Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magnetic North posted:

I don't understand where the 20 comes from. Also, how do the old border cards fit into this? They're in their own slot, right? So doesn't that change the odds?

There are 10 dual lands. Since they are in the pool twice, it's like there's 20 dual lands. The old border slot applies to any card so it has no impact

quote:

Speaking of Volcanic Island, we know the dual lands are an iconic part of Magic's early history, so each dual land appears twice as frequently as any other non-dual land rare. This is true for both modern frame and retro frame dual lands.
The old border card can be any card in the set, and only appears in 3 of ten packs. So .3 * .nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

There are 10 dual lands. Since they are in the pool twice, it's like there's 20 dual lands. The old border slot applies to any card so it has no impact

The old border card can be any card in the set, and only appears in 3 of ten packs. So .3 * .nothing

did something change or did i misread it but i thought it was an old border in each pack, 30% of the old border will be rares

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

did something change or did i misread it but i thought it was an old border in each pack, 30% of the old border will be rares

Oh you're right:

~16% + A percent (three-tenths chance of getting ten-in-113 chance. A little more if the duals are doubled here too.)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Magnetic North posted:

I'm late on this (not because I didn't hear but because I was kinda busy when news broke). Simulators are nice, but does anyone have a link to someone smart who has a math breakdown of the odds? All the links Google is giving me are ones on Reddit, which is having a moment right now.

Here is a sheet with calculations for the EV https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCisBWZ1GU2DjJzmGWCBLWYHDgnC7-kptPvG0IkBkdg/edit#gid=1030213132

Also these calculations for odds from here https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/arti...4-f8503528386e/

"According to the announcement, each pack contains one Rare and one retro frame slot, which contains a Rare approximately three out of ten times. Taking all this into account, the probability P[No Lotus] that neither the Rare nor the retro frame slot features a Black Lotus is 122/123 * (0.7 + 0.3 * 122/123) = 0.9895. This means that the probability to open at least one Black Lotus in a single pack, 1 - P[No Lotus], is 1.05%, and the probability to open at least one Black Lotus in four packs, 1 - P[No Lotus]^4, is 4.15%."

"But how likely is that? Well, let's run the numbers. The Power Nine is comprised of all five Moxen, Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, and Timetwister. The probability that the Rare slot contains Power is 9/123 and the probability that the retro frame slot contains Power is 0.3 * 9/123. Multiplying both probabilities yields 0.16%. So approximately one out of every 623 packs will contain two pieces of the Power Nine"

goodness fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 10, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

goodness posted:

Here is a sheet with calculations for the EV https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCisBWZ1GU2DjJzmGWCBLWYHDgnC7-kptPvG0IkBkdg/edit#gid=1030213132

Also these calculations for odds from here https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/arti...4-f8503528386e/

"According to the announcement, each pack contains one Rare and one retro frame slot, which contains a Rare approximately three out of ten times. Taking all this into account, the probability P[No Lotus] that neither the Rare nor the retro frame slot features a Black Lotus is 122/123 * (0.7 + 0.3 * 122/123) = 0.9895. This means that the probability to open at least one Black Lotus in a single pack, 1 - P[No Lotus], is 1.05%, and the probability to open at least one Black Lotus in four packs, 1 - P[No Lotus]^4, is 4.15%."

"But how likely is that? Well, let's run the numbers. The Power Nine is comprised of all five Moxen, Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, and Timetwister. The probability that the Rare slot contains Power is 9/123 and the probability that the retro frame slot contains Power is 0.3 * 9/123. Multiplying both probabilities yields 0.16%. So approximately one out of every 623 packs will contain two pieces of the Power Nine"

Thank you. Man oh man it's really really bad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magnetic North posted:

I'm late on this (not because I didn't hear but because I was kinda busy when news broke). Simulators are nice, but does anyone have a link to someone smart who has a math breakdown of the odds? All the links Google is giving me are ones on Reddit, which is having a moment right now.

