Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would you target a hundred irreplaceable cruise missiles at Ukrainian coffee shops when your adversary is busily popping your command centers and ammunition dumps? Who loving knows with this poo poo

I wonder if it indicates increasing confidence in the ability to replace cruise missiles through sanction evasion or whatever but also I'm 100% sure it's a moronic tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1579433829789765632?s=46&t=6gBaZ1jRx3HFY-we7wipxQ

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We know General Motors is represented there from the footage shot from humvees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DnRn9hyFU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Russian is super rusty, but I think I heard "Let's go you loving bitch!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

owns

sounds like someone ripping off a pkm just to see if it works as well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fuckin nice. Love to see it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You could probably get russian soldiers to kill their chains of command if you threw in a handful of dryers and microwaves to sweeten the pot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No he only works on camera people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

If Poland just stacks enough washing machines at the border, any attack will fall apart quickly.

Curse this global appliance shortage!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

First prize is a new Lada.
Second place gets a set of toilet bowls.
Third place is a Javllin'.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

First prize is a new Lada.
Second place gets a set of toilet bowls.
Third place is a Javllin'.

Booby prizeis something in .45LC

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 10, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man Russia sure did a good job of blowing up all those parks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is grim and bad poo poo, but very very important. This is taken from right before a body is rolled into a pit (the one that garbage people are claiming to be murdered by Ukrainians). You can see a man blindfolded being lead by Russian soldiers. He’s dumped into the pit in the widely seen clip. The Russians are just re-creating the SS’ mobile killing squads.

code:

https://twitter.com/thescrubmaster/status/1579538201605443584?s=46&t=Kl7SMi_ryg2oMhHuixwrpQ

:nms:

It’s important and news worthy though.

Also I’m going to say this, anyone, regardless of which forum it’s posted in, claims these are Ukrainians killed by Ukrainians should get a ban.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Ugh

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I know and the fact the Russians (along with its sycophants) are blaming the Ukrainians, is vile.

For something less bleak (well not for Russia) I give you Russian Engineering.

https://twitter.com/golub/status/1579552541138096128?s=46&t=Kl7SMi_ryg2oMhHuixwrpQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"we already have trains up and running again...."

".....on a different part of the track"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would you target a hundred irreplaceable cruise missiles at Ukrainian coffee shops when your adversary is busily popping your command centers and ammunition dumps? Who loving knows with this poo poo

I feel like the Blitz of London is a good comparator.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Another war on the rocks: https://warontherocks.com/2022/10/what-will-be-ukraines-pre-winter-gains/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Blitz was a systematic bombing campaign that killed over 40,000 civilians and at one point went unceasing for nearly two months. Even when Russia attempts a terror bombing they’re pathetic.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When the king of Arms Control says it's time for ATACMS....there are no more excuses.

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1579487935203725313?s=20&t=2ynI0-Yh9_EtVUB-ugzEdg

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Blitz was a systematic bombing campaign that killed over 40,000 civilians and at one point went unceasing for nearly two months. Even when Russia attempts a terror bombing they’re pathetic.

The tonnage of explosives dropped in a single night of the blitz is probably greater than the total weight of warheads in Russia’s missile stocks.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

*GE enters the room*

You joke, but most of GE's European offices are in Poland. A lot of the power generation and healthcare stuff was manufactured in Ukraine and moved to Poland for final assembly; when the war kicked off, a huge, huge, huge chunk of their Russian office fled west and is now set up in Poland and France.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gay picnic defence posted:

The tonnage of explosives dropped in a single night of the blitz is probably greater than the total weight of warheads in Russia’s missile stocks.

blitz killed 40,000 and destroyed or damaged 2 million homes over 8 months. There aren't great numbers on civilians killed, but I'd be very surprised if the number of dead civilians from Russian shelling, bombing and missile strikes is not significantly above that. Similarly Russia has displaced ~12 million people in Ukraine. As of a 1-2 months ago Ukraine was saying 140,000 destroyed or damaged residential buildings leaving 3.5million homeless. Given the scale of observable destruction and particularly russia's targeting of apartment buildings and use of indiscriminate weapons on residential areas, 140,000 destroyed buildings is not at all implausible. Particularly in the last few months, pretty much every village and town Ukraine repatriates is very heavily damaged.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-citizens-seeking-war-reparations-face-uphill-struggle-2022-09-07/
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1554396189239418881

I think people heavily underestimate the incredible amount of munitions Russia has used against Ukraine. the only reason they don't use more missiles and bombs is that their military is not doctrinally setup around heavy use of bombers and high end missilery and the supply simply is not that high of missiles and ukraine's air defenses are too intact for heavy bombers. Daily expenditure of mlrs and artillery though hit extremely high levels by any standard back before Ukraine had the capacity to aggressively target russian munition stockpiles.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ukraine was pushed back in the Donbass simply because Russia leveled everything with artillery and there was nothing to hold.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/spook_info/status/1579567910942838784?s=46&t=MXnw5IQfLv4ARFIDgof7HA

