Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Designing a fruitful scenario where people have to maneuver and be clever, and which is relatively robust to people doing all kinds of wacky things: hard

Combat stat block and Al Capone's favorite instrument: easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Doesn't that paradox arise, at least in a lot of the classic adventures, out of the fact that CoC was created by Chaosium to be an alternative to D&D, which had just come out in the early years of the 80s and was taking the hobby gaming world by storm?

I recall Seth Skorkowsky doing a review of an old CoC module and it seems to throw Cthulhu monsters at the investigators like they're wandering monsters in a D&D dungeon!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Doesn't that paradox arise, at least in a lot of the classic adventures, out of the fact that CoC was created by Chaosium to be an alternative to D&D, which had just come out in the early years of the 80s and was taking the hobby gaming world by storm?

I think it's less than and more that they just didn't know any better back then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The books I have had which seemed to be encouraging focusing on 'in-theme playing' were from about the same era as late 1E/early 2E D&D, based on publishing dates and so on.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I recall Seth Skorkowsky doing a review of an old CoC module and it seems to throw Cthulhu monsters at the investigators like they're wandering monsters in a D&D dungeon!

Less Call of Cthulhu and more the Basic Role-Play system, that CoC is based on. I think the next biggest BRP game is 7th Sea or 7th Age, I forget what its called and my BRP book is in AK about 5k miles away.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Less Call of Cthulhu and more the Basic Role-Play system, that CoC is based on. I think the next biggest BRP game is 7th Sea or 7th Age, I forget what its called and my BRP book is in AK about 5k miles away.

Runequest, the original BRP system.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Wanna be the sixth or seventh to second not enjoying combat overmuch. I started the metagame thing with the big guns, on my like, third character, rolled up an ex-civil war sniper who carried a Martini Rifle (30-odd damage on an extreme hit, and dude had a LOT of points in Rifle so it was not uncommon). It sucked. Combat went from super dangerous to super easy. Oneshotted the final boss of a module, I didn't even realize he WAS the big bad, I just had a clear shot and... 'good game everyone, I guess'.

I literally Poochie'd him, he got a portal spell, so I had him take a one-way-ride to Limbo, he's probably still One-shotting Hunting Horrors.

Shameless plug for the one-off module I submitted to a DG contest (was originally a CoC module) where no one can stay dead, so combat can run like Pulp but you can also do random poo poo like warp yourself around a building by jumping down elevator shafts or throwing yourself into a furnace in a basement and reconstitute out of smoke on the roof near the chimney. I like the RP/Improv stuff more than the mechanical dicerolling at this point, but if your table wants to fight stuff it fully takes the leash off and provides an in-universe reason for tearing up the rulebook.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 22, 2022

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

We’ve been playing Call of Cthulhu for several months now with our dear RPG group and I think I won in last night’s session? But now I don’t know what to do going forward.

So we are or were a team of Investigators in Hollywood in the 1920’s. My P.I. character worked for a studio head and sold him this weird film we found of a fish people ritual- which triggered him wanting to make a new kind of film. The rest of the team was getting deep into the mythos & spells and we showed up at the studio for a conversation during last night’s session.

At the climax, all but my character decide to join a newly formed Dagon cult while mine left in disgust at being betrayed by his fellow Investigators & what he’d helped create. The rest, save one who successfully managed to escape, have surrendered their characters.

But my P.I. made it out unscathed, health & sanity intact & I’m inclined to just let him go because living with the knowledge of being an architect of the doom of mankind & betrayed by his friends might be a win condition when it’s usually death and madness? Is this winning Call of Cthulhu?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You finished a campaign in a way that sounds very rewarding, yet leaves the door open for a sequel. I guess that's as close to "winning" a storygame about fish people as you can get.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think you absolutely did win!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You not only won, but you set yourself up for a triumphant reappearance in a successor campaign

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

I feel like I would call this guy up to Badass NPC Valhalla.

