Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter, which luckily, is all you need to be a good writer.

anyways, whose the dolores umbridge of boulette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Silly Newbie posted:

Couldn't that be true of any subgenre, not just nerd poo poo though? Like, if all you consume is romance novels, or Clancy-esque war poo poo, you're similarly stunted. Once you eliminate all of those genres, what's left to be "normal lit"?

I agree, actually. "Fiction" (as in the "fiction" section of B&N) is basically just a marketing term for anything that doesn't fit into one of the smaller genres and doesn't really mean anything on it's own. It's just that we were discussing people who write manga so I focused on the nerd poo poo.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Silly Newbie posted:

Couldn't that be true of any subgenre, not just nerd poo poo though? Like, if all you consume is romance novels, or Clancy-esque war poo poo, you're similarly stunted. Once you eliminate all of those genres, what's left to be "normal lit"?

As a bookseller: a good amount of books. Now, the distinction between fiction and genre fiction is messier than you’d think it is; Michael Crichton and Anne Rice get shelved in Fiction instead of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, to my eternal frustration. However, there’s a ton of books that don’t fit in the classic genre fiction labels.

Now, whether stuff like literary fiction is a type of genre fiction in itself, and how many genres there are of books that get put in the general fiction section is another discussion.

This is, in part, why I don’t think “they only read comics/manga” is a great criticism. Comics are a medium, not a genre. There’s a lot of comics that don’t fall under the umbrella of genre fiction in the same way that prose novels don’t. What genre would you put A Bride’s Story? How about Dykes To Watch Out For? Azumanga Daioh? Pop Team Epic? Maus? Understanding Comics? Questionable Content? Goodnight Punpun? The idea that they all fall in the same genre, that you’d be limiting yourself and your ideas by mainly reading such a broad swathe of stories is ridiculous

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I haven't been to a Barnes and Noble in ages but I loved it when I was a teen. I know they sell like manga and western comics but do they have a webcomics section? They didn't last time I went in and I feel like a lot of webcomics kinda miss out on that exposure. I went to a bookstore in a mall when visiting a friend in Colorado like 5 years ago and I was astounded to see a print of MSPA (how do you even do that)

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
It is important to me that everyone reads Pupkin.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I haven't been to a Barnes and Noble in ages but I loved it when I was a teen. I know they sell like manga and western comics but do they have a webcomics section? They didn't last time I went in and I feel like a lot of webcomics kinda miss out on that exposure. I went to a bookstore in a mall when visiting a friend in Colorado like 5 years ago and I was astounded to see a print of MSPA (how do you even do that)

Webcomics that get physical editions are treated as regular comics. Lore Olympus, for example, is a best seller (Volume 3 out tomorrow!) so it will get put on tables and endcaps as well as in the Graphic Novels section. Hooky, another comic published on Webtoon that’s pretty popular, gets put in the Young Readers Graphic Novels section in the kid’s section. Cucumber Quest’s physical editions get put in the kid’s section as well. Marry Me got reprinted last year because of the movie and it got put in the YA Graphic Novels section. A number of manga get published first digitally(I think Happy Kanoko’s Killer Life is an example, but I’m not sure) and just get put in manga.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

thetoughestbean posted:

As a bookseller: a good amount of books. Now, the distinction between fiction and genre fiction is messier than you’d think it is; Michael Crichton and Anne Rice get shelved in Fiction instead of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, to my eternal frustration. However, there’s a ton of books that don’t fit in the classic genre fiction labels.

Now, whether stuff like literary fiction is a type of genre fiction in itself, and how many genres there are of books that get put in the general fiction section is another discussion.

This is, in part, why I don’t think “they only read comics/manga” is a great criticism. Comics are a medium, not a genre. There’s a lot of comics that don’t fall under the umbrella of genre fiction in the same way that prose novels don’t. What genre would you put A Bride’s Story? How about Dykes To Watch Out For? Azumanga Daioh? Pop Team Epic? Maus? Understanding Comics? Questionable Content? Goodnight Punpun? The idea that they all fall in the same genre, that you’d be limiting yourself and your ideas by mainly reading such a broad swathe of stories is ridiculous