I like to think if anyone in the US military proposed a strike like this a JAG would hit them with a wrench.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

like to think if anyone in the US military proposed a strike like this a JAG would hit them with a wrench.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a war crimes tribunal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

nah more like the 1944-45 yeeting wildly inaccurate V1s into the void after the war was already lost

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shame on an IGA posted:

nah more like the 1944-45 yeeting wildly inaccurate V1s into the void after the war was already lost

At least V-1s were designed for land attack. The same can't be said of AS-4s.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 11, 2022

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm looking forward to the Russians accidentally deploying their handful of T-14 Armata - which will then likely get shredded by small arms fire as its all going to be fibre-glass and fairing compound.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

blitz killed 40,000 and destroyed or damaged 2 million homes over 8 months. There aren't great numbers on civilians killed, but I'd be very surprised if the number of dead civilians from Russian shelling, bombing and missile strikes is not significantly above that. Similarly Russia has displaced ~12 million people in Ukraine. As of a 1-2 months ago Ukraine was saying 140,000 destroyed or damaged residential buildings leaving 3.5million homeless. Given the scale of observable destruction and particularly russia's targeting of apartment buildings and use of indiscriminate weapons on residential areas, 140,000 destroyed buildings is not at all implausible. Particularly in the last few months, pretty much every village and town Ukraine repatriates is very heavily damaged.

Oh, the places within range of Russia's artillery are getting shredded, absolutely. I was more referring to Russia's capacity to strike deep into Ukraine. Compared to the blitz anywhere away from the front lines is going to be relatively unscathed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Are we really waxing rhapsodic over the great city leveling bomber fleets of yore?

“Back in my day you knew you were in a war when it took three hours for all the bombs to stop falling”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Murgos posted:

Are we really waxing rhapsodic over the great city leveling bomber fleets of yore?

“Back in my day you knew you were in a war when it took three hours for all the bombs to stop falling”

Talking about how ineffectual and disorganized the terror campaign is is not actually a request for Russia to step it up

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/spook_info/status/1579567910942838784?s=46&t=MXnw5IQfLv4ARFIDgof7HA

I like to think if anyone in the US military proposed a strike like this a JAG would hit them with a wrench.

Forgot about all those afghani weddings, eh?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

My Spirit Otter posted:

Plus that AC-130 pounding a doctors without borders hospital for a few hours.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

Plus that AC-130 pounding a doctors without borders hospital for a few hours.

Wasn't that found to be just straight up miscommunication between the JTAC and the air crew, vs. some kind of pre-authorized strike?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

psydude posted:

Wasn't that found to be just straight up miscommunication between the JTAC and the air crew, vs. some kind of pre-authorized strike?

No, it was negligent murder. They targeted the building based on second hand reports with no confirmation, and didn't check a list of known medical buildings not to target before lighting up the hospital. Their communication and navigation equipment that would have let them confirm their target was down, but they fired 200+ shells into the building anyway. And they didn't stop even when the hospital personnel were begging them to because again, they decided to engage without working communications. The building was also marked as a hospital, the crew chose to ignore that or just weren't really looking. The military then repeatedly lied about the events until third parties called them out for it and the media attention forced an investigation - an (internal only) investigation in which 16 people got an administrative punishment and nothing else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, it was negligent murder. They targeted the building based on second hand reports with no confirmation, and didn't check a list of known medical buildings not to target before lighting up the hospital. Their communication and navigation equipment that would have let them confirm their target was down, but they fired 200+ shells into the building anyway. And they didn't stop even when the hospital personnel were begging them to because again, they decided to engage without working communications. The building was also marked as a hospital, the crew chose to ignore that or just weren't really looking. The military then repeatedly lied about the events until third parties called them out for it and the media attention forced an investigation - an (internal only) investigation in which 16 people got an administrative punishment and nothing else.

Classic GWOT right there. But not as classic as droning an aid worker and a family of 10 to bring things to a close.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Spirit Otter posted:

True, but when we drop off a wedding present or a donation to MSF, it's due to incompetence and negligence vs intentional or malice. I mean in the end, it's still the same outcome, but it's not the intentional goal. I know big consolation that hey we didn't mean to pink mist your wedding on purpose. But there is something just infinitely worse then planning to kill civilians as an operation goal, in the post WWII era.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1579846373054509058?s=20&t=UBFL9ztZ9d-Pf0YoflfYow
Haha get hosed KSA and a big shoutout to my POS brother in law who works for them!

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 11, 2022

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Meanwhile Doctors Without Borders stopped sharing their facilities' coordinates in Syria after they noticed that these were being deliberately striked by Syria and Russian allies shortly after publishing them.

So when in a conflict zone, avoid Doctors Without Borders hospitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/katiedrumm/status/1579855773433143297

he is just the worst