Known math-genius Frank Karsten did it
https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/arti...4-f8503528386e/

e: oh lol there was another page

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

Can't wizards come out and say "these cards are commander legal but not legacy and vintage " full stop? They make the banlist, let the commander committee sort it out

Commander doesn't need that hassle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

Can't wizards come out and say "these cards are commander legal but not legacy and vintage " full stop? They make the banlist, let the commander committee sort it out

The commander council has come out and said no. I am a bit shocked, but lets see how long it holds.

Its not going to really matter as the amount of these cards in the general population is going to be small (the non-china ones at least).

https://twitter.com/SheldonMenery/status/1578049312000561155?s=20&t=WkGf8Pb-T9p3WgXqb5dVBw

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sickening posted:

The commander council has come out and said no. I am a bit shocked, but lets see how long it holds.

Ilmucche meant the Unfinity cards, not the 30th Anniversary cards

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Chamale posted:

Ilmucche meant the Unfinity cards, not the 30th Anniversary cards

Yeah sorry, I might not have been clear on that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gynovore posted:

Invoke Despair is super awesome but it absolutely has to go in monoblack. Don't try to jam it into WB. It doesn't work. I tried. It doesn't work.

There is a grixis deck where you copy it with the flashback iteration card that i've been winning with on the ladder a whole lot.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its not going to really matter as the amount of these cards in the general population is going to be small (the non-china ones at least).

https://twitter.com/SheldonMenery/status/1578049312000561155?s=20&t=WkGf8Pb-T9p3WgXqb5dVBw

Dang, so that means there's basically no conceivable market for these (outside of obviously people just agreeing that's dumb and letting people use them)

I guess people that want to collect the power 9 or og duals or whatever, but like.. in a card sized form they can't use rather than either the insanely expensive actual versions or a cool art print or something

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I guess people that want to collect the power 9 or og duals or whatever, but like.. in a card sized form they can't use rather than either the insanely expensive actual versions or a cool art print or something

What they should have done was sell the entire set as 4x6 jumbo cards in jumbo booster packs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Dang, so that means there's basically no conceivable market for these (outside of obviously people just agreeing that's dumb and letting people use them)

You can just play with them at your store in your commander deck though. It's a casual format.

lol I didn't realize that Collectors edition was 50 bucks when it was printed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

You can just play with them at your store in your commander deck though. It's a casual format.

lol I didn't realize that Collectors edition was 50 bucks when it was printed.

Yeah but CE was a one-time buy of a set of 363 cards, so it was not stupidly extortionate

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Arivia posted:

Yeah but CE was a one-time buy of a set of 363 cards, so it was not stupidly extortionate

Yea that is what I'm saying. It was a customer friendly product that you knew what you were buying.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

well that's not very much Booster Fun!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Beta is such a distributional shitshow from a power level/value perspective (and frankly unworkable limited environment) that there is something to be said for cracking-packs-as-gambling being a proper tribute to it, though a nice CE-esque collected edition would have been a much more functional and consumer-friendly product for Commander (and Old School I guess?) and been a nice boost of goodwill on the anniversary

the funny bit is that they could have still been wildly predatory and been praised for it if they'd just stuck to regular-extortionate Double Masters pack prices (or hell like $25/pack)

(I also think there's a solid argument that such a product would likely do less to undermine the secondary market value of the original cards than actual M30, but I guess we'll see)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder how successful it would have been if it was literally just the original collectors edition but a thousand bucks.

I'd be tempted, honestly. I wanted one as a kid but it wasn't really feasible to get one anymore by the time I was playing in stores.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how successful it would have been if it was literally just the original collectors edition but a thousand bucks.

I'd be tempted, honestly. I wanted one as a kid but it wasn't really feasible to get one anymore by the time I was playing in stores.

If it was that and commander legal it would sell as many copies as they could print.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought the 40k warhammer cards

what sleeves should I get for this? I haven't played in a decade and never played commander even once.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought the 40k warhammer cards

what sleeves should I get for this? I haven't played in a decade and never played commander even once.