Oh for sure, I was just challenging the poster for whom there are two categories: nerd poo poo and normal to define how the various parts of "normal" aren't equivalent to nerd poo poo.
I think we're at a point in the state of the art where everything has a genre, everything has tropes, and the measure of success may be "how well do you do something innovative within those boundaries (that were defined by the several million people who wrote stuff before you)?
I see this a lot in music as well. There are infinite definable genres of metal, punk, pop, jazz, etc because there are a finite number of ways to arrange words or music in a way that's generally meaningful. It's getting more and more difficult to do anything truly unique, so the art has to distinguish itself by what still makes it different. Hence, genres and the good and bad within them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Emzedoh posted:

(I don't actually believe this, it just sprang to mind)

While we're on the topic of good Bouletcorp as opposed to bad Bouletcorp though, I tried to post his 24 hour comic Darkness earlier, but apparently I couldn't download the pages to rehost safely (???).

Everyone should read Darkness, though. You can find it here:
https://english.bouletcorp.com/2012/02/01/darkness/

Yes, it's necessary to use bold font every time I write Darkness.

It really is extremely funny how the stereotype of the french as lazy cowards rushing to surrender so easily supplanted the previous one, that they were bloodthirsty maniacs who would rove around conquering everything if not sedated with sufficient cheese and wine

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Silly Newbie posted:

Oh for sure, I was just challenging the poster for whom there are two categories: nerd poo poo and normal to define how the various parts of "normal" aren't equivalent to nerd poo poo.
I think we're at a point in the state of the art where everything has a genre, everything has tropes, and the measure of success may be "how well do you do something innovative within those boundaries (that were defined by the several million people who wrote stuff before you)?
I see this a lot in music as well. There are infinite definable genres of metal, punk, pop, jazz, etc because there are a finite number of ways to arrange words or music in a way that's generally meaningful. It's getting more and more difficult to do anything truly unique, so the art has to distinguish itself by what still makes it different. Hence, genres and the good and bad within them.

I've spent a lot of time stressing about this. Surely there has to be a point where everything that could be written has been written. Or drawn, or composed, or whatever. There's that immense mental pressure of presenting art to a world inhabited by another hundred million artists. Or like bird photography: there are already ten million excellent photos of rhipidura leucophrys out there; does the world really need another??
Under that pressure it's really liberating to draw a stupid comic crossover fanart thing that approx. seven forum dwellers will "get." Or play the seikilos epitaph in a deserted forest in a windy day. Art done solely for the joy of it, or the benefit of a tiny number of people...
I can't remember where I was going with this

Emzedoh posted:

While we're on the topic of good Bouletcorp as opposed to bad Bouletcorp though, I tried to post his 24 hour comic Darkness earlier, but apparently I couldn't download the pages to rehost safely (???).

Yes, it's necessary to use bold font every time I write Darkness.

Haha, that was fun. 100% true, too.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

some plague rats posted:

It really is extremely funny how the stereotype of the french as lazy cowards rushing to surrender so easily supplanted the previous one, that they were bloodthirsty maniacs who would rove around conquering everything if not sedated with sufficient cheese and wine

That's an interesting euphemism for grapeshot and bayonets.

Silly Newbie posted:

Solid agreed. And this is why I get a little annoyed by people who dismiss everything from Japan as 'anime'. There's a little more detail than that! This is why I've been posting the things I've been posting (manually operated medieval rpg world, wonky samurai cuts people down in the street, witchy ww2, etc), I'm just posting my favourite comics and trying to show it's not all weaboo bullshit.

Speaking of which, and this is a little awkward at this very moment, but I'm skipping chapter 4 of Kutsuzure Sensen because it has a tiddy and I don't want to get shouted at. Read it here if you like.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/ba713bcd-0f01-4dfa-8760-5b012b5b5d73/1

In the meantime, let's start some poo poo with an Orthodox Saint

That's one mean looking saint.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
even if everything that can be ever written is written, and even if there are 6 billion people doing the SAME EXACT idea as me, I'm going to create. Because gently caress those people. I'm not competing with them, they're competing with me. I dare them to try and match even a fraction of my brilliance.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Emzedoh posted:

Speaking of which, and this is a little awkward at this very moment, but I'm skipping chapter 4 of Kutsuzure Sensen because it has a tiddy and I don't want to get shouted at. Read it here if you like.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/ba713bcd-0f01-4dfa-8760-5b012b5b5d73/1

I am very sad you skipped this because it has the line “I am the specter of communism. I haunt Europe” in it

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
everything will eventually be written, but by then we'll have forgotten the first half and will have to start over

