Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Quick aside but this screencap shows off one of the costuming details I love from this show. The hat itself has a resemblance to the Imperial caps, basically mimicking the greater authority they derive their own from, but it also has a plastic bill which gives it a cheap rent-a-cop/mall security look. Really gets across the second-rate status of corporate security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If we get an episode with Saw, will we possibly see a younger Jyn Erso?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Kesper North posted:

In cCassian's tribe on Camorria, where are the elders? The oldest one seemed to be like twenty. I can only assume either this is a Lord of the Flies castaway situation... or the elders all died or were enslaved to work in the mines i guess? i doubt it's Lord of the Flies because they seemed to have too much ritual and understanding of how to live in the jungle, but their clothing looks like it's made up of parts of mended Republic uniforms, which says castaway. It's all very confusing, semiotically. I also noticed that the kids know to be afraid of starships. Having subtitles for these parts would probably help explain all this, but there were none on my stream.

Upon rewatching the first couple episodes, their clothing appears to be industrial safety clothing scraps. A lot of them are wearing high vis orange and yellow, the material of which seems fairly similar to the workers on Ferrix. They are descendants of dead workers. It also doesn't focus on them but I really think there are some older people in the background - there was someone on the edge of the pier poking at the river with a long pole who appeared to be fully grown.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

I said come in! posted:

This is around the time he abandoned her, so could go either way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Seldom Posts posted:

I thought they said there was a mining disaster or something similar? My assumption is that the parents were all indentured laborers who were all killed in the disaster and then the kids are abandoned because evil empire.

The disaster has not yet happened, AFAIK. They did call it an "Imperial" disaster and Andor's adopted mother definitely referred to Republic ships they needed to escape. Plus the crew uniforms from the crashed ship had Republic insignia, not Imperial.

I suspect the mining disaster is more severe than what we've already seen on the planet's surface. I suspect Camorria is now shattered, structurally, as a planet and no longer supports an ecosystem at all.

Possible the Empire were mining khyber there, and dug so deep they broke the planet. I bet it's a debris field now, and the Empire felt the need to cover it up politically by wiping out any and all remaining Camorrian survivors. That's why everyone freaks out so badly when Andor admits to having told a few people about being Camorrian.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kesper North posted:

The disaster has not yet happened, AFAIK. They did call it an "Imperial" disaster and Andor's adopted mother definitely referred to Republic ships they needed to escape. Plus the crew uniforms from the crashed ship had Republic insignia, not Imperial.

I suspect the mining disaster is more severe than what we've already seen on the planet's surface. I suspect Camorria is now shattered, structurally, as a planet and no longer supports an ecosystem at all.

Possible the Empire were mining khyber there, and dug so deep they broke the planet. I bet it's a debris field now, and the Empire felt the need to cover it up politically by wiping out any and all remaining Camorrian survivors. That's why everyone freaks out so badly when Andor admits to having told a few people about being Camorrian.

The Empire declared it to be a disaster area, but it seems clear the disaster had already happened.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kesper North posted:

Plus the crew uniforms from the crashed ship had Republic insignia, not Imperial.

Separatist insignia, which raises even more questions about Maarva identifying them as Republic officers.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The episode guide on the official Star Wars site elaborates on the timeline and factions involved in the crash:

starwars.com posted:

The flashbacks in this episode occur during the later years of the Republic, prior to the start of the Clone Wars, with Maarva and Clem worrying about an incoming Republic frigate interrupting their salvage operation. The dead crewers aboard the transport corsair wear uniforms with a symbol closely related to the eventual Separatist Alliance. Travel to Kenari will later be restricted by the Empire due to environmental disaster.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

3 posted:

Separatist insignia, which raises even more questions about Maarva identifying them as Republic officers.

Well, no--it was a Separatist ship that had clearly just been shot down, so it makes sense that a Republic ship would be landing shortly to collect it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Madurai posted:

Well, no--it was a Separatist ship that had clearly just been shot down, so it makes sense that a Republic ship would be landing shortly to collect it.