Let him make cameos in future modules. Questgiver, assistant, antagonist (He certainly isn't about to let some wet behind the ears schmucks play around in what he knows is dangerous territory). It's all gravy.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

quote:

They feel that they are adrift in a madhouse, where the laws of reality have changed, that they are intruding on a world obsessed by its devotion to artifice and trickery. They are behind the scenes, party to the clockwork demon of art. After a third group of slaves in foil chains skip past, or after a sidelong glance reveals a baleful eye as big as a dinner table glaring at them between the curtains, each investigator must receive a Sanity roll (lose 0/1 Sanity points) to resist the idea that their search has no significance or importance, that the theater is reality, and that illusion is the goal to which all activity is directed.

I'm going to track down Bernard Caleo and give him a swirlie. The Milan chapter of HotOE suuuuuuuucks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's the one with the terrible opera plot, yes? Because I remember that sanity loss being the absolute silliest sanity loss I've ever seen.

There isn't even a weird fish!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Night10194 posted:

That's the one with the terrible opera plot, yes? Because I remember that sanity loss being the absolute silliest sanity loss I've ever seen.

There isn't even a weird fish!

Yup. I'm definitely going to have to rewrite this. I like La Scala as a central location and the disappearance of Caterina Cavollaro as plot elements, but the connective tissue in the scenario as written is dogshit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Haha i remember such broad strokes of the campaign that I have no recollection of how that wraps up. Is that also the chapter with the two young lovers?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

weekly font posted:

Haha i remember such broad strokes of the campaign that I have no recollection of how that wraps up. Is that also the chapter with the two young lovers?

Nope! I think that's Venice. Milan has ONE path and absolutely no advice or information for deviation.

quote:

The evidence from Conti’s desk combined with the society article (Milan Handout #3) may give the investigators the name of Arturo Faccia, and lead them towards a confrontation with him prior to the premiere of Aida.

Faccia has an imposing neo-Renaissance style mansion on Via Gesù. Keepers may wish to stage a showdown there. However, it is more likely that Faccia is hiding out at his northern warehouse prior to the big night. There may not be sufficient time to track down Faccia before the fateful aria is sung.

That is all the info that the scenario has on the whereabouts of its main antagonist outside of the path it expects you to take.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Boy it's helpful to hear other people say what I assumed was my personal take on the Orient Express.

Question regarding the Summer Camp module. I'm realizing a good bit is making the Sanity bombs in this module based on having to deal with the teen counselors. Trying to get info out of some bored punk who thinks getting some old person pissed off is the funniest thing all week. So far I have a Regina George type, who would zero in on any character who is sickly, nerdy, had a background of being bullied as a kid. A pair of burnouts who will go out of their way to wind up any honor/duty/soldier/cop type. And a Daria Morgendorfer who will mercilessly make fun of any steakhead jock types.

Are there other Mean Teen archetypes? Got Athlete/Princess, Criminal, Brain/Basketcase. Other CoC/DG archetypes? I feel this covers like 90% of the characters I see people play.

E: friend with kids had a good one. Only thing worse than spending time with a kid who hates adults is one who likes adults. A little Ben Shapiro/Tracy Flick twerp who presents themselves as ready to help in any way but has no information because no one talks to them because they are a dork and snitch and narc. Periodic low level SAN checks for whoever has to spend time with them and they can't be gotten rid of once engaged with, just fobbed off onto someone else. Constantly asking for like, letters of recommendation or internships or just validation, whatever. I guess they could be fed to the slasher to get loose.

