Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Shumagorath posted:

I might have the same ADATA 4GB as the one you’re eyeing. Go for a fast WD instead and get the ADATA for a data drive if you want to go full opulence.

I’m still on an old-school mindset where I like being able to wipe put my OS drive without a second thought, but I haven’t moved \Users this time around so your idea of doing a single partition isn’t bad provided you have a good backup solution.

I was thinking fast OS SSD and then the 4TB for storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh whoops, it was late and I might not have read correctly. That config has been working well for me so far, but I’m also looking at building a big NAS later this year.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Newegg's running another one of their "Fantastech" sale events, and this is the only real GPU deal of note.

Newegg also have some pretty good sales on a few intel CPUs, e.g. 30% off an i7-12700k or 20% off an i5-12600k.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Some really good monitor and bulk storage deals too

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but does Anyone know of a really cheap desktop I can build or get built? All I really want to do is be able to watch 4k videos and play MTG arena.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but does Anyone know of a really cheap desktop I can build or get built? All I really want to do is be able to watch 4k videos and play MTG arena.

Like how cheap?

Like you could get a business machine off like offer up and throw in a cheap GPU and be set for a few hundred.

You could also get one of the mini PCs for a few hundred as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MarcusSA posted:

Like how cheap?

Like you could get a business machine off like offer up and throw in a cheap GPU and be set for a few hundred.

You could also get one of the mini PCs for a few hundred as well

Few hundred is fine. I just need a few spots to throw HDs I have that are full of TV shows on. Any idea of which prebuilt brands are good/cheap?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Few hundred is fine. I just need a few spots to throw HDs I have that are full of TV shows on. Any idea of which prebuilt brands are good/cheap?

I'd suggest getting a cheap dock and not worry about having internal space for drives like that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd suggest getting a cheap dock and not worry about having internal space for drives like that.

Fair. Any recommendations on mini PCs or prebuilts that will do what I need? I also need 2 monitor ports.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 10, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Something like the Beelink SER5 should be able to handle that without much problems - it has two HDMI outputs and enough under the hood for productivity, 4K video and non-demanding games for sub-$400

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

Something like the Beelink SER5 should be able to handle that without much problems - it has two HDMI outputs and enough under the hood for productivity, 4K video and non-demanding games for sub-$400

This is probably good. It's like 440 on amazon? Reasonable?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This guy does all kinds of reviews of the mini PCs if you want to have a look.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QVW9mzcVbnM&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

I don’t think 440 is bad for what you are getting especially the form factor.

I do think you could get a cheap workstation and put a GPU in it for a bit cheaper and it would be more powerful. It all depends on what area you are in though and if they are easily available.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

mcmagic posted:

This one is $395 if you're a Prime member and there's a $60 coupon for it knocking it down to $335 - not bad for a Ryzen 5560U, 16 gigs of RAM and a half terabyte of NVMe storage

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Some really good monitor and bulk storage deals too

Link?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

This one is $395 if you're a Prime member and there's a $60 coupon for it knocking it down to $335 - not bad for a Ryzen 5560U, 16 gigs of RAM and a half terabyte of NVMe storage

Excellent. I'm gonna buy this one. Thanks.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gigabyte G24F 2 for $130: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012052
2TB Intel 670p NVME for $130 (1TB is $65): https://www.newegg.com/intel-2tb-670p-series/p/N82E16820167473
Same for a 2TB Team Group drive: https://www.newegg.com/team-group-mp33-2tb/p/N82E16820331431

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Ok yeah never mind what I said this makes it a much better deal imo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone try this case?

https://formdworks.com/collections/t1-1/products/t1-sandwich-kit-black-color

I have a reference gpu, tempted to get this to have a much smaller case than my existing one. Have no idea how to get my current AIO in it if that even works

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone try this case?

https://formdworks.com/collections/t1-1/products/t1-sandwich-kit-black-color

I have a reference gpu, tempted to get this to have a much smaller case than my existing one. Have no idea how to get my current AIO in it if that even works

You want the ITX thread, and also Optimum Tech's videos on YouTube where he waxes lyrical about this case. It's very well made apparently. I'm sure he's got build guides and things on there.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amazon has a DDR5 kit on sale that's 4800/CL40 and I'm wondering if that's a good choice for someone who is not necessarily a power user. I'm planning on building a system either around Zen4 or Raptor Lake and the most demanding scenarios are media consumption while simultaneously running a VM as well as some (mild) video editing. The kit is priced nearly the same as a DDR4 one, so I'm wary that it might just be a really poor option.

The kit in question is a Crucial one, model number CT2K16G48C40U5, the next step up would be about 60 Euro more for something like the Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Amazon has a DDR5 kit on sale that's 4800/CL40 and I'm wondering if that's a good choice for someone who is not necessarily a power user. I'm planning on building a system either around Zen4 or Raptor Lake and the most demanding scenarios are media consumption while simultaneously running a VM as well as some (mild) video editing. The kit is priced nearly the same as a DDR4 one, so I'm wary that it might just be a really poor option.

The kit in question is a Crucial one, model number CT2K16G48C40U5, the next step up would be about 60 Euro more for something like the Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36.

