Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought I had made it to the end of act 1 in DQ11 but it turns out what I was assuming was the end of act 2 is the ACTUAL end of act 1 and just good lord lol. maybe I won’t manage to complete it this year but I’ll still give it a good try. this just isn’t a game I want to rush because that would mess with the vibes

You’ve watched the Tim vids on it right? He does such a great job capturing why DQXI is so special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

acksplode posted:

I'm not wild about it either, but it's easy to see how it puts significant drag on signing up a new account, so it's going to do a lot to deter cheating and ban evasion.

If only there were some other way to execute that exact same minor hurdle to entry that didn't depend largely on economic stratification.

Then again, I was just reading yesterday about the drone-based wifi attacks at some bank or something or other. Attackers spent easily fifteen grand on the single-use drones, including a custom board on the second one, and the takeaway I got was "Never underestimate the resolve of a shithead with money."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Thanks for all the headset words! I added a few to my wishlist and I’ll watch for a sale. :3:

Blizzard are the worst company. I wish people would stop giving them money. They haven’t made anything good in ages and their recent innovations have been monetization tricks that make gaming worse. (Shoutout to Blizzard Deathwatch :cheers:)

Act 3 of DQ11 is the final third of the story and part of the main game. Skipping it is crazy talk. Take a break if you must, but you don’t want to miss the dramatic conclusion to one of the finest JRPGs in decades. Plus Act 3 is when the gear, crafting and combat really start to shine.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

jesus! I pay £20 a month for 160GB data and unlimited everything else

who with? aint o2 lol then again unlimited everything with them for 30ish i think or a bit more but i droped it to 15gb and im paying 20 so...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Amazon at least in Canada is having a big sale currently, including some severely discounted headphones. While it has no microphone and is wired, the normally cad$260-320 Sennheiser HD 599 are currently cad$120ish.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Instead of requiring a phone in of itself, which causes issues with the prepaid poo poo, they could require users authenticate with the Battle.net authenticator. Your phone has a unique ID so if someone cheats, they can ban the account and blacklist that phone's ID. A cheater would have to buy a new phone or find a hacky solution. It would not deter the same number as cheaters as the current method, but it wouldn't exclude nearly as many people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

who with? aint o2 lol then again unlimited everything with them for 30ish i think or a bit more but i droped it to 15gb and im paying 20 so...

EE. they got the best 5G

Kilometers Davis posted:

You’ve watched the Tim vids on it right? He does such a great job capturing why DQXI is so special.

They were what made me buy it!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Instead of requiring a phone in of itself, which causes issues with the prepaid poo poo, they could require users authenticate with the Battle.net authenticator. Your phone has a unique ID so if someone cheats, they can ban the account and blacklist that phone's ID. A cheater would have to buy a new phone or find a hacky solution that. It would not deter the number as cheaters as the current method, but it wouldn't exclude nearly as many people.

I don't know if authenticators work in a way where they can ban specific devices like that, I think all the important variables are resettable. And many people have a shitload of old phones kicking around, plus you can emulate phones (specifically for development purposes).

This approach of requiring an actual phone number is the "best" way for Activision because there isn't a cost on their end for supporting it really, they don't need like a staff of people vetting requests manually.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No More Heroes 3 is out on PS4/5 now, if anyone cares.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The fundamental problem is trying to ensure one account per human by tying it to something that already has that property. Accounts on consoles or computers don't fit the bill because anyone can generate an unlimited number of them. There aren't a lot of things other than government IDs suitable for this, and phone numbers also have the advantage of being universal worldwide

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

man nurse posted:

No More Heroes 3 is out on PS4/5 now, if anyone cares.
it's on game pass so i'm gonna give it a try there

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

univbee posted:

I don't know if authenticators work in a way where they can ban specific devices like that, I think all the important variables are resettable. And many people have a shitload of old phones kicking around, plus you can emulate phones (specifically for development purposes).

This approach of requiring an actual phone number is the "best" way for Activision because there isn't a cost on their end for supporting it really, they don't need like a staff of people vetting requests manually.

Exactly. Zero cost to them, effectively, and the added bonus of excluding people who can't afford microtransactions! win-win-win! Synergy! Paradigm! Six-Sigma!