There are about a billion good standard sized card game sleeves out there now, but I think the most popular are generally dragon shields or ultimate guard katana.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Note that you’ll need 101 sleeves not 75, but pretty much every store sells sleeves in that count now since Commander is so popular.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you let some committee that has nothing to do with wotc tell you what version of a card you can sleeve up and play with

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Why would you let some committee that has nothing to do with wotc tell you what version of a card you can sleeve up and play with

Depends on if the people you’re playing with let you, right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
More importantly: They're not going to be cheaper than the real thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

We did proxy Legacy on Friday and I played Oops All Spells. I went 0-3 but I got the turn 1 combo win off in each game so I went home happy at the absurdity of it. My last game was against a dude playing Reanimator and it went like this: game 1 he won the die roll, comboed off and won turn 1, game 2 I was on the play, comboed off and won turn 1, game 3 he was on the play, comboed off and won turn 1. Our entire match took eight minutes and half of that was shuffling and laughing at how hilarious the matchup was. Overall it was a ton of fun to see new decks and play a new format for basically free. The only bad part was the 3 people playing some variant of Azorius in Control decks and going to time every single round.

Also picked up the Tyranids deck and played in a release day event. Won the pod where it came down to me and another Tyranids player. It wasn't really fair though because the other three players were 40k folks picking up Commander decks for the first time/after a very long absence from Magic. The foil Fabricate is nice and I opened my third foil Leyline Binding out of the promo pack I got as a prize, so on the whole it was a good time.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

goodness posted:

Pulling a black lotus is easy!

Also those other rares are baaaad

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I think in theory the difference is if the rules dudes say it's ok then you can use them everywhere, whereas since they didn't there's gonna be some weird sticklers that will throw a fit about them

Then again, you probably don't want to play with those people anyway so I guess no loss there :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Yes. WOTC has dissolved their control over play to the point that they only have say in the very few sanctioned events that exist. I don't know what kind of stranglehold WOTC has over the supply of boxes now that they use distributors less, but I can't see a good reason to be a sanctioned LGS otherwise.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

Commander is a sanctioned format that can be played at fnm.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Edit: whoops

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I can't remember who was originally asking, but players at my store (myself included) are making un-commander decks with various unset cards including Unfinity. We're the weirdoes who have pauper decks, cheepnis decks, and other flavorful jank. It's all about what your group is okay with.

In other news, Magic finally gets a hundred postcard set. Two of my paper collecting hobbies are finally coming together. https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Postcard-Masterworks-Postcards/dp/0593577728

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I brought my Drake posted:

I can't remember who was originally asking, but players at my store (myself included) are making un-commander decks with various unset cards including Unfinity. We're the weirdoes who have pauper decks, cheepnis decks, and other flavorful jank. It's all about what your group is okay with.

In other news, Magic finally gets a hundred postcard set. Two of my paper collecting hobbies are finally coming together. https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Postcard-Masterworks-Postcards/dp/0593577728
Look I sat through all the universes beyond but if you think I'm going to keep playing through the Stamp meta you've got another thing coming. Forever stamps literally are immune to power creep! They get erratas every year for their stat line!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's a "cheepnis deck?" Trying to google that is almost an old-school googlebomb.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Arivia posted:

What's a "cheepnis deck?" Trying to google that is almost an old-school googlebomb.

Take a commander well known for shenanigans and build a cheap knockoff. I think everyone has a different name for it: budget, dollar store, whatever, but I call it cheepnis. Frank Zappa wrote a song about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

Note that you’ll need 101 sleeves not 75, but pretty much every store sells sleeves in that count now since Commander is so popular.

I see they sell in 100 not 101

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/at-10003.html

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
You only need 100 for commander

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

mcmagic posted:

If it was that and commander legal it would sell as many copies as they could print.

As if it's not already going to sell as many copies as they can print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's just a collector item.