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
someone has to be the best, why not you?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I am very sad you skipped this because it has the line “I am the specter of communism. I haunt Europe” in it

I'm sad about that too! I'll post a little clip of it later maybe, I'm at my dad's birthday dinner now though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hot drat, Darkness was so good. That was done in just 24 hours?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Tree Bucket posted:

I've spent a lot of time stressing about this. Surely there has to be a point where everything that could be written has been written. Or drawn, or composed, or whatever. There's that immense mental pressure of presenting art to a world inhabited by another hundred million artists. Or like bird photography: there are already ten million excellent photos of rhipidura leucophrys out there; does the world really need another??
Under that pressure it's really liberating to draw a stupid comic crossover fanart thing that approx. seven forum dwellers will "get." Or play the seikilos epitaph in a deserted forest in a windy day. Art done solely for the joy of it, or the benefit of a tiny number of people...

Haha, that was fun. 100% true, too.

I think there is a point where everything that can be written has been, but there's also a heat death of the universe.
I think we're in a place where we've just gotten past the easy, obvious stuff, by dint of pure volume. It takes more skill now to make something interesting and evocative. Not that there wasn't skill in the past, even exceeding the present - there absolutely was. It's just the the bar is higher.
I view visual art through a different lens, personally. There may be ten million excellent photos of that particular species of bird, but were there any that captured everything that goes into the composition and attempts to evoke that particular emotional response? It may be that I don't get visual art and it doesn't resonate with me, so I don't understand it as well vs music or the written word, but it feels like the place in time and shifting nature of visual art can make it unique where other media would be derivative.
I feel like visual and some multimedia art is analog where music and the written word is digital. Not in the medium, but in the perception. Words and (mostly) music are composed of definite concepts. A group of characters is a word or it isn't. If you compose several groups of characters that aren't words together, they aren't art, they're a concept. Musical notes, at least to my understanding, can be defined the same way - it's a note or it's not. Visual art doesn't have to exist in the same kind of defined space. We can narrow the definition of "blue" down to a mathematical visual spectrum, but we can still debate where it ends and crosses into other colors.

Anyway I'll have a six piece spicy nugget and a chocolate frosty.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I feel like this describes a certain facet of the human condition

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Glad that was settled

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Hot drat, Darkness was so good. That was done in just 24 hours?

I think the one thing that even Boulet-disagree-ers have to acknowledge - the man can draw, and at speed. Look at this bullshit, no mistakes, no roughing out, no pencil sketches.
https://english.bouletcorp.com/2012/03/22/one-piece/

Anyway.

Lightning quiz: you are a Soviet soldier in WW2 and you've wandered into a spirit bath.

The bathers haven't realised you're human yet, what kind of spirit do you pretend to be?

Write your answer in the back of your exercise book now.

Did you get it?

I do like that the haunting Europe comment is in another speech bubble, really sells that she's making it up as she goes along.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Oct 11, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

lol, this is great

also everyone knows that "normal" literature is when you're a professor (and author!) in a loveless marriage who's relationship with one of your students rekindles your joy for life

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCe8zD9cgms

yea his art is primarily why I follow him followed by his comics.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Delightful.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

also everyone knows that "normal" literature is when you're a professor (and author!) in a loveless marriage who's relationship with one of your students rekindles your joy for life

Ugh I hate those books.
Where does "The Far Side" fit in this continuum?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Our teacher Mozi says, "The benevolent surely are those who devote themselves to finding ways to promote what is beneficial to the world while eliminating what is harmful; this is why they are proper models for human conduct throughout the world. If something benefits the world, then they will do it. If it does not benefit the world then they will stop doing it. Moreover, when the benevolent think about the people of the world, if there is something that attracts their eyes, delights their ears, pleases their palates, and gives comfort to their bodies but this thing can only be gotten by sacrificing the people's stock of food and clothing, they will not engage in it."

And so our teacher Mozi does not condemn music because he thinks that the sounds of bells, drums, zithers and pipes are not pleasing, nor because he thinks that roasts of grain- and grass-fed meat are not delicious, nor because he thinks that high towers, lofty halls, and secluded pavilions are not comfortable. Though his body knows the comfort of such places, his mouth the relish of such food, his eye the fineness of such patterns, and his ears the pleasure of such sounds, nevertheless, he sees that it does not accord with the practices of the sage kings of old and does not promote the benefit of the people in the world today. And so our teacher Mozi says, "Musical performances are wrong!"