It's...surprisingly easy to just not engage with or participate in these schemes. I used to have a Diablo collection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just can't trust a franchise that keeps finding new heroes after saying there were none left.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They ought to at least have a backup avenue to allow players to authenticate manually via customer support, the same way you do if you lose access to your authenticator.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Instead of requiring a phone in of itself, which causes issues with the prepaid poo poo, they could require users authenticate with the Battle.net authenticator. Your phone has a unique ID so if someone cheats, they can ban the account and blacklist that phone's ID. A cheater would have to buy a new phone or find a hacky solution. It would not deter the same number as cheaters as the current method, but it wouldn't exclude nearly as many people.

What gives you confidence that unique ID can't be easily spoofed? Genuine question, idk how phones work, but I just googled "Android device id spoof" and found a ton of results that look like they could circumvent that sort of enforcement. I know that ad fraud using fake clicks from farms of phones with spoofed identities is a thing, so I have a hunch this approach was considered and discarded.

This is a tough problem, and I suspect that all the known solutions to it come down to finding a reliable signal that a user spent money on something, if not charging them money directly to use the service you're trying to secure.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

acksplode posted:

What gives you confidence that unique ID can't be easily spoofed?

At least with MAC spoofing you have to, like, try a little. Hahahaha.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

acksplode posted:

What gives you confidence that unique ID can't be easily spoofed? Genuine question, idk how phones work, but I just googled "Android device id spoof" and found a ton of results that look like they could circumvent that sort of enforcement. I know that ad fraud using fake clicks from farms of phones with spoofed identities is a thing, so I have a hunch this approach was considered and discarded.

This is a tough problem, and I suspect that all the known solutions to it come down to finding a reliable signal that a user spent money on something, if not charging them money directly to use the service you're trying to secure.

I literally said someone would have to use a hacky solution like what you mentioned. As I said, it would not eliminate all cheating, but it would help curb some of it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The thing is authenticator design is basically "these codes can only be generated from the random key on this device" and aren't really designed in a context of "you can only use one and we can ban it", I think the expectation was a ban is a separate thing that's more on the account side and not the authenticator side. You can also set up multiple devices to have the same authenticator profiles, at least with some authenticator apps, and almost all authenticator apps (including for Battle.net) are restorable to different hardware so they're not really using anything particularly hardware-specific. And it also means bans are guaranteed to be temporary because people will eventually replace their phones and get a new hardware profile to authenticate with as a result.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just segregate the pc nerds again like God intended, problem solved

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I literally said someone would have to use a hacky solution like what you mentioned. As I said, it would not eliminate all cheating, but it would help curb some of it.

I suspect it could curb a tiny fraction. Abuse via phones with spoofed identities is down to a science at this point, since phones and mobile ads have been around for a while.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

History Comes Inside! posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Casnorf posted:

It's...surprisingly easy to just not engage with or participate in these schemes.

This is the way.

But this too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

butt dickus posted:

it's on game pass so i'm gonna give it a try there

Cool, same

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Being able to play online games with other people in the same house owns, please do not segregate me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can’t wait for Diablo 4 :getin:

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
So I sent my system in for repairs because everytime I woke the system up from rest mode it would just freeze. Sony sent the system back to me today and said that nothing is wrong with it and didn't repair anything. So yay. 500 dollar system I've had for less than 5 months and it just won't ever be able to do everything it's supposed to do. gently caress sony.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Does Blizzard still have the creepy little goblin man from the Epstein flight logs as CEO?

I really need to catch up on Blizzard Deathwatch but I’m over 19k posts behind. :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hoffadoff posted:

So I sent my system in for repairs because everytime I woke the system up from rest mode it would just freeze. Sony sent the system back to me today and said that nothing is wrong with it and didn't repair anything. So yay. 500 dollar system I've had for less than 5 months and it just won't ever be able to do everything it's supposed to do. gently caress sony.

gently caress Sony, but I wouldn’t give up just yet. If it recurs make a big stink with customer service, they might relent. Alternatively, there’s social media, but idk how effective that is without the right reach.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BGrifter posted:

Does Blizzard still have the creepy little goblin man from the Epstein flight logs as CEO?

