Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Whatever the fine for breaking the cost cap is, it should be paid out to the W Series so they can keep the lights on and the wheels spinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
A $1 overspend for any team should result in a full year ban for RBR.

There I fixed the FIA

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pirate Radar posted:

Whatever the fine for breaking the cost cap is, it should be paid out to the W Series so they can keep the lights on and the wheels spinning.

Chad dropping the guillotine blade on horner's neck

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

This wouldn't have happened if Bernie was still in charge!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One of the YouTube channels suggested they hit Red Bull with a 200 manufacturer point fine for the infringement, which would set a precedent that this is a big deal with big consequences, but not change their ranking in the 2021 final standings. I like the idea of staking out an early enforcement position, especially if the FIA also loops in some wind tunnel or CFD allotment penalties.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

There I fixed the FIA

Hard to disagree with this reasoned argument

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EoRaptor posted:

One of the YouTube channels suggested they hit Red Bull with a 200 manufacturer point fine for the infringement, which would set a precedent that this is a big deal with big consequences, but not change their ranking in the 2021 final standings. I like the idea of staking out an early enforcement position, especially if the FIA also loops in some wind tunnel or CFD allotment penalties.

enforcement in spirit

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah but to obviously do something that is intended to look big but actually make zero difference is just confirming that they won't be reversing any previous WDC or WCC's due to <5% cost cap breaches. At which point the cap becomes cap + 5%, because who wouldn't breach it to win WDC or WCC with a guarantee that F1 will be too spineless to claw it back later.

Whatever they do has to actually hurt even a little bit. My guess would be a slight reduction in their 2023 cost cap or wind tunnel time or something, weak and useless but more than nothing.

Also isn't there strong speculation that Red Bull are also going to blow through the cost cap this year? They themselves have already made noises to the media about it. What happens when the same team wins two years in a row while blowing the cost cap two years in a row? At what point do you either have to strip a championship or scrap the cap?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pirate Radar posted:

Adding to the confusion of the ending, Leclerc apparently didn’t know that was the last lap until he crossed the line.

Nobody knew for sure, if you check the post-race audio. Ocon asked his engineer like 4 times “are you sure? I thought we had 1 more?” Since he was still actively defending against Lewis. Lewis thought he had another kap to try and overtake, and Alonso sounded pretty upset as well considering his photo finish with Seb.

As said, Max crossed the line with 3 seconds on the clock, so he should as per the rules have gone 2 extra laps (one with 3 seconds counting down almost immediately, then crossing the start with 0 seconds on the timer which triggers the final lap). Bit for some reason race direction ended it one lap to soon (it’s cause they are hacks).

So much for adhering closely to the rules!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Max would be a terrible LeMans 24hr driver if he couldn't slow down 3's at the end when he had a 20+s lead.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

As said, Max crossed the line with 3 seconds on the clock, so he should as per the rules have gone 2 extra laps (one with 3 seconds counting down almost immediately, then crossing the start with 0 seconds on the timer which triggers the final lap). Bit for some reason race direction ended it one lap to soon (it’s cause they are hacks).

I heard something explain it as if you are at the end of the two hour race time limit you go one extra lap once the clock hits zero and if you are at the end of the three hour total time limit you stop once the lead car crosses the line at zero.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah but to obviously do something that is intended to look big but actually make zero difference is just confirming that they won't be reversing any previous WDC or WCC's due to <5% cost cap breaches. At which point the cap becomes cap + 5%, because who wouldn't breach it to win WDC or WCC with a guarantee that F1 will be too spineless to claw it back later.

Whatever they do has to actually hurt even a little bit. My guess would be a slight reduction in their 2023 cost cap or wind tunnel time or something, weak and useless but more than nothing.

Also isn't there strong speculation that Red Bull are also going to blow through the cost cap this year? They themselves have already made noises to the media about it. What happens when the same team wins two years in a row while blowing the cost cap two years in a row? At what point do you either have to strip a championship or scrap the cap?

They complained and managed to get FIA and 8 other teams to agree to raise this years cap by 3.1%.

quote:

Following the latest meeting of the F1 Commission on Friday morning in Austria, it was confirmed that approval had been given for the budget cap to increase by 3.1%, accounting for the pressures placed by growing costs and inflation.

This had support from F1, the FIA, and nine of the 10 teams, and sees the original indexation planned for 2023 brought forward to come into effect for 2022.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Whatever amount you go over in a season should be deducted from your allowed budget for the next.

If you go over the reduced budget the next season, then your season ends with whatever points you have as soon as you go over.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Whatever amount you go over in a season should be deducted from your allowed budget for the next.

I thought this was already the rule

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought this was already the rule

Is it? Sorry, I'm not 100% up on the penalties so it very well could be. If it is it doesn't seem to matter since they just do it again, so the second part of what I said should be what happens if you go over it again the next year.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ethiser posted:

I heard something explain it as if you are at the end of the two hour race time limit you go one extra lap once the clock hits zero and if you are at the end of the three hour total time limit you stop once the lead car crosses the line at zero.

Ah, right, that might be it then. Is there a rationale for the difference or did somebody just forget to align these?

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

I remember reading that the FIA didn't want to have a specific penalty/penalties attached to the different levels of breaking the cost cap because they didn't want anyone to go "well it's only X points/whatever, it's worth it to us to spend that bit more," especially for the teams that definitely do have that much budget on hand to spend. They absolutely wanted it to be a looming mystery threat instead, so we're absolutely into reaping/sowing territory.

between this and the way points are paid for red flagged races ala Suzuka, it's absolutely a banner week for whoever does sanity checks on the new rules for Formula 1.

