Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

evobatman posted:

I've sat through tons of aptitude tests and personality tests and scientology tests and big five and whatever poo poo in job interviews. It's just white noise in the interview process, and after HR has gotten their box checked in the interview process, I have never heard a single one of these tests ever mentioned again.

I've been dropped from a few processes since my answers weren't in line in what they were looking for. Which is baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We want a diverse organisation. No not like that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Breetai posted:

Whoever decided that Agile should be applied to general project management and handling of BAU functions can suck the rancid farts directly out of my arsehole.

How do you... how do you do Agile on BAU processes?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Fil5000 posted:

I was on a client doing BAU ops work, I had to create weekly Jira tickets for individual BAU tasks. We even joined the weekly scrum meetings to report the weekly BAU tasks.

All in all, I reckon at least 4 hours of my week was wasted on being “agile”.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

ShoeFly posted:

I was on a client doing BAU ops work, I had to create weekly Jira tickets for individual BAU tasks. We even joined the weekly scrum meetings to report the weekly BAU tasks.

All in all, I reckon at least 4 hours of my week was wasted on being “agile”.

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Serious answer: if the work has to be tracked in Jira, create a seperate issue type for BAU topics with a field config and workflow appropriate to what is actually being asked. Nothing's worse than trying to do everything in Jira with one issue type. (Ask me how we learned that.) The question of whether this still has a place within Scrum meetings is another topic; I reckon the devs didn't like listening to that any more than you did reporting on that bullshit. If anything, report that directly to the Product Owner, who can bring it up in the Review meetings if it is at all relevant to the development process.

If this whole "agile" implementation is driven by upper management, though, run. Are those weeklies supposed to be Sprint Reviews? (yikes) Or is upper management gathering all the devs and contractors into yet another weekly meeting aside from the Scrum stuff? (yikes) Either way, sounds like they didn't understand Agile, but that's sadly all too common. And I say this knowing that No True Scrum is a fallacy in itself; Agile orthodoxy does not fix every problem, but it's most sincerely not a system you can just grab some artifacts/labels from and expect it to work.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Asteroid Alert posted:

I've been dropped from a few processes since my answers weren't in line in what they were looking for. Which is baffling.

The power move is to say to the interviewer "You do know I can make these tests say whatever I want them to, right?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Erwin posted:

Imagine having the skill to write code but only ever being allowed to fix other people’s poo poo. Help desk sucks enough already, why do that to them?

As a consultant, my job is basically this.

"Why your database so slow!? You crappy slow database!"

JavaScript code:

var alldocs= db.selectDocumentsWhere('*');
for (var doc of alldocs) {
if (IsMyDoc(doc)) {
return doc
}}

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

As a consultant, my job is basically this.

"Why your database so slow!? You crappy slow database!"

JavaScript code:
var alldocs= db.selectDocumentsWhere('*');
for (var doc of alldocs) {
if (IsMyDoc(doc)) {
return doc
}}

:stonklol:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As a member of <team> I won't to do <task> so that it is complete.

See, absolutely no problem describing BAU as a User Story.

Gatac posted:

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed.

I say this all the time about our SAFe implementation, which we've basically been flailing around for two years for a variety of reasons, but mostly boiling down to it being a completely inappropriate framework for ops work but the only response from leadership is to double down, triple down, quadruple down on SAFe rituals as if it's some kind of holy tome, instead of putting in the real difficult work of molding it to fit the work, or admitting that it's just not working.

Events yesterday that happened to a good friend (coworker may have finally driven me over the edge though, and I'll be spending a fair amount of my time from now on applying to new jobs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They actually mentioned how many man hours it was in their post, it's not some abstract thing

Just because they measured the hours spent on a task that is ripe for fixing/automation does not make the ongoing existence of that task a good thing. And if it were to be a good thing - why not go backwards? De-automate tasks, have people manually assemble reports from data with calculators?

What to do with excess productivity is a problem that has to be solved at the societal level, not an individual business.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

As a member of <team> I won't to do <task> so that it is complete.

See, absolutely no problem describing BAU as a User Story.

Although not every good Story/change request type ticket has a stereotypical "As X I want Y because Z" single sentence user story, it's a good basic sanity check. Are you writing multiple sentences to describe the whole thing? You should probably slice this into multiple tickets. Are you having trouble formulating what must be done in this form? Consider whether this is A Thing you really want to do with a Story ticket.