I really need to catch up on Blizzard Deathwatch but I’m over 19k posts behind. :negative:

They were also recently caught denying raises for employees that were trying to unionize lol.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hoffadoff posted:

Did you try a full factory reset? Rest mode completely bricked my system and I managed to fix it by going into Safe Mode and doing a full reset (rip my saved videos and screenshots). I don't use rest mode anymore.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I just plugged it in and had to set up everything again so I think they factory reset it. I'll try a few more things and see if it will work. If not I'll call support and see if they'll do anything for me. If not then gently caress it. Maybe I'll just sell the loving thing and get a Xbox.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't know if this would address the issue, and it's a pain in the rear end, but less of one than a full factory reset might be. It requires some level of external storage formatted for PlayStation games and apps (and I'm including an M.2 drive as an external here), but it helped me fix a borked game install that refused to be fixed any other way. I was getting ready to do a factory reset but my issue (being unable to install DLC for a specific game) was fixed just short of me doing a full factory reset, I accidentally stumbled into the below fix before pushing the big "nuke everything" button.

- Move everything off your internal storage to either your M.2 drive if you have one, or external USB storage. Obviously, you can delete certain things if that's easier. Basically you want your internal storage to be devoid of apps, but can still have your account/saves/etc., just no apps actually on the internal including benign stuff like Netflix etc.

- Fully power off the console, and remove your external storage, including your M.2 drive (you can put it back in later and it'll still have your stuff on it).

- Turn the console back on. Check and see if you're still having the issue you're having. If yes, try doing the full "database rebuild" and other options other than factory reset in safe mode.

This should erase any errant data on the console that you might not be able to manage, things like corrupted installs and DLC for games which aren't actually installed. If your console is gitching out because of something like a corrupted installation that you can't actually see or manage, these steps will likely purge it outright. Once that's done you can reconnect your USB storage and/or power off and reinstall your M.2 storage. If the problem returns when you do one of these things it's possible there's something corrupted in a random game's installation and you might have to start deleting stuff until you get lucky and find it (you might be able to find it by moving things from external or M.2 to internal; odds are good a corrupt install would either error out or also trigger the freeze).

EDIT given that they completely factory reset it maybe that will fix the problem. It's possible they worded it poorly and meant "everything was fine after a factory reset and since that isn't a hardware repair you're not being charged for it". If it's still borked then yeah, either make a stink on social media about it or offload it somehow.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
Yeah they factory reset the system and my m.2 drive is empty right now but the system was doing this before I even got that. I guess I could try and format my external drive and see if that fixes it. All my saves are backed up to the cloud so I guess it would just be about 2.5 terabytes of games I'd have to download or reinstall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

AV Club: Are you familiar with the name Hideo Kojima?

John Carpenter: Yes.

AVC: Have you met him? He has a character named Solid Snake…

JC: I do know about Solid Snake. I know about that. No, he wrote me. I think he wrote me in lieu of the company paying me any money whatsoever.

AVC: Ha!

JC: He just said, “Hey, how you doing?” But I know who he is, sure.

AVC: Have you played those games?

JC: Oh, no. My son did. I looked at them, but I didn’t play them.

king

acksplode
May 17, 2004

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/john-carpenter-loves-fallout-and-sonic-finds-red-dead-redemption-too-hard-3301612

quote:

Carpenter admitted he plays a little bit of everything before diving into specifics. “I’ve been playing this game for quite a while, it’s called Fallout 76,” he continued. “The Fallout games are fun, it’s like a post-apocalyptic world. This game had a rough launch, with problems and bugs, but I really like it. There’s this incredible game called Horizon Forbidden West. Astonishing game.”

Talk then turned to Red Dead Redemption, with Carpenter saying he tried to play it but “couldn’t get on the drat horse,” so he “gave up. It was too hard.”
He'll play Fallout 76 but not MGS. Filthy casual. Never ask your heroes what their favorite games are

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He also got stuck on the generator starting minigame in TLOU2

He may be a king and a legend and one of the greatest genre directors of all time but he's still an Old

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're John loving Carpenter, you get to be Old

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arist posted:

If you're John loving Carpenter, you get to be Old

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU