Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I would reiterate again though. If Google called it quits in the hardware department, I would probably shift over to Apple. I'm a Samsung tourist but I generally can only use their stuff as my primary device for a few weeks at a stretch before I start getting annoyed by the little things. Oneplus I could use for longer stretches, but not anymore with the colorosification of their stuff. It falls into the same bucket of samsung in that the little things keep adding up and annoying me. Better to make a clean break at that point and be done with it.

I still have a OnePlus 7 Pro running the older OS and I'm surprised by just how much I still like it. I think it's better than my S22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Kirios posted:

I find it very hard to believe the 6/6 Pro only did 3 million sales. That's a tremendously popular phone that I see all over the place out in the wild. Certainly more than I ever saw the 3.

That's probably the first time someone's used "Pixel" and "tremendously popular" in the same sentence.

That said, Google's phones have sold terribly since the Nexus days, I don't think they're in any danger of being discontinued. It doesn't seem to me that sales success is the goal of the Pixel line, I get the impression it's more of an Android/AI testbed for Google. If anything selling too well might create unwanted tension with Google's OEM partners.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My P7Pro pre-order is still listed as "prepared to ship" even though I ordered on launch day; is that normal? It still says the expected delivery is Oct 13-14. Just figured it would have been shipped by now, unless they're shipping it from....down the street?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mental Hospitality posted:

My P7Pro pre-order is still listed as "prepared to ship" even though I ordered on launch day; is that normal? It still says the expected delivery is Oct 13-14. Just figured it would have been shipped by now, unless they're shipping it from....down the street?

nah they lie about that poo poo every year and will delay it to the 21st despite fedex showing it out for delivery on the 13th. The box you receive will have the original label on it underneath the bullshit one they slapped on it after recalling it off the delivery truck as a personal gently caress you from their shipping vendor.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FAUXTON posted:

nah they lie about that poo poo every year and will delay it to the 21st despite fedex showing it out for delivery on the 13th. The box you receive will have the original label on it underneath the bullshit one they slapped on it after recalling it off the delivery truck as a personal gently caress you from their shipping vendor.

:golfclap:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm still baffled by it

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FWIW I got my shipping notification this morning.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Amazon Prime Day has the 6a for $329 but the 6 for just $50 more. Which one should I get?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Get the 6.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

BonoMan posted:

Amazon Prime Day has the 6a for $329 but the 6 for just $50 more. Which one should I get?

As a goon, I like to measure money in chipotle burritos. So for just 5 burritos you can have a better phone. 4 if you get guac.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shadowlz posted:

As a goon, I like to measure money in chipotle burritos. So for just 5 burritos you can have a better phone. 4 if you get guac.

lol.

Also I was able to get an additional 10% off for using my storecard (which wasn't an available offer for the 6a).

So I got the 6. Also free same day shipping yay.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
While I make a final decision, the credit on the Google Store just gets credited back to the credit card I use to pay, yes? So it isn't 899 - tradein value over 24 months, it'll be 899 over 24 months, and I'll get a XXX credit when they accept my old phone?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Mine might be shipped via priority mail? That's the shipping option it gave me. And yesterday USPS sent me an Informed Delivery email with a package on the way from Louisville KY originating at a depot, with an ETA of Friday. Don't have anything else that would match that... But I don't have a shipping notice from Google yet. We'll see!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

While I make a final decision, the credit on the Google Store just gets credited back to the credit card I use to pay, yes? So it isn't 899 - tradein value over 24 months, it'll be 899 over 24 months, and I'll get a XXX credit when they accept my old phone?

Yeah, the credit is treated as an entirely separate transaction.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
my p7p shipped today through ups but I preordered last thursday so idk maybe that has to do with it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sigh, still nothing for me even though it changed to Prepared to Ship on Friday. I ordered as soon as it went live.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
goddamn can we get a "shipping status" thread in IYG for people who enjoy reading when other peoples' electronics may or may not arrive

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

While we're at it can we also get a separate thread in IYG for people complaining about people posting their shipping status?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

guessing the shipping center in illinois is currently holding their "who do we gently caress with" lottery drawing and tracking numbers will start pissing people off shortly

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reminder that the review embargo drops tomorrow.

Also, it's been "confirmed" (as much as it can be I guess) that G2 is still using 5nm. Though, this may not be a huge deal since Samsung's 4nm process is a mess (see SD8 Gen 1) and G2 did switch to A78 cores for the mid which should be more efficient and faster than the A76. It's probably likely the modem is on a better process than 7nm like last years.

The only reason why I have confirmed in quotes is Google really didn't give a straight answer. They said "Our final architecture, which includes 5nm". Samsung also has two different 5nm nodes, 5LPE and 5LPP. The later is new and the former was in use for Tensor G1 (and was used for SD888).