Like, toss that poo poo into Refinement. What are your acceptance criteria other than "it is complete"? What tests are you writing to check this? If the thing cannot be described in such terms, then I reckon it's got to be handled another way.

quote:

I say this all the time about our SAFe implementation, which we've basically been flailing around for two years for a variety of reasons, but mostly boiling down to it being a completely inappropriate framework for ops work but the only response from leadership is to double down, triple down, quadruple down on SAFe rituals as if it's some kind of holy tome, instead of putting in the real difficult work of molding it to fit the work, or admitting that it's just not working.

Events yesterday that happened to a good friend (coworker may have finally driven me over the edge though, and I'll be spending a fair amount of my time from now on applying to new jobs.

I'm a big fan of using tools/frameworks for what they're good at.

It's completely fine to use Jira or whatever as an issue tracker for ops work, f'rex, but you wouldn't use the same configuration for that and a Story/CR issue type, you wouldn't organize Ops work in an Agile framework outside of maybe saying reserving X story points (or however you do capacity planning) in the Sprint for operational stuff that needs to be done by the devs, and particularly you wouldn't put that poo poo into Scrum meetings because those are for development poo poo. The most I wanna hear about those is "I'm busy with operational things today, no progress on my CR tickets" in the Daily and "Spent too much time on operational stuff, can we automate this?" in the Retrospective.

I'm not familiar with SAFe so I can't judge what you're describing on those merits, but if you're gonna do Scrum, do it right, and if you find Scrum doesn't do what you need it to do, don't use it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Agile is poo poo from a butt for anything but app dev work and even then I think it starts breaking down in terms of usefulness at a certain scale with lots of interdependencies on other teams anyways. It’s ubiquitousness is odd because it’s not like most teams it’s foisted on weren’t responsive in the first place.

I’ve worked with a couple F1000’s doing it recently and frankly having entire orgs dedicated to ‘agile’ is pathetic and they are stuffed to the gills with simple minded non technical dipshits looking to cash in on buzzwords. And somehow it’s still going on despite everyone who isn’t in these agile orgs agreeing it is a dumpster fire compared to just maintaining your own form of organization/work distribution

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Also gently caress Jira, absolute piece of poo poo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Breetai posted:

Whoever decided that Agile should be applied to general project management and handling of BAU functions can suck the rancid farts directly out of my arsehole.

I love having to call our daily meeting, that has nothing to do with agile programming, a scrum. Because it was mandated across the whole technology division that we had to use agile buzzwords.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Devor posted:

What to do with excess productivity is a problem that has to be solved at the societal level, not an individual business.

Okay, but it was specifically mentioned that the bosses didn't have any intention of changing it and the goon went out of their way to convince the bosses it would save them money.

You don't have to help make problems worse. If the issue was getting handled on time and the business wanted to 'waste' a quarter million a year, let them!

Maybe I'm just not in the tech bro mindset yet since this time last year I was still slinging boxes all night at a retail warehouse, even a lovely job doing the same type of help ticket every day would be the best job possible comparatively.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
SAFe is top down waterfall style project management with a dusting of agile buzzwords, so leadership can still be in control, but say they're agile with empowered product teams. I'm sure it works some places, once they've tweaked it for their environment, but that requires understanding what all the "rituals" are supposed to deliver, and why they're not delivering that for your organization. Instead we just keep doubling down on SAFe rituals because we don't see the outcome the framework says we should be getting, but we don't understand why, so we just "SAFe harder". Oh, the end of PI system demo is supposed to show the value created during the PI but it's not doing that. Ok, what if we have two PI demos per PI. Oh still not cutting it? Let's have org wide demos every sprint, surely then the value created will be demonstrated.

Refining a User Story to fit the work would require understanding how a user story delivers value, but absent doing that, you just blindly stumble through. I guess my example could have been interested as useful, so here's a more realistic example.

As a member of the SRE team, I want to patch the server so that it is patched. The <team> is just the team of the person doing the work, the <task> is just a normal operational task, and the "so that" is just regurgitating the task to be done.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The way I explain it to people is that all frameworks do is add intentional limitations to a process. When you could do literally anything all the time, nothing ever gets done and what does get done is a poorly reinvented wheel. But you're still adding limitations and if those limitations don't make sense for what you're trying to do, you're going to be fighting against the framework and end up with garbage.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, but it was specifically mentioned that the bosses didn't have any intention of changing it and the goon went out of their way to convince the bosses it would save them money.