I also haven't figured out how to win over a Daria. The burnouts, Players can either have a criminal history, failing that give em beer or weed, or let them gently caress around with someone's gun. The mean girl you're gonna have to be famous already, or RP join her in mocking either the nerdy PC in the party or one of the other teens. But like, mean. Like, high school mean. Which is kinda also Daria's thing but with less cruelty and more sarcastic remove.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 25, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So on a whim I decided I wanted to have all of Lovecraft's horror/fantasy stuff in physical print, I already had that one big volume Barnes & Noble did that claims to be complete but that one has a rather nasty printing error(a page in the middle of Call of Cthulhu is missing most of the text) and is missing a bunch of stories anyways, but near as I can tell no one has done a physical one volume collection that isn't missing at least some of his stories(usually his collaborative and/or ghostwritten works but also often his "juvenilia" stories*), so I decide that the next best thing would be to have all of them in as few volumes as possible from the same publisher, this took a bit of digging but I finally found what I was looking for in the four volume set Wordsworth Editions did for their Tales of Mystery & The Supernatural series**; The Whisperer in Darkness, The Horror in the Museum, The Haunter of the Dark, and The Lurking Fear, handsome books of a decent enough print quality for their price(about 7 to 8 bucks per volume), about the only complaint I have is that how the volumes are organized is a bit weird and even arbitrary, the first volume claims to focus on the "main" stories of the Cthulhu Mythos, volume two focuses on the collaborations, volume three covers the majority of his stories not in the first two volumes including all of his Randolph Carter stories as well as Supernatural Horror In Literature, while volume four(the thinnest volume) is a grab bag of various works both among his earliest as well as stories not published till after he died as well as another essay of his Notes on Writing Weird Fiction, this results in the volumes being all over the place in page count and resultant thickness(Lurking Fear is only 254 pages while Haunter of the Dark is more than double it's size at 591 pages) though this is admittedly a pretty minor and petty complaint all things considered

*which is a shame because The Beast in the Cave is actually really good for something he wrote when he was 14

**might have to acquire some of the other books in this series in the future like The King In Yellow

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

PipHelix posted:

Mechanics Question:
I kinda feel like saying what your character is doing on the dancefloor is very much 'dancing about architecture' though? Maybe I'm not versed enough to speak about it intelligently. Anyway, one idea I had, it's online not live, is, I download a couple .gifs (.gives?) of people dancing - Madonna voguing, Smooth Criminal Video, Moe Syzlak Funk Dancing for Self Defense, etc. Tell the dancer to give me a clip of someone dancing without describing it to the group, and then I match theirs with one of mine, post both in chat and have the group vote without knowing which is their teammate and which is Abdul Al-Swayze. It's a little clunky but I think it might could work. It just needs to be good for a laugh. Any better ideas?

I.E.
Vs
WHO YA GOT

E: If possible, I would try to engineer it so all the final fights go down at once - I.e. Cut from the green beret running through the woods to their prepared kill zone with the slasher stalking them, to the science guys working furiously on the blackboard, to the JackRabbit Slim's Twist Contest so there's enough time for me to cut gifs out of youtube vids or whatever the player fighting Swayze gives me, since I'll have no control of the format. At least that way dead air is avoided.

Worked... ok. Honestly the gimmick was the clunkiest part of it. problem is the inability to manage different streams of info. If I had more than the one monitor, I could have had discord open for chat, roll 20 open for rolls, and another separate tab open for playing of music and gifs. Gives?

To manage all the threads, and give players a little OOC cheat-knowledge to start, I had opening scenes where the players all played someone who fell into the orbit of one of the villains. Which worked well, I think, even if in one case I had to literally chase the character down the path to his quest to get things going. The idea was they described what they saw, meaning I had to redesign certain aspects of all the villains on the fly, so the players give the DM some improv prompts that he has to respond to, it's not just a puzzle box I present.

Had a lot of fun. This round, the Slasher was the aggrieved owner of the local high school's Bulldog Mascot. The players decided the teens got real high last summer, kidnapped it, fed it cupcakes until it had a diabetic seizure then threw the body in a lake. Made for a very ridiculous comeuppance when he showed up in his dog training armor and a big fuckoff hook to kill kids.

One player was an absolute combat monster, like 90% skills, so... the combat ended quickly but kinda uneventfully, he just hit them once, they luckily passed a CON check to stay on their feet, then he hit them next round for the coup de grace, but the reveal that as they were trying to evacuate the kids from the party where the slasher was coming that the actual Big Bad was the 150 year old teen no one really knew who organized the party to steal all their souls, and that he was not allied with the slasher, was antagonistic because he needed those kids to feed on, and opened combat threatening him if he didn't quit hook slicing his food his rear end was next on his shitlist after the PCs was, I'm told, a fun reveal. Thought they were in a King Kong movie but it's Kong V Godzilla and they need to kill them both.

Still working on timing, we went way over and I knew that we would go at least a little over. Being able to call a game when it seems like there's only a little left is a real skill I need to get good at.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 11, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PipHelix posted:

Worked... ok. Honestly the gimmick was the clunkiest part of it. problem is the inability to manage different streams of info. If I had more than the one monitor, I could have had discord open for chat, roll 20 open for rolls, and another separate tab open for playing of music and gifs. Gives?

To manage all the threads, and give players a little OOC cheat-knowledge to start, I had opening scenes where the players all played someone who fell into the orbit of one of the villains. Which worked well, I think, even if in one case I had to literally chase the character down the path to his quest to get things going. The idea was they described what they saw, meaning I had to redesign certain aspects of all the villains on the fly, so the players give the DM some improv prompts that he has to respond to, it's not just a puzzle box I present.

Had a lot of fun. This round, the Slasher was the aggrieved owner of the local high school's Bulldog Mascot. The players decided the teens got real high last summer, kidnapped it, fed it cupcakes until it had a diabetic seizure then threw the body in a lake. Made for a very ridiculous comeuppance when he showed up in his dog training armor and a big fuckoff hook to kill kids.

One player was an absolute combat monster, like 90% skills, so... the combat ended quickly but kinda uneventfully, he just hit them once, they luckily passed a CON check to stay on their feet, then he hit them next round for the coup de grace, but the reveal that as they were trying to evacuate the kids from the party where the slasher was coming that the actual Big Bad was the 150 year old teen no one really knew who organized the party to steal all their souls, and that he was not allied with the slasher, was antagonistic because he needed those kids to feed on, and opened combat threatening him if he didn't quit hook slicing his food his rear end was next on his shitlist after the PCs was, I'm told, a fun reveal. Thought they were in a King Kong movie but it's Kong V Godzilla and they need to kill them both.

Still working on timing, we went way over and I knew that we would go at least a little over. Being able to call a game when it seems like there's only a little left is a real skill I need to get good at.

You should run these B Movie mash-em-ups as one shots for goons, cause I think you’d have a high amount of takers to play teen archetypes. Would give you a chance to work out ideas and be frank about intentions with players before you take it live.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So my group has started Masks of Nyarlathotep and we're doing it pulp.

I've created a Egghead and taken the Weird Science and Handy trait. Their backstory is they're a Prussian born Medical doctor and triple Phd (Chemistry, Biology and Pharmacy) who spend the war years working for the Central Power making chemical weapons. A botched experiment left them horribly scarred (rolled a 30 for Appearance), and the whole ordeal made them question their choices and she has sworn to devote her life to healing rather than harming. My intention was to go full mad scientist after her SAN took a drive and create some truly awful devices, but the dice gods had other plans; she succeeded in every SAN role baring one and actually completed the first chapter with more SAN than she started with.

There is a four year break between Chapters - my GM gave us us 8 skill checks to improve anything, I used them all to study physics (at a university, which adjusted for inflation, cost less for the degree than a single semester of my own piece of paper) and managed to fail every roll, boosting the skill from 1 to 61, which was frankly insane and probably means I'm going to die next session.

Basically my issue is I'm stumped with what to create using Weird Science that isn't some sort of horrible weapon that will eventually be named in the Geneva Conventions. So I've come up with an Auto-Injector (like an Epi-Pen) to quickly deliver one dose of any particular drug (gives advantage on first aid/brawl rolls), but am otherwise racking my brain for things to create. The pulp book has some suggestions but none of them seem reasonable given the retractions I'm putting on myself, except maybe a very early walkie talkie device.