And the real reason for my post (and why I put actual news stuff on top so as not to piss off anyone) Fedex says I have a package coming now :) .

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man I love living in a real city. Ordered the 6 this morning from Amazon and already got it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Reminder that the review embargo drops tomorrow.

Also, it's been "confirmed" (as much as it can be I guess) that G2 is still using 5nm. Though, this may not be a huge deal since Samsung's 4nm process is a mess (see SD8 Gen 1) and G2 did switch to A78 cores for the mid which should be more efficient and faster than the A76. It's probably likely the modem is on a better process than 7nm like last years.

The only reason why I have confirmed in quotes is Google really didn't give a straight answer. They said "Our final architecture, which includes 5nm". Samsung also has two different 5nm nodes, 5LPE and 5LPP. The later is new and the former was in use for Tensor G1 (and was used for SD888).

And the real reason for my post (and why I put actual news stuff on top so as not to piss off anyone) Fedex says I have a package coming now :) .

Is Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 not meant to be really good? Or do you mean Samsung's equivalent is shite by comparison?

I was in work today and wept as the battery dropped like a rock just sitting there, idling on the mobile data connection. I almost hope the Pixel 7 is crap in this regard because I'm experiencing major FOMO if that complaint is resolved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 not meant to be really good?

SD8 Gen 1 isn't a great chipset. It's really inefficient, gets hot, and thermally throttles. SD8+ Gen 1 is massively better even though it's really just the same thing on TSMC's 4nm process.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Wow the pixel 7 pro is 5nm? Trash. Absolute piece of poo poo.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

salt shakeup posted:

Wow the pixel 7 pro is 5nm? Trash. Absolute piece of poo poo.

:emptyquote:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You said you wanted smaller phones, the gently caress are you complaining about now?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

SD8 Gen 1 isn't a great chipset. It's really inefficient, gets hot, and thermally throttles. SD8+ Gen 1 is massively better even though it's really just the same thing on TSMC's 4nm process.

Wait, I thought the new Pixels were on the new SD8+. They're not? poo poo.

:smithcloud:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Wait, I thought the new Pixels were on the new SD8+. They're not? poo poo.

:smithcloud:

What in the hell? You just wake up out of a coma or something?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

What in the hell? You just wake up out of a coma or something?

I don't really follow phone release rumors and leaks, I just wait for phone release time. my disappointment is fresh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google hasn't used a Qualcomm CPU since the Pixel 5a over a year ago. I wouldn't really call it a leak or rumor. Google designing and using their own SoCs has been like the headline banner feature since the 6 came out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So... I completely clusterfucked my phone. Where (on the forums) do I go to annoy people about how to fix it? Tried everything I can with Google searching, accomplished spending like $30 on misc hardware that didn't help, so I figured it's time to ask for some help.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So... I completely clusterfucked my phone. Where (on the forums) do I go to annoy people about how to fix it? Tried everything I can with Google searching, accomplished spending like $30 on misc hardware that didn't help, so I figured it's time to ask for some help.

I'd start here, but you'll need to be a lot more specific. We don't even know the model nor what has been done to it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a blu g90 pro.

My list of "boy that wasn't smart":
1: got wet
2: thought it had dried out, turns out it hadn't.
3: attempted to remove screen since it was black anyway, because I thought I could at least replace that. hosed up the screen.
4: I still see some light on the screen when I hit the power button so it still sorta works.
5: attempted to hook it to a USBC to HDMI to hook into my tv, no joy. No signal on any tv I have or the projector I have.
6: it does charge up using the charging cable BUT I don't hear any sounds, but I dunno if that's because it's on mute or if the speaker is hosed. I can tell it's on somehow because when I use the fingerprint scanner it vibrates a bit.
7: 90% sure it's in airplane mode. I did that back when I turned it off to let it dry out, but before the screen went all black. I did power it in, enter the pin through the USB keyboard and asked Google assistant to turn on wifi but I have no idea if it did or not.

Yea it's hosed and I'm an idiot for trying to remove/replace the screen on my own but now I'm just kinda clueless on where to go next. I can't enable USB debugging because I have no working screen and I can't really do anything with adb until that's enabled.

So, basically, I'm clusterfucked on this one. I have stuff I'd rather not lose, but I have no idea what to try next.

Any ideas? :shrug:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Buy a new phone, dumbass.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:rip:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

salt shakeup posted:

:hmmyes:

I'll sell you by Pixel 6 for £400 :suicide:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a new one. I know this one is busted, but I'm hoping there's some way to get the data off.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I just bought a new one. I know this one is busted, but I'm hoping there's some way to get the data off.

Just restore your cloud backup onto the new phone?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

salt shakeup posted:

dsyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BabyFur Denny posted:

Just restore your cloud backup onto the new phone?

That's not going to be everything though. I'm really wanting to not lose various pics, etc.