You don't have to help make problems worse. If the issue was getting handled on time and the business wanted to 'waste' a quarter million a year, let them!

Maybe I'm just not in the tech bro mindset yet since this time last year I was still slinging boxes all night at a retail warehouse, even a lovely job doing the same type of help ticket every day would be the best job possible comparatively.

lol

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Agile is poo poo from a butt for anything but app dev work

Sorry to quote mine but that is absolutely the core of the issue. Agile can work for app dev work in small teams if everyone is on the same page with it. Beyond that, it's not appropriate and anyone who mandates it is at best clueless.

The answer to every "how do I scale Scrum beyond the team size mentioned in the Scrum Guide" and "How do I do X that is not mentioned in the Scrum Guide with Scrum" type question is "You don't."

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fil5000 posted:

They assign the same number of story points in Jira to "manage all inbound contact to a Level 1 tech support/access provision inbox" as they do to tasks that take about 2 days of a fortnightly sprint, and that task actually takes anywhere between an average of 20% of each day in one given week to 100% of each day in a particularly busy week because it's completely variable/dependent on how many people happen to contact which is by its very nature not estimable.

My previous service desk role was folded into a platform management team with 3 weeks warning and prior to a role description being written for my position in the new team. Then they pile on more work on top of that to the point where even discounting my supposed workload via those helpdesk story points I have more points worth of tasks allocated to me than anyone else in the team below associate director level.

Also when they suggest that I can do task x this sprint with a view to doing task x+1 next sprint and I point out that if I just take an extra 20 minutes I can just do task x+1 and get it all wrapped up sooner and eliminate a round of managerial oversight and back and forth they say 'no just do task x right now'.

This is, somehow, agile.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Nah this particular workflow was loathed by everyone. The customers hated that it took a week to do something they felt should be simple. Support hated the tediousness and exacting requirements; it took an average of seven back-and-forth conversations with the customer to get everything correct. Operations hated being on customer time once they received the thing; this was a major source of being called while on call. The hatred went further than that, but I can't talk about it.

It was an absolute poo poo experience for everyone. The dollars saved is how I finally convinced our unresponsive, hidebound product management team to actually do something our users, both internal and external, wanted instead of chasing features no one gave a poo poo about.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We keep writing "User Stories" that are just tasks to complete, and I am absolutely losing my loving mind.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This week can gently caress right off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wibla posted:

This week can gently caress right off.

sorry dude, what's up

not gonna lie I'm having a great loving week so far, everything is just clicking

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I have been the helpdesk monkey trying to escape by applying to retail warehouses to sling boxen. It's way less stressful work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

sorry dude, what's up

not gonna lie I'm having a great loving week so far, everything is just clicking

Monday was off to a great start with a full day of meetings, with most of it being office politics bullshit and fights over fiefdoms (and implied: future budgets), then I get home, look at the date, and realise that it's been two years since my old man passed. Yeah...
Today? More of the above bullshit.

I hope the rest of the week will be better :unsmith:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Apple Mail can go straight to hell, turning on M365 MFA for everyone shouldn't be this difficult.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

klosterdev posted:

Apple Mail can go straight to hell, turning on M365 MFA for everyone shouldn't be this difficult.

Apple Mail requires legacy auth??!??!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it doesn't

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

unless you have some ridiculously old devices I guess

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
CEO had a ridiculously old device. Luckily just deleting the user account and re-adding it seems to have done the trick.

Mad at a lot of things, mainly myself for not successfully getting more people off of office 2013 before this happened. We were stuck there until about six months ago for dependence on Access 2013 of all things, and it's been a fight to get the bosses to purchases O365 licenses since then. One I was starting to win in that we recently purchased 20 licenses for new staff . . . but have not won yet to the point old people are moving on, so I had an awful morning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you originally set the account up with a username/password or an app-specific password and just migrated between devices then it would have kept working, even though Modern Auth has been supported for years. An iOS update got pushed to convert existing Exchange Online accounts to Modern Auth seamlessly but I think the desktop app needs the account removing and adding again to trigger the auth flow.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's for iPhones and iPads interestingly enough, enabling MFA for them keeps causing an issue where Mail is saying that the password is incorrect. No issues when using the Microsoft Outlook app, but I'm not going to be able to convince clients to use a separate mail app for work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s some pointers here

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/microsoft-and-apple-working-together-to-improve-exchange-online/ba-p/3513846

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

They assign the same number of story points in Jira to "manage all inbound contact to a Level 1 tech support/access provision inbox" as they do to tasks that take about 2 days of a fortnightly sprint, and that task actually takes anywhere between an average of 20% of each day in one given week to 100% of each day in a particularly busy week because it's completely variable/dependent on how many people happen to contact which is by its very nature not estimable.