I just want some fun stuff that wont hurt people (for now.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rougey posted:

I've created a Egghead and taken the Weird Science and Handy trait. Their backstory is they're a Prussian born Medical doctor and triple Phd (Chemistry, Biology and Pharmacy) who spend the war years working for the Central Power making chemical weapons. A botched experiment left them horribly scarred (rolled a 30 for Appearance), and the whole ordeal made them question their choices and she has sworn to devote her life to healing rather than harming. My intention was to go full mad scientist after her SAN took a drive and create some truly awful devices, but the dice gods had other plans; she succeeded in every SAN role baring one and actually completed the first chapter with more SAN than she started with.

There is a four year break between Chapters - my GM gave us us 8 skill checks to improve anything, I used them all to study physics (at a university, which adjusted for inflation, cost less for the degree than a single semester of my own piece of paper) and managed to fail every roll, boosting the skill from 1 to 61, which was frankly insane and probably means I'm going to die next session.

Basically my issue is I'm stumped with what to create using Weird Science that isn't some sort of horrible weapon that will eventually be named in the Geneva Conventions. So I've come up with an Auto-Injector (like an Epi-Pen) to quickly deliver one dose of any particular drug (gives advantage on first aid/brawl rolls), but am otherwise racking my brain for things to create. The pulp book has some suggestions but none of them seem reasonable given the retractions I'm putting on myself, except maybe a very early walkie talkie device.

Guess it depends on how much Pulp is too much Pulp(or how hard it would be to model but relevant to the discussion;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rougey posted:

Rocket boots!!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone read Raiders of R'lyeh? It's a pulp d100-based Cthulhu game set in 1910, and there's a Kickstarter up for a new sandbox campaign using tramp steamers. This is exciting and right up my alley. However, a bit of research tells me that RPGPundit was involved in the core book and there's a special thanks to Doug TenNaple in there. This doesn't mean I won't buy it, but if the game is a celebration of colonialism in the Edwardian era I'm not gonna be that interested.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thanlis posted:

Anyone read Raiders of R'lyeh? It's a pulp d100-based Cthulhu game set in 1910, and there's a Kickstarter up for a new sandbox campaign using tramp steamers. This is exciting and right up my alley. However, a bit of research tells me that RPGPundit was involved in the core book and there's a special thanks to Doug TenNaple in there. This doesn't mean I won't buy it, but if the game is a celebration of colonialism in the Edwardian era I'm not gonna be that interested.
I read through it a minute ago and my impression is that RofR is 100% "oops all sandbox!" period along with a shitload of "we got CoC at home" vibes in the construction. The core book was full of everything that could be statted out and the premade adventure...I don't remember the specific context, I just remember it being deeply racist because it took place in a Louisiana swamp and was marrying two-fisted pulp adventure as told by people who are gleeful fans of the genre with a Lovecraft-inspired sandbox story where there were a lot of Black people. It struck me as a forest for the trees type deal, for people who wanted to play CoC as more adventurous and pulpy without understanding why that could be a problem, and I didn't even notice the fact that Pundit was a consultant and TenNapel gets a lot of special credits. I would just pass, period.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Oh wow. The NPC who used to be one of Quantrill’s Raiders is something. And I count exactly zero Black major NPCs in the “Important NPC” section. One Mexican villain, but even he’s a landowner of Spanish descent.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rougey posted:

Chemically infused gauze, but that's similar to the neo-epi-pen.

A portable radio device makes sense, maybe with some kind of simple direction finding so you can track your buddies.

Powerful searchlights (UV emitters optional)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all! Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about Delta Green scenarios, however it seems like a good starting place at least. Anyway, to provide some context I'm pretty new to the DG/CoC settings and system, and am devising my own Delta Greeny-SCPy kind of agency/setting (I think it'll be set in the mid '80s) and as I'm fairly new to GMing in general, I'm just after any input on what you all think are good official and unofficial scenarios and campaigns. Since although we're all interested in the setting, I'll definitely need some pre-written scenarios to help get me off the ground, with figuring out the system and what works well.