Okay, this all makes a lot more sense now, thank you

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Maybe this has been covered, but why does Andor look like it had 10x the budget of Obi-Wan? Cast salaries were lower so more of the money ended up on screen? They relied less on the Volume?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I said come in! posted:

I will build a shrine to Mickey Mouse, at work, if they give us a solid look at Jyn Erso as a no-fooling, Hotel Rwanda, child soldier.

Narrator: He didn't end up building that shrine.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

frogbs posted:

Maybe this has been covered, but why does Andor look like it had 10x the budget of Obi-Wan? Cast salaries were lower so more of the money ended up on screen? They relied less on the Volume?

I'd love to know this too. While a lot of Obi-Wan looked fine, there were some glaringly bad sets like the druggie space station place and of course, the epic showdown between Obi-Wan and Vader at a gravel pit (at night).

It would have been forgiveable if the writing had at least been OK, but welp.

TBH I'm a BoBF stan (not really, just think it's a solid C+/B-) so it's not as if my standards are unreasonably high, but Obi-Wan was just so inept in so many ways it really took me by surprise. Like, was it somehow involved in money laundering or something?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Obi-Wan I think was originally meant to be a full length movie in theaters, but changed directions after Disney was really unhappy with the reception of the sequel trilogy and that the movies didn't make as much money as they were expecting. I liked Mandalorian & Boba Fett, Obi-Wan was garbage and I wish it had been canceled, and Andor has been some of the best Star Wars in years, I love it a lot.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

frogbs posted:

Obi-Wan had been in development for a few years (first as a movie) and went through a bunch of different writers and directors. It might have been similar to what ended up happening with Superman Returns, with the costs of all the previous failed versions of the project affecting the budget of what ended up getting made. Or it could have been that the budget for the movie version had to be spread across 5 hours instead of 2.

However, since this was a big prestige project that they were making a big deal out of, they may have been more willing to throw money at it, regardless of the cost.

There's also the physical differences in the production to take into account. Andor filmed from November 2020 - September 2021, while Obi-Wan filmed May 2021 - September 2021. Since there was a several month overlap, Andor filmed at Pinewood studios in London and on location elsewhere, while Obi-Wan used the Volume in Los Angeles. It's still likely that Andor used some LED screen technology though - at least for stuff like the view outside Luthen's cockpit or the Coruscant windows.

So Andor had twice the time to film that Kenobi did, but Andor also had twice as many episodes, so that makes sense. But there's a difference in what they're doing with those episodes. The huge Ferrix set they built for Andor has featured in 4/5 episodes so far (Tony Gilroy has said it'll be in most of the season), and locations like Aldhani and Mon Mothma's apartment are the focus of multiple-episode arcs. Compare that to Obi-Wan, which has more of a planet-of-the-week structure. Even when we see Tatooine or Alderaan in multiple episodes, it's different locations that need different sets built, so they can't bundle individual episode costs together to build one really great set that we'll see every week.

The Volume vs Location shooting also makes an impact. On the Volume, even if you're just doing the Tatooine desert, every sand dune and rock outcropping need to be built by a team of VFX artists before they can start shooting (and then it just gets replaced later by a different team of VFX artists). On Andor, you get the environment for free. Even the Imperial base is based around a real dam.

The third thing that's different between the shows is the people. Deborah Chow directed every episode of Obi-Wan, while Andor has 3 directors, alternating for every arc. So even though, for example, Toby Haynes is directing 6 episodes (the same as Chow), He did episodes 1-3 and then 8-10. That break in between not only gives him time to actually be involved in the editorial process of his episodes, but he also has time to actually prep for the upcoming ones as well. And based on where the story's going, it's likely that Haynes' upcoming episodes might be the ones where Cassian returns to Ferrix (as we see in the trailers) now that the Empire's there. If he's dealing specifically with the Ferrix episodes, then that also allows him to really focus in on one specific aspect of the show and group of actors. Meanwhile, Chow had to bounce around to different locations, different characters, and had to be on set every day, unable to really plan for what was coming up ahead or review what had just been done. As a result a lot of stuff kind of got a little sloppy since she had to be overseeing so many things at once.

The Mandalorian is kind of a best of both worlds situation, where you can have those planet-of-the-week adventures, and cast each director for a specific episode that takes advantage of their skills without running them ragged making them look after the whole show. It also helps that Jon Favreau was kind of overseeing everything and able to provide guidance without having to be consumed with all the day-to-day aspects of the show.