How much is FLBD532G5600HC36BDC01 (TeamGroup 32GB DDR5-5600 CL36) in your country? I ask because that's just $30 more than the cheapest Crucial 4800 kits in the US.

Otherwise yeah, I guess 4800 would probably be fine for that kind of thing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That one's actually rather expensive here at 240 Euro.

The cheapest options I've seen are the ones I posted:

Crucial 4800/40 143 Euro
Corsair 5600/36 198 Euro

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bunch of stuff is on sale on Amazon if you have Prime

Like the (non-airflow) Corsair 4000D case - $62
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-4000D-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower/dp/B08C7CJ8XZ/

The well regarded budget HP 1440p/165Hz monitor - $160
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0949KL83T/

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$63 for 2x 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM Gloway brand(Amazon.com)

Is this a good deal or should I wait till black Friday? My mb only has 2 slots and I'd be upgrading from 12GB but I'm in little to no hurry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CL18. And I've never even heard of "Gloway." Just spend $20 more on CL16 stuff from an actual known brand

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

CL18. And I've never even heard of "Gloway." Just spend $20 more on CL16 stuff from an actual known brand

Yeah, there's some CL16 from Silicone Power for like $10 more. I'll wait till black Friday and decide if I'm upgrading that or my graphics card this year

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 11, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

$80 Ryzen 3600 at MC https://www.microcenter.com/product/653895/amd-ryzen-5-3600-matisse-36ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-wraith-stealth-cooler-included

Potentially stackable with the $25 off coupon
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialofferallprocessorstext.aspx

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gently caress that’s an excellent deal.

Makes me tempted as hell to push up my 7700k

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The 5600X is also down to $165 on Amazon for Prime Day2, 5600-non X is like $158. 5600G is only $130

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 5600 non-x is $130 at Newegg right now: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600-ryzen-5-5000-series/p/N82E16819113736

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I was planning on getting a FD Torrent with an AiO for the CPU (i7-13700k or Ryzen 7 7700X) but the case got destroyed during shipping and now it's not on sale anymore, forcing me to look at alternatives. I'm wondering if the FD Torrent Compact in combination with an air cooler like this: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

would be a suitable combination for the level of CPU I'm planning for. The Zen4 reviews I've looked at make mention of a powerful cooler being important but I assume that doesn't mean only AiOs?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With these monstrous new GPUs on the horizon, what is a good computer case that says "I don't give a poo poo how big that card is"?

I have no intention of lugging this thing around to LAN parties, just looking for good value and not having to worry about fitting a 4090 or whatever AMD has cooking up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

With these monstrous new GPUs on the horizon, what is a good computer case that says "I don't give a poo poo how big that card is"?

I have no intention of lugging this thing around to LAN parties, just looking for good value and not having to worry about fitting a 4090 or whatever AMD has cooking up.

Lian Li Lancool II and III, Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Evo (normal won't fit some extra-tall GPUs, which is a thing now), Fractal Design Torrent, Fractal Design Meshify 2 (normal or XL), Phanteks P500A/P600S, Corsair 7000D (4000D/5000D will be fine for most GPUs but some extra tall ones may not fit? Actually unsure, nobody gives clearances for GPU height). Actually most midtowers that aren't explicitly sold as compact cases will be able to put most 4090s in them. Just do your homework before buying. Or just buy a Torrent and never give a gently caress again. It's probably the best case on the market in terms of raw airflow anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You could buy this tacky mammoth

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/full-tower/haf-700-evo/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lian Li Lancool II and III, Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Evo (normal won't fit some extra-tall GPUs, which is a thing now), Fractal Design Torrent, Fractal Design Meshify 2 (normal or XL), Phanteks P500A/P600S, Corsair 7000D (4000D/5000D will be fine for most GPUs but some extra tall ones may not fit? Actually unsure, nobody gives clearances for GPU height). Actually most midtowers that aren't explicitly sold as compact cases will be able to put most 4090s in them. Just do your homework before buying. Or just buy a Torrent and never give a gently caress again. It's probably the best case on the market in terms of raw airflow anyway.

Thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just in case: I wasn’t being serious. That’s like a $600+ case

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

$600 to have an ugly rear end badge front and center. Just whyyyy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arrath posted:

$600 to have an ugly rear end badge front and center. Just whyyyy.

it’s actually a programmable display

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Is there any GPU worth buying in the Prime Early Access thing on Amazon right now? All I do in 1080p gaming, I don't need something that will take my rear end to 4k with all the bells and whistles. I'm currently running a GTX 970 4GB, and I have a budget of around... I dunno, $200. I can go a little higher if there's anything worth that, but mostly I've had this card for gently caress, I dunno, seven or eight years now?

I don't know a ton about graphics cards really, I hate to say. So I'm relying on goons to give me some advice, lemme know if there's a good deal right now to throw down money on. Like I said, I don't need something that will do 4K ray-tracing at 120FPS. 1080p at 60FPS is my sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Just in case: I wasn’t being serious. That’s like a $600+ case

It's also probably just worse than the Fractal Design Torrent in most ways that matter for gaming PCs.