So, the main thing I have in mind is that it'll all be kinda... "low paranormal", I guess? So like, SCP-style anomalies, as well as occult/other weird goings-on, but I'm trying to angle away from stuff like aliens and grand cosmic threats, like Cthulhu and whatnot. (I don't mind the possibility of some weird cult(s) that might be a reoccurring side-enemy, though. So some 'lite-Cthulhu' stuff might be OK?) So for instance, I've been looking through some of the official scenarios available, like "Music from a Darkened Room", which seems pretty cool. Spooky house with weird manifestations and whatnot, with the potential for a sacrifice/ritual to permanently end the 'dark connection' with the land. If I run it, I'll probably ignore the 'elder sign' victory alternative perhaps, since that seems like more of a CoC link which...might be hard to explain away, or even attain to begin with. There have also been some others, like "Last Thing's Last" I think it's called, which is a good little scenario too. 'Night Floors' seems to have cool potential, but if I run it it'll probably have to be much later on, since it seems like it may end up being fairly complex - for both players and myself!

But yeah, I'm completely willing to adjust chunks of scenarios and whatnot to suit the overarching narrative/setting, so that's not an issue. For instance, although I haven't read through parts 3-4 of the "Future/Perfect" scenarios, but I might be able to use part one as a standalone and get rid of/repurpose the 'great race' bits. Overall though, I just don't know what good sources of compatible (seeing as I know some earlier edition CoC stuff works with DG. No idea how much of that is more 'small-scale' stuff that doesn't result in/strongly imply the existence of big existential threats) scenarios and campaigns are available. I know there's a bunch of unofficial stuff out there too, but it seems like actually finding a list of sites that contain them is somewhat difficult.

So yeah, thanks in advance for any scenario inputs or even general DG GMing tips! Also, apologies in advance if my post is a little incoherent - I'm pretty tired after reading a lot of this stuff, last night :v: (Also, thanks again for your '30s supplement PDF, DrSunshine! Very handy to have, as we seem to have similar thoughts on direction)

EDIT: Oh also, how do you guys find the earlier investigation/info gathering stage of scenarios? It seems like for some scenarios (like in "Music from a Darkened Room") there's a lot of it, so there's the potential for that stage to go on for quite a long time. Which isn't a problem, I should note - especially since it mostly depends on the group/players as to how it plays out, I imagine. So like, do you guys RP through it all, and make note of how long it all takes (so like, if they take all day -or even two days- split up around town asking questions etc, before going to the house, they might arrive on the second night if they don't want to wait.) or do you kinda just abstract it all a little more, to allow players to get through some parts of it quicker?
(Also, please note that my copies of the handlers guide and players guide haven't arrived yet - so if this seems like a dumb question, that's why! I'm just going by the bare basics for the most part, at this stage)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 28, 2022

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all! Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about Delta Green scenarios, however it seems like a good starting place at least. Anyway, to provide some context I'm pretty new to the DG/CoC settings and system, and am devising my own Delta Greeny-SCPy kind of agency/setting (I think it'll be set in the mid '80s) and as I'm fairly new to GMing in general, I'm just after any input on what you all think are good official and unofficial scenarios and campaigns. Since although we're all interested in the setting, I'll definitely need some pre-written scenarios to help get me off the ground, with figuring out the system and what works well.

Here is a partial list of Delta Green scenarios and useful references.

