors. Puts in perspective how ridiculous these engines are, and how big the cooling capacity of vaporizing methanol is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwdWo1nLzGE&t=156s