Someone needs to tell the FIA about % based fines instead of absolute $ based.

Maybe the Ferrari strategists can help them out

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

oh wow, the mods are now silencing me for my Christian beliefs*

*That Christian Horner and the rest of the cheating red bull team should be disqualified and banned from grand prix racing

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

spaceblancmange posted:

oh wow, the mods are now silencing me for my Christian beliefs*

*That Christian Horner and the rest of the cheating red bull team should be disqualified and banned from grand prix racing

if he gets banned then who will be the grand prix

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Ah, right, that might be it then. Is there a rationale for the difference or did somebody just forget to align these?

Looks like the history is that it originally said.

quote:

However, should two hours elapse before the scheduled race distance is completed, the leader will be shown the chequered flag when he crosses the control line (the Line) at the end of the lap during which the two hour period ended. However, should the race be suspended the length of the suspension will be added to this period.

After the really long Canada race, a clause was added in 2012 to that last bit that said, up to a limit of four hours.

quote:

However, should the race be suspended the length of the suspension will be added to this period up to a maximum total race time of four hours.

Then in 2015 (I think), the first bit was changed to this, but the second part was unchanged.

quote:

However, should two hours elapse before the scheduled race distance is completed, the leader will be shown the chequered flag when he crosses the control line (the Line) at the end of the lap following the lap during which the two hour period ended.

I can’t find any discussion of why this change was made.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Solus posted:

As punishment red bull will have to only have two-star Michelin chefs for 2023

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The idea that the Mercedes, with a revenue of over €160bn, doesn't have benefits worth more than €7m that bleeds into its F1 team is laughable.

Merc and Ferrari are salty as all holy gently caress that RBR spun up RBPT and didn't gently caress it up completely. Because, they can now do the creative accounting that comes along with having an engine development division.
The fact the outcome is Red Bull thought catering wasn't part of the budget cap, and is the reason they're over, is just hilarious.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

mods please strike-through 2022 on my avatar

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Khablam posted:

Merc and Ferrari are salty as all holy gently caress that RBR spun up RBPT and didn't gently caress it up completely. Because, they can now do the creative accounting that comes along with having an engine development division.
The fact the outcome is Red Bull thought catering wasn't part of the budget cap, and is the reason they're over, is just hilarious.

Yes I imagine it was quite difficult to spin up buying engines from Honda, rebadging them to say "Red Bull Powertrains" and installing them in the car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah RBPT currently does not build the engines - they come entirely from Sakura.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Frond posted:

Yeah RBPT currently does not build the engines - they come entirely from Sakura.

Max said during the train wreck post race interview how great it was to win the wdc in front of Honda and then looked a bit sheepish

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There has been an HRC logo on the car the whole year.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Khablam posted:

I also had some discussions with the Ineos Americas cup team early in the pandemic and they were chatting about how there was close collaboration between all the various teams under the Ineos banner which I bet doesn't appear on the Merc balance sheet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Lmao catering

nerox
May 20, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Is it? Sorry, I'm not 100% up on the penalties so it very well could be. If it is it doesn't seem to matter since they just do it again, so the second part of what I said should be what happens if you go over it again the next year.

Eventually you run into a negative number on your budget for the next year and the FIA has to pay you money.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Griefor posted:

Where's this "they're definitely not taking points away" narrative coming from, did FIA say this? Because that bit of text clearly proposes a point penalty for a minor overspend as well.

Anybody saying that is wrong. They can't be excluded from either championship entirely, because they were not found to have committed a material breach. They could have lost WCC and/or WDC points because, as you say, those are among the possible penalties for a minor breach.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It is unlikely that will happen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they weren't willing to remove the championship after that safety car shitshow last year lmao if you think they will this year because they broke the cost cap

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

There has been an HRC logo on the car the whole year.

Horner Retirement Campaign

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Frond posted:

It is unlikely that will happen.

Obviously. But the rules do allow for it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MustardFacial posted:

There I fixed the FIA

I support this new FIA rule.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Now that the season is over I can share with you that I laid out $800 to get a Sony aftermarket car stereo that supports Apple CarPlay for my lovely old Corolla with an exploding transmission and being able to further integrate myself into the Apple ecosystem made it worth every penny

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Griefor posted:

For the 2021 season he can afford to lose exactly 8 points.
Watch them dock Max and Checo 5 points,and the team by 5% points for being between 0 and 5% overspend or something like that.

Blackhawk posted:

They seem to have seen this one coming, cause suddenly there wasn't rumors about a chassis any more; so probs just moving that to next year.

Anyway creative accounting was going to happen, but them loving it up on food would be hilarious.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
As stupid as it is in some respects, this cost cap stuff is working overall.

Yes, any team that is led by Horner or someone like him is going to push the limits and then play things up in the press in ways that get eyes a-rolling and make the FIA look even more feckless then usual.

But we're also not going to have seasons where the top teams spend $500 million+ while the stragglers have IndyCar budgets. I guess it's a subjective call as to whether that trade-off is worth it, but I think it'll be better for the sport overall.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

italian quid posted:

Now that the season is over I can share with you that I laid out $800 to get a Sony aftermarket car stereo that supports Apple CarPlay for my lovely old Corolla with an exploding transmission and being able to further integrate myself into the Apple ecosystem made it worth every penny

Is it an ae86 Corolla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Just imagine how big the gap would be between the 3 front-runners and mid-field if there were no cost caps