Delta Green scenarios from the Original Creators: https://fairfieldproject.fandom.com/wiki/Scenarios#From_the_original_creators

The famed Delta Green "Shotgun Scenarios" 2005-2021: https://fairfieldproject.fandom.com/wiki/Shotgun_Scenarios

Whispers of the Dead, the unofficial Delta Green fanzine put together by the Night at the Opera discord:https://itch.io/c/2311705/whispers-of-the-dead-delta-green-fanzine

The mellonbread (and friends) Delta Green scenario content:https://docs.google.com/document/d/15CIOxfWU2WokHd3R4GG_bNP3oXuFDL-94JHwNScTsys/edit

And a book I recommend to every Mythos GM, Stealing Cthulhu by Graham Walmsley and others: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/106251/Stealing-Cthulhu

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Excellent, thanks for those! I actually have another question though, if you don't mind. Since I've taken a look online and it seems like a lot of the 'monsters' contained in the handlers book are... possibly a bit much for a group of 3-4 players to handle, unless they like, call in an F-111 to drop a bomb on it, or something.

So what I'm wondering is, are there any good (official or unofficial) bestiaries/'monster manual' type books, with a bunch of creatures of varying threat level, to use in scenarios?
I've tried searching online to see if I can make some progress on this front myself, and it seems like the CoC Malleus Monstrorum is recommended as a potential option, although I assume some adjustments to make them fit better with DG would be needed. (Since DG is based on an older edition than CoC's current iteration, right?) I mean, I'm not overly keen on simply using Lovecraftian monsters a lot, but I could always take a statblock from a book like MM as a base, then reskin and adjust it appropriately, so it's not simply 'Attack of the Deep One'

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone had luck including more 'mundane' mini-scenarios in DG campaigns? Since I'm wondering about making some shorter scenarios for use here and there between bigger missions, but with the possibility that the players get caught up in some more mundane dramas while on the way there or back. Like I dunno, getting caught up in a plane hijacking and needing to try to resolve it (while hopefully avoiding being on the news) or being caught up in a bank robbery-turned-siege or something. Or even like, being unexpectedly snowed-in somewhere after a mission, and potentially having to work with some captured enemy agents/cultists/whatever to get out ASAP to relay important news, before then figuring out what to do with the enemies-turned-helpful-people

EDIT: Apologies again about all these questions - pretty basic stuff I'm sure! I'm just pretty new to GMing in general, and extremely new to this style of RPG

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 29, 2022

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone had luck including more 'mundane' mini-scenarios in DG campaigns? Since I'm wondering about making some shorter scenarios for use here and there between bigger missions, but with the possibility that the players get caught up in some more mundane dramas while on the way there or back. Like I dunno, getting caught up in a plane hijacking and needing to try to resolve it (while hopefully avoiding being on the news) or being caught up in a bank robbery-turned-siege or something. Or even like, being unexpectedly snowed-in somewhere after a mission, and potentially having to work with some captured enemy agents/cultists/whatever to get out ASAP to relay important news, before then figuring out what to do with the enemies-turned-helpful-people
Try the Mundane or New Contest.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

So what I'm wondering is, are there any good (official or unofficial) bestiaries/'monster manual' type books, with a bunch of creatures of varying threat level, to use in scenarios?
I've tried searching online to see if I can make some progress on this front myself, and it seems like the CoC Malleus Monstrorum is recommended as a potential option, although I assume some adjustments to make them fit better with DG would be needed. (Since DG is based on an older edition than CoC's current iteration, right?) I mean, I'm not overly keen on simply using Lovecraftian monsters a lot, but I could always take a statblock from a book like MM as a base, then reskin and adjust it appropriately, so it's not simply 'Attack of the Deep One'

So I think the most typical "monster" you'd encounter is actually just your average "thug with a weapon". Especially if you're going for low-spooky creatures in your campaign, I'd look at a number of scenarios in some published books - I can recommend Harlem Unbound and Berlin: The Wicked City - for inspiration. Pulp Cthulhu has a whole bunch of scenarios too at the back. Most of them start off with a few encounters with local ruffians, hoodlums, mafia goons, beat cops, cultists, and so on.