Fake edit: dammit Tree Bucket, I wanted to time this right after humblebrag's post.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Nasty. Balls nasty.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Fake edit: dammit Tree Bucket, I wanted to time this right after humblebrag's post.

Dangit!! I failed to promote what is beneficial to the world while eliminating what is harmful.

e: I Would Like To Know More about this sage who hates music....?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tree Bucket posted:

I think it’s not actually possible for every idea to be written or explored, and that’s specifically because of the iterative properties of creative works. By which I mean, every time something is created, it builds on what came before, but also recontextualizes it. Every piece of work changes culture, changes how we view the past, and opens up new stories that can be told. A book written in 2022 would simply not have been possible to write 50 years ago because everything in between was necessary for its creation. And likewise a story written in the 70s gets interpreted differently now. Even if you took all the most basic story beats of some old piece of fiction and decided to rewrite it today, you’d produce a totally different narrative

Anyway…

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Sigrun’s improvisational skills obviously come from years of hunting trolls

Herding livestock, herding trolls

There’s always a bigger crab

I love how dynamic this page is

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Dangit!! I failed to promote what is beneficial to the world while eliminating what is harmful.

e: I Would Like To Know More about this sage who hates music....?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi

He doesn't actually hate music, he hates the expensive musical performances and other indulgences popular among the ruling class of his time. He was just a real practical, hard headed kind of philosopher.

Anyway, other interesting things about Mozi:
- He argued against both Confucians and Daoists.
- He condemned wars of aggression on no uncertain terms. Given that he was living in the Warring States period, he had plenty to condemn. In fact, it's said that he and his followers engaged in military action to defend states and cities he judged to be victims of wars of expansion.
- Speaking of his followers, Mozi led a utopian paramilitary movement: he could tax, judge, punish and even under some circumstances put his followers to death. It was apparently quite a demanding and austere lifestyle.
- Speaking of austerity, for sure he was. "What is the purpose of houses? It is to protect us from the wind and cold of winter, the heat and rain of summer, and to keep out robbers and thieves. Once these ends have been secured, that is all. Whatever does not contribute to these ends should be eliminated."
- He also came out swinging against the traditional clan and filial piety system, promoting universal and impartial love as opposed to ... tiered affection? Liking people you know more? This is pretty loving spicy for ancient China just so you know.
- After the Qin united China, Mohism basically vanishes and was probably violently suppressed. This is a little ironic because the Legalist school of thought adopted by the Qin finds many of its antecedents in Mohism thinking.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Emzedoh posted:

Besides everything else that is great about this comic, I just absolutely adore that he had the inspiration and took the effort to draw a little fizzy pop effect for the freshly-poured soft drink. He's just so grounded, I love it.

e: My absolute favourite Boulet always gives me an instant sense memory and transports me back to childhood. It's gorgeous.

Osmosisch has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Oct 11, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Lackadaisy is about the kitty cat 1920s it's very fun, and beautiful.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Nov 28, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Bristlecone 6
Page 400! :toot:
Bristlecone 7
Bristlecone 8
Bristlecone 9

Bristlecone 10

Bristlecone 11

Bristlecone 12

Bristlecone 13

Snicker-snack yoink is op, pls nerf

Talking character deaths: 45
Deaths altogether: 86+
Scepter of Deaths: 10+

Kit Walker posted:

Stand Still. Stay Silent
Crab creature with vehicle carapaces is a fun design!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hempuli posted:

Crab creature with vehicle carapaces is a fun design!

Wasteland 2 had designs for those but they were cut.

Apparently there's some in Fallout 4/76.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I can't post it because it has an official paid English release but if you like comics I'd strongly recommend The Arab of the Future by Riad Satouf. It's an autobiographical comic about growing up as a child of a French mother and Syrian father in both of those countries as well as others. Very compelling stuff. It's currently four volumes, with a fifth on the way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kennel posted:

Wasteland 2 had designs for those but they were cut.

Apparently there's some in Fallout 4/76.

UFO Aftermath also has giant hermit crabs using cars as shells iirc.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Kate Beaton posted some pages that didn't make it into her book.
I liked this one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im the cheap divorce snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

UFO Aftermath also has giant hermit crabs using cars as shells iirc.

giant hermit laser crabs