My previous service desk role was folded into a platform management team with 3 weeks warning and prior to a role description being written for my position in the new team. Then they pile on more work on top of that to the point where even discounting my supposed workload via those helpdesk story points I have more points worth of tasks allocated to me than anyone else in the team below associate director level.

Also when they suggest that I can do task x this sprint with a view to doing task x+1 next sprint and I point out that if I just take an extra 20 minutes I can just do task x+1 and get it all wrapped up sooner and eliminate a round of managerial oversight and back and forth they say 'no just do task x right now'.

This is, somehow, agile.

"Your priority is to enter your program of work for the next two fortnights into Jira by tomorrow as I'm on leave for a month and need to see what you'll be doing."

"This will be challenging to achieve as it relies upon me first scoping out a multi-month-long program of work that will inform the next several sprints which is a time-intensive task that I haven't even been able to start thinking about because I spent every working minute last week attending to the support desk and the support desk continues to demand my time and there are several urgent access requests from people who are literally blocked from being able to do their work until they are cleared."

"Then don't attend to the support desk until it is done."

"Even if multiple people can't do any work as a result?"

"Yes."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

unless you have some ridiculously old devices I guess

Case in point, the legacy to modern trick requires 15.6+ so iphones older than 6s or ipads older than a air2 will not be able to switch. Even then, if your fleet is so old, you might want to upgrade it to more modern units.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Gatac posted:

Although not every good Story/change request type ticket has a stereotypical "As X I want Y because Z" single sentence user story, it's a good basic sanity check. Are you writing multiple sentences to describe the whole thing? You should probably slice this into multiple tickets. Are you having trouble formulating what must be done in this form? Consider whether this is A Thing you really want to do with a Story ticket.

Like, toss that poo poo into Refinement. What are your acceptance criteria other than "it is complete"? What tests are you writing to check this? If the thing cannot be described in such terms, then I reckon it's got to be handled another way.

I always really hate that early scrum mutation to use user stories as the core backlog element instead of just using perfectly reasonable features - watching intelligent people try and convert non-functional requirements or batch processes or API calls into the user story format leaves me biting my nails up to the wrists.

(big fan of user stories as validation of your design and as ACs, but i've had to metaphorically shake PMs by the collar and say 'a list of user stories does not constitute a system design, you have to sit down and think about how your system fits together at some point')

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

We used to have a manager who was notoriously bad at making user stories. They'd come across a random bug (in their mind, sometimes it wasn't even a bug), and create an absolutely bare-bones ticket that was mostly "thing does x".

We'd always have to chase them down and ask "is x what it SHOULD do, or what it's currently doing? (and if the latter, what SHOULD it be doing?)". I could always spot when a ticket was created by them without looking at the name, and I hated it.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Gatac posted:

0 or NULL values? Be sure to have a pedantic discussion about the meaning of NULL (Irrelevant to this case? Not measured? Input outside of permissible range?) with the stakeholders, they love that. Then get all validation stuff nailed down up front and protect your table with either a shitton of constraints or only allowing insertion through a table API that validates the data according to those rules. Better to have bad data fail right away on Insertion than have it gently caress up your processes down the line.

Those are good points thank you.

Zeros (0)

The default value of the form is zero as some measurements use functions based on other measurements. As the points are entered, the function updates. So if non number values are entered an error is thrown immediately.
Using try/ except for functions resulted in too many issues. To track properly.

I ended up doing a zero value confirmation. If they don't want to remove unused points , they get to confirm or deny them.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Breetai posted:

"Your priority is to enter your program of work for the next two fortnights into Jira by tomorrow as I'm on leave for a month and need to see what you'll be doing."

"This will be challenging to achieve as it relies upon me first scoping out a multi-month-long program of work that will inform the next several sprints which is a time-intensive task that I haven't even been able to start thinking about because I spent every working minute last week attending to the support desk and the support desk continues to demand my time and there are several urgent access requests from people who are literally blocked from being able to do their work until they are cleared."

"Then don't attend to the support desk until it is done."

"Even if multiple people can't do any work as a result?"

"Yes."

"Can I get that in writing with your signature?"