One really good adventure that doesn't involve any kind of Lovecraftian creatures at all is from Harlem Unbound, it's the second one in the book, That Jazz Craze. That one revolves around a cursed vinyl record that causes madness to anyone who listens to it, and has extensive scenes involving questioning folks, investigating mystery locations, and an encounter with the local mob gang. I ran it for my group and they had a great time with it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice, thanks for those suggestions! And yeah, you're right about that DrSunshine - I expect for the most part, they'll just be encountering fellow shmucks. (Albeit maybe ones who are temporarily/permanently out of their minds or something, like that Jazz Craze one you mentioned)
That Jazz one you mentioned in particular sounds good. I mean, I'd have to adapt it to be more '80s-y, but man, imagine some packed club unwittingly playing it, if the players can't figure it out in time. That'll be one hell of an encounter! :D

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Speaking of delta green, looks like a new iteration of God's teeth is being playtested:

https://twitter.com/HebanonGCal/status/1571867913203884041?t=SoNQsBY4a9kaN-5Dyk-7Sg&s=19

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Cults of Cthulhu might be useful if you are looking for cultists (or cultists with supernatural powers) to challenge your players with. The book looks to be popular (Gold seller, Ennie winner) but I have not read it and neither has anyone I know at the moment. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/375869/Cults-of-Cthulhu

Hideous Creatures: A Bestiary of the Cthulhu Mythos, another book I do not own, was recommended to me highly by three individuals. It might have what you are looking for with regard to creatures of varying threat level. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/298028/Hideous-Creatures-A-Bestiary-of-the-Cthulhu-Mythos

If you are looking for another "mundane origin but amplified with supernatural powers" source, then you may enjoy Earthbound an old White Wolf source book for Demon the Fallen. Naturally you are going to have to make some system adjustments for the abilities. Earthbound deals with cultists of what are essentially Old Ones and it has a system for making your own Old One and what abilities they would bestow to their followers. I have it and have read the book and despite some dumb fiction at the beginning, I've found it to be a really useful supplement for cultists and quasi-human supernatural threats. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/119/Earthbound

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

The Book of Unremitting Horror for Trail/Esoterrorists. It's GUMSHOE based and not 1:1 compatible with Delta Green out of the box, but if you're looking for grotesque creatures in a full range of power levels it's at the top of its class.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, gang! (oops I thought I thanked you ages ago, but apparently I just abandoned the thread after getting the answers I sought) I've actually got a scenario thought up for one of the monster types/groups in The Book of Unremitting Horror already, as something that may happen after another mission.

But also, due to a sale on at drivethruRPG I've picked up the bulk of Delta Green scenario collections - the ones that aren't filled with aliens anyway. I also got the 'The Things We Leave Behind' (I think it's called) collection of scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, since it looked like one or two might be good for my campaign.

A question though, regarding CoC scenarios: Is anyone able to give me any recommendations for scenarios/collections that are decent, BUT don't go crazy on the whole 'elder god' thing. Since MAJOR major threats like that, subterranean lizardmen and alien infiltration (like in some DG scenarios, looks like) are a few things I'm trying to avoid/modify so that the stakes aren't QUITE as high in case they botch things at a key moment, as I'm gonna run it as an ongoing campaign. Plus it just wouldn't fit The Vibe(tm) of what I'm going for, aside from perhaps as a big finale to close off the campaign

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mansions of Madness doesn’t deal with any gods at all, AFAIK. Usually just scientists or adventurers or occultists who got in too deep.

Very few adventures actually have gods as something you interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

a mysterious cloak posted:

Hey all, is there a Lovecraftian game that I can play with my wife and 14 year old, that doesn't involve reading an elaborate rulebook? I'm looking at Arkham Horror, and the learn to play stuff seems fairly straightforward after you get it set up, but I wasn't sure about any of the others. I'm still researching, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Probably sticking to a board- or card-type would be best, as I doubt the rest of the fam would be thrilled about doing RPG stuff like character creation, etc.
The revised Betrayal at House on the Hill is good. Eldritch Horror is basically Arkham Horror Lite. Also a lot of horror rpgs lend themselves well to having a stack of pregens rather than each person creating a character.