Book of Boba Fett kind of went the opposite direction, sticking to a single setting premise but not letting any director hang around long enough to really make the place feel unique - they just had individual directors that popped in for a single episode and then vanished into the aether. Bryce Dallas Howard at least had the advantage of previous experience on The Mandalorian, while everyone else was being dumped into the middle of the series with "okay, here's a Star War, now get to work". Even Robert Rodriguez (who directed 3 episodes) probably would have had a better time if he could have done 3 in a row rather than spread across the series, so he could really get to know the cast and crew to build a rapport with them.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 11, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/LucasArtsMemory/status/1579562414105718784

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He's a happy winemaker now

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I think the photography and use of digital also makes a big difference in how Andor looks. Lot of a really close-in shots of characters and action gives it more of a tactile, claustrophobic feel (it really is shot more like a Bourne movie or Michael Mann thriller that a lot of SW shows). There are fewer sweeping vistas than you get in a lot of SW.

A lot of the starships and fighters are seen from the ground, lending a sense of realism. The first time you see a TIE fighter or imperial shuttle it's a limited view, "shot" very matter-of-factly, almost like a camera crew shooting a real shuttle on location. The scenes in Coruscant are very tight, tend to follow characters very closely, almost as if they shooting on location in a real, crowded city, treating the vistas like something locals are just bored with rather than "holy poo poo look at this amazing FX work!" Even the choice of introducing the city top-down directly overhead creates an immediate sense of "this is a real city."

The digital stuff looks more believable when it's presented in a mundane way. You add gorgeous, well-designed sets, production design, costuming, props, etc., it really hits a high level of believability. It's almost like they wanted the whole thing to feel like a real crew shooting in real places. Large, expertly-lit sets help.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 11, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kesper North posted:

The reason Andor's friends and family freaked out is that the Corpos knew the person who killed two of their men was from that planet.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Love Rat posted:

It's nice to have a SW show that actually pairs nicely with Tokyo Vice, which I've also been watching, in terms of aesthetic, detail, characterization and pacing. Quite nice.

SW doesn’t pretend to be anything but complete fiction, though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Axe Forgets episode guide

Trivia's pretty much stuff we sussed out immediately, like the Sankara Stones and Syril's action figure collection

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's cool how Qyburn just went and got a job with the ISB after GoT.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

inter-governmental revolving door. qyburn is the ronny jackson of westeros

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's criminal he doesn't have a Poster of his own

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

It's criminal he doesn't have a Poster of his own

It needs one of those posters with three ominous words that are about their mission. "Watch. Protect. Execute"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You really need old English dudes to sell the empire’s banality of evil

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Live
Laugh
Love

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Live
Laugh
Love

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zoux posted:

I knew I recognized him but for the life of me could not figure out where.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I said come in! posted:

I knew I recognized him but for the life of me could not figure out where.

He was great in Monty Python!

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Holy poo poo 15 mins in and the tension is palpable.

EDIT: this is some James Bond poo poo

Rougey fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 12, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is this first pissing we’ve had in Star Wars ?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

Is this first pissing we’ve had in Star Wars ?

A charhound urinated on-screen in the Galactic Critters series on YouTube, and Tora's pet tended to go where it pleased in Resistance

For live-action though, reasonably sure it's the first time

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That was cool.

The eye looked great

Subtitles called him Doctor Quadpaw, lmao

I was right about Nemik and figured Skeen would have turned at the end, Tamaryn was a surprise though

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 12, 2022

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I enjoyed the hell out of that - wish there was another 5 minutes of showing the consequences but I guess that will keep until next week.

Near the end I almost poo poo a brick when Luthern got asked "do you have something from Aldani", expecting it to be an ISB agent... but nah was just some board spouse killing time with the paper.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That was a great episode

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jfc this episode lmao, puts so much other Star Wars poo poo to shame.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

teagone posted:

jfc this episode lmao, puts so much other Star Wars poo poo to shame.

the scene of the three pilots scrambling TIEs was so cool lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I am so glad the Commandant's kid being there didn't turn into a 'how far are they willing